Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    To their defense, a kid playing in Spain is hardly their backyard.
    fair enough.....point I'm trying to make that is there any communication between the academies and the CSA about these kids' progressions?

Its not like he was playing in the backyard then went overseas.....he's obviously been with academies in the GTA.
    At some point there's gotta be some communication between to the 2 to say, "hey look, this kid we got is training with so and so, keep an eye on him."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    fair enough.....point I'm trying to make that is there any communication between the academies and the CSA about these kids' progressions?

Its not like he was playing in the backyard then went overseas.....he's obviously been with academies in the GTA.
    At some point there's gotta be some communication between to the 2 to say, "hey look, this kid we got is training with so and so, keep an eye on him."
    I don't think communication is one of the CSA's strong points. Hopefully with DeVos there now, thinks will improve a bit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Ya we probably should.....just had to rant after seeing Yohan and Oldtimer's posts and the thread went on a bit of a tangent.....
    I kinda got off topic... not good for a mod eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I like how this thread is about Vanney, and yet this page starts off with a picture of MoJo and ends with a discussion about Floro and the national team. Haha

Never change RPB, its why I like this site.
    I think it will go back to Vanney once TFC starts playing again Saturday.

TFC wins, people will say Vanney is "showing signs of improving as a coach for winning without Giovinco."

TFC loses, the mobs and torches will come out demanding Vanney's sacking because he "relies too much on Giovinco."

TFC ties and there will be a low level dispute as to whether that is good on the road, or it is a failure due to "losing points."
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-09-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't think communication is one of the CSA's strong points. Hopefully with DeVos there now, thinks will improve a bit.
    I have a very hard time believing that the communication between CSA and the major academies is so broken that this info is not even getting relayed.
    You'd think that one of the basic functions would be that the CSA is monitoring top players from the main academies across the country.
    And if that's not the case, I guess its no wonder that we can never progress.
    But yeah, definitely hoping the DeVos hire will be a positive thing for the growth and progression of our young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I kinda got off topic... not good for a mod eh?

I think it will go back to Vanney once TFC starts playing again Saturday.

TFC wins, people will say Vanney is "showing signs of improving as a coach for winning without Giovinco."

TFC loses, the mobs and torches will come out demanding Vanney's sacking because he "relies too much on Giovinco."

TFC ties and there will be a low level dispute as to whether that is good on the road, or it is a failure due to "losing points."
    eh, it happens....imo its good to see some passionate discussion about our NT, but if you guys want to move it all to the Canada thread, its totally understandable....

lol...ya that's about right on with the Vanney talking points.....here's hoping we'll be discussing "Talking Point A" on Sunday morning with 3 fresh points in the bag!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read Bruce Arthur's piece about responding to the Jays recent travails and something struck me. https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...rs-arthur.html

Every season up until this one we've either been out of the playoffs by now (realistically if not in fact) or fighting for our lives scraping to make the points. This season, I'm not worried about making the playoffs. Now, where we will be is another matter but making the playoffs seems assured.

That's gotta count for something.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid tactical decisions in the Chicago away game. I think we can finally put to rest the idea, too, that Vanney only looks good due to Giovinco.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid tactical decisions in the Chicago away game. I think we can finally put to rest the idea, too, that Vanney only looks good due to Giovinco.
    Yup not bad. One quibble for me: first sub was a few minutes too late. I was pleading with my computer screen to give us a sub. Both Delgado & Ricketts were already struggling for a while due to injuries. Chicago was already in control of the game, and I felt Toronto needed a boost. Then Accam came on at 56'; Chicago predictably scored at 58'; Cooper came on for TFC at 63'. Accam was warming up for a while before coming on, and he's a well known player for Chicago. I think that Delgado or Ricketts should have come off, and Cooper or Hagglund come on, either before Accam or at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    TFC has 4 players on the 24 Under 24 shortlist: Chapman, Delgado, Endoh, and Hamilton. The list will start being revealed next week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-full-coverage
    Vanney is not without his faults, but gotta give credit where it's due - he's getting the kids to play.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Manning feels he has the right people in place and Vanney is growing as a coach. He is not planning any changes.
    http://m.torontosun.com/2016/09/16/a...of-toronto-fc?

Stability is an odd thing as a TFC supporter. However, we need to continue to hold the club responsible for results, and that means continuing to evaluate Vanney, Bez, and co.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Manning feels he has the right people in place and Vanney is growing as a coach. He is not planning any changes.

Stability is an odd thing as a TFC supporter. However, we need to continue to hold the club responsible for results, and that means continuing to evaluate Vanney, Bez, and co.
    read that as well.....interesting, but not entirely surprising to read (ie. Manning admit) that Manning was on the fence originally about keeping Vanney and Bez, but that they proved to him through results that they were the right guys to have for now....

also incredible to read that barring a disaster, Vanney will be the first TFC coach ever to make it to 2 contract terms.....wow.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the old days we forgave everything and the club was a shitshow. Now we're demanding assholes to the club leadership and we're getting results and the franchise is growing and improving. Keep their feet to the fire

#VanneyOut
    #BezOut
    #Bring_Out_the_pitchforks
    #MLSE_getusabloodychampionship

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    In the old days we forgave everything and the club was a shitshow. Now we're demanding assholes to the club leadership and we're getting results and the franchise is growing and improving. Keep their feet to the fire

#VanneyOut
    #BezOut
    #Bring_Out_the_pitchforks
    #MLSE_getusabloodychampionship
    I appreciate the sentiment but the old days was just as full of, ahem, demanding support. We just had plenty of patient people who stuck around as well.

I'm enjoying the difference of an evaluation thread instead.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh geez.

Imagine a sports team that makes decisions based solely based on the whims of a fan base. Not even the entire fan base. Just the most vocal.

hey everyone, don't tell the opponents but we intend to put up a 4-2-2 format tomorrow. Everyone cool with this? Or hey, like or dislike the idea of firing the coach? Don't tell him just in case it comes back "dislike". That would be awkward am I right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo the second time around was pretty much a fan whim, although it was TL and Bez and Nelsen.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of our coach firings were based on fan whim. That and Tom Anselmi's gut.

JDG was hired because CMNT fans wanted him.

Until Manning came in fans always had an oversized influence. That's not to say fans should not have any influence at all, they should.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney and Bez are now thisclose to guaranteeing that they come back. Unless there is a total collapse, they will be retained.

The team is an elite team, isn't backing in, is getting points without Giovinco, playing entertaining football.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Vanney and Bez are now thisclose to guaranteeing that they come back. Unless there is a total collapse, they will be retained.

The team is an elite team, isn't backing in, is getting points without Giovinco, playing entertaining football.
    It just feels weird to feel so good about this team right now. I wouldn't have imagined this just 4 years ago. The day Payne was parachuted in was the best thing that ever happened to the club, as it was the beginning of the end for ABC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to three at the back tonight was a brave move that really worked out. Think Vanney is maturing as a coach and is beginning to actively manage the games...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit to Vanney for having the stones to make a drastic change to try to get back into the game. To be honest, I'm not sure our goals had so much to do with the formation change as much as it had to do with Altidore (and credit to Bradley for spotting his influence - Jozy was making things happen every time he got the ball, I was begging with my TV screen for the players to just keep feeding him whenever they could, and sure enough Bradley went looking for him and we got the tying goal). Maybe the two wide players stretched things out and gave us more space in the middle though...

I would like Vanney to re-think trying to force things with crosses when we're chasing a game though. Our strength is obviously down the middle, if anything we should be playing through the middle then hitting guys for late runs down the flanks, instead of spraying it wide and whipping in rather hopeless balls. It didn't work when 10-man Montreal was bunkering against us and the wide players didn't really do anything today either. Endoh and Lovitz just don't have the quality to consistently take on a man and put in a dangerous ball. I understand the idea, as New York dropped their press deeper we had to create more space, but I just don't think we have the personnel. Heck, if we're really gonna try it I'd move Cooper onto the wing and bring Cheyrou in the middle.

Anyways, this is just a particular game state concern. You can't argue with results and Vanney is getting them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Credit to Vanney for having the stones to make a drastic change to try to get back into the game. To be honest, I'm not sure our goals had so much to do with the formation change as much as it had to do with Altidore (and credit to Bradley for spotting his influence - Jozy was making things happen every time he got the ball, I was begging with my TV screen for the players to just keep feeding him whenever they could, and sure enough Bradley went looking for him and we got the tying goal). Maybe the two wide players stretched things out and gave us more space in the middle though...

I would like Vanney to re-think trying to force things with crosses when we're chasing a game though. Our strength is obviously down the middle, if anything we should be playing through the middle then hitting guys for late runs down the flanks, instead of spraying it wide and whipping in rather hopeless balls. It didn't work when 10-man Montreal was bunkering against us and the wide players didn't really do anything today either. Endoh and Lovitz just don't have the quality to consistently take on a man and put in a dangerous ball. I understand the idea, as New York dropped their press deeper we had to create more space, but I just don't think we have the personnel. Heck, if we're really gonna try it I'd move Cooper onto the wing and bring Cheyrou in the middle.

Anyways, this is just a particular game state concern. You can't argue with results and Vanney is getting them.

You know, I don't think Vanney is trying to force things with crosses. He knows his team is strongest going up the middle which is why he keeps forcing people down the wings to spread the defense out. It's working. He did it again today by having Lovitz and Endoh playing so far out wide. This allowed Bradley/Oso/Altidore to have just that extra bit of room in the middle to create. We may as well keep trying to swing some crosses in from out side but I think everyone is well aware that these will just be a bonus if they're ever on target. It keeps the other team guessing, and spread out which is the ultimate goal.

First half we were much more direct and up the middle but couldn't do too much. Hence the change in the second half to really force NYRB wider. Worked very very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    You know, I don't think Vanney is trying to force things with crosses. He knows his team is strongest going up the middle which is why he keeps forcing people down the wings to spread the defense out. It's working. He did it again today by having Lovitz and Endoh playing so far out wide. This allowed Bradley/Oso/Altidore to have just that extra bit of room in the middle to create. We may as well keep trying to swing some crosses in from out side but I think everyone is well aware that these will just be a bonus if they're ever on target. It keeps the other team guessing, and spread out which is the ultimate goal.

First half we were much more direct and up the middle but couldn't do too much. Hence the change in the second half to really force NYRB wider. Worked very very well.
    I think it was this exactly, Endoh and Lovitz were mere decoys. It wasnt like the SJ game with the team feeding Endoh over and over to deliver garbage crosses. The middle players would fake to the wings to open up space up the middle. Was actually clever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB doesn't stop pressing, ever. They actually use a shot clock in practice. One way to beat that press is to use speed on the wings. Sooo...in comes our two fastest wide players. Worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    I think it was this exactly, Endoh and Lovitz were mere decoys. It wasnt like the SJ game with the team feeding Endoh over and over to deliver garbage crosses. The middle players would fake to the wings to open up space up the middle. Was actually clever.
    When Endoh started crosses from the side was when i first got pissed off all match, now it makes much more sense, my footy IQ just went up a bit. Thanks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    NYRB doesn't stop pressing, ever. They actually use a shot clock in practice. One way to beat that press is to use speed on the wings. Sooo...in comes our two fastest wide players. Worked.
    So you are saying that Red Bull gave us wings.

It was a really smart move by Vanney. I like how he adjusts mid-game, something that a multitude of previous coaches did not do.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought a bit more of route 1 would have kept that NYRB back line honest. They were way up the pitch. It would have been a perfect role for Ricketts to be honest... too bad he wasn't available.

Jozy and Jordan were working hard to push that line back, but the first half they weren't getting the attention from the midfield. They were kind of invisible for stretches in the first half. NY's high press really congested the midfield, and we were hurrying the passes in trying to go through the middle.

as OtD noted, the way chosen to spread out the NY defence was to force them to widen, and that worked too. Suddenly Jozy's positioning was noticeable by the mids and they were able to get the ball to him.

A poor game for defending, especially in the first half, but a great game from a grit and "are we an elite team" perspective, with the comeback. I think 3 more minutes and it would have been a W.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For what seems like the first time in his tenure, Vanney making a mid-game change of tactic that actually worked.
    The play was definitely centered through the middle of the park after that change.

I do think they could've used Endoh a bit more than they did, not to cross the ball in, but more to spread the opposition out even more than they did.
    I think the players lost confidence in Endoh's ability to follow the script - he tried a couple of shockingly poor crosses and runs into dead-end areas - Bradley gave him a mouth full a couple times, I think that smartened him up after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the most frustrating things for me regarding Vanney has always been his use of subs, specifically the timing. He often has waited way too long to make a change, if at all. Was very pleased in yesterdays game that he put on Cooper early in the second half. The right choice of player I would say as well. The other two subs were not long after, and after reading a few of the previous posts, was a great tactical choice. I didn't initially pick up on the "decoy" aspect of it, but it's clear now.
    Vanney +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I found Sunday's game confusing in relation to Vanney. The three goals were all the kind of the defensive mistakes, that should not be often seen on a good team, and to have three of them in a game is concerning. BUT other then those mistakes, which again were big, and all lead to goals, the performance was great, we were the better team from the binning to the end. In some ways I can attribute all three to our Beitashour, his own goal ( which on its own is something that happens from time to time, and on the second and third, while he was not directly to blame, he had pushed way up to early, leaving him in no position to help.

However, part of it is coaching, I like a three man back line but the three players, need to play like CBs first, not like LB-CB-RB, because it leaves the CB in one on one situations to often. The two outside CBs can push out, but they cannot be too aggressive, and in that game they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    However, part of it is coaching, I like a three man back line but the three players, need to play like CBs first, not like LB-CB-RB, because it leaves the CB in one on one situations to often. The two outside CBs can push out, but they cannot be too aggressive, and in that game they were.
    They didn't go to the three man back line until all 3 goals against had been scored.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just glad NYRB didnt get a red card.

We'd have been fucked.