Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that the bootbag that they have given away outside the stadium would be okay. My wife and I used to bring a canvas bag to the spring and fall games with a blanket in it along with spare ponchos and sharpies. Sounds like I'll have to wear the blanket from now on. From time to time I would bring my camera and camera bag into the stadium - that's an obvious no-go now.

and apparently I'm not allowed to bring my cooler in anymore either
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this going to be like a TSA situation, where you cant get into the stadium unless you let some random dude grope your children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally carry a large shoulder bag. I checked the dimensions and it's exactly the size limit. And it's pretty big, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's not an MLS story. There was a major terrorist attack at a soccer game in Paris, and the Boston Marathon ... It's not business as usual anymore, for anyone, sadly.
    This.

I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess they really want to make sure you are not bringing in one of these.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ with an arch like that, you could fire it from the parking lot, on the other side of security.

Have then banned streamers yet?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Saw them at the Houston game last week so maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Saw them at the Houston game last week so maybe not.
    lots at RSL game last week ... in a wind storm ... all over field at start

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    ^ with an arch like that, you could fire it from the parking lot, on the other side of security.

That is exactly what I saw at Turf Moor in match between Burnley and the Spurs. Heard a whistling noise and it landed at the front of the 18 yard box. Someone shot it from outside and over the roof.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.
    I too bring kids to games.

But this isn't going to make it any safer.

Don't perpetuate terrorism by surrendering to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Surrendering to terrorism only makes the terrorist win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean...

Before this goes off the rails, can we not pretend to be anti-terrorism experts or pretend to know what fuels terrorists?

That's a big leap even for a forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post

Surrendering to terrorism only makes the terrorist win.
    Surrendering to terrorism would be staying home. These measures are being put in place to help ensure our safety, and I for one will feel better knowing that everyone is being checked at the gates.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do find it a little odd that people are jumping to the conclusion that this has to do with terrorism and not people sneaking in smoke and flares - I mean considering that DCU thread. (I'm not saying that either reason are correct or wrong.)
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Unfortunately we live in crazy world so I understand why MLS is stepping up security. Sure it will be an inconvenience to some people going to games now, but it's better to be safe than sorry though.
    canada is perfectly safe. The US isn't. Their should be a travel advisory due to all the US shootings, but we don't need to bring their culture of fear up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.
    The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game. France was playing an exhibition against Germany inside.

Oh, 1 civilian was killed during the attack..... although there were 80,000 people inside, that was thwarted because they were frisked at the door...

yes. That happened. So have dozens of school shootings in the USA where far more people have been murdered than in Paris. Neither has realistic relevance to what might happen at BMO.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    yes. That happened. So have dozens of school shootings in the USA where far more people have been murdered than in Paris. Neither has realistic relevance to what might happen at BMO.
    The stadium security comparison is relevant. The body count in other violent situations doesn't make it less serious.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

canada is perfectly safe. The US isn't. Their should be a travel advisory due to all the US shootings, but we don't need to bring their culture of fear up here.
    The American counter to that is simply they didn't need to bring their league up here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"security measures", like the TSA searches at American airports, are just one big facade and don't actually do anything except keep everyone fearful of the terrorist bogeyman.

If someone really wants to to wreak havoc at a sporting event, regardless of their means, they will do so and there's nothing " security " can do about it.

Not to say we should live every moment "omg what if!?!?!", because that is no way to live life.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I do find it a little odd that people are jumping to the conclusion that this has to do with terrorism and not people sneaking in smoke and flares - I mean considering that DCU thread. (I'm not saying that either reason are correct or wrong.)
    More than likely, it's a combination of many factors - one of which might be to simply be in line with other leagues on the continent on the issue of security. I think definitely there's a bit of what you're saying, but I think they are also looking at broader threats as well.

I think perfectly safe is a little too optimistic. The Parliament Hill shooting taught us that these things can happen. Though I agree that we don't need to go overboard, either. A balance can be struck between the need for public safety and over-reaching security.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-21-2016 at 07:53 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again if they want to impose measures to increase safety go for it but a banning of backpacks is not going to increase safety, it will only increase the hassle of getting into BMO.

I don't really want to get into the terrorism side of things but if someone wanted to attack Toronto BMO field during a TFC game would be like plan 142 not plan 1.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone.... just before this thread descends too far into the politics of the 'War on Terror' and other such non-topic issues (even though they kind of are related)

Let's talk about what these new measures mean to us on gamedays, and what we can do to work with/around the regulations to keep our enjoyment levels high.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately nowhere is safe anymore. Just look at the terror attack in Australia a couple of years ago at that cafe. Oz is no different from Canada. Canada always has a physical connection to the US which makes it a target for some. And there was a short time ago when you would consider Belgium one of the safest countries in the world, but not anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isnt security. It is security theater. It's a communication to the masses that when you come , you will be 'safe'. When attending other venues in the city, there are different lines/gates for private suite guests. We dont get the same pat down treatments and certaintly dont have to give up personal items that the general public have to yield.

That said, what else should we expect? The simpleton terrorist type of attacks are the most common and easiest to thwart. Like trying to walk into Stade St. Denis with a bomb vest on. Bribing the airport staff with a few dozen euros got the bomb onto the russian airliner in Egypt. That took a bit more work. Protection from attacks of this type requires extensive staff management we just dont allow in Canada from work placce regulation to union contracts to overall expense.

The theatre will move threats towards softer targets. I really hope BMO game day operations is ready with storage facilities and staff that have had training. We all want the full crowd in place from tne very start of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to chime into the terrorist side of this chat, but do you really think the 17 year old teen checking me at the gate is going to stop a major attack?

this reminds me of the time they gave my 80 year old grandma a pat down and emptied her purse at the skydome for a Jays game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to double check

Are all back packs not allowed? if the back pack is small, is that okay?

this one is within the accepted dimensions, 14x14

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are fanny packs still allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am extemely uncomfortable with unscreened, dubiously qualified security guards fondling my children, your children or any young people entering the stadium.
    Talk about counter terrorism if it makes you feel important, but thats a bullshit premise if the security guards are just minimum wage power trippers and not trained in counter terrorism.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im gonna be really annoyed if this is all about stopping smoke and those idiots somehow get smoke in anyway.

At least ill be groped. Thats always fun.