Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    youre missing my point... And by talking about not having experience like columbus, are you somehow refering to our history as having anything to do with how you're rating Vanney?

I agree with what you are saying...just built on it. I'm saying we don't know have local reference points to judge how managers should be in comparison to the rest of the league. But having watched this league and seen how other coaches do, I rate Vanney against them with a B rating.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a bigger effect than I thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When teams have 1-2 man advantage, against weaker sides, you should be winning regardless of where your playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    When teams have 1-2 man advantage, against weaker sides, you should be winning regardless of where your playing.
    Agreed, but that is more on the players then it is the coach.... He sets up the team, but the guys on the pitch need to execute and perform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 man teams park the bus, if it's a tied game when the player is sent off then good luck trying to score coz it's guna be a 10 man defence in front of you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched decades of football through my days and I've seen enough top world teams fail to win with the advantage when opponents park the bus. It's how it goes if the opponent is organized defensively and is playing to hold the draw.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing and contrasting the SJE and the Houston games, I'd say the running off the ball was slightly better in the second game. But nobody took long range shots. If they are going to not let you pass your way to the goal, shoot the darn ball and force them to come out a bit more. I would have liked to see Bradley on Sunday just put the laces behind a few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're up two you should win, or at least not concede! Up one is not as big an advantage as many think. Especially when teams park it, as others have said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Watched decades of football through my days and I've seen enough top world teams fail to win with the advantage when opponents park the bus. It's how it goes if the opponent is organized defensively and is playing to hold the draw.
    Only small percentage will hold off losing when down players and its mostly when you have 2 top clubs or teams on a similar level. In this case, it's a top and bottom table game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only small percentage will hold off losing when down players and its mostly when you have 2 top clubs or teams on a similar level. In this case, it's a top and bottom table game.
    Top to bottom in MLS is actually quite close. It was a real "achievement" of the dubious sort for TFC to be so consistently bad over 8 years. Parity works strongly against that.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seen top EPL squads get stymied by tough mid table teams enough in my time to know that it happens. The SJ match is different because you should never lose up 2 men but drawing up a man away from home is not a terrible result.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/18...ys-tfcs-vanney

Vanney may have jinxed us with Supporter's Shield talk lol.

At least he can't be accused of not having a winning mentality.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/18...ys-tfcs-vanney

Vanney may have jinxed us with Supporter's Shield talk lol.

At least he can't be accused of not having a winning mentality.
    To be fair, it was me that flat out asked him Thursday: "Do you think the Supporters' Shield is within reach?"

I don't think it is. He says it might be. As I wrote, Toronto FC will likely need eight more wins to claim top spot in the league.

If both Colorado and Dallas stumble, seven wins from final 10 games might do. But, highly unlikely.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/08/18/...ys-tfcs-vanney

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    To be fair, it was me that flat out asked him Thursday: "Do you think the Supporters' Shield is within reach?"

I don't think it is. He says it might be. As I wrote, Toronto FC will likely need eight more wins to claim top spot in the league.

If both Colorado and Dallas stumble, seven wins from final 10 games might do. But, highly unlikely.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/08/18/...ys-tfcs-vanney
    ♫Same old Larson, Always Jinxing.♫

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More varied attack this week, I'm glad Vanney was reading this thread last week, lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a big game for Vanney. Philly needed this game. We didn't. That means something.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-20-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That was a big game for Vanney. Philly needed this game. We didn't. That means something.
    A dominant road win is huge.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome.
    Flip flop flip flop.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome.
    Flip flop flip flop.
    I'm wearing flip flops right now.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome.
    Flip flop flip flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm wearing flip flops right now.
    Flip Flops hurt me where the strap goes between my big toe and it's neighbour.
    Never could wear them.
    I'm totally against flip flops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Flip Flops hurt me where the strap goes between my big toe and it's neighbour.
    Never could wear them.
    I'm totally against flip flops.
    Yah I don't do the ones with the toe splitters. Gotta keep all the toes together or nothing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate flip flops. They don't stay on my feet and they making them dirty.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woke up this morning to see that Vanney is still our manager. Absolutely disgusted with management.

When will they realize that us fans have had ENOUGH of this success and consistency?!?

I'll be going about my day scowling at our current 2nd place standing in the conference, and be bitter about our 6 game unbeaten streak....

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Woke up this morning to see that Vanney is still our manager. Absolutely disgusted with management.

When will they realize that us fans have had ENOUGH of this success and consistency?!?

I'll be going about my day scowling at our current 2nd place standing in the conference, and be bitter about our 6 game unbeaten streak....

What's this got to do with flip flops?
    Stay on topic, buddy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great turnaround vs. Philly!!! I'll be very interested to see what TFC does the next time a team bunkers, tries to draw our defence & DMs out of shape, and to score on the counter. Might we see that vs. Orlando?? Then again, with Cooper coming in, Johnson back (adding speed & toughness in the defensive midfield), and a number of players improving (Bradley, Altidore, Osorio, etc.) it may be less successful anyway to play that way vs. TFC than it was recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you hear the haters sing?....nooooooo.....nooooooooo.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    can you hear the haters sing?....nooooooo.....nooooooooo.....
    And really that's all it is at this point...just simply hating, for no good reason.

I bet all this positivity and success is driving them NUTS. Lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you guys stop with the idiotic and infantile "haters" thing? This is not how this works. You are making this up.

This is a team that was underperforming for Vanney's first year and a half given payroll. They are going to lose a game or two they should have won, yet. Neither of those things are the point.

What I wanted, what I think any thinking fan wants, is to see the team improving, gelling, and going into another playoff team's stadium, for an important game late in the season, and dispatching that team like they were a buzzing fly. Which I don't think I ever saw a TFC team ever do until Saturday.

I mean, I guess I am glad for Vanney, but getting emotionally involved with the coach or management is not the point, and Manning will fire him the second he thinks it makes sense, win streak or not.

Vanney is a suit. If he performs, he maybe gets to keep his job, same as the rest of us. Or Vanney may just leave in any scenario - Manning really hung him out to dry with that "8 game" thing, Vanney may just leave if he has options.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff