Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657
Results 1,681 to 1,683 of 1683
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    if we don't get a home game in the playoffs and go out early or don't make it there need to be serious questions.

This squad is still the most expensive in the league and should never be involved in a scrap for playoffs.

Watching LAFC tonight it's sad how far behind we've fallen behind the top in this league in such a short period of time.
    I don't think we are the most expensive in the league after this past window.

We are top five and that is not our place in the standings so the value point stands.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB 2019 Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Yep, this is the truth. While I think I’m probably the one of the ones who made the Manchester City comparisons in the first place, it’s not necessary to have a highly-paid squad to play possession football (See: Ajax).

TFC still does pay a lot of money for their squad. Instead of “expensive” the word “resources” should be used, because the expense isn’t what matters.

TFC lacked (and probably still does) the resources to play this way, but not for lack of spending.

City’s cash helped acquire the correct resources to play the way Pep wanted. It cost them a brazillion dollars, sure, but they were what he needed. That’s not the case with Vanney.

The other thing is that this style of football is live or die by your weakest links. MLS isn’t comparable, because your weakest link is always some talentless American college kid or athletic journeyman filling out the roster.

Talking about spending money is ridiculous when they’re spending money. Whether they’re spending it in the right places is debatable, but it’s also because this is MLS and even spending a lot of money may get you nowhere.

Playing this style of football in MLS is on Vanney. Acquiring the resources is on the FO. If they can’t work together then we get what we have, period.
    To build this way is one of the most challenging things in any league but the number one ingredient is something we don't have after a championship- Patient support with measured expectations.

I'm ready for it but this season was one of the most obvious to see that timing of transfers is everything. On paper and assembled from the start of the season this team would have been in a much better place.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    To build this way is one of the most challenging things in any league but the number one ingredient is something we don't have after a championship- Patient support with measured expectations.

I'm ready for it but this season was one of the most obvious to see that timing of transfers is everything. On paper and assembled from the start of the season this team would have been in a much better place.
    Right, and you have to multiply the challenges of other leagues by a much larger number due to the cap and perceptions about MLS, etc.