Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I heard through the grape vine late last year that Kreis is still somehow tied to his contract with NY. Not sure of details, but I heard he's somehow limited on options. Same goes with Petke. I'm not sure how long it's for, but that it was the case for last year.
    Kreis has a big money deal with NYCFC and they are still paying him until the end of this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-0 was a poor prediction - made possible only by the sending off. ... that was another 5-6 goal demolition in the making. The trend of the team - the abject weakness of the team and tactics without it's DP's - they are a matter of coaching. The quality of play since returning to BMO has been poor and getting worse. With this team's history - we are right to be nervous. But I have no doubt that the front office has no plan B. Replacing Vanney with another project...no. An international level manager - might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    So re-evaluating him during a 0-2-2 stretch is kind of silly considering TFC was never going to win in New York. Heck, I predicted a 3-0 loss at Red Bull Arena pre-game considering the absences.

Soccer is a game of inches. Did TFC have a successful May? No. But they were also a Giovinco finish away from finishing last month with a 3-2-0 record, which would have them top of the East.

Giovinco misses one-on-ones with the goalkeeper in draws against New York City and Columbus. If he finishes, this thread likely doesn't exist. Look at the big picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    So re-evaluating him during a 0-2-2 stretch is kind of silly considering TFC was never going to win in New York. Heck, I predicted a 3-0 loss at Red Bull Arena pre-game considering the absences.

Soccer is a game of inches. Did TFC have a successful May? No. But they were also a Giovinco finish away from finishing last month with a 3-2-0 record, which would have them top of the East.

Giovinco misses one-on-ones with the goalkeeper in draws against New York City and Columbus. If he finishes, this thread likely doesn't exist. Look at the big picture.
    Therein lies the problem. When we are missing players esp our dp's we almost expect to lose. NYCFC came to us missing their 3 dp's from their starting 11, but you could tell they came to get a result.We go to NYRB missing players and game is over inside 1/2 hr. We have a big issue in our squad depth, the players we bring in to cover injuries etc aren't good enough. Our reliance on Seba and to a lesser extent Bradley is too much. You shut Seba down and essentially we don't score.
    Our starting 11 will compete with any team, but football and esp MLS doesn't work that way. You are guaranteed to have stretches in this league missing your big names, and right now we aren't set to carry those players injured or away on international duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Therein lies the problem. When we are missing players esp our dp's we almost expect to lose. NYCFC came to us missing their 3 dp's from their starting 11, but you could tell they came to get a result.We go to NYRB missing players and game is over inside 1/2 hr. We have a big issue in our squad depth, the players we bring in to cover injuries etc aren't good enough. Our reliance on Seba and to a lesser extent Bradley is too much. You shut Seba down and essentially we don't score.
    Our starting 11 will compete with any team, but football and esp MLS doesn't work that way. You are guaranteed to have stretches in this league missing your big names, and right now we aren't set to carry those players injured or away on international duty.

One key difference: New York City is worse when Pirlo plays.
    Their DPs don't help, for the most part. If I'm taking an honest look, I think the league has helped them out a bit cap-wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Honestly I had the same concerns I had all along.

We scored 1 single goal and though no one talked about it, it looked like Endoh was actually lightly scolded about it because he seemed to poach the ball from Jozy. Not with intent just we wasn't aware of where his team mates were. We were back passing, we nearly got burned because of it. Over all we just weren't hitting the mark or putting a strong offensive showing. I put that blame on Vanney.

So to me the Dallas Performance was concerning but more of the same. Of course I couldn't say that because I'd get shouted down as it seemed people were really happy and more interested in the noise than the product on the pitch.

Look in this thread I brought up these issues before the loss in Portland after the 2-0 win in Montreal on April 26th. I really hoped I was wrong, nothing since then has changed me opinion.
    Agreed 100%, my thoughts exactly. Vanney never displayed any tactics prowess, the whole game plan is Bradley destroying the opponent's attacks and then the ball needs to get in the general direction of Jozy and Seba. Then hope they'll figure something out. There's absolutely no build up in the middle, possession occurs only in our half, mainly through back passes.
    Without Bradley and Jozy, defense is reduced to pilons, while Seba can't get any usable balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are stats comparing this year to last, up to current date:

Wins: 7
    Loss: 6
    Tie: 2

Wins: 5
    Loss: 6
    Tie: 4

TFC have brought in many good upgrades this year and yet there is no improvement in results. This is a clear indication
    that Vanney is the culprit and is not capable of building a cup contender. Vanney has to go, he is just a terrible coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we will see when we get our 2 overpaid DPs back the ones that miss a 3rd of the season every season,he must get a home playoff game or he and bez are done i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is hilarious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jus the true facts my friend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But also doesn;t take into account all the changing circumstances we had between this season and the last, or the likelehood that we go back to being the best team in the conference just once Jozy and Bradley get back next week. Doesn't take into account a lot of things actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt bradley go off injured last night?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney and Bez are absolutely on track to be fired at year end if the team remains mediocre.

The suits are not going to be blaming themselves if a $21M payroll team can't compete with a $4M payroll team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Vanney and Bez are absolutely on track to be fired at year end if the team remains mediocre.

The suits are not going to be blaming themselves if a $21M payroll team can't compete with a $4M payroll team.

It's the middle of the season. We've shown at times withh all our pieces together that we can be dominant. There's no reason to think we're going to stay at this base level for the rest of the season. We have signings to make, we have guys coming back from international duty and injury. We'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't disagree with that. Something has to change if we continue on the current course.

Is Kreis still available?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can't disagree with that. Something has to change if we continue on the current course.

Is Kreis still available?
    He is but there is some speculation he is going to Atlanta.

Agreed on the first. If this course continues for the season, both Bez and Vanney are out - as we all know as no playoffs, they are gone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We should not be a middle of the pack team trying to get a home playoff game.
    We should be top 3 club competing for the MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, and it will be well deserved. They've been patient with Vanney, considering the players currently burning money on the payroll, and he has yet to deliver the kind of results they should expect.

I hope he turns it around once our roster is filled back in with missing players, as I like Vanney, but if we continue this mediocre march, he will have to go.

I'm a little more ambivalent about Bez's future, simply because it's clear that a lot of the big moves "he" made, were actually decided by Leiweke, and he was charged with trying to fill in the cracks. This led to him being handed that shitty situation with Defoe, which he tried to make lemonade out of by getting Altidore, for example.

Then again, the die has been cast, and if he can't get it done within the constraints he has been handed, then maybe they should give someone else a try.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    based upon what? TFC happens to spend more money on just 3 players?

Parity rules MLS. takes exceptional teams to consistently be strong in MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    based upon what? TFC happens to spend more money on just 3 players?

Parity rules MLS. takes exceptional teams to consistently be strong in MLS
    Or you're the LA Galaxy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we need to keep this in mind. as great as it was to qualify for the playoffs last year, nobody wanted to admit that we slid into the final spot that was just added that year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The clearest evidence that the DP system is fatally flawed is to look at Portugal in this Euro 2016. One great player rarely can make a team great on their own. The DP system is the worst thing about MLS - I'd abolish the rule tomorrow if I could.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The clearest evidence that the DP system is fatally flawed is to look at Portugal in this Euro 2016. ...
    Ummm.......

Vanney and Bez will not be let go, if they are, until the end of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Or you're the LA Galaxy.
    Yeah but they usually have 3 DPs and 3 or 4 guys who should be but take pay cuts.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how this thread resurrects after a loss where some bad refereeing, combined with one DP being injured and the other being away were responsible for the loss. It's like losses automatically bring out cries of "fire the coach!"

Vanney has been responsible for losses over his term but this wasn't one of them.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The clearest evidence that the DP system is fatally flawed is to look at Portugal in this Euro 2016. One great player rarely can make a team great on their own. The DP system is the worst thing about MLS - I'd abolish the rule tomorrow if I could.
    It was not always bad. It was a device for a particular time in the league's evolution. But now, I'd say it is not the proper mechanism now, as all the attempts to tack on more and more show. Time has come for a large cap with luxury tax set up. Let the spenders spend, carve out enough to prevent anyone from falling off the cliff at the other end.

Edit: the counterpoint to this is "how to do it in a single entity context." That, unfortunately, is not changing.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 06-27-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i think we need to keep this in mind. as great as it was to qualify for the playoffs last year, nobody wanted to admit that we slid into the final spot that was just added that year.
    In a division with two expansion teams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I love how this thread resurrects after a loss where some bad refereeing, combined with one DP being injured and the other being away were responsible for the loss. It's like losses automatically bring out cries of "fire the coach!"

Vanney has been responsible for losses over his term but this wasn't one of them.

This. I pray we get to a point where we don't have these kinds of thread come up every single time we lose a game, but I fear that that is asking far too much of some people. It's just nice that the people in charge aren't listening to the more trigger happy calls of some of our fanbase anymore.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 06-27-2016 at 10:53 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez's top priority this summer has to be getting another hold up striker. The lack of space for Giovinco to run at a defender 1v1 is killing the offence. Opposition gives up the flank for TFC attackers to put in a hopeful cross, because TFC attackers lack the height to attack the cross in the box. Opposition concentrates on stuffing the centre of their defence because TFC isn't going to be much of a threat from the flanks.
    Hamilton right now is more of a poacher/slasher than a hold up striker. He might develop into a hold up striker, but he'll need to bulk up more and be more mean to buy that space for Giovinco.

Currently the squad relies far too much on pass and move style attack and it's too predictable. In MLS, you do better with a hold up man. As much as Altidore gets flak for not scoring, TFC attack is far better with Altidore in the line up, so that opposition just don't key on stopping Giovinco.
    Just my observation, more competitive teams in TFC players on the counter, has a DM who can pass and break up plays and have a strong hold up man to create space for their creative attackers.

I think Bez and Vanney gets till end of Aug to put TFC at least in a playoff position. Manning might consider firing them if the results don't come by then.

Anyone know where we can clone a younger version of Dichio? lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you tell that to Ismail Elfath