Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 5 - Try this trick and spin it - TFC @ NER - Saturday April 9 4 pm

Game is on TSN4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1 New England but don't worry we have all these home games coming up from May onward that we will win just because we are playing at home all TFC have to do is show up and they will win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was dead certain TFC would win in Colorado and I'm dead certain TFC won't at Gillette Stadium. Maybe I'll be wrong again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe Vanney will go for the BENITO 0-0 win.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The choice of Babouli last night indicates Vanney was going for it. If he had put Delgado in as the right forward, that would have been defensive. Lets see what happens next week but I'm hoping to see Altidore and Endoh in. Time to release the shackles. NER preys on midfields who lose their shape - TFC hasn't this season. I'm quietly confident we can get points here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The choice of Babouli last night indicates Vanney was going for it. If he had put Delgado in as the right forward, that would have been defensive. Lets see what happens next week but I'm hoping to see Altidore and Endoh in. Time to release the shackles. NER preys on midfields who lose their shape - TFC hasn't this season. I'm quietly confident we can get points here.
    He also inverted the wingers (Lovitz on right and Babouli on left) which I think points towards him wanting them to tuck in and have the fullbacks overlap, push high and take up attacking positions, all of which points towards a much more attacking style

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has a dilemma. Does he stick with 4-3-3 with Giovinco on top which has resulted in more defensive stability but not enough offence as opposition takes Giovinco out of the game. Or play Altidore up top and Giovinco on LW which may open up more space for Giovinco to go 1v1 against a defender but limited to left side of the pitch. And may result in Giovinco drop too deep helping out defensively and not much of a factor on offence. Or play 2 forward up top which may provide more offence at sacrificing structure defensively.

I think Vanney will again be conservative and play defensive 4-3-3 again. The lack of quality on wing is killing this team though.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we have peeps travelling to this one. Sound off if you're going!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Vanney has a dilemma. Does he stick with 4-3-3 with Giovinco on top which has resulted in more defensive stability but not enough offence as opposition takes Giovinco out of the game. Or play Altidore up top and Giovinco on LW which may open up more space for Giovinco to go 1v1 against a defender but limited to left side of the pitch. And may result in Giovinco drop too deep helping out defensively and not much of a factor on offence. Or play 2 forward up top which may provide more offence at sacrificing structure defensively.

I think Vanney will again be conservative and play defensive 4-3-3 again. The lack of quality on wing is killing this team though.
    I'm going to guess he puts Giovinco at LW and Altidore up top, with Endoh on the right this time. Endoh will be defensively responsible on his side, while Giovinco will be more lax. That means Morrow stays at home most of the time while Beitashour is able to go forward.

Maybe Osorio gets sacrificed and Delgado starts on the left side of the midfield three in order to get a better defensive presence there while Giovinco is at LW.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at some point, I'd like to see Osorio up top with Seba and Altidore.....imo he has the "smarts" to play with them.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    at some point, I'd like to see Osorio up top with Seba and Altidore.....imo he has the "smarts" to play with them.....
    Pace has always been the issue with playing Oso as winger tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    that and his lack of incisiveness. He can't finish and he doesn't play enough of the dangerous balls necessary for someone playing that high up the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    that and his lack of incisiveness. He can't finish and he doesn't play enough of the dangerous balls necessary for someone playing that high up the pitch.
    ya fair points guys, but he's gotta be better than the other options that have been put on the wings so far.....he seems to be most likely to be on the same page as Seba and Altidore in comparison to the other options (Lovitz, Endoh, Delgado, etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    ya fair points guys, but he's gotta be better than the other options that have been put on the wings so far.....he seems to be most likely to be on the same page as Seba and Altidore in comparison to the other options (Lovitz, Endoh, Delgado, etc.)
    Oso and Gio do play off each other well but like they said, the boy can't finish and he's a tad on the slow side.
    I think Delgado is building up decent Chem with Gio and in the first couple of games there were some nice give and go's between Endoh and Gio so perhaps something to build there as well. It's really only jozy who isn't linking up well with anyone..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Oso and Gio do play off each other well but like they said, the boy can't finish and he's a tad on the slow side.
    I think Delgado is building up decent Chem with Gio and in the first couple of games there were some nice give and go's between Endoh and Gio so perhaps something to build there as well. It's really only jozy who isn't linking up well with anyone..
    and lovitz, seems lost out there. but he doesn't make DP money so I'm not pissed about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's only natural that Gio will be blocked out by two big central defenders if he plays up top alone. He can't always create a yard from nothing when he's stranded.

I sometimes wonder why we don't play a 3-5-2 given how we have no wingers and the best combo up top has both altidore and giovinco. Something like

-----------Seba---Jozy-----------
    -----Osorio/Cheyrou---Johnson-----
    Morrow------Bradley--------Beitashour
    -----Moore--Perquis--Williams--
    -------------Irwin------------

Both Giovinco and Jozy are good at drifting wide, and we'd maintain our solidity while making better use of our forwards' talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seen this a bit last year as well, and for me Delgado is the only other (starting) option right now.....Seba and Endoh looked ok together in the first game, but Seba seemed to pass up on giving Endoh opportunities in Game 2......

I mention Osorio because despite his shortfalls, he seems to be the most advanced in the quality I consider most important to play with guys like Seba and Altidore, and that's IQ.....hes ahead of the rest of our options in that department imo.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think it's only natural that Gio will be blocked out by two big central defenders if he plays up top alone. He can't always create a yard from nothing when he's stranded.
    agreed....Seba is completely wasted alone up top.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think he's just indecisive when it comes to shooting the ball, Oso has shown he can play those dangerous balls and is really good at it as well imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team is sounding the right note here. Moving on. For what it's worth

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...chael-bradley/
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wonder why we don't play a 3-5-2 given how we have no wingers and the best combo up top has both altidore and giovinco. Something like

-----------Seba---Jozy-----------
    -----Osorio/Cheyrou---Johnson-----
    Morrow------Bradley--------Beitashour
    -----Moore--Perquis--Williams--
    -------------Irwin------------

Both Giovinco and Jozy are good at drifting wide, and we'd maintain our solidity while making better use of our forwards' talents.
    IIRC Vanney tried a variant of 3-5-2 for couple of games last season. Wasn't pretty.

Only team that's tried 3-5-2 or something like that this season is NYCFC. And they can get away with it at home due to small pitch at Yankees Stadium. Still, it's been a mixed result for them so far.

3-5-2 is a pretty hard system to learn especially when most MLS defenders are used to playing 4 at the back. It's not something that can be learned midseason and expect to be effective at it. Personally, I think 4-1-3-2 is the best system for TFC, considering how many box to box mids and no strong wingers.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe give Morgan a go on the wing?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    he can't be any worse than Lovitz. Even if he's only got one move he uses all the freaking time.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-3-3 with Jozy in the middle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    4-3-3 with Jozy in the middle
    Aach, he's so petulant about that. He made it clear after Sunderland that he felt his best position was as a wide forward, not a target man, and he's better with the ball at his feet. I don't think it's true, either, but if a guy thinks that, you wonder if you'll get your best out of him playing a role he doesn't want. That's why I thought keeping him in a two-man front made sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not mind seeing a 4-1-3-2 tried at some point. The defensive makeup is basically the same if you stick Bradley in front of the backline. Just have to mind the wings a little more.

-------Giovinco---Altidore---------
    ----Osorio---Johnson----Cheyrou--
    ------------Bradley---------------
    Morrow--Moor--Perquis--Beitashour
    ------------Irwin------------------

Something like that. And if we want something more offensive it's a pretty easy switch to a 4-3-1-2 (Giovinco could play in the hole, or keep him up top and put Osorio or Delgado there - heck, I have a suspicion that Cheyrou might actually be a great playmaker in that role). It gets more vets on the pitch at the same time in a formation that makes sense. On the flip side, there's no obvious role for wingers like Lovitz or Endoh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think his crossing is underrated, he has good foot speed, he can beat a man occasionally on the dribble. I don't think he'll ever start there and when he was playing regular a few seasons ago, his man marking seemed a lot stronger than it has in the last two seasons, so maybe to get the most of him at fullback he just needs to play regularly. He didn't ever really get a chance in a team of this quality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aach, he's so petulant about that. He made it clear after Sunderland that he felt his best position was as a wide forward, not a target man, and he's better with the ball at his feet. I don't think it's true, either, but if a guy thinks that, you wonder if you'll get your best out of him playing a role he doesn't want. That's why I thought keeping him in a two-man front made sense.
    My argument to him would be, when has he proved that hes great out wide, not to mention that playing down the centre doesnt always mean he HAS to play down the centre, its just most of the time. More or less let him prove/earn his right to play where he wants, althoughi suspect somewhere along the line when hes played down the middle well enough hed realize hes fine where he is obviously this is all speculation through me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

I'd like to see them actually try this. We gotta try Altidore at the tip and Seba on the left or we will never really know if it works.