Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He and Bez are forcing Manning's hand. I am coming around too. We didn't look good but results are results.

We always dropped points in games like these last two historically.
    The " We didn't look good " part was all on vanney. The brilliant assists from Seba that sent 2 players on a breakaway was the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    The " We didn't look good " part was all on vanney. The brilliant assists from Seba that sent 2 players on a breakaway was the difference.
    What team do you watch regularly pull off pretty wins on the road? Road points are road points. We played the best game possible with the players at our disposal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No credit for pulling off a goal scorer Ricketts for Altidore once he saw that Ricketts wasn't doing much after the goal and an early sub too? A lot of managers would have sat on a goal scorer a while longer and hope that things work out.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Speaking of Manning....

Anyone got a recap of his interview during the game last night?
    I wasn't paying much attention but:
    He was generally happy with the way the game was going
    I think there was a discussion about the fact that we had 4 draft picks starting and how a combination of draft picks, academy and good trades produces a good team.
    Looking forward to the "401 Derby". Get there in time for the Anthem. When he hears us sing the Anthem he almost feels Canadian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Vanney gives Williams something to think about after that atrocious marking job. Otherwise I'd say Vanney has done a good job this past week. I figure I'd come in here and say that since I'm one of the bigger skeptics.

It'll be interesting to see how Cooper is introduced to the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    I wasn't paying much attention but:
    He was generally happy with the way the game was going
    I think there was a discussion about the fact that we had 4 draft picks starting and how a combination of draft picks, academy and good trades produces a good team.
    Looking forward to the "401 Derby". Get there in time for the Anthem. When he hears us sing the Anthem he almost feels Canadian.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    No credit for pulling off a goal scorer Ricketts for Altidore once he saw that Ricketts wasn't doing much after the goal and an early sub too? A lot of managers would have sat on a goal scorer a while longer and hope that things work out.
    I think Jozy was coming on, regardless of Ricketts performance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jozy was coming on, regardless of Ricketts performance.
    Or not if vanney was concerned about jozy pulling a hammy on that shitty turf. If jozy didn't start, I think Vanney wouldn't have risked jozy if tfc was winning and playing well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how many TFC teams I have seen that "played" better but lost.

If it was a one off, I would feel it was more of the story, but this team is getting points when it plays well, and when it doesn't. What more is there?

Hope we're not peaking too soon and have some strategic adjustments in reserve.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I understand why Vanney chooses to field Williams, Hagglund, and Moor in the back three but I think it looked way better with Zavaleta on the field. There's just not enough football smarts in Williams and Hagglund to have them on at the same time (only referring to a back three defence).
    Williams hasn't really been bad, but this back line was down to squad rotation. Morrow has been fairly dreadful all year too, and Beita has had issues with injuries before he even joined the team. That we won the game despite some shocking moments shows how far the team has come, including playing young guys or depth players in formations that would have been suicide before.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time somebody says in here that Vanney is too quiet and cerebral and doesn't connect with the players, I'm just going to point to the last scene in this video and tell them to "just keep on ****ing going".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Next time somebody says in here that Vanney is too quiet and cerebral and doesn't connect with the players, I'm just going to point to the last scene in this video and tell them to "just keep on ****ing going".
    And Nelsen was seen as a fiery leader that could get anyone going, but look how that turned out.

Truth is we don't know what the locker room is like so it's mostly pointless to speculate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    And Nelsen was seen as a fiery leader that could get anyone going, but look how that turned out.

Truth is we don't know what the locker room is like so it's mostly pointless to speculate.
    Agreed. Hasn't stopped people from casting their own aspersions though

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's part of my point.

We don't know.

At all.

So stop trying to judge him based on that and lets focus on the results.

I got issues with his subs. I think he also can't get across his ideas to his forwards all the time. But we are playing a defined style, taught well, with a good shape and he is bringing along the young guys. So don't give me this "he can't connect" stuff. He was a USMNT for Pete's sake, only not going to a World Cup due to an injury. He's not some guy a few years removed from making photocopies.

If it all turns to dust in the next few weeks, he'll be gone. I trust Manning to do that if need be. In the meantime, he's here.

And he's right in that video, this team isn't where it wants to go yet. And there are tough challenges to come, including a derby match and don't for a second think that the Impact will not be up for that one. Good that he recognises that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing the Impact is dreaming about right now is to pull the rug under our feet and undermine our ambitions. They're salivating but we have the quality to blunt their aspirations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually agreeing with you Og (reading my post again I can see how it could be taken the other way). I think it's silly to assume Vanney can't motivate his players because he's soft spoken in interviews just like it was silly to think Nelsen was great at is because he's a rougher personality. I've seen similar comments made about Bradley, that he's not a leader of men because he comes across as calculating rather than passionate whenever we see him speak, but I don't put stock in that either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a suggestion for Vanney:

LEARN HOW TO TAKE FULL FUCKING ADVANTAGE OF BEING AT LEAST A MAN DOWN, O-FUCKING-KAY???!!!!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I def agree that some subs could've been made earlier, like Ricketts coming in.MUCH earlier than the 70' minute.

Yet, at the end of it, can't blame him that the players couldn't figure it out.

You're up a man for 45+ minutes, figure it out guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...here we go again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's all the vanney supporters hiding now?

What a fuckin embarrassment losing to a 10 man team at home, and to boot, losing to montreal of all teams.

#vanneyout #getthefuckoutnow

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's all the vanney supporters hiding now?

What a fuckin embarrassment losing to a 10 man team at home, and to boot, losing to montreal of all teams.

#vanneyout #getthefuckoutnow
    Where were you when the team was winning?

This loss was gutting, but apart from some minor things the game plan was sound. This one was on the players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Where were you when the team was winning?

This loss was gutting, but apart from some minor things the game plan was sound. This one was on the players.
    To me, the just simply don't know how to play a man up, it throws them off for some reason. Just look tonight, especially after they went down, they did not push the play uo, they would go wide and lob the ball in, with very little success.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final
    Toronto FC 0
    Montreal Impact 1 - 1 Red Card

Final
    Toronto FC 1
    Houston Dynamo 1 - 1 Red Card

Final
    Toronto FC 1
    San Jose 2 - 2 Red Cards

Final
    Toronto FC 0
    NY Red Bulls 3 - 1 Red Card

Final
    Toronto FC 3
    Vancouver 4 - 1 Red Card

Final
    Toronto FC 0
    Sporting Kansas 1 - 1 Red Card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I don't necessarily dislike Vanney, this outcome after the red card was very predictable, and the result was exactly what I would have expected, solely based on his substitution choices, the their timing. Completely baffling at best.

In my opinion, Vanney either doesn't watch the clock, or just can't make a decision when it comes to subs and in the end waits way too long, does nothing at all, or chooses the wrong guy.

The Endoh sub was one of the worst I have ever seen. We should have been trying to creatively break Montreal's defence, and instead we go for 40 mins of crosses(like our other two man up games recently) with the same predictable outcome.

The other subs were just too late, and Cooper would have been a much better choice(whether we have seen him or not) than Rickets for unlocking a defensive formation.

Very poor choices overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe constructive, valid criticism is deserved in terms of the subs...but numbers don't lie, we absolutely SUCK when we're a man up. What's Vanney supposed to do, gear up and get on the field himself to try and score??

This is on the players. They need to figure it out, especially when you're a man up and have complete control.

Though I know all the Vanney haters will ignore all that, lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post

The Endoh sub was one of the worst I have ever seen. We should have been trying to creatively break Montreal's defence, and instead we go for 40 mins of crosses(like our other two man up games recently) with the same predictable outcome.

From my angle in 221 Endoh was more effective then Beitashour at getting in and getting crosses close to players.

BTW, Montreal brought on a sub (Salazar) just to deal with him.

Cheyrou over Cooper likely is due to match fitness.

Ricketts was always coming in.

Too late. Possibly but the team that was there before Seba went down was in with some good chances and was trying to play the ball through the middle rather then just crossing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    From my angle in 221 Endoh was more effective then Beitashour at getting in and getting crosses close to players.
    It was clear to me in 114 as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was needed was for Endoh to take a shot or two from those tough angles just to force their wide mids out a bit more. Actually, in general, that was an issue last night - not enough shots taken from distance to force them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Og - that's a crucial issue and Vanney pointed it out no shooting threat from our midfield. The way you beat teams who bunker is with a goal threat from distance. Bradley - osario - Johnson - no them save maybe Cherou have a shot from outside the box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way to stop TFC is to chop Gio down.

Vanney has two months to find a real Plan B.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”