Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That is big news. Deserves its own thread.

I am glad it's done. They have done all we could ask for.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney now has 50 wins for the club.

All 8 other coaches together won 60.

I am impressed how he is keeping everyone happy, even those who struggle to get minutes, and how he tactically switches things up like personnel and formations, keeping other teams guessing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has the Coach of the Year award wrapped up now I think. Paunovic and Pareja were the early contenders but Chicago has cooled off and Dallas has fallen off the face of the Earth.

Finalists will probably be Vanney, Vieira and Paunovic (or maybe whoever leads their team to the top of the West) and Vanney should win it in a landslide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Vanney has the Coach of the Year award wrapped up now I think. Paunovic and Pareja were the early contenders but Chicago has cooled off and Dallas has fallen off the face of the Earth.

Finalists will probably be Vanney, Vieira and Paunovic (or maybe whoever leads their team to the top of the West) and Vanney should win it in a landslide.
    It would be absolutely criminal if he doesn't. He deserves the hardware and recognition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love looking at the first pages of this thread. I think we all hoped he had this potential, but to realize it so soon. He is Kreis 2.0.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I love looking at the first pages of this thread. I think we all hoped he had this potential, but to realize it so soon. He is Kreis 2.0.
    We're at a point where "Kreis 2.0" sounds like a bit of an insult to Vanney.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney Out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started a joke worry thread ... but I actually have a serious worry, which is that Vanney is now the overwhelming favourite to coach the USMNT post 2018.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney and Bez just got new contracts though so he may stay.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I started a joke worry thread ... but I actually have a serious worry, which is that Vanney is now the overwhelming favourite to coach the USMNT post 2018.
    I don't think they go that young this time. Pareja for 22, even with the recent Dallas slide (which is more about how the front office upset the chemistry then anything else). That and I don't think Vanney wants that mantle quite yet - it would mean leaving this project about 2/5ths of the way through. I think he really wants to see the next post Seba/Bradley generation come up. The whole project is about consistency over years, not just for a couple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Vanney and Bez just got new contracts though so he may stay.

I have to accept that Vanney is staying. Well won't be fired... he may quit for other jobs.

I'm still not 100% on him. However I can no deny the team is playing well for the most part, has had an amazing season and that he has grown significantly as a coach in the last two years. At this point I would not want to see him go. My previous criticism of him were, in my opinion, accurate much of that seems to have been fixed. TFC is playing how I think they should have been playing all along. last year we'd score 1 or 2 goals and then back off. That killer instinct was never there.

I still think he needs to figure out (and that may have been done) how to break down a bunkering anti football team. Like Colorado when they just sat down on the pitch to waste time "injured" or like Seattle in the MLS cup with lots of defense and very little offense.

As for the USMNT I think his success comes from being here day in day out. He has grown as a coach but it seems to be a total approach. National teams are difficult because you only have players for short periods. Though I don't think he can do worse than Bruce Arena.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read the comments after the SJE debacle last season - gosh we were in a dark place.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC can be missing key players, need to substitute secondary players and not miss a beat. That comes down to having a good system and that comes from the coach. No question Vanney deserves coach of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I just read the comments after the SJE debacle last season - gosh we were in a dark place.
    Since that game we've only lost seven times over 53 games including playoffs and Canadian cup. That's quite a run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I have to accept that Vanney is staying. Well won't be fired... he may quit for other jobs.

I'm still not 100% on him. However I can no deny the team is playing well for the most part, has had an amazing season and that he has grown significantly as a coach in the last two years. At this point I would not want to see him go. My previous criticism of him were, in my opinion, accurate much of that seems to have been fixed. TFC is playing how I think they should have been playing all along. last year we'd score 1 or 2 goals and then back off. That killer instinct was never there.

I still think he needs to figure out (and that may have been done) how to break down a bunkering anti football team. Like Colorado when they just sat down on the pitch to waste time "injured" or like Seattle in the MLS cup with lots of defense and very little offense.

As for the USMNT I think his success comes from being here day in day out. He has grown as a coach but it seems to be a total approach. National teams are difficult because you only have players for short periods. Though I don't think he can do worse than Bruce Arena.
    I have a feeling you're going through life supporting TFC with disappointment and frustration, because this will be the best it will get. This team will be talked about as the best ever for years, most likely decades.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney out!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been really struck how closely Vanney follows Guardiola in how he has TFC play. Read this article about Guardiola and see if you agree.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/1...game-of-fools/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I've been really struck how closely Vanney follows Guardiola in how he has TFC play. Read this article about Guardiola and see if you agree.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/1...game-of-fools/
    You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 3-5-2 used to be a thing about 10 yrs ago, with Steve Nicol at Revs and DC United, so it's not a new thing in MLS. But Vanney resurrected it, and other teams are trying to copy it.

What I like about Vanney is that he'll make mistakes, but he's not afraid to experiment. And his talent spotting with Bez has been good. That FFA course he took made him a really good tactics guy. I won't be surprised if he ends up coaching in Europe in the future. And he might even succeed there, if a team is willing to be patient with him, as TFC has.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting to look back over some of the comments - especially at the beginning of the thread - now that he's been named 'Coach of the Year'. A well deserved award!!!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/deathwatch
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well, at least until they're in danger of losing a playoff place. That said, I think you shouldn't just throw a coach away for one bad season. Vanney had 3 transfer windows prior to the start of the 2016 season and we could all see the start of his vision, but it wasn't until the 4th transfer window that the 3-5-2 came into being.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...cer-pro-course

Vanney completes USSF 'Pro' coaching license, which seeks to be the new minimum standard for being a coach in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Vanney completes USSF 'Pro' coaching license, which seeks to be the new minimum standard for being a coach in MLS.
    Thanks for sharing this.

Interesting to read they were all committed to being open with one another, but you imagine that is only to a certain extent, not forgetting their respective allegiances.

All the same, it's nice to see such camaraderie, especially between two coaches that just faced off, in the league championship final… not to mention, of course, that it's always great to see the educational bar being raised, when deemed necessary—can only bode well for the football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Anyone think that Vanney gave Marsch a "WHY ARE YOU HERE?" just before the photo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    Anyone think that Vanney gave Marsch a "WHY ARE YOU HERE?" just before the photo?
    Why he was there was clear—still told him to GTFO, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he first MLS coach to win this award?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. That being said the awards have only been around for 5 seasons. Another thing I found out is that the awards do include national team coaches as well, so it's a pretty large group to choose from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a huge award to win. Congrats to Vanney on a remarkable year. Now lets do it all over again next season!!!