Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have faith. 6 of the last 8 games are at home, and the teams we play will get more and more desperate for points. Defend well, and we'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is the heart of the thing.

Bez and Vanney are both guys who didn't get this shot because they "deserved" it (Bez especially, I accept that Vanney looks like some other MLS coaches)

Manning will think hard about this because the mgmt/leadership team here is, in total, unusually junior. He didn't pick this route, and has to think very hard about making it his.

I doubt he will.

That is how I would bet it, anyway. I may not know soccer, but I have a passing familiarity with how suits think.
    Even Bez, man. First thing Manning said was the defense needs to be improved, Bez made a bunch of defensive moves and we now have a top 3 defense in the league. Job done.

There's frankly nothing that should encourage Manning to change anything at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the heart of the thing.

Bez and Vanney are both guys who didn't get this shot because they "deserved" it (Bez especially, I accept that Vanney looks like some other MLS coaches)

Manning will think hard about this because the mgmt/leadership team here is, in total, unusually junior. He didn't pick this route, and has to think very hard about making it his.

I doubt he will.

That is how I would bet it, anyway. I may not know soccer, but I have a passing familiarity with how suits think.
    And for most on the "pro-Vanney" side the bolded part is basically the whole debate.
    For me anyways, I find the narrative of the "anti-Vanney" crowd is to replace him with a "proven MLS coach with a track record".
    I've pressed people a few times on a specific name and got crickets in return......fact is 2 coaches in NA fit that description.....Arena and Schmidt.
    Now granted, Sigi was fired yesterday, but I have a hard time buying into the argument when people are essentially looking for a unicorn to replace him.

Any replacement will look close to how Vanney did when he first came in, but TFC is looking very good right now so why bother, is the debate from the "pro-Vanney" side.
    Even I will say that if results start to slip, things will need to be evaluated, but things should stay as thay are for this year.

Well, when you put it that way! ;-)

If we finish strong, then you are all probably right (same way MU did keep Casey)

But I just doubt we'll finish strong enough for that to happen.

Also, thanks to Kurt, appreciate you mixing it up with anonymous people who disagree, and have the luxury of throwing thunderbolts without owning the consequences.
    Yeah I agree.....big thanks to Kurt for coming on here to engage us!
    I didn't agree with all he said (mostly past articles in The Sun regarding his positivity during the Paul Mariner era), but he comes on here to provide us insight and can certainly take it as well as he gives it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen of Vanney so far, he is starting to make fewer tactical mistakes in player selection/substitution and better adjustments as the season has progressed. Honestly, I can only rate Kreis and Arena ahead of him in terms of coaching quality and they're not going anywhere. The other coaches all seem interchangeable at this point and won't get us anything better. He is good enough for the league in its current form and seems likely to continue improving as does the league quality over the next decade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Where is all this coming from? Who are you or I to judge if Bez deserved to be hired? Don't think either one of us sat in the interview or had the shortlist of candidates.

I don't mean to offend you but your posts are bordering on sounding hysterical. It appears you have a strong dislike of both Bez and Vanney and you're justifying it by coming up with conspiracies that have Manning not liking them either. Where you're getting this is beyond me.

Just enjoy the soccer! We're on one of our best runs in history and we've got a home stretch coming up. Should be fun.
    Not true. I don't think Bez is up to it, but Vanney, I am just not sure. I don't like that a neophyte got to appoint Vanney without a process, but I am very influenced by the morale point someone made a few posts big, that is a big positive for Vanney. Also Saturday's win was massive.

You think I'm inventing Manning's coolness towards these two?

Go look at Manning's public statements. For all of you satisfied with 2015, he was "embarrased". He has done nothing but say "we'll see" when talking about management, except for his off season handling of Vanney (with the 8 game clock), which was (i) incredibly rough, and (ii) something Bez, not Manning, should have been speaking to. Since then, pretty much nothing but crickets.

I am enjoying the soccer immensely btw. Don't worry.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-23-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You certainly aren't. He is quite non-committal.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As this is a Vanney thread, I'll drop this here. Reached Vanney by phone last night.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/22...in-the-mls-cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true. I don't think Bez is up to it, but Vanney, I am just not sure. I don't like that a neophyte got to appoint Vanney without a process, but I am very influenced by the morale point someone made a few posts big, that is a big positive for Vanney. Also Saturday's win was massive.

Go look at Manning's public statements. For all of you satisfied with 2015, he was "embarrased". He has done nothing but say "we'll see" when talking about management, except for his off season handling of Vanney (with the 8 game clock), which was (i) incredibly rough, and (ii) something Bez, not Manning, should have been speaking to. Since then, pretty much nothing but crickets.

I am enjoying the soccer immensely btw. Don't worry.
    Manning undoubtedly took a wait and see approach heading into 2016, which all new presidents do.
    I wouldn't say he's "cool" towards them. That's simply made up at this point, from what I can tell.
    Truth is, we don't really know what Manning is thinking.
    What I do know is that Vanney is heading into the final year of his deal.
    Last edited by KurtLarSUN; 08-23-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. And, I'm always around to explain any of my positions that are confusing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a philly blogger

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2016/8/...inco-altidore?

7.) Reds menace - Perhaps the most fearsome unit in MLS is the Toronto FC defense. While overshadowed constantly by the glitz and glamour of the Altidore - Giovinco show, this Toronto defense is one of the best in MLS, and they showed how in the second half. The Union dominated possession in the second half, and took a lot of shots at Alex Bono, but most were poor quality shots that made for easy saves or to make people holding beer in the River End have to watch out for screamers heading their way. Toronto knew the Union was going to come at them with a lot of offensive firepower, and TFC bunkered and smothered the Union. Even in the .gif above you can see how many men in white are back defending (seven behind the ball at the start). Down one was okay, but down two to this unit and there was no shot.

Philly is not a weak team offensively.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would resign Vanney on another two year deal, I think he has grown a lot as a manager and has shown to be flexible and pragmatic when needed. Its refreshing to see him change tactics and formation(3 at the back) instead of hammering away at one way to play like in the past with Preki/Winter/Marinier.

After the San Jose game I was seriously concerned but now I'm convinced he has what it takes to be a very good MLS coach/manager, the team could have flopped after the SJ game like TFC teams of past but we showed character in returning to form. A part of that is Giovinco taking the team on his back, but I think what Vanney did best was prepare the team mentally and tactically after the debacle.

I think taking our team through the home schedule with injuries to manage, rotating players, and getting guys fit at the same time showed a lot of maturity as a manager.

He isn't perfect, and the team still needs work on breaking a bunkering team down, but I'm in full support of him.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vanney's biggest downfall are his substitutions. He can set a game up and have it run, but when it comes time to change up the tempo - this is where he fails. That alone is not a good enough reason to not re-sign him.

I also think that people who use the argument - "well, it's "so and so player" that makes him look good, so you can't really give him credit for the positive results" - have no real point to make against Vanney so they revert to giving credit to everyone except him.

Also - I don't get why Bez is not up to the job...Isn't he the one who helped build this current roster? brought in guys like Drew Moor, Steven Beitashour, Will Johnson, Marky Delgado? Was part of the team that brokered the Defoe for Altidore swap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't understand why you feel as though Manning may wrestle with the decision to keep Bez (or Vanney) when the team is performing very well and in all likelihood will finish the season with a first round playoff bye. If we finish top 2, Bez and Vanney did enough, full stop. And Manning is going to see it that way - this is the guy that kept the same coach during his entire tenure at RSL, who's preached stability since he arrived here, and who had the opportunity to clean house at the start of this year but decided against it. That's his MO - stick with what works. This is working, and if it continues working, Manning won't change a thing, nor should he.
    I don't think our position in the standings will be the determining factor, even if we earn a first round bye. If we can't win our opening series in the playoffs, their jobs could very well be in jeopardy.

There are mitigating factors such as the health of our starting lineup, but this club needs to take the next step in order for the season to truly be deemed a success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you change coaches you need to build a team to fit that coaches style, which could take a couple transfer windows. Why make a change now when we are just starting to see the fruits of the labour these guys have put in?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want Manning to be non-committal. I want him to always be ready if need be to make a decision based on whether its in the best interests of the franchise to keep this GM or that coach. That's why you get a President - to be the keeper of the overall vision both in terms of on field and off field. Even with a new contract or a contract extension, anybody can be fired. If the vision of how TFC should play is solid, then getting rid of a coach or GM shouldn't mean as much upheaval as we have seen in the past. There is some upheaval because GM's and coaches have different ideas how to get that vision done. But it shouldn't be the revolving door we had for 8+ seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now TFC top the MLS Power Rankings...it's time we band together, storm BMO Field and demand Vanney's resignation!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...eir-way-top-10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    And now TFC top the MLS Power Rankings...it's time we band together, storm BMO Field and demand Vanney's resignation!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...eir-way-top-10
    Wow that's cool. Doesn't mean much, but I like to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why are you so quiet over there...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    why are you so quiet over there...

Odd, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone hear Mannings interview around the 30th minute? I wonder what his comments were and how they relate to some people's opinion of him and his view of the management.

Anyways.. just another ROAD win.. no big deal. Switched 3 starters out... used fresh legs... changed formation... got a super sub goal... ........FIRST IN EAST.

Let's blow it up and start all over because it took too long, management is inexperienced, and we're spending too much on terrible players.

THIS is why you give your management team 3 years to prove themselves... let them build a roster they want and you'll be able to see if they're successful or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#VanneyOut, you haven't won the Club World Cup yet? You bastard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#IsquishYourHead

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    #VanneyOut, you haven't won the Club World Cup yet? You bastard!
    That's next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still remember the time about 3 years ago when Vancouver was marketing their Voyageurs semi match with us as "the road to the Club World Championship starts here" complete with pictures of Messi et al.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm impressed with how Vanney has managed Altidore. The timing of the substitution in the Orlando match was perfect.

More impressive has been the youth. He was able to field a squad with a lot of young players and win.

Resting both starting fullbacks was a calculated risk and nearly bit TFC, but worked in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having watched the end of the video, i'll now be referring to Vanney as Fuckin Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm impressed with how Vanney has managed Altidore. The timing of the substitution in the Orlando match was perfect.

More impressive has been the youth. He was able to field a squad with a lot of young players and win.

Resting both starting fullbacks was a calculated risk and nearly bit TFC, but worked in the end.
    I understand why Vanney chooses to field Williams, Hagglund, and Moor in the back three but I think it looked way better with Zavaleta on the field. There's just not enough football smarts in Williams and Hagglund to have them on at the same time (only referring to a back three defence).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He and Bez are forcing Manning's hand. I am coming around too. We didn't look good but results are results.

We always dropped points in games like these last two historically.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Manning....

Anyone got a recap of his interview during the game last night?