Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I'm 99% sure those signings are not all on Robinson. I would say the reality is the absence of a good striker (and I've been told they put in a $3M offer last season for a player) falls on a couple shoulders, but also location, not specifically Robbo.
    Somebody has to be responsible for handling trades and rubberstamping players coming through the door. Who is that person?

They keep shining that DP turd that is Rivero in the hope he may actually hit the target in a proper match. If they do, I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 04-14-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when everyone preferred Vancouver's model to ours? Good times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well apart for that playoff appearance last year where TFC was obliterated by our good friends down the 401 in La belle province TFC's history has been one giant disaster on the field where compared to Vancouver who have had a lot better success on the field in a shorter amount of years in the MLS yes I would have chosen whatever model the Whitecaps were using. Let's hope that finally things change this year and TFC finally has some real success after all these years of disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The subtext was that their model was better in the long-term, and that our DP model wouldn't get us anywhere. Turns out that's bullshit.

Vancouver has had a higher level of MLS success than us because they came into the league with a running start. Bez had to build an entire roster from scratch three years ago, and this is what we have now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The subtext was that their model was better in the long-term, and that our DP model wouldn't get us anywhere. Turns out that's bullshit.

Vancouver has had a higher level of MLS success than us because they came into the league with a running start. Bez had to build an entire roster from scratch three years ago, and this is what we have now.
    respectfully!(my opinion)......... without Giovinco where would we be success wise ? If they simply exchanged Gio for any DP they have I don't think we'd be that close . Wish it wasn't so ,but our complete status as a team , is slow , and our success would be short lived , without him . Still this year , hopefully, that is to be rectified in the long term . Yes , I agree difficult in the achingly frustrating 'guidlines' of MLS .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    respectfully!(my opinion)......... without Giovinco where would we be success wise ? If they simply exchanged Gio for any DP they have I don't think we'd be that close . Wish it wasn't so ,but our complete status as a team , is slow , and our success would be short lived , without him . Still this year , hopefully, that is to be rectified in the long term . Yes , I agree difficult in the achingly frustrating 'guidlines' of MLS .
    Well, that was the argument being made right? Vancouver purposefully chose not to sign proven expensive DPs and they're struggling to score, we parked a yacht in Giovinco's swimming pool and now we have the best player in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Dallas and Portland proves the opposite obviously but they have a savvy scouting department and a good manager.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jazzy has a good point though. Vancouver is 1 player away from going from middle of the pack to the top of the league. TFC is a Seba injury away from going from the middle to the basement.

I cant help but blame Vanney for everything that happens with TFC. There is no way that we would be where we are with the roster we have, if we had an experienced adaptable coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Jazzy has a good point though. Vancouver is 1 player away from going from middle of the pack to the top of the league. TFC is a Seba injury away from going from the middle to the basement.

I cant help but blame Vanney for everything that happens with TFC. There is no way that we would be where we are with the roster we have, if we had an experienced adaptable coach.
    we have 5 points from 5 away games. What's he doing wrong? Nothing at all so far has suggested to me that we won't be where we should be come august-september, up there challenging for the top 2 spots in the conference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NYRB game was good... The rest of them have been uninspiring. I understand that we're doing OKAY, but I think we should be doing better. I'd like to see TFC spank at least 1 team away. 4-0 type thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fair. I just think these early season results/performances aren't much of a good predictor of how we'll fare the rest of the season, especially considering that all of these are road games. I've brought this point up before, but you need not look further than even last year when New Jersey only won 4 of of there first 14 before going on to win the Supporters Shield.

I just think that to say we're one Giovinco injury away from being as bad as NYCFC or Chicago doesn't give fair credit to the rest of the roster and Vanney too, even. We just don't know yet. The roster is in good shape for the most part and Vanney has not up until this point indicated he definitivly cannot produce with these guys. We just don't know yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fair. I just think these early season results/performances aren't much of a good predictor of how we'll fare the rest of the season, especially considering that all of these are road games. I've brought this point up before, but you need not look further than even last year when New Jersey only won 4 of of there first 14 before going on to win the Supporters Shield.

I just think that to say we're one Giovinco injury away from being as bad as NYCFC or Chicago doesn't give fair credit to the rest of the roster and Vanney too, even. We just don't know yet. The roster is in good shape for the most part and Vanney has not up until this point indicated he definitivly cannot produce with these guys. We just don't know yet.
    Interesting about New Jersey. I didn't realize that.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully committed to the Vanney Out club yet, I just strongly believe that the squad isn't getting all of its horse power out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Interesting about New Jersey. I didn't realize that.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully committed to the Vanney Out club yet, I just strongly believe that the squad isn't getting all of its horse power out.
    True, it is about time that TFC start running on all cylinders, it seems that we are almost that 1975 Plymouth Duster that needs a bit of a tune up. We need a convincing, dominating game this week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

respectfully!(my opinion)......... without Giovinco where would we be success wise ?
    Like Vancouver right now. Except with a better midfield and a guy who scores/assists at a pretty good clip per minute played but people are frustrated with.

We were a real mess after short pants.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying either model can't work but this DP model is working. Past DP models here...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in defence of MR.Vanney ,Uncomfortably), as many of stated better than I, we don't always use formations that utilize Gio's abilities the best , ( I guess I would prefer that .) But as coach, are these formations better for the development of overall team strength for the future ? Or the best utilization of the players we have in the present ? Is that our hope? That would seem to be a waste of our rare star . Time is of essence here yes? Chicken or egg ? And for me a second real offensive threat may be all we are lacking . (Again not an original point) .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in defence of MR.Vanney ,Uncomfortably), as many of stated better than I, we don't always use formations that utilize Gio's abilities the best , ( I guess I would prefer that .) But as coach, are these formations better for the development of overall team strength for the future ? Or the best utilization of the players we have in the present ? Is that our hope? That would seem to be a waste of our rare star . Time is of essence here yes? Chicken or egg ? And for me a second real offensive threat may be all we are lacking . (Again not an original point) .
    well as said in the Sun today, with the return of Altidore, Vannney described the formation for the weekend as 4-2-2-2.....so I'd say they're going for the bolded.....that formation is something I don't mind really.....much better than having Seba in the middle of a forward 3.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson seems to have more leeway to go forward then Bradley. I'm somewhat surprised at how disciplined Bradley has been back there. Johnson though has missed a few shots this season. Gets into good position but not finishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Somebody has to be responsible for handling trades and rubberstamping players coming through the door. Who is that person?

They keep shining that DP turd that is Rivero in the hope he may actually hit the target in a proper match. If they do, I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year.
    If I had to guess Lenarduzzi and/or Anderson are the ones who get the final say. I'm sure Robbo is "in the room" but I do feel like Vancouver is Bobby's team.

I agree 100% they messed up on Rivero - his salary is outrageous and I'd only be happy if he was making 1/4-1/5 his current wage. I also think (well maybe it's already determined) Kudo is a bust. So the search continues for a proven goalscorer ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB is not a good example or comparison. Since 2010 they have consistently been playoff contenders and won the SS twice. There is a clear, proven track record of their success and reasonable supposition that if they have a slow start or hit a bump in the road, will correct itself and not flame out. To say they only won 4 of their first 14 misses they were undefeated in their first seven games and in that stretch were 4-5-5, not a great, but not terrible start to the season. And after that they never lost twice in a row in 2015.

I think to say "we just don't know" is a bit of a cop-out. We know plenty about this team/club - they've had good starts to the season and poor ones and only made the playoffs once. To say things like "we just don't know yet" when there is plenty of information available to draw logical conclusions is avoiding reality. Especially when we know plenty about this team from last year and it's components to say the majority of the load was carried by Seba. Can we win without Bradley? Yes. Can we win without Altidore? Yes. Can we win without Giovinco? There is little, if anything, to point to that the answer is yes on that front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for me a second real offensive threat may be all we are lacking.
    This made me curious how our second threat compares to the rest of the league - all these numbers are from the MLS site for last year. Altidore had 13 goals (with no assists, which seems wrong to me but it's the official site so...) in 21 starts - as for the comparable / more productive secondary threats:

Ethan Finlay 12 G (13 A) - 34 starts
    Mauro Diaz 8 G (10 A) - 24 starts
    Ignacio Piatti 9 G (9 A) - 26 starts - was primary threat until Drogba arrived
    Lee Nguyen 7 G (10 A) - 31 starts
    Lloyd Sam 10 G (7 A) - 27 starts
    Kaka 9 G (7 A) - 28 starts
    Clint Dempsey 10 G (10 A) - 20 starts
    Benny Feilhaber 10 G (15 A) - 30 starts

Take from this what you will.

Personally I don't think Altidore isn't an effective threat in this league - I just have a bad feeling we're not going to get much more than 21 starts from him again this year.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    This made me curious how our second threat compares to the rest of the league - all these numbers are from the MLS site for last year. Altidore had 13 goals (with no assists, which seems wrong to me but it's the official site so...) in 21 starts - as for the comparable / more productive secondary threats:

Ethan Finlay 12 G (13 A) - 34 starts
    Mauro Diaz 8 G (10 A) - 24 starts
    Ignacio Piatti 9 G (9 A) - 26 starts - was primary threat until Drogba arrived
    Lee Nguyen 7 G (10 A) - 31 starts
    Lloyd Sam 10 G (7 A) - 27 starts
    Kaka 9 G (7 A) - 28 starts
    Clint Dempsey 10 G (10 A) - 20 starts
    Benny Feilhaber 10 G (15 A) - 30 starts

Take from this what you will.

Personally I don't think Altidore isn't an effective threat in this league - I just have a bad feeling we're not going to get much more than 21 starts from him again this year.
    Thanks for the info, not too shabby numbers for Altidore! Really wish we could juggle our system to have him positioned effectively with Giovinco on a consistant basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Altidore had 13 goals (with no assists, which seems wrong to me but it's the official site so...) in 21 starts
    no its correct.....he got his first assist in a TFC shirt on Seba's goal last weekend v NER.....may be hard to believe but its right.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Well Dallas and Portland proves the opposite obviously but they have a savvy scouting department and a good manager.
    Portland isn't a great example as they'd be nowhere without Ridgewell and Adi, both seven-figure DPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/14...saturdays-game

Morrow not suspended, expect some squad rotation for this match, Endoh and Cheyrou both out. Going with a new formation that will look something like this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worrying thing for me this season is the lack of fire in the belly starting games. Vanney isn't the kind of manager who gets the team fired up. The "5 points on the road in 5 games is good" argument was the same last year. I was pumped up for the home opener last season & fizz.. we played completely un-inspired football and lost what should have been a sure bet. If the manager can't get the team pumped for big games - there is a problem. The same situation happened in the play-off debacle & the Columbus game before it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The worrying thing for me this season is the lack of fire in the belly starting games. Vanney isn't the kind of manager who gets the team fired up. The "5 points on the road in 5 games is good" argument was the same last year. I was pumped up for the home opener last season & fizz.. we played completely un-inspired football and lost what should have been a sure bet. If the manager can't get the team pumped for big games - there is a problem. The same situation happened in the play-off debacle & the Columbus game before it.
    How very true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    we lost that game because we came into it with the wrong tactics, not because the team wasn't 'fired up', the same way the first 25 minutes against NE had less to do with intensity and more to do with a faulty tactical approach. At the end of the season what matters is points accumulation, not fiery performances that appease fans who need the team to be "pumped up" and "fighting for the badge". I've seen a lot of shit teams who had a fire in their belly. It didn't matter at the end of the day once they finished at the end of the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Thanks for the info, not too shabby numbers for Altidore! Really wish we could juggle our system to have him positioned effectively with Giovinco on a consistant basis.
    Ah yes, but how????? Can we be defensively strong with Seba AND Jozy having no defensive responsibilities? I really like Jozy, but still think the team would have been better if we traded Jozy for Garber$$$ and a winger, and kept Gomez.

i hope I am wrong and we will see.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'm shocked Morrow wasn't suspended by the league.