Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 6 - Only Those Who Dare to Fail Greatly - TFC @ DCU Sat 16 5pm TSN

Yes, I'd like to see some offence.

Have at it people.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC is playing Caps right now on TSN 1. early 2nd half
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC certainly got a boost from a struggling Vancouver. Pretty confident as is we can put up more of a fight.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely. DC didn't do anything spectacular, more a result from a struggling Vancouver team who had two players make their first starts of the season. DC's subs did however provide a nice spark to the end of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Espindola and Saborio have proved time and time again in this league that they'll burn you if given the chance.

And if there's any team that can and will give them a chance, unfortuately it's us.

Ugh...I wish I felt better about this game, though I guess it still is only Monday, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, fortunately for us the rest of that team is god awful. Saborio and Espindola (who are a combined age of almost 65 now) won't be much use to them if they don't get the ball in good areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think we have a good chance for a win here. DC isn't very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our chances are high for 3 points in this one. Yes they embarrassed Vancouver but they haven't had any form yet this year. We need more offense then what we saw last game. We seem content with just booting the ball up the pitch and hoping Seba can run underneath it. I'd like to see more control and a structured attack in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not know they had Saborio too, well then Espindola along with Saborio and don't forget Rolfe are the kind of players that have caused all sorts of problems for TFC in the past and won't be surprised if any of these three cause major problems again , not going to be easy, will be very surprised of a TFC win, but if they have improved like everyone is trying to convince us that they have then they can prove it by getting a win here or again at least at tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like TFC to revert back to 4-3-3 formation... The 4-4-2 which they played last week did not work.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I would like TFC to revert back to 4-3-3 formation... The 4-4-2 which they played last week did not work.
    4-3-3 doesn't work if Jozy is to be in the lineup. Putting Seba at LW either forces him to work too much defensively or lose shape defensively if Seba doesn't have to work a lot defensively.

I think 4-4-2 works vs DC, not a strong team defensively. They are bunch of grinders and have a strong veteran presence. But they don't have a lot to hurt TFC if TFC stays composed defensively esp on counter. (DC does have some pace) Guys like Rolfe and Espindola can hurt you if you make that one mistake, and I like that Acosta kid who is very creative (and lately only been used as a sub) but DC can be torn apart with quick moving balls and switching balls to other flank.

Offence is the way to go. Play 2 strikers up front and have Giovinco run at Franklin, and he had success against Franklin in 1v1 battles before. Jozy will need to take a bruising occupying the 2 physical CBs. And their GK is some new guy that doesn't have much experience yet.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    4-3-3 doesn't work if Jozy is to be in the lineup. Putting Seba at LW either forces him to work too much defensively or lose shape defensively if Seba doesn't have to work a lot defensively.

I think 4-4-2 works vs DC, not a strong team defensively. They are bunch of grinders and have a strong veteran presence. But they don't have a lot to hurt TFC if TFC stays composed defensively esp on counter. (DC does have some pace) Guys like Rolfe and Espindola can hurt you if you make that one mistake, and I like that Acosta kid who is very creative (and lately only been used as a sub) but DC can be torn apart with quick moving balls and switching balls to other flank.

Offence is the way to go. Play 2 strikers up front and have Giovinco run at Franklin, and he had success against Franklin in 1v1 battles before. Jozy will need to take a bruising occupying the 2 physical CBs. And their GK is some new guy that doesn't have much experience yet.

The other alternative is to go into a 4-2-3-1 with Jozy up top. Seba, Bradley and Ozo forward in Mid, and WJ and Cheyrou in front of the back 4.

That is the only formation I can think of that uses all of our 11 to their strengths (as much as we can of course).

Jozy - target man
    Seba - Runs rough shot through the middle
    Bradley and Ozo - defensive on the sides when needed other wise cross/drive into the box
    Johnson and Cheyrou - starting the ball forward and coverage for Seba/Bradley when they go forward.
    Back 4 and Irwin - same as they have been so far this season.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to believe TFC is looking for the full 3 points here and will play a little more on the front foot and not so conservative. The next two games against MTL and POR will be much more difficult so getting to 8 points now will ease a lot of pressure.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they revert back to 4-3-3 if Endoh is good to go. They'll try Jozy in the middle and Seba out left but give him the license to roam as he pleases. They would then need a work horse behind him on the left (Johnson or Delgado) to ease his defensive duties.

I do think they'll stick to the same 4-4-2 line up as last week but replace Delgado with Cheyrou. I thought Delgado was poor last game and they'll likely push him back to a sub role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ref for this match is Mathieu Bourdeau. According to the PRO website this will be his second career MLS game as the head referee: http://www.proreferees.com/roster-mathieu-bourdeau.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Espindola just named player of the week for his efforts against Vancouver.

I have a feeling we'll be without Morrow this week - any idea when the disciplinary committee comes out with that stuff? It seems like every week this year they're retroactively suspending players, and I think this week it's our turn.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting Seba at LW either forces him to work too much defensively or lose shape defensively if Seba doesn't have to work a lot defensively
    Seba played LW more than any other position during his time in Italy. In fact, I remember Conte getting ripped apart a few years back for "misusing" Seba when he moved him away from the wing.

If you look at most top teams who play 4-3-3, the wide FWs do not defend. How much defending does Cavani or Ribery do at LW?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Seba played LW more than any other position during his time in Italy. In fact, I remember Conte getting ripped apart a few years back for "misusing" Seba when he moved him away from the wing.

If you look at most top teams who play 4-3-3, the wide FWs do not defend. How much defending does Cavani or Ribery do at LW?
    except that Vanney's tactics using 4-3-3 have wide forwards play 2 way and on defence it's a 4-1-4-1.

Vanney has Giovinco playing central because Seba has license as free role to roam wherever he wants. right now on away games, the emphasis seems to be on keeping the shape esp on defence and Seba on LW on free roam means someone has to cover for him on left side of the pitch to avoid Morrow being stuck on 1v2 defending situation. we got a lot of goals scored on last season because the team wasn't good enough defending to avoid all the 1v2 situations and adjusting for that overlapping opposition offender cause the team to lose shape.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice to see Giovinco play LW in the 4-3-3 system Vanney started with this season. Defensively Gio has the tactical acumen and engine to cover that spot and he wouldn't be forcing out any defensive stalwarts on that side either - Osorio only made a single interception last game, no tackles/blocks. Offensively Gio gets more involved in the build-up areas and has more space out wide, in the final third he'd still draw more defenders to him. Of course there can also be a bit of interchange with Altidore who is better suited for covering back on set-pieces. Decisions, decisions...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Molinaro http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...justin-morrow/

Cheyrou went out from training today and is questionable.

Endoah day to day.

Williams back from illness.

Morrow might be suspended - options are Lovitz or Morgan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except that Vanney's tactics using 4-3-3 have wide forwards play 2 way and on defence it's a 4-1-4-1.

Vanney has Giovinco playing central because Seba has license as free role to roam wherever he wants. right now on away games, the emphasis seems to be on keeping the shape esp on defence and Seba on LW on free roam means someone has to cover for him on left side of the pitch to avoid Morrow being stuck on 1v2 defending situation. we got a lot of goals scored on last season because the team wasn't good enough defending to avoid all the 1v2 situations and adjusting for that overlapping opposition offender cause the team to lose shape.
    Vanney can only use the players at his disposal. Injuries have necessitated a departure from the 4-3-3 he used in preseason. What we've seen for the majority of matches thus far has not been Plan A. Personally, I think its too big a stretch to even call what we've seen a 4-3-3.
    Last edited by Bobo; 04-13-2016 at 07:54 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC will be getting warm and sunny weather for most of the week leading up to kick-off on Saturday. Tomorrow and Friday there will see a high of 18 degrees Celsius on both days, with the temp pushing up to 19 degrees Saturday afternoon. Excellent conditions for training and practise prior to the match for the home team, unfortunately. Though I'm sure TFC will get a bit of outdoor practice in before they head out to Washington. DC will be coming into the match with 6 points and a record of 1-2-3. Their only win so far this season being last weekend's 4-0 blow-out at home against Vancouver. TFC is right behind them in the standings with 5 points and a record of 1-2-2 following the draw against New England last weekend, though we do have a game in hand.

Kinda tough to say how the match on Saturday will play out for TFC. Even though it's still early in the season, DCU's standings are a bit inflated with that lopsided result against the Whitecaps. Even after racking up four goals on the weekend, they've still got a Goal Differential of -2. A boxing euphemism comes to mind - Punching above one's weight, perhaps?

Anyway, it's still an MLS away game for us, and we already know what the odds are for teams on the road, so I'm not going to make any crazy prediction one way or another. Sorta see a 2-2 draw, maybe a 2-1 win for the good guys. But if they get into the same rhythm against TFC as they did against the Whitecaps, it's anyone's guess how things will play out. When you get guys like Sabo, Espindola, Acosta running on all cylinders (and even Nick Deleon who looked like he had a good 90 minutes that game), it can be tough going for anyone playing them. Possibly losing Morrow and/or Cheyrou would suck. Hopefully Endoh will be fit to be an option on the bench for Vanney.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're better than them at every position. If there's one game in this road trip we should go into with the expectation of coming away with three points, it's this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the crowd shouldn't be a factor seeing how DC hardly gets enough people at their home games to qualify as a crowd. Time to show that DC has been overachieving. 3-0 Reds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    We're better than them at every position. If there's one game in this road trip we should go into with the expectation of coming away with three points, it's this one.
    What does that say about the Whitecaps then?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    What does that say about the Whitecaps then?
    Robbo has a massive problem. They just can't score. Good defence, shitty strikers.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbo has a massive problem. They just can't score. Good defence, shitty strikers.
    And they were missing Laba and Porales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except that Vanney's tactics using 4-3-3 have wide forwards play 2 way and on defence it's a 4-1-4-1
    what I get from this then is that Seba and Jozy can't be on the field at the same time if Vanney goes 4-3-3.....neither one defends.....

imo playing Seba in the middle of the 3 is a waste.....he's not a central player, plain and simple.....Altidore's qualities are better suited to play in the middle.....

the only way I see it to work in a 4-3-3 is to have only the RF support the midfield when TFC doesn't have the ball so you're basically defending like a 4-4-2.....this way you can maximize the assets on offense without giving up too much when you don't have the ball.....
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 04-14-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's time to take off those rose-tinted glasses and really evaluate Carl Robinson's recent acquisitions. The reality is that he's been given 3 years to bring in a good striker with DP money and he's failed. After shipping Koffie and Beitashour out, I don't think he can mask his offensive problems with defensive resilience anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    It's time to take off those rose-tinted glasses and really evaluate Carl Robinson's recent acquisitions. The reality is that he's been given 3 years to bring in a good striker with DP money and he's failed. After shipping Koffie and Beitashour out, I don't think he can mask his offensive problems with defensive resilience anymore.
    He's also done the very popular move of acquiring untested, young, affordable South American players and that has really been hit or miss. Mostly miss I'd say considering they are all offensive players, especially the past two seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'm 99% sure those signings are not all on Robinson. I would say the reality is the absence of a good striker (and I've been told they put in a $3M offer last season for a player) falls on a couple shoulders, but also location, not specifically Robbo.