Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Mike Petke?
    That's a thought, but I'm not convinced he's any better than Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Mike Petke?
    Part of why I liked Kreis is that I think he would come into our team and make tweaks to the roster. I mean Vanney in a lot of ways mirrors what Kreis tried at RSL, so it only made sense.

Bringing anyone in who doesn't share a similar philosophy to Vanney right now is imploding our season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I really wanted him in the off season but now I don't know. Maybe in the off season again because I think he would cause a big stir initially and unsettle the roster. We'd probably tank most of the second half. Also he must have been a right dick to work himself out of the league after all he accomplished in so short a time with NYRB. I know the fight with upper management but there must be even more to it.
    The word in New York was that he was stubborn and refused to adapt to more modern tactics and approaches; he basically wanted to play old school, MLS 1.0 dump-and-chase. Once they lost Henry, they knew that wouldn't be enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The word in New York was that he was stubborn and refused to adapt to more modern tactics and approaches; he basically wanted to play old school, MLS 1.0 dump-and-chase. Once they lost Henry, they knew that wouldn't be enough.
    Really? That's can't be it...
    they won a supporters shield the year he got fired, who cares how he did it??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about we pick a new GM first, when we are ready to figure out a new coach?

I nominate Bill Manning.

I don't get the whole President thing anyway. Call him President, or call him GM, there is only one captain on the ship.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Really? That's can't be it...
    they won a supporters shield the year he got fired, who cares how he did it??
    I've posted this before but here is Curtis
    “The role of the traditional coach is not just changing—it’s changed,” Curtis said. “You no longer have a traditional coach who can focus primarily on the first team and only has to understand how to organize a training session and the Xs and Os. If that’s the route you’re taking three or four years from now, you’re going to be left behind. This club needed a head coach who not only could understand the direction the club needed to take, [but] be involved in all those areas, from youth development to performance and data analysis to communication—processing the style of play that we wanted to play. We needed a head coach that just wasn’t just involved and integrated, but that had that in his DNA.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's sort of cheesy. So the answer was Jeese Marsh instead of Petke? Why is Marsh's 'DNA' so much different?

I guess these are things we'll probably never know looking from the outside in but the league isn't exactly fully finding Managment teams at this point. Lots of things are still some centrally.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that's sort of cheesy. So the answer was Jeese Marsh instead of Petke? Why is Marsh's 'DNA' so much different?

I guess these are things we'll probably never know looking from the outside in but the league isn't exactly fully finding Managment teams at this point. Lots of things are still some centrally.
    I'm picturing a Maury Povich "You are NOT the coach" DNA test after that quote.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think that's cheesy, fine.

Put it this way then, the head honchos at Red Bull Football want all their clubs to play with a similar style and have a similar approach to development. They deemed Petke not up to scratch and Marsch more suited to what they wanted to do. NYRB had been for years cut adrift from the Red Bull Empire then their Sporting Director wanted to bring them back into the fold and integrate them with their other teams - he felt Petke wasn't the way to go.

The Once A Metro blog have a great series articles covering this topic and how it's been happening http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/2/...alzburg-brazil

It's worth noting that Nelson Rodriguez espoused similar sentiments upon taking the Chicago GM job. Interviewed Petke and then went with the Serbian fella.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting point to all this:

Jesse Marsch is under pressure a bit right now because teams have discovered how to handle the NYRB press. It remains to be seen if he has a plan b. They have a derby game so that will probably lessen the pressure in some ways, as will the game after with Chicago. Then in August they are in the CCL, play away at LAG and home to Montreal.

Supporters for every team in the East baring possibly NYCFC have been questioning the viability of their manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How about we pick a new GM first, when we are ready to figure out a new coach?

I nominate Bill Manning.

I don't get the whole President thing anyway. Call him President, or call him GM, there is only one captain on the ship.
    We should just have a gm and a manager/coach. Give the GM oversight, give the coach the power to pick the players he needs. This go-between business never seems to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree more. This is the reality of MLS 3.0 right now. Most teams don't have any depth.

The Galaxy being the exception and can someone please explain how they do it legally within the frame work of the capped league?

People are getting free shit, hookers, places in far off exotic destinations and making the rest of us look like morons.

The fact that as fans we can basically never know what the financials are with regards to the league and teams is a real deterrent to keeping and expanding the fan base.
    Last edited by Alonso; 07-21-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Regarding the play issue.....I tend to disagree. I though we were playing very well early in the year (8-10 games) when we had our full complement of players.....but that's strictly opinion whether you agree or not.

About the coach issue....sorry but imo "That's up to Manning" is a cop out.
    The explicit narrative from almost all here is an "experienced MLS coach with a track record", which again does not exist outside of Arena and Schmidt. That's nothing Manning has to discover.....it's just fact.
    And as far as I know, Iceland's coach does not have a blessed clue of MLS, so I don't now how bringing a guy like that in would be beneficial.....same for most who would come from Europe.
    Besides, it's a lot easier to have a team bunker down and hope for the best in a 6-7 game tournament (like Iceland did)......much harder to do over an MLS season I'd say...
    and also, around here, that's called "Preki-ball"....something not looked upon very fondly.
    Word to your mother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    What about the Akron coach?
    IMO Embick in a few more years. I threw Weise/Somoano out there because they have more experience either winning championships or consistently being at the top, as well as having a hand in top draft picks or top academy players (ie Matt Hedges or Branden Allen). I threw out McIntyre because he pretty much took a non-existent program and made it a consistent contender in a couple years. I was looking back at Porter's time at Akron and his time there was completely bonkers. Embick I'd be interested to see how the next few years pan out.

I'm not petitioning for an NCAA coach, just suggesting maybe more likely candidates and perhaps a better fit than Cirovski.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    IMO Embick in a few more years. I threw Weise/Somoano out there because they have more experience either winning championships or consistently being at the top, as well as having a hand in top draft picks or top academy players (ie Matt Hedges or Branden Allen). I threw out McIntyre because he pretty much took a non-existent program and made it a consistent contender in a couple years. I was looking back at Porter's time at Akron and his time there was completely bonkers. Embick I'd be interested to see how the next few years pan out.

I'm not petitioning for an NCAA coach, just suggesting maybe more likely candidates and perhaps a better fit than Cirovski.
    He's Porter's protege/apprentice isn't he? He'll for sure get an MLS gig at some point I suspect ( if he wants it that is)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    A lot of people think this but the stats don't lie. We have the same Goal differential as we did last year. We are in the same place as we were last year. (set to maybe squeak into the playoffs) We are averageing 1.1 goals a game this year and we averaged 1.7 last year. We needed to increase out goal differential not decrease goals against. There is an important distinction. If you decrease your goals against at the expense of goals for you achieve nothing. You need to decrease goals against while maintaining goals scored at a similar or great level.
    That's fine but fact is teams who have strong defence have a much greater chance at success from year to year.....FO recognized this and addressed it.....unfortunately in MLS one thing eventually comes at the expense of another.....especially for a free spending team like TFC.....and as far as I know its not Vanney that is spending the money.

By removing 4 offensive pieces and replacing them with draft picks, while adding Will Johnson and not adding an experienced winger on the right we lost out on a avenue of attack.
    Who are these 4 players that we lost which would have such a significant impact on our offence, and whos production couldn't be replaced by current players? And which winger did we have last season who gave us that avenue?

Last year we played Bradley at the top of the diamond Cheyrou at the back. This year that is often reversed. Will Johnson hasn't really provided the kind of service needed to Giovinco.

This has weakened our attack significantly and placed too much pressure on Gio. Part of the reason he is having a hard time is he has 4 players on him much of the time. Yet we don't capitalize on that. The expectation placed on him to be are sole point of attacking through put is likely a major part of why he is an inch off. He is thinking too much. Because we don't have the offensive strength we had last year.

In the end though. Vanney too a team that was exciting to watch last year with a 0 goal differential but one of the highest goals scored and replaced them with a much less exciting team to watch with the same goal differential with nearly the lowest number of goal scored. (only 3 teams have scored fewer than we have)

We are just using injuries as an excuse. This is the issue we have had all season.. we all knew injuries and international duty was going to happen, The back 4 really haven't had many injuries. We are scoring the same number of goals as we were at the beginning of the season. In the end that .6 goals a game we stopped scoring to make our defense better.. but significantly better than we needed to make it.. is the reason we are such a poor team this year. Vanney decided to rely to heavily on 1 or 2 players to great their own chances. Jozy needs service. His time at Sunderland shows what happens when he doesn't get service. last year he got service and scored. This year.. no service no goals. Gio is the one with the ball all the time and defenders swarm him. His confidence has been shaken and he is missing. That is the reason we are loosing.. it has nothing to do with the injuries. And the stats support this. The missing piece is that Gio hasn't scored a goal in the last 8 games he has played. Scoring 4-5 goals in the last 8 he played would have resulted in likely 4-6 extra points. Which would be likely 7th in league and 2nd or 3rd in the Conference. Part of that is also the fact that many of his goals came from assists from Jozy and Will. That means the majority of our offense was coming through 3 players. While last year it was coming from more sources. Seba was scoring but it wasn't the same players assisting his goals. Last year up to this point 9 different players had assists most multiple assists on Seba goals (4 of which are not here any more). Only 5 players this year have assists on his goals. He isn't getting the service he was.

Our Offensive performance and the pressure placed on Giovinco is a major part of the issue... and that is again on two people. You can't score goals if your goal scorers aren't getting good service.
    Giovinco was doing just fine prior to the injuries, so I'm not sure what our team shape/positioning at the start of the season had anything to do with it. Also, much of the pressure Giovinco has been under the past couple of games is self induced. I know its hard for many to admit because he's our league MVP, but imo he's been selfish the past run of games trying to break out of his funk. Once we get some quality back in the line up, I'm very confident he'll go back to the form we're used to.

Injuries are absolutely a factor in all this. Injuries to key players are always a factor in sports. You say the stats don't lie and that's fair enough......but the stats show that Giovinco's slump has almost exactly overlapped our injuries/absences. Being forced to play inferior talent and getting inferior results is simple cause and effect.....Vanney can only use what is at his disposal.

Also, the bolded points kinda contradict eachother....that and Jozy has exactly 1 assist in a TFC shirt which came earlier this year.

Your main debate seems to be that our forwards lack service, so in addition to the rest I'll ask.......who did we have last year that provided this great service?
    And who was providing Altidore with this service last year that is missing now aside form Altidore himself because he can't seem to stay our of the injured list?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And who was providing Altidore with this service last year that is missing now aside form Altidore himself because he can't seem to stay our of the injured list?
    Jackson. No Jackson means no offense.

Football without Jackson is nothing.

Now Bez thinks/hopes Ricketts can be the new Jackson,

But there can be only one....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Jackson. No Jackson means no offense.

Football without Jackson is nothing.

Now Bez thinks/hopes Ricketts can be the new Jackson,

But there can be only one....
    lol ......we will never have another like Mr. Goncalves.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fine but fact is teams who have strong defence have a much greater chance at success from year to year.....FO recognized this and addressed it.....unfortunately in MLS one thing eventually comes at the expense of another.....especially for a free spending team like TFC.....and as far as I know its not Vanney that is spending the money.

Who are these 4 players that we lost which would have such a significant impact on our offence, and whos production couldn't be replaced by current players? And which winger did we have last season who gave us that avenue?

Luke Moore and Robbie Findley had 3 assist each last year. Yes Jackson had one and Colin Warner had 2

Ashton Morgan also had 2

We are fewer having goal scoring from fewer sources. Last year we had goals from 15 players. 6 of which are not currently with the team.

I have no direct issue with the removal of players but we have done nothing to properly replace the impact those players had. The fact our goal production is lower. And we have fewer points this year, have a weaker offense and a goal production deficit that can not be blamed on the injuries in it's totality. We have a serious issue.

It is amazing how many people are willing to apologize for this crap year after year. The excuses we make is amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think that's cheesy, fine.

Put it this way then, the head honchos at Red Bull Football want all their clubs to play with a similar style and have a similar approach to development. They deemed Petke not up to scratch and Marsch more suited to what they wanted to do. NYRB had been for years cut adrift from the Red Bull Empire then their Sporting Director wanted to bring them back into the fold and integrate them with their other teams - he felt Petke wasn't the way to go.

The Once A Metro blog have a great series articles covering this topic and how it's been happening http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/2/...alzburg-brazil

It's worth noting that Nelson Rodriguez espoused similar sentiments upon taking the Chicago GM job. Interviewed Petke and then went with the Serbian fella.
    Oh I get the concept. I just don't get why Jesse Marsh is somehow that much different than the guy they fired. He has development in his DNA because he had like marginally more experience than Petke in slight different environments? He gets the rest of RB more so than the guy he replaced? Everyone is always selling something, doesn't mean you have to believe it. Heck I am still waiting for total football, MLS experience, the Bloody big deal, etc...

For all we know Petke could have just had a run in with the wrong people and been left out in the cold.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-21-2016 at 06:37 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Luke Moore and Robbie Findley had 3 assist each last year. Yes Jackson had one and Colin Warner had 2

Ashton Morgan also had 2

We are fewer having goal scoring from fewer sources. Last year we had goals from 15 players. 6 of which are not currently with the team.

They switched the offence from always going through Bradley or Cheyrou to going through Osorio or Chapman or Endoh. Bit of a come down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I get the concept. I just don't get why Jesse Marsh is somehow that much different than the guy they fired. He has development in his DNA because he had like marginally more experience than Petke in slight different environments? He gets the rest of RB more so than the guy he replaced? Everyone is always selling something, doesn't mean you have to believe it. Heck I am still waiting for total football, MLS experience, the Bloody big deal, etc...

For all we know Petke could have just had a run in with the wrong people and been left out in the cold.
    Petke wouldn't integrate the academy or work with academy coaches. He didn't give a shit. Marsch is the opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Petke was a fan favorite and a player's coach because of his history with the team and his passion but had significant shortcomings organizationally. That makes for a great top asst coach, maybe could work as first team coach if there was a strong technical director/mgr of football in place. Would not be the case at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's Porter's protege/apprentice isn't he? He'll for sure get an MLS gig at some point I suspect ( if he wants it that is)
    yes IIRC he was his assistant before Porter left. I would suggest though Porter's record at Akron was incredible and also included a national championship, so if that is the benchmark he still has milestones to hit. I don't doubt he is one to watch, and from a Canadian perspective, he seems to be well connected with Sigma and recruiting some of their best players (Laryea and now Zajac and younger Laryea are there).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    yes IIRC he was his assistant before Porter left. I would suggest though Porter's record at Akron was incredible and also included a national championship, so if that is the benchmark he still has milestones to hit. I don't doubt he is one to watch, and from a Canadian perspective, he seems to be well connected with Sigma and recruiting some of their best players (Laryea and now Zajac and younger Laryea are there).
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-likely-return

I could be wrong but it sounds like Vanney will be starting Bono again.

It wasn't one mistake. He's had several moments of supreme lack of confidence. Is Q that weak? If so, why is he still with the club?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-likely-return

I could be wrong but it sounds like Vanney will be starting Bono again.

It wasn't one mistake. He's had several moments of supreme lack of confidence. Is Q that weak? If so, why is he still with the club?
    Larson tweeting the same. Vanney telling him Q had the #2 at the beginning of the season but lost it to Bono. Regardless, no reason to cut Q - he'll get minutes in USL and have a chance to prove himself again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Larson tweeting the same. Vanney telling him Q had the #2 at the beginning of the season but lost it to Bono. Regardless, no reason to cut Q - he'll get minutes in USL and have a chance to prove himself again.
    Maybe goalies at that age just make boneheaded calls occasionally and they were anticipating it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe goalies at that age just make boneheaded calls occasionally and they were anticipating it.
    I guess but I still question his hands. He drops or bobbles almost every ball in the box. Never looks assured of claiming it so when he does come out to challenge a cross, I am generally fairly worried that he'll either botch the catch or get caught out of goal. We'll get burned by that again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the frustration with Bono, that's not the weakest area. The midfield is not working and won't until Bradley and Johnson are back. Even then, I don't know how much to expect from them for the first few games starting.