Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't have a problem with the no-laptop-bag policy, I can work around it. But I know or have heard from multiple people for whom that's a huge problem for weeknight games -- including my seatmate.

Not being allowed a 16x16x8 backpack (what's allowed at Rogers Centre) is what will be a big problem for me.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-20-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I've taken a laptop bag to literally every midweek game in 112 after coming from work.

It's a pain in the ass.

well point is most of our games are weekends not weekdays....and how many others were bringing laptop bags? I said Im sure there was some, but overall id imagine few actually did that. This issue is rather small to majority of the stadium. Tho the no back pack could be a bit more of an issue .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    .... and if someone was to bring a backpack, would they be asked to leave? Would we be allowed to check them in?

And full pat downs??? These are the reasons I hate going through borders .. and now we're seeing it at soccer games.. ridiculous.
    I have been full patted down many games at TFC, more so between 2007-2009 then anything, (they were patting loads of people down from what I remember back then) but it is nothing new. Montreal away game last year we were patted down. I remember in 2006 Celtic vs AS Roma at Sky Dome...they were patting thousands of people down. Blue Jays game I went to 2 years ago they patted everybody!! Go to concerts and sometime night clubs or even just a busy bar on friday night, nothing new really. Suprised you haven't been patted down at BMO field yet. Most likely tho they will do very little patting down, if they do it will mostly just be in the South End entrances and most likely be the odd person or on a random blitz game where they pat everybody down at Gate 3 but not even bother patting down else where. It won't be a big issue is my guess.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    well point is most of our games are weekends not weekdays....and how many others were bringing laptop bags? .....
    Do you remember the games last year in the rain? Did you notice how many people tried to bring in umbrellas? People don't read the fine print in their tickets. This is going to be an issue.

Somebody should ask MLSE if they are going to run a baggage check still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Do you remember the games last year in the rain? Did you notice how many people tried to bring in umbrellas? People don't read the fine print in their tickets. This is going to be an issue.

I remember the rain, and I have noticed people bringing umbrellas, I was surprised people thought they were a loud....Ive never noticed umbrellas at soccer stadiums before (except in South America where they use umbrellas as more of a Ultra Tifo display, and Portland Timbers for the same reason) Those things can poke an eye out. Don't people notice fans usually wearing ponchos across MLS or even in Baseball and Football games...its not because they love ponchos, its because umbrellas often are not a loud.
    Last edited by james; 04-19-2016 at 10:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

People trying to bring in umbrellas sort of piss me off.

Yeah, sure, you can open that. I'm sure the person behind you won't mind so obviously you won't mind that the person in front of you opens one as well.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a problem. A game for me is an all day event. It's literally 7 or 8 hours. I brig a back pack every single game. It holds drinks for the journey, camera, extra battery for crap but also rain coats (just in case) and a blanket sometimes. You see, I bring my wife. I might have been a bit of a crazy 10 years ago. But now I'm fucking old. I come to enjoy the game. Not pound back beers and go mental. Yes. I even sit sometimes (oh the humanity). Oh. And on weekdays I come straight from work. Yes. I bring my work bag with my laptop.

So what's gonna happen now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the sort of question somebody should be asking Manning. The journos are just saying "Well other leagues..."

The question is not "How can we stop this."

The question is "What do we do if we used to do x?" And, no, not bringing it isn't so easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This does nothing to make us safe from terrorists whatsoever, and the risk of that anyway is extremely low, virtually zero. It does seriously inconvenience people, particularly in cold and wet weather when you might need extra clothes. Maybe it is needed in the US with the nutty gun laws, but here it's too broad and a real inconvenience. If they said no coolers or large bags, and you MAY be subject to a search, fine. It is overreaching but they can because judging from the thread most are compliant. One of the things I like about BMO is the lack of offensive security. Last time I went to the Jays the guy told me the security was necessary to keep the guns out. Hahahahahaha. Yea, right, there have been lots of incidents of guns at sporting events in Canada.

the real problem is that the owners are afraid of not looking like they are doing something AND it's in their economic interest for us to come naked, except for our wallet, and buy everything we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This does nothing to make us safe from terrorists whatsoever, and the risk of that anyway is extremely low, virtually zero. It does seriously inconvenience people, particularly in cold and wet weather when you might need extra clothes. Maybe it is needed in the US with the nutty gun laws, but here it's too broad and a real inconvenience. If they said no coolers or large bags, and you MAY be subject to a search, fine. It is overreaching but they can because judging from the thread most are compliant. One of the things I like about BMO is the lack of offensive security. Last time I went to the Jays the guy told me the security was necessary to keep the guns out. Hahahahahaha. Yea, right, there have been lots of incidents of guns at sporting events in Canada.

the real problem is that the owners are afraid of not looking like they are doing something AND it's in their economic interest for us to come naked, except for our wallet, and buy everything we need.
    PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.
    The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game. France was playing an exhibition against Germany inside.

Oh, 1 civilian was killed during the attack..... although there were 80,000 people inside, that was thwarted because they were frisked at the door...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more step in what has increasingly felt like MLS vs its' supporters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately we live in crazy world so I understand why MLS is stepping up security. Sure it will be an inconvenience to some people going to games now, but it's better to be safe than sorry though.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Tuesday 5pm 7+ weeks into the season seams like a perfectly reasonable time to introduce a new policy.

Let's taking something that has been of 0 concern and change it to make it harder for people to bring what they need to our events. MLS logic
    I now point to this as proof that the incident in DC could've been avoided with an action exactly like this notice. MLS has the tools.

As to this new policy they need to find a solution for those bringing some of these necessary items to some people. I assume the checked items girls and boys are going to have a hell of a turnaround with the amount of complaints coming their way.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I now point to this as proof that the incident in DC could've been avoided with an action exactly like this notice. MLS has the tools.

As to this new policy they need to find a solution for those bringing some of these necessary items to some people. I assume the checked items girls and boys are going to have a hell of a turnaround with the amount of complaints coming their way.
    Has the tools for what? to arbitrarily institute policies mid season without asking for input from anyone? I known that can't be what you're advocating for

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has the tools for what? to arbitrarily institute policies mid season without asking for input from anyone? I known that can't be what you're advocating for
    I mentioned it to damn them. They just proved that they could institute policy change and spread the word immediately.

If anything I'm stating that this and any rules they were unsure supporters would be aware of could've been communicated with a great reach PRE-SEASON and Pre-incident.

I realize we all suspected as much but this makes it obvious to all.

I am not advocating for this rule change.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-20-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I mentioned it to damn them. They just proved that they could institute policy change and spread the word immediately.

If anything I'm stating that this and any rules they were unsure supporters would be aware of could've been communicated with a great reach PRE-SEASON and Pre-incident.

I realize we all suspected as much but this makes it obvious to all.

I am not advocating for this rule change.
    As I agree with you Pete, what you are looking at currently, is a series of incidents which have accumulated to a breaking point, in which they have made a decision...

It's probably a safe assumption, that all teams were part of the greater discussion in which lead to this announcement. Yes its dumb that it comes 7 weeks into the season, but sometimes the wheels of business churn slowly.

I am sure this decision wasn't discussed at a Tuesday morning board meeting and released that afternoon....

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been communicated and instituted at various other clubs pre first game. The fact that its now being mandated to all clubs is curious but not unexpected.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be rough at the beginning and certain games for sure. Security as it stands can't even properly get admittance into the stadium correct with wide open guidelines. I shudder to think of how the people working the gate will butcher this until they sanitize all supporter items out of the stadium.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can I check my small back pack though? I usually pack rain gear and a blanket for those colder games plus 4/5 toys for the toddler

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dont see this as a 'league vs supporters' issue. It's becoming the norm at major sports, music and entertainment events all over the world.

I've seen walk-through metal detectors AND wands being used at minor league hockey games in stadiums with 5,000 seats, and try getting into a concert with a large bag these days. This is going to be a huge inconvenience for the fan who doesn't know the new rules are in place, but I don't think it's aimed at us (and supporters). Unless TFC is planning on doing away with the supporter's entrance, where drums, flags etc are expected, then I can't see us being too inconvenienced
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I shudder to think of how the people working the gate will butcher this until they sanitize all supporter items out of the stadium.
    I always had a private laugh when I'd walk up to the gate and someone new would ask to check my bag - then they'd see the air raid siren.

"Oh, that? Yeah it's cool. Don't worry about that"
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am ok for extra security measures within reason but the backpack thing is going to be a pain for me like it will be for alot of people. I have been bringing one to every game since 2007. I don't mind if they search the hell out of it if that is what it takes. They say special consideration for parents traveling with small children but I still travel with my 12 and 14 year old kids who I still carry stuff for even though they are not small. And my wife who has a medical condition and has her medications and other needs so maybe she can have a bag due to her illness but who is to say we don't get an ignorant security staff person at the gate that is not going to go by that part of the rule? What happens if I take the GO that day which I have been doing more lately? It is not like we can turn around and put anything in the car that is not allowed in and I won't be throwing out any bags so I would have to go back home. Everything my family brings to a game cannot fit into a tiny bag or our pockets. If they make it difficult enough for me I just won't renew my 4 seats again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they want to do a pat down on me, go ahead. If they want to search my bag, again go ahead but I have no way of bringing everything that is needed for a typical game day without having a backpack.

MLS: "we are a great unique sporting experience unlike anything you will get in Canada/America expect when its convenient for us making new rules, then we are just like everyone else"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporters have always had to enter a different gate when bringing things like flags and banners and whatever else into BMO. Does that change?
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough MLSE just called me about another issue with my account so I asked her. She says nothing has been communicated to them about any new changes yet although she said the rule that prohibits a backpack or large bags has always been in effect and they were able to enforce that if needed depending on the situation. She told me a bag like a sackpack with the drawstrings is still ok as far as they are concerned at this time. I am thinking maybe they just didn't communicate the new changes to them yet. Will wait and see. I told her TFC absolutely NEED to tell their fans if anything changes for us. Not holding my breath though. We always have a security crack down a bit for the first few games then they lighten up. I expect the same this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    ... She told me a bag like a sackpack with the drawstrings is still ok as far as they are concerned at this time. ...
    Seems to me that a TFC cinch bag would make a great Home Opener giveaway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they want to do a pat down on me, go ahead. If they want to search my bag, again go ahead but I have no way of bringing everything that is needed for a typical game day without having a backpack.
    ^
    We agree.
    With matches played in the evenings and during the fall season, we bring clothing to keep us warm or dry as required.
    It sounds like our TFC SportChek backpacks will not be allowed either?
    Will MLS or MLSE provide us with a 'new clear bag' as suggested?
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-20-2016 at 10:01 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    Supporters have always had to enter a different gate when bringing things like flags and banners and whatever else into BMO. Does that change?
    We'll be bringing it up with the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would also be great if TFC posted a few photos of new prohobitted items as to better communicate with other fans.

They are going to need media. Someone at the club should be lining up a fluff news story for May 6.

I worry just as much about being in stuck in line behind people who dont know whats up for 30 mins as I do having to cram my coat in a sobeys bag.

I dont think this is fan crackdown. It's one thing to say you cant come in with it, its another to say actually penalize people for bringing it in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)