Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1905
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I'll never forget, a few years ago he just gave up chase on a loose ball. Flat out stopped running
    Albeit he was young, you only get so many opportunities to prove yourself

He clearly has the skill, perhaps its a mental / attitude issue like Hamilton
    I think Chapman's effort has improved most games. But on Saturday, he just stopped running/tracking before Houston's 2nd goal. That was his guy that passed the ball in from the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I'll never forget, a few years ago he just gave up chase on a loose ball. Flat out stopped running
    Albeit he was young, you only get so many opportunities to prove yourself

He clearly has the skill, perhaps its a mental / attitude issue like Hamilton
    IIRC Vanney has mentioned him specifically this year for putting in the effort so don’t think that’s it.

I think if we drill it down a couple of things have happened here.

1) the team hasn’t made a conscious effort to develop these guys at the back end of the roster and see what they are capable of. We are reaping what we see here

2) the player, if he’s really serious about having a career, needs to put in the work. If you listen to Osorio or Kaye talk they both have a chip on their shoulder about being overlooked but neither let that be the last word. They both battled to have good careers and get the recognition they felt like they deserve.

3) not everyone is going to make it. Tough, but the truth. Maybe we are blinded by the bright spots in his play but the truth is he’ll never be able to do that every game or every other game. That sucks, when you see the huge potential, but it happens in sports quite a bit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney gambled by playing a weak squad against Houston to keep his team fresh and strong against Red Bulls, and lost both matches. In the end the loss against Houston could be decisive in the playoff run.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs, Vanney will probably be fired. Bell and Rogers demand playoff content for their schedules.

If they do get in however, I think he buys himself more time, but he'll have to do much better next year.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney gambled by playing a weak squad against Houston to keep his team fresh and strong against Red Bulls...
    We had the Cinci game in between.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We had the Cinci game in between.
    You shouldn't need to rest the entire team to play the worst team in the league. I also believe it was for red bulls. Vanney miscalculated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[tweet]1157802376838963201[\tweet]

Not sure if I believe it but goes to show talk of the coach’s performance isn’t just the ramblings of a few people on this board.

Edit: what is up with the coding to embed tweets on the boards? Thought it was “tweet /tweet with the number in between to post it. Doesn’t seem to work.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-04-2019 at 07:53 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[] around the word tweet and then the link and then [] around /tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yep, was doing that. I still appear to be useless at working this for some reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Not sure if I believe it but goes to show talk of the coach’s performance isn’t just the ramblings of a few people on this board.

Edit: what is up with the coding to embed tweets on the boards? Thought it was “tweet /tweet with the number in between to post it. Doesn’t seem to work.
    What did it say?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, twitter culture is toxic, I wouldn't take anything seriously on there unless it's comments from someone who knows something (eg Molinaro).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've generally been a Vanney supporter, but if they miss the playoffs then he definitely needs to go, and we need some new ideas.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who was this tweeted by?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Who was this tweeted by?
    Was it Doyle or something? I tried copying/pasting the link earlier but couldn’t get the whole thing copied on my phone. I could be mistaken though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Doyle and I think he forgot the Voyageur's is a 2 leg affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its Doyle and I think he forgot the Voyageur's is a 2 leg affair.

Yep. That was the one!

Edit: Bit of a hot-take by Doyle if you ask me. In the subtweets he suggests the people in charge here are impatient, although if it were up to him he’d give Vanney the season.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-05-2019 at 05:35 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Doyle counts as someone who knows something.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't make the playoffs, Vanney is almost certainly gone. That's a pretty safe bet, especially now that Vanney has the players he wanted at his disposal.

If we make it past the first match of the playoffs, I would be shocked to see him fired.

The most interesting scenario is if we make the playoffs, but lose in the first match. This could go either way and it probably depends on the context of the game. Lose 3-0, he's probably out I would think... if we manage to secure a home game and we lose I would also guess he's out regardless of how the game goes. But if we're on the road and we lose a close game, I could see him staying. Manning's M.O. is to err on the side of stability whenever it's a realistic option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if our new trend of coming out after half time sleepwalking continues then he may be gone but I doubt until the season is over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taken me a long time to come to this conclusion (or get past denial) but Vanney should be gone at the end of the season barring any miracle. Need a change, my concern is that we won't get a better coacg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think if our new trend of coming out after half time sleepwalking continues then he may be gone but I doubt until the season is over.
    I think him lasting the season is almost a guarantee. The way this is shaping up our playoff chances won't be decided until late; don't think he'd be fired while playoffs are still up in the air and there's not much point firing him if we're out with only like 2 games left.

The only exception to this would be if he's completely lost the room and keeping him is contributing to a toxic environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Taken me a long time to come to this conclusion (or get past denial) but Vanney should be gone at the end of the season barring any miracle. Need a change, my concern is that we won't get a better coacg
    There will be an endless line of suitors for the job is the one positive of it all. MLSE invests in the club so the potential incoming manager knows he'll have the funds to get the players he needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think him lasting the season is almost a guarantee. The way this is shaping up our playoff chances won't be decided until late; don't think he'd be fired while playoffs are still up in the air and there's not much point firing him if we're out with only like 2 games left.

The only exception to this would be if he's completely lost the room and keeping him is contributing to a toxic environment.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by BeninatoTFC View Post
    There will be an endless line of suitors for the job is the one positive of it all. MLSE invests in the club so the potential incoming manager knows he'll have the funds to get the players he needs.
    Im hoping, I'd like to see someone from outside the league. Was very very jealous of San jose, brilliant signing. Doesn't have to be a big name European, often dont understand how the league works, someone who knows concacaf/north America would be a look for sure

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney or not, M. Bradley, Gio, Jozy and their "every game matters" attitude won us the cup in '17. I can forgive last year as a hangover. The Houston lineup and the NYRB meltdown just further expose Vanney's long-standing limitations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Im hoping, I'd like to see someone from outside the league. Was very very jealous of San jose, brilliant signing. Doesn't have to be a big name European, often dont understand how the league works, someone who knows concacaf/north America would be a look for sure
    I wouldn't mind a CONCACAF coach either, or someone from South America. I feel like they understand the game and players over here better than someone from say, the Netherlands. The MLS certainly isn't the easiest league around when it comes to team building, and someone with roots into CONMEBOL countries for example, who can be the difference between snagging a DP over another club is priceless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind a CONCACAF coach either, or someone from South America. I feel like they understand the game and players over here better than someone from say, the Netherlands. The MLS certainly isn't the easiest league around when it comes to team building, and someone with roots into CONMEBOL countries for example, who can be the difference between snagging a DP over another club is priceless.
    It’s only a “sure thing” when the names are big and you’re building from scratch like Atlanta. Take a South American coach and throw them into this team and I’m not sure it would make as big an impact.

This is probably the most difficult decision to speculate about in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The longer this season progresses, the
    more I look at our moves in the front office, then how things are playing out
    on the pitch, the more certain I am that:

a) Vanney and Curtis can’t work together, same as Marsch and Curtis
    b) what we are seeing on the pitch week in and out is heavily influenced by the bad relationship
    C) he did it to Marsch and petke. Petke left, then they realized he was front office cancer and chose to keep Marsch

i just get the sense based
    on the lousy roster moves to date rhat
    curtis is
    Mo Redux

Vanney tells him
    Hamiltons not good enough to be no 2 striker. Curtis tells him to play the kids. He shows him it is t enough. Curtis tried to save face by trading the kid for a veteran, as the coach wants depth. But he’s shit at working with others so the best he can muster is Patrick
    mullins, the second coming of the greatest finisher In the modern game.And he gets utterly Hosed in the process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know where I stand on all of this. Certainly I have questions on both Curtis and Vanney.

What strikes me about our signings and roster moves (to date) is there are few players we are getting good value out of. We either get what we pay for or something less than that. If we are going to get back to the top that has to change.

However, I also think Vanney can’t motivate anyone and never gets anything extra. When’s the last time you saw someone charged up to play outside of being pissed off about having their playing time cut?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know where I stand on all of this. Certainly I have questions on both Curtis and Vanney.

What strikes me about our signings and roster moves (to date) is there are few players we are getting good value out of. We either get what we pay for or something less than that. If we are going to get back to the top that has to change.

However, I also think Vanney can’t motivate anyone and never gets anything extra. When’s the last time you saw someone charged up to play outside of being pissed off about having their playing time cut?
    With our squad costing by far the most in the MLS, we should be getting more than we pay for. That's where the problem lies at the moment. That and injuries. Now does that fall on the coaching and training staff? Or does that fall on the management team for overpaying certain players and not evaluating them properly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With our squad costing by far the most in the MLS, we should be getting more than we pay for. That's where the problem lies at the moment. That and injuries. Now does that fall on the coaching and training staff? Or does that fall on the management team for overpaying certain players and not evaluating them properly?
    I’ve lost tack in terms of where we stand on spending vs. Other MLS clubs. Also, I’d give some credence to Bradley’s contract which is historical and inflates the total amount.

However, if what you’re saying is true, it’s actually worse than what I first stated. Not only would we not be getting any extra value for our money, we’re not even getting baseline. Which points directly to poor scouting / management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep Vanney and fire Curtis all day.