Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22pts divided by 15 games is 1.46ppg if elfath calls bendik penalty and doesnt call our guy at end of game
    2nd best record in ppg in the east with lots of home games in hand

this league is kind of cheesy

btw anybody think the game was rigged or managed by mls for orlando benefit, it sure looks that way

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    based upon what? TFC happens to spend more money on just 3 players?

Parity rules MLS. takes exceptional teams to consistently be strong in MLS

My rationale is that TFC have 3 players who are stronger than almost any other players in those positions in the league. Why else would you pay millions to have them on your team? So right off the bat they should be stronger than most teams in those positions.

They have a Champions League/League 1 Veteran in Benoit Cheyrou
    Former MLS All Stars in Drew Moore, Justin Morrow, Clint Irwin, Steven Beitashour and Will Johnson

And the rest of them have had elite upbringings as well - Marky Delgado was a US U-17, U-18 and U-20 player; Jonathan Osorio and Damien Perquis both have International experience.

This isn't a team of 3 players and 8 borderline below average mls chumps. They have proven quality all over the pitch.

There is no reason for them to be fighting for the last spot in the MLS playoffs.

IMO - The results are currently show them as underperforming. There are probably a ton of theories why they are and I'm sure people will start to rattle them off - but at the end of the day, with a roster of that talent - they are underperforming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    My rationale is that TFC have 3 players who are stronger than almost any other players in those positions in the league. Why else would you pay millions to have them on your team? So right off the bat they should be stronger than most teams in those positions.

Former MLS All Stars in Drew Moore, Justin Morrow, Clint Irwin, Steven Beitashour and Will Johnson

And the rest of them have had elite upbringings as well - Marky Delgado was a US U-17, U-18 and U-20 player; Jonathan Osorio and Damien Perquis both have International experience.

This isn't a team of 3 players and 8 borderline below average mls chumps. They have proven quality all over the pitch.

There is no reason for them to be fighting for the last spot in the MLS playoffs.

IMO - The results are currently show them as underperforming. There are probably a ton of theories why they are and I'm sure people will start to rattle them off - but at the end of the day, with a roster of that talent - they are underperforming.
    True but whose idea was it to saddle a Canadian team with Captain America and a perennially injured almost-been.
    Bez and Vanney will probably both be gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things went to shit when Jozy went down. Unfortunately he is cursed with shitty hamstrings but his effectiveness on our roster can't be denied. Can't blame Bez or Vanney on dumping Defoe for him. When he's healthy we're a top 3 club, have a golden boot contender in Seba, and have a decent offense. Without him, we're where we were last year in the standings but with a better defense and an off Golden Boot pace Seba.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    True but whose idea was it to saddle a Canadian team with Captain America and a perennially injured almost-been.
    Bez and Vanney will probably both be gone.

I don't understand what this has to do with anything.
    if you think TFC should have a Canadian captain, then I would probably disagree with you.

I think Bradley is a great Captain for this club right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand what this has to do with anything.
    if you think TFC should have a Canadian captain, then I would probably disagree with you.

I think Bradley is a great Captain for this club right now.
    No I do not think we should have a Canadian Captain but we're underperforming right now because 2 of our 3 DPs are absent. If Bradley was playing for Chicago and had to miss 10 games a year it wouldn't matter to those fans because he'd be leading their national team and they'd have some positive to counter the absence of their Captain with. Since he's playing for a Canadian team what he does with the US just takes away from his club with no silver lining. And Altidore..no point talking about what he brings to the squad because he's hardly there..man's is raking it in and permanently on vaca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Things went to shit when Jozy went down. Unfortunately he is cursed with shitty hamstrings but his effectiveness on our roster can't be denied. Can't blame Bez or Vanney on dumping Defoe for him. When he's healthy we're a top 3 club, have a golden boot contender in Seba, and have a decent offense. Without him, we're where we were last year in the standings but with a better defense and an off Golden Boot pace Seba.
    With Jozy this year:

Wins 3
    Loss 4
    Tie 1

Goals 0
    Assist 2

Hardly a game changer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really have to go over what Altidore does again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Do we really have to go over what Altidore does again?
    I think we got it..he plays a handful of games a year and creates space for Seba. Awesome DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I do not think we should have a Canadian Captain but we're underperforming right now because 2 of our 3 DPs are absent.
    We're 3-1-1 over the past 5 games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we got it..he plays a handful of games a year and creates space for Seba. Awesome DP.
    You don't got it.

Not going to bother going over it all again cause you don't want to got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and irwin is out for 6 weeks,that wont help the park the bus system now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't got it.

I know what you're saying Og, but technically, he isn't wrong either. We're 15 games into the season, and we've played with basically 2 DPs the entire time. Maybe 1.7 if you count Bradley's call up.
    Yeah we have the highest payroll, but Seba is the only consistent DP we have. It's very annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't got it.

What was factually incorrect about my statement?
    None so blind as those who refuse to see..
    Seriously you cannot argue the fact that Altidore hardly plays. He's getting a shit load of coin. He doesn't have $5.5M Forward stats. So wtf are the redeeming qualities? He's good when he does play? That's fucking awesome for a top 10 salary player in this fucked up league.
    Last edited by shwade; 06-28-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: More common sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rationalizing the strength of the squad by amount of money you spend on your squad is a terrible way. Money doesn't guarantees success; way too many factors to determine a winner. Add in the crazy factors you find in MLS and you get the topsy turvy insanity that's MLS. Other teams aren't managed by idiots either. They often find just as good talent and for cheaper price.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another gamble about to backfire, I fear.

Would someone ask Bez why we don't have a real backup keeper?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I think it's a deliberate squad building strategy to give the kids a chance.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Lots of people should be happy though. I've seen enough calls for Q to get his shot on here so now he will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a deliberate squad building strategy to give the kids a chance.
    I'm not opposed to this, but the mentality of the fans and management is challenging for the MLS shield and making a deep run in the playoffs. Releasing your serviceable veteran keeper who wasn't making much maybe wasn't the best idea if a situation like this happens.

Lets see how the gamble pays off, I do want to see what these young keepers can give.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to remember anybody disliking the "dump Konopka & go with the kids as backup" move back when it was done.

We've already seen one brain fart from Bono cost us a goal on Saturday - that was Saundersesque.

Lets see if he and Q can learn a thing or too from their mistakes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've already seen one brain fart from Bono cost us a goal on Saturday - that was Saundersesque.
    Tough situation to get tossed into. I bet he spent all the previous matches goofing around on the bench without a worry as he never thought he'd actually see game action. Then boom, you're in. I won't hold that screw up against him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Tough situation to get tossed into. I bet he spent all the previous matches goofing around on the bench without a worry as he never thought he'd actually see game action. Then boom, you're in. I won't hold that screw up against him.
    I don't hold it against him because he's a young kid. But being ready mentally is his first lesson of this 6 week journey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I criticized having kids as backups back in the first week.

Seems to me kids should be starters or playing down a level. The backup needs to be a veteran.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's make or break time for these young lads. A gamble in this league - but with the cap system this is what you get. When will there be pressure to reform MLS and dump the cap? Until then developing the youngsters and giving them a chance is the only way to go. TFC won't be a great team until they are developing 2-3 reliable players a season from the youth ranks. Osario...Baboulli...Hamilton are all encouraging signs. Hopefully we have a decent back up keeper through the system. If not the coach is going to take a pelting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to remember anybody disliking the "dump Konopka & go with the kids as backup" move back when it was done.

Lets see if he and Q can learn a thing or too from their mistakes.
    Yes. There were notes of worry for this very situation then. There was a lot of focus on getting Irwin officially of course.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance we can just hire Icelands coaching staff?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Any chance we can just hire Icelands coaching staff?
    Too many dentists in this city as it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rationalizing the strength of the squad by amount of money you spend on your squad is a terrible way. Money doesn't guarantees success; way too many factors to determine a winner. Add in the crazy factors you find in MLS and you get the topsy turvy insanity that's MLS. Other teams aren't managed by idiots either. They often find just as good talent and for cheaper price.
    Just look at the England Euro2016 squad, we just need our DP's to be playing for TFC a majority of the time, regardless of salary, ability or form, just be playing for the team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As great as last night's V Cup win was, let's not lose sight that Robbo out coached Vanney again. Caps were in cruise control mode in 2nd half shutting down most of what TFC was throwing at Caps defence. If that Blas Perez shot went in instead of hitting the post, a lot of us would be screaming for Vanney's head right now.

One thing I'll give Vanney though is that TFC never gave up. Players were doing wind sprints last 10 mins of the game on an empty tank. A coach that the players will give their all for is a coach that can improve.

I've accepted that this team is going to have a lot of ups and downs with lots of kids getting mins. Gotta deal with the inconsistencies of playing the kids. I just hope that everything comes together now for a late run into playoffs.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe so...but we should of had at least a 2 or 3 nil win in the first leg and the whitecaps had a full roster lastnight while we were missing 4 or 5 starters,in my opinion vanney will be only be safe if we get a home playoff game.