Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Security crackdown

http://www.fcdallas.com/post/2016/04...-all-20-venues

Well then...

NEW YORK, NY (April 19, 2016) – Major League Soccer today announced elevated security standards that will be applied across all MLS stadiums to ensure a safe environment for soccer fans. Beginning this Saturday, April 24, a new minimum standard Bag Policy and guest screening measures will be instituted in all 20 MLS venues bringing MLS events in line with security measures taken by the other professional sports leagues in North America.

These security standards will apply to all MLS, SUM, and USL games played at MLS venues, including but not limited to MLS League and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games, friendly matches, and fan events.

Fans are encouraged to check venue-specific policies as the below are baseline security standards for MLS events. Individual venues may have additional restrictions on bags and other items entering the stadium.

“Public safety is a top priority and the enhanced security measures will ensure that fans are able to continue to enjoy MLS and SUM events in a safe environment,” said MLS president and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott.

“The safety of our fans, players and staff is paramount,” said Ray Whitworth, Senior VP of Security and Operations. “The updated security measures bring us in line with professional sports leagues around the United States and Canada while maintaining the unique sports experience that is MLS.”

Under the new security policy, all guests will be fully screened upon entry into MLS venues. The screenings will be conducted via a full pat down or with the use of a search wand of magnetometers. Each venue will decide which procedures and protocols will be used to provide this acceptable level of security while ensuring a quality experience for all guests.

Under the new league-wide Bag Policy, fans are prohibited from bring the following into a stadium**:

Large purses
    Coolers
    Briefcases
    Backpacks
    Luggage of any kind
    Computer bags
    Camera bags
    Any bag larger than 14’’x14’’x6’’
    In addition, all bags will be subject to search upon entry. The bag restriction will not apply to credentialed media, who will continue to enter MLS stadiums through designated entrances and adhere to all posted media bag policies and screenings.

**Special considerations will be made for guests with special medical needs and parents caring for infants.

The increased security policy was unanimously supported by the MLS Board of Governors and involved input from all 20 MLS clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A full pat down? Yeah, no. They can go fuck themselves. If there were repeated incidents of people stabbing each other inside MLS stadiums with knives they concealed upon entry, then sure whatever, I'd understand. But nothing precipitated this action.

why the hell are they doing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... and if someone was to bring a backpack, would they be asked to leave? Would we be allowed to check them in?

And full pat downs??? These are the reasons I hate going through borders .. and now we're seeing it at soccer games.. ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I've always been surprised that there was no pat down - not that I want one.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider that in some states it's legal to carry concealed weapons. That could be one of the reasons.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about my murse????!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not an MLS story. There was a major terrorist attack at a soccer game in Paris, and the Boston Marathon ... It's not business as usual anymore, for anyone, sadly.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday 5pm 7+ weeks into the season seams like a perfectly reasonable time to introduce a new policy.

Let's taking something that has been of 0 concern and change it to make it harder for people to bring what they need to our events. MLS logic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shitty, but I saw this coming.

A few bad apples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured MLS would adopt higher security eventually. NFL security rules are even tighter than these. No bags except for a dinky clear bag. Security turnaways got to be such a hassle at Ford Field, the Lions eventually brought in a trailer for people to drop off bags outside the stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to go through a full metal detector at MLB games.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same procedure as going to NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB games. This was inevitable and a good call by MLS...dangerous times we now live in.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concessions grab under the guise of security. Ho hum.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raging pile of bullshit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the league-wide post with the same content (rather than the FC Dallas post):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...ll-20-stadiums

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS policy is tighter than MLB for example, even though MLB stadiums are much larger & have a much higher profile (i.e., more likely target). Here are the rules for MLB & Rogers Centre:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/...ound_rules.jsp

They allow small soft-sided backpacks for example, whereas MLS completely banned backpacks. Bullshit.

And the size restriction is less strict for MLB. 16x16x8" is a more realistic size for a small bag or small backpack. Think about going to games in cold or bad weather, very common at BMO Field, especially with kids (older than infants). Or coming via bike. Maybe this works better at US stadiums in the boonies where everybody drives & can leave their bags in the trunk.

MLB also doesn't seem to have any general restriction against small soft-sided computer bags, at least there's nothing mentioned on that web page. Crucial for people going to weeknight games after work.

As I said, bullshit & overreaction.

PS I guess I'll strap a plastic bag to my bike with bungie cords, and then walk into the stadium wearing 5 layers and a TFC blanket draped over my shoulders when it's cold. Which is much harder for security screening than having some things in a backpack.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-20-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not as stringent as some stadiums in the US. Most NFL stadiums now have a clear bag only policy no bigger than 12x12. Michigan Stadium is no bags at all and any women's purses have to fit through a piece of plastic so small it's barely bigger than a wallet.

As as for pat downs or wanting - the Bell Centre and Rogers both have airport style metal detectors.
    Another summer of hope!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Still not as stringent as some stadiums in the US. Most NFL stadiums now have a clear bag only policy no bigger than 12x12. Michigan Stadium is no bags at all and any women's purses have to fit through a piece of plastic so small it's barely bigger than a wallet.

As as for pat downs or wanting - the Bell Centre and Rogers both have airport style metal detectors.
    So what, much bigger NFL stadiums & Michigan have tighter policies, why do we need to model much smaller & lower-profile MLS stadiums after those? The US is generally over-paranoid anyway, yet fails to mitigate the biggest risks that its citizens face. (I'm American BTW.) I'm fine with metal detectors, and/or special slower lines for screening bags, like at Rogers Centre. No backpack & no laptop bag policy for MLS is bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest I didn't know we were aloud any of these objects in the first place:
    Coolers
    Briefcases
    Luggage of any kind
    Computer bags
    Camera bags

the only one I thought we were aloud was purses and ,maybe backpacks, I really didn't see people bringing the other objects into the stadium anyways.

Also they use to do a lot of patting down in the early days of TFC in the supporter section entrance gates including checking flags (still checked my flag last year every game) for any hidden objects in them. Also has anyone been to the Sky Dome in the last few years? Last game I went (Maybe 2 years ago) they were checking and patting down everyone!!!

Is this really much of a change for majority of people? To me this doesn't sound like new news.
    Last edited by james; 04-19-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    to be honest I didn't know we were aloud any of these objects in the first place:
    Coolers
    Briefcases
    Luggage of any kind
    Computer bags
    Camera bags

the only one I thought we were aloud was purses and ,maybe backpacks, I really didn't see people bringing the other objects into the stadium anyways.

Also they use to do a lot of patting down in the early days of TFC in the supporter section entrance gates including checking flags for any hidden objects in them. Also has anyone been to the Sky Dome in the last few years? Last game I went they were checking and patting down everyone!!!

Is this really much of a change for majority of people? To me this doesn't sound like new news.
    sorta where my head is at

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of people bring backpacks, briefcases and laptop bags into the stadium, also larger bags especially when it's bad weather, and/or bringing kids to the game. That has all been allowed. I can see that more of a size restriction, or only soft-sided bags, is necessary compared with the past, but no need to be tighter than Rogers Centre for example.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Lots of people bring backpacks, briefcases and laptop bags into the stadium, also larger bags especially when it's bad weather, and/or bringing kids to the game. That has all been allowed. I can see that more of a size restriction, or only soft-sided bags, is necessary compared with the past, but no need to be tighter than Rogers Centre for example.
    briefcases and laptop bags? where are these people? in some box office? maybe there has been some, ive never seen it. Purses, yes, backpacks I have seen some. Otheres I just haven't seen anyone in 112 with those objects or in line or just anyone outside of the stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

briefcases and laptop bags? where are these people? in some box office? maybe there has been some, ive never seen it. Purses, yes, backpacks I have seen some. Otheres I just haven't seen anyone in 112 with those objects or in line or just anyone outside of the stadium.
    All over the place, especially for weeknight games. Section 112 is not a "typical" section at BMO Field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring a napsack instead of a backpack ... semantics :-P

and who has been wheeling in their cooler?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Bring a napsack instead of a backpack ... semantics :-P

and who has been wheeling in their cooler?!?!
    that's what I mean, they were aloud this whole time??? come on....that was never aloud!!
    Last edited by james; 04-19-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    All over the place, especially for weeknight games. Section 112 is not a "typical" section at BMO Field.
    I personally don't believe it considering I have been going forever at BMO field and don't see people bringing there briefcases and laptops to drink at Shoeless joes, The Craft or Brasenhead and then lugging it to the stadium and then lugging back through the tunnel to get the GO train. Im sure your not lieing that some people have brought some iteams, but I think its actually very few people bringing any objects other then purses and small bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whos bringing luggage to the stadium?? anyone come straight from Pearson to the stadium with luggage in tow other then Giovinco last year??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of those things have never been allowed at BMO Field. No need to focus on the ridiculous things to distract from the real issues.

No laptops, and especially no backpacks (even small backpacks) will be a problem. Again, why do we need to be more restrictive in smaller, much lower-profile MLS stadiums, compared with MLB?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... going to need more pockets.

I brought a man bag with my scarf/phone charger/gear for probable weather changes. Will have to figure out how to take all that on the TTC.

I agree with the sentiment that this is designed around those who take a car to wherever they go.

My one question is why this weekend?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken a laptop bag to literally every midweek game in 112 after coming from work.

It's a pain in the ass.