Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 1905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    they are playing afraid. Vanney’s press conference was interesting and incisive - about Shaff being isolated for example and changing OSo because he plays more centrally (and because “Pozuelo was playing on the right”).
    The thing about Vanney is he usually has the technically correct answers. If I had to guess, it’s the implementation or practicality of real problem solving is where he falls down.

Maybe there are other underlying reasons why shit isn’t working. The proposed strategy is beyond the capabilities of the players, perhaps he’s too quick to point out the faults when guys are not up to speed (making them demotivated), or the relationships between the different players themselves creates problems.

Regardless, I find the dry “we talked about” or “we need to see more of” a bit tiring at this stage. At some point we must conclude the coach is simply not able to solve the problems on the field no matter how acutely aware he is of their existence.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike petke is available now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Thank god, we can hire a guy with a history of anger management issues and outbursts whose most recent firing comes from breaking one of MLS’ current hot topic rules in the most egregious way possible demonstrating the mental fortitude of toddler tantrum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Curtis fire Petke at NYRB?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Thank god, we can hire a guy with a history of anger management issues and outbursts whose most recent firing comes from breaking one of MLS’ current hot topic rules in the most egregious way possible demonstrating the mental fortitude of toddler tantrum!
    I'm sure the Toronto LGBTQ community would be ecstatic to have him as coach.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck Petke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm sure the Toronto LGBTQ community would be ecstatic to have him as coach.
    is that what he got fired for, if so, fuck him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He kicked tfc ass a few months ago with half the payroll

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vanney needs to stop tinkering and just play his top formation. Stop trying to be Man City and start being TFC.

He's back on the clock for me. If we don't make playoffs, he's out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He kicked tfc ass a few months ago with half the payroll
    Imagine that. Mourinho is available and TFC supporters would be content to have someone so fucking stupid they’d be willing to lose their shit and ruin their career because they felt the refereeing didn’t go their way in a made-up, meaningless, friendly tournament.

How many cups has Petke won?

If we’re going to hire someone who can’t even approximate the behaviour of an adult human being in a public environment and while being paid to do so, can we at least get a degenerate moron who has won an MLS Cup instead?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If our club hired Petke as a manager, I would be phoning my rep saying I'm dropping my seasons.

I have LGBTQ friends & family.

I choose them over TFC.

I dropped the CFL after having been a lifetime fan when Hamilton tried to hire the guy who blocked rape investigations at Baylor.

I would not hesitate to drop TFC over this.

Thankfully, Manning isn't that stupid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Petke isn't that good.
    He might be able to get away with that shit in Salt Lake but LGBTQ wouldn't tolerate that shit here. Vvv gay friendly city

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If our club hired Petke as a manager, I would be phoning my rep saying I'm dropping my seasons.

I have LGBTQ friends & family.

I choose them over TFC.

I dropped the CFL after having been a lifetime fan when Hamilton tried to hire the guy who blocked rape investigations at Baylor.

I would not hesitate to drop TFC over this.

Thankfully, Manning isn't that stupid.
    The worst part is that this will probably blow over and someone is going to hire him, especially if he issues an apology while wearing a half-and-half apolitical military glorific— err, appreciation and “Soccer for All!” (can’t say Pride) kit while completing his Chik-fil-a Fan Re-education Course (tm).

Imagine if he’d done something worse, like writing down “End Gun Violence” on that sheet of paper instead of a homophobic slur?

Edit: He still hasn’t committed the cardinal sin of American sports — kneeling during the national anthem.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 08-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s get back to Vanney. I think his approach to the game has been found to be very predictable. How many counter attack, one off goals have we given up.

Every coach must be saying give Toronto the ball for 55, heck 65 minutes. They won’t break us down, their wingbacks will be high and they will make a mistake passing back and forth at least 3-4 times a game.... wait for it and counter.

i know I am simplifying but come on. We need to get out of this rut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think part of what we are seeing is entirely due to the absence of Seba. We could play this patient possession game, limit chances, and then score. Without Seba, this is hard to make happen. Our game needs to change but we have the same basic players. This is further indictment of Manning for lack of planning around Sena’s renewal. And in general. Not Vanney as much, although he needs to find a way to adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are conceding goals from out own mistakes game after game. Vanney has not addressed the problem, despite it being obvious from the start. Because of his history with us, he has until the end of the season, but not playoffs he has got to go.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We are conceding goals from out own mistakes game after game. Vanney has not addressed the problem, despite it being obvious from the start. Because of his history with us, he has until the end of the season, but not playoffs he has got to go.

I second this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Calling for Vanney’s head when we recently shattered just about every record and won the MLS Cup just doesn’t stand up. I get it that some folks don’t like him no matter what the team does.
    After much thought I may have moved back to the Vanney in crowd.
    Let me explain to you why.
    The other day Zlatan had a press conference the other day where he said the mls playoff system is shit. he actually used the word shit.
    He said there is no incentive for players to get up for every game, all that matters is that you make the playoffs. you cannot create the mentality of practice hard every day and play hard every game and win as there is no incentive for this. the incentive is just to make the playoffs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fKADYEP9qU

Zlatan is correct

So I estimated the winning probability for away teams 5-7 and the win probability of the home teams 2-4 and the win probability for the east winner and the win probability for the supporters shield winner. I then compared my numbers to the outright odds on oddsportal to get an approximate probability of winning the mls cup depending on where you finish in the standings.
    Here are the numbers:

5-7 place teams have around a 3% chance of winning the mls cup
    4-7 place teams have around a 6% chance of winning the mls cup.
    1st place team has around a 10% chance of winning the mls cup and
    finally LAFC has a 40% chance of winning the mls cup.

Now here is where it gets really interesting. If TFC wins its first round game the odds of TFC winning the mls cup go up to 10% or equivalent to winning the eastern division..
    Vanney is a cerebral man, this was stated in a press conference by Ali Curtis a few months ago.
    If I figured this out no doubt Vanney knows these odds.
    It explains a lot of his actions this year.
    He knew he was not going to win the supporters shield this year, nobody was going to beat LAFC. He knew that.
    He also knew that Jozy, Bradley and Oso would be gone for a month, so he probably thought he was not going to win the east.
    He also knew that he would not get his wingers till August so he knew he would not win the east.
    from my probability analysis there is no real benefit in finishing 2nd or 7th, your probability of winning the mls cup only goes up 3%. so why kill your guys. play everybody, see what you got, wait till your wingers arrive.
    rotate the squad, keep everybody healthy and well rested for the playoff run.

All he has to do is make the playoffs. If he does that and wins the first game of the playoffs it is like winning the east.

His strategy this year is very smart. I was wrong about him. He knows what he is doing but he can't tell us this. people wanted his head after the Houston game.
    Last edited by stevep; 08-13-2019 at 05:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All he has to do is make the playoffs. If he does that and wins the first game of the playoffs it is like winning the east.

His strategy this year is very smart. I was wrong about him. He knows what he is doing but he can't tell us this. people wanted his head after the Houston game.
    The key point in your assessment, is ALL HE HAS TO DO IS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. We just let 5 easy points slide by. I thought the same thing last year and didn't worry until mid-Sept. I am worried already but remain positive.

COYRs

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@stevep, I think you just blew my mind a little. I never thought of looking at it this way.

Of course, Vanney is taking a risk of not getting into the playoffs, and one might quibble about the exact real odds, but your analysis makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    @stevep, I think you just blew my mind a little. I never thought of looking at it this way.

Of course, Vanney is taking a risk of not getting into the playoffs, and one might quibble about the exact real odds, but your analysis makes sense.
    Thank you.
    It just hit me after the zlatan press conference
    Yes he better make the playoffs.

https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/outrights/
    Last edited by stevep; 08-13-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great. This steve guy, having called people who weren’t ready to fire Vanney MLSE employees or trolls, and worse... now reformulates the basic point his defenders were making and declares.... eureka?

Hey Steve, let us know when you and your supercomputer discover that getting hot in September and October is always what actually matters in MLS.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I'm going to say is I have certain people on ignore on here for a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is great. This steve guy, having called people who weren’t ready to fire Vanney MLSE employees or trolls, and worse... now reformulates the basic point his defenders were making and declares.... eureka?

Hey Steve, let us know when you and your supercomputer discover that getting hot in September and October is always what actually matters in MLS.
    jokesonyouiwasonlypretending.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Houston game was inexcusable. Everyone knows this isn't going to be 2017, but perhaps the year before where we had momentum going into the second half of the season into the playoffs. A win against Houston would have probably continued an upward trend. At this rate if we make it we're going to get blownout in the first round à la 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After much thought I may have moved back to the Vanney in crowd.
    Let me explain to you why.
    The other day Zlatan had a press conference the other day where he said the mls playoff system is shit. he actually used the word shit.
    He said there is no incentive for players to get up for every game, all that matters is that you make the playoffs. you cannot create the mentality of practice hard every day and play hard every game and win as there is no incentive for this. the incentive is just to make the playoffs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fKADYEP9qU

Zlatan is correct

So I estimated the winning probability for away teams 5-7 and the win probability of the home teams 2-4 and the win probability for the east winner and the win probability for the supporters shield winner. I then compared my numbers to the outright odds on oddsportal to get an approximate probability of winning the mls cup depending on where you finish in the standings.
    Here are the numbers:

5-7 place teams have around a 3% chance of winning the mls cup
    4-7 place teams have around a 6% chance of winning the mls cup.
    1st place team has around a 10% chance of winning the mls cup and
    finally LAFC has a 40% chance of winning the mls cup.

Now here is where it gets really interesting. If TFC wins its first round game the odds of TFC winning the mls cup go up to 10% or equivalent to winning the eastern division..
    Vanney is a cerebral man, this was stated in a press conference by Ali Curtis a few months ago.
    If I figured this out no doubt Vanney knows these odds.
    It explains a lot of his actions this year.
    He knew he was not going to win the supporters shield this year, nobody was going to beat LAFC. He knew that.
    He also knew that Jozy, Bradley and Oso would be gone for a month, so he probably thought he was not going to win the east.
    He also knew that he would not get his wingers till August so he knew he would not win the east.
    from my probability analysis there is no real benefit in finishing 2nd or 7th, your probability of winning the mls cup only goes up 3%. so why kill your guys. play everybody, see what you got, wait till your wingers arrive.
    rotate the squad, keep everybody healthy and well rested for the playoff run.

If the story you have to spin is that Vanney is some sort of statistical secret genius to support him, then honestly I think that says it all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If the story you have to spin is that Vanney is some sort of statistical secret genius to support him, then honestly I think that says it all
    Vanney is like an anime villain hiding his true power level and playing 37-dimensional string theory snakes and ladders.

The final game of the regular season, we need a win to make the playoffs, and we’re tied 1-1 at home, in the 98th minute of 8 minutes of stoppage time. Vanney releases an ear-shattering scream from the sidelines, tearing away an eyepatch revealing a smouldering red eye firing an intense beam of light aimed towards the heavens, piercing the overcast sky, triggering a bolt of lightning striking him and lighting his suit on fire.

Tearing off his shirt and flexing, he points to Delgado, who fires an absolute rocket from our own half, striking the opposition keeper in the chest and burning a hole through his now lifeless body before falling into the net.

“You’ve underestimated my true power level,” mutters Delgado, guffawing villainously.

Vanney grins, raises a peace sign, and strikes a pose while flexing his enormous musculature. Women swoon. Men swoon. Garber twirls his moustache before sneaking out the back door. “Foiled again by that dastardly, handsome genius. He planned this all along!” screams Garber to his minions.

TFC make the playoffs, then proceed to lose 0-3 away to Montreal.

“All according to plan,” says Vanney, nodding. “They’ll never suspect what my calculations have in store for next season!”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney is like an anime villain hiding his true power level and playing 37-dimensional string theory snakes and ladders.

The final game of the regular season, we need a win to make the playoffs, and we’re tied 1-1 at home, in the 98th minute of 8 minutes of stoppage time. Vanney releases an ear-shattering scream from the sidelines, tearing away an eyepatch revealing a smouldering red eye firing an intense beam of light aimed towards the heavens, piercing the overcast sky, triggering a bolt of lightning striking him and lighting his suit on fire.

Tearing off his shirt and flexing, he points to Delgado, who fires an absolute rocket from our own half, striking the opposition keeper in the chest and burning a hole through his now lifeless body before falling into the net.

“You’ve underestimated my true power level,” mutters Delgado, guffawing villainously.

Vanney grins, raises a peace sign, and strikes a pose while flexing his enormous musculature. Women swoon. Men swoon. Garber twirls his moustache before sneaking out the back door. “Foiled again by that dastardly, handsome genius. He planned this all along!” screams Garber to his minions.

“All according to plan,” says Vanney, nodding. “They’ll never suspect what my calculations have in store for next season!”
    This is amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. Love the bolded part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the Dick Dastardly bit (you are showing your age there, stego)

The whole thing is a tour de force
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”