Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    pffft oh please Larson....you missed the first 8 or so years here.....now THAT was fun!! .....
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ hahahaha......and you can also replace above picture with........Carver......Preki......Winter.......Ma riner......Nelsen.......fun times ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ hahahaha......and you can also replace above picture with........Carver......Preki......Winter.......Ma riner......Nelsen.......fun times ......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This works for all of them...

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol lol.....good stuff guys ....

my personal favourite is the screenshot that used to float around on the old NEE board of Preki slapping the sideline camera mid-game......classic......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, all you need is one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol......that is true.....the "brains" behind the operation.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just be glad Vanney is smarter than Floro in terms of player selections... how the heck did Floro manage Real Madrid?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    just be glad Vanney is smarter than Floro in terms of player selections... how the heck did Floro manage Real Madrid?
    It's easy to do selections when the entire team is world class. Much harder is dealing with a mixture of talent, which is the same problem foreign coaches have in MLS. It's not just purely tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's easy to do selections when the entire team is world class. Much harder is dealing with a mixture of talent, which is the same problem foreign coaches have in MLS. It's not just purely tactics.
    I dunno about that.....sometimes its not to easy to say "do I play Modric today or Kroos?" (not Floro's Real, I now but just using today's team as example), based on who would set up better in the team.....

but on the other hand, when you leave your long-time contributors like Will Johnson and up and top up and comer like possibly Osorio at home, in must win qualifiers, just to prove a point, when overall talent at the best case is stretched thin, you're just an idiot.

Please don't take this as an anti-CMT post, because I would likely cry like a baby at the sight and sound of seeing our team lined up arm and arm for the anthem at a WC game, but our manager is lost, and organization (CSA) even moreso.

How is the same Steven Hart who coached us now bringing T&T to the hex?

How can a multicultural country like Canada fail to field even a single player of Italian heritage......South American heritage?.....and for years its been this way....it blows my mind.
    Not that it will definitely make the team better, but something has to change in the team set-up.

Don't mean to derail thread, but had to rant lol.....
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 09-07-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno about that.....sometimes its not to easy to say "do I play Modric today or Kroos?" (not Floro's Real, I now but just using today's team as example), based on who would set up better in the team.....

but on the other hand, when you leave your long-time contributors like Will Johnson and up and top up and comer like possibly Osorio at home, in must win qualifiers, just to prove a point, when overall talent at the best case is stretched thin, you're just an idiot.

Please don't take this as an anti-CMT post, because I would likely cry like a baby at the sight and sound of seeing our team lined up arm and arm for the anthem at a WC game, but our manager is lost, and organization (CSA) even moreso.

How is the same Steven Hart who coached us now bringing T&T to the hex?

How can a multicultural country like Canada fail to field even a single player of Italian heritage......South American heritage?.....and for years its been this way....it blows my mind.

Don't meant to derail thread, but had to rant lol.....
    To the part in bold: we could have 1 or more of them if they weren't holding out to try and get on other national teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    To the part in bold: we could have 1 or more of them if they weren't holding out to try and get on other national teams.
    I get that....at the same time, perhaps players wouldn't hold out if they felt the organization was working towards trying to achieve something....

If you dream of winning a World Cup as a player, there is not even a 1% chance of that happening as long as you play for Canada.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or if Floro picked Osorio...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that....at the same time, perhaps players wouldn't hold out if they felt the organization was working towards trying to achieve something....

If you dream of winning a World Cup as a player, there is not even a 1% chance of that happening as long as you play for Canada.....
    I agree Canada isn't winning a world cup in my life time but i the idea that the CSA isn't working towards achieving something I don't buy.

Maybe the achievement they are striving for doesn't interest certain players but i think it has more to do with those players always feeling like they have a backup plan should they not succeed in playing for Italy or another nation.

My hope is that between the current professional set ups, the Canadian league and LTPD model we will start to instill a mentality where Canada isn't just a choice but a 1st choice.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are we talking here? Vanney for Canada?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Canada isn't winning a world cup in my life time but i the idea that the CSA isn't working towards achieving something I don't buy.

Maybe the achievement they are striving for doesn't interest certain players but i think it has more to do with those players always feeling like they have a backup plan should they not succeed in playing for Italy or another nation.

My hope is that between the current professional set ups, the Canadian league and LTPD model we will start to instill a mentality where Canada isn't just a choice but a 1st choice.
    I'll say I have no knowledge of the inner working of the CSA, but its been 3 World Cup cycles now and I see no progress.....3 cycles where the team has not improved or progressed further than the previous cycle......

If they are striving for the achievement of making/winning a World Cup, I don't know how any player wouldn't be interested in that.

I've heard that for a long time the CSA has basically been an old-boys club from the top right down to the players we see on the field.
    Now again, I have no proof of this, but if still true, that will need to change if this country ever wants to go somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    LOL.....if it ends up working out that way....but I'd like him to stay with TFC a bit longer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The huff and bluster is greater than it once was but the results remain unchanged. Improvements on the men's side are so terrifyingly incremental they are essentially meaningless. Remember this isn't just about how fast we change but how fast other nations in our region change as well. MLS is also serving to improve other countries (besides US and Canada) within the region.

What can we point to at this time that the CSA has achieved on the men's side to prove this is on the right track? Forget LTPD and all those other things - that's table steaks. Where are the results?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Vanney progressed as a coach?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not pop in here lads and have a look what others have said on the topic?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-down-swinging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada, you know the canadian discussion is going to bleed everywhere today lol just be thankful you are one of the smart ones without twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes he has, we don't get to see anything other than the game day side of things but the players look much better prepared this season. It could be he has the personnel he finally needs execute the system he wants to play but from an eye test perspective it has been much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The huff and bluster is greater than it once was but the results remain unchanged. Improvements on the men's side are so terrifyingly incremental they are essentially meaningless. Remember this isn't just about how fast we change but how fast other nations in our region change as well. MLS is also serving to improve other countries (besides US and Canada) within the region.

What can we point to at this time that the CSA has achieved on the men's side to prove this is on the right track? Forget LTPD and all those other things - that's table steaks. Where are the results?
    this is it right in the bolded....there is no tangible evidence to my eyes that shows whatever changes being made are having any effect at all, positive or negative....

add to that the Osorio situation and how it impacts other players thinking of playing for Canada.....
    when a players does what he did in the Gold Cup, you sit him down and say "listen, I know you're young, you want to play and I like the passion you have for showing emotion in getting taken off, but you DON'T show up the coach and you had better not do it again."
    You don't just blacklist one of the country's up and coming talents for a whole qualifying cycle....that's suicide.....

And to the point of players choosing other countries, should say his brothers become NT calibre players, do you think they would give a second thought to Canada after seeing the way their brother was treated?

I don't need to answer that again....I've said enough about that in this thread ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not pop in here lads and have a look what others have said on the topic?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-down-swinging
    Ya we probably should.....just had to rant after seeing Yohan and Oldtimer's posts and the thread went on a bit of a tangent.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how this thread is about Vanney, and yet this page starts off with a picture of MoJo and ends with a discussion about Floro and the national team. Haha

Never change RPB, its why I like this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard that for a long time the CSA has basically been an old-boys club from the top right down to the players we see on the field.
    Now again, I have no proof of this, but if still true, that will need to change if this country ever wants to go somewhere.
    That used to be true, but hopefully not so much anymore. About 5 years ago, the CSA went through a bitter governance fight to bring in better accountability with an independent Board of Directors. But the rot goes all the way to the provincial levels as well. The OSA has improved, but I think Alberta is still bad. At least there is a pathway for young players now from U6 all the way up to U23, but we're still 6 years away from seeing the first-fruits of the LTPD. I was watching my son's game the other day and the improvement in how the younger players read and play the game has improved by an order of magnitude over the past decade, a lot of it due to the improved coaching requirements. Canada will only go as far as our coaching can take us.

Here are some articles by de Vos about the struggle:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soc...e-for-csa.html
    http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=432937

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That used to be true, but hopefully not so much anymore. About 5 years ago, the CSA went through a bitter governance fight to bring in better accountability with an independent Board of Directors. But the rot goes all the way to the provincial levels as well. The OSA has improved, but I think Alberta is still bad. At least there is a pathway for young players now from U6 all the way up to U23, but we're still 6 years away from seeing the first-fruits of the LTPD. I was watching my son's game the other day and the improvement in how the younger players read and play the game has improved by an order of magnitude over the past decade, a lot of it due to the improved coaching requirements. Canada will only go as far as our coaching can take us.

Here are some articles by de Vos about the struggle:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soc...e-for-csa.html
    http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=432937
    that's good to hear, but I think there needs to be a better job also done in identifying these players and getting them involved in the national set up at an early age.

Let me give you an example.....a friend of mine has spent the last 2 fall seasons in Spain with his son, as he's attracted interest from Barca and has trained with their youth teams.
    But not a sniff from anyone in the CSA to even see what his plans are to represent Canada at any level......how does this happen??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me give you an example.....a friend of mine has spent the last 2 fall seasons in Spain with his son, as he's attracted interest from Barca and has trained with their youth teams.
    But not a sniff from anyone in the CSA to even see what his plans are to represent Canada at any level......how does this happen??
    Considering their difficulty in keeping track of the domestic pool, I think the CSA lacks the resources to know who all is out there globally. Maybe the father should contact the CSA to get his son on their radar? idk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Considering their difficulty in keeping track of the domestic pool, I think the CSA lacks the resources to know who all is out there globally. Maybe the father should contact the CSA to get his son on their radar? idk
    But that is the problem right there.....how the CSA is not keeping tabs on these kids boggles the mind......how can the organization (ie. team) expect to improve if they don't even know what's happening in their own backyard??.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that is the problem right there.....how the CSA is not keeping tabs on these kids boggles the mind......how can the organization (ie. team) expect to improve if they don't even know what's happening in their own backyard??.....
    To their defense, a kid playing in Spain is hardly their backyard.