Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It has been argued that TFC's win in 2017 was just due to having Giovinco and co. The fact that TFC has made it to the 2019 MLS Cup while missing two key players has to be credited (at least in a major part) to Greg Vanney.

This article had some real nuggets:

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...sen-to-the-top

He's grown as a coach, even this year, recognizing his weaknesses:

Several of us had noticed that weakness.

We'd wondered how the players feel about him, but DeLeon said:

However, even if TFC wins a second MLS Cup, I'm pretty sure that some #vanneyout sentiment will still be around, just waiting for a losing streak to start up again.
    My first post on this thread - long time coming! Regarding DeLeon, I believe he's the son of a guy who Vanney played with, and Vanney knew him from when he was younger and really wanted to get him on TFC? So with respect to his comments something to take into account. Still nice to hear his high praise though!

Personally I think Vanney's done pretty amazing over the past half decade to improve and adapt. When you consider the improvements to the league each year, the level of parity, change in upper management, etc., it's not bad at all to be in 3 finals in 4 years. Theyway we adjusted tactically in ATL was a great example of how we've become more resilient and have a deeper squad, both going forward and defending. The view we had in section 229 at the Mercedes was perfect to see formations and adjustments. After the early onslaught we didn't leave much room over the top after that. And the subs worked out perfectly.

Happy to have Vanney around for a couple more years! Until the league structure and CBA allow for more investment in the squads I'd rather have stability and consistency year-to-year, and for me Vanney's shown he has that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    My first post on this thread - long time coming! Regarding DeLeon, I believe he's the son of a guy who Vanney played with, and Vanney knew him from when he was younger and really wanted to get him on TFC? So with respect to his comments something to take into account. Still nice to hear his high praise though!

Personally I think Vanney's done pretty amazing over the past half decade to improve and adapt. When you consider the improvements to the league each year, the level of parity, change in upper management, etc., it's not bad at all to be in 3 finals in 4 years. Theyway we adjusted tactically in ATL was a great example of how we've become more resilient and have a deeper squad, both going forward and defending. The view we had in section 229 at the Mercedes was perfect to see formations and adjustments. After the early onslaught we didn't leave much room over the top after that. And the subs worked out perfectly.

Happy to have Vanney around for a couple more years! Until the league structure and CBA allow for more investment in the squads I'd rather have stability and consistency year-to-year, and for me Vanney's shown he has that.
    DeLeon has had a career year, and IMO, has been a valuable member of the team similar to what guys like Will Johnson, Armando Cooper and even Benoit Cheyrou were a couple years ago. When he comes on, you know he was going to do something positive more often than not. I think Vanney has had a lot to do with that transformation in his game.

People knock Vanney for nepotism with Zavaleta - but if you look at our situation over the past few years - playing Zavaleta was a last resort as oppose to a first or even second choice. Look at where he is in the pecking order now - not even an option off the bench.

i don't think nepotism is at play with DeLeon - not that you said it - but just saying I don't think it's even at play in this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    Nick's father, Leroy, played his last professional game in 1983, with Greg's first pro game coming in 1995. The Athletic profile of Nick DeLeon had mentioned Vanney and Nick both played on the same youth team (at very different times), but that they had not met each other through that.