Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Bendik saved a PK. I guess miracles do happen
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great half in Orlando. Kaka still has plenty left in the tank and the crowd has been great. Good to see since the rest of the games this weekend have been mediocre at best.
    That Shea tackle was such a bone headed play and most of the refs would give that a straight red. After seeing the gif replay like 40 times, Shea's studs up right foot doesn't make contact, wonder if Kelly noticed that or just didn't want to pull a red out with the game still young...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised no one has mentioned Cyle Larin had to leave the game about 30 mins in due to an injury.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do I get the feeling some people will point to that foul as proof the refs are not going over board.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    I think that was a straight red, Petrescu only pulled the red card out of his pocket, he never showed Warren the second yellow first.
    The announcer even says that it should've been a straight red so I'm not sure. I am sure Creavalle is faster than his finesse...

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Gilberto missed a golden opportunity to the left, then a little while later misses one to the right.
    He just can't hit the net today.
    On the goal he very well could have redirected it but luckily he did not. Remaining scoreless in the game, though.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    And Bendik saved a PK. I guess miracles do happen
    That certainly kept them in the drivers seat. The longer the game went the sillier Shea was playing. But that goal...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt and it was a poor play to begin with. A step over when he needed to protect the ball on the side he then over compensates when it gets away from him.

Can't see the lead up there but in the game highlights it's very clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any other league, that's a 50/50 challenge and a free kick at most. Even Arena said so after the game. If Laba had come in later, sure, but they reached the ball at almost exactly the same time. A split-second difference is not "dangerous play". Except in MLS, where even seeing a glimpse of stud is an automatic red. I guess we'll have to outlaw the slide tackle then.

EDIT: In fact, he makes contact with the ball BEFORE he slides through and hits the player. Yes, his studs are up, but not in the classic "toe up" kick fashion; his foot is sideways from a slide tackle.

The point is, for it to be dangerous or intent to injure in other leagues, the studs would have to be fully exposed and he would have to come in late enough for it to be visible. Here, they literally both hit the ball on opposite sides at almost exactly the same time. No way this gets a red in the EPL. No way! He was going for the ball.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    In any other league, that's a 50/50 challenge and a free kick at most. Even Arena said so after the game. If Laba had come in later, sure, but they reached the ball at almost exactly the same time. A split-second difference is not "dangerous play". Except in MLS, where even seeing a glimpse of stud is an automatic red. I guess we'll have to outlaw the slide tackle then.

EDIT: In fact, he makes contact with the ball BEFORE he slides through and hits the player. Yes, his studs are up, but not in the classic "toe up" kick fashion; his foot is sideways from a slide tackle.

The point is, for it to be dangerous or intent to injure in other leagues, the studs would have to be fully exposed and he would have to come in late enough for it to be visible. Here, they literally both hit the ball on opposite sides at almost exactly the same time. No way this gets a red in the EPL. No way! He was going for the ball.
    You catch Leicester on the weekend? Imagine this tackle in MLS: https://streamable.com/w9jp

Someone does that here, it's a no-hesitation red card, game ruined, probably a fine from the DisCo and people talking about how "recklessly" Vardy went in. For a hard but fair challenge where both players walk away fine (excuse the commentator, if i recall correctly he changed his view of the tackle having seen the replay later).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't watch early season MLS ... its terrible, the poor passing, all the space, brutal refs.
    After watching premiership footy all winter its really tough to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man the west is starting strong this year. While I know it's early the first place team in the east would only be tied for third in the west and the second place team in the east would be tied for 8th in the west. It would be nice if the Cup came back east moer than once a decade (and I know of a certain lakeside stadium where it would look good).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Man the west is starting strong this year. While I know it's early the first place team in the east would only be tied for third in the west and the second place team in the east would be tied for 8th in the west. It would be nice if the Cup came back east moer than once a decade (and I know of a certain lakeside stadium where it would look good).
    I hate to say it, but the best team in the East so far is Montreal. They look real good, despite their record. Should be interesting how they can play when Drogba comes back.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Exactly. It isn't even a foul, unlike the tackle from behind in the Orlando game posted a few posts ago by Yohan. If this Laba tackle is a red, it's a totally new, and wrong in my view, interpretation of the rules of the game.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-04-2016 at 03:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Exactly. It isn't even a foul, unlike the tackle from behind in the Orlando game posted a few posts ago by Yohan. If this Laba tackle is a red, it's a totally new, and wrong in my view, interpretation of the rules of the game.
    http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...isconduct.aspx

• Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

FIFA Laws of the Game 2015-16

Direct free kick
    A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent

Doesn't say anything about whether the player gets the ball first or not.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a yellow at best. His foot is on the ground, hardly an "ankle breaker" as described.

The best part is, from that angle you can see him slide in, practically no movement in Magee's ankle and he starts flopping while holding his opposite leg. What a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't say anything about whether the player gets the ball first or not.
    Sorry Yohan, but this is the most tired line in this whole discussion that always pops up around controversial decisions and it always grinds my gears. Yes, the Laws of the Game don't mention getting to the ball first, but that's because they are purposefully written to be simple, brief, and vague, so as to imbue the referee with the authority to use his judgment and common sense in decision-making. I hate when people quote the LotG for stuff like this - as if we're all going to sit here and pretend getting contact with the ball is not one of the first things a referee or we as fans do when judging a tackle. Typically refs will look for contact with the ball and then judge whether the player used excessive force after or while he got the ball. That's how the game is actually officiated, regardless of what the laws say.

As opposed to many other sports, FIFA's rules for the playing of the game are there to support the referee as he controls the game using his judgment, rather than for the referee to fall back on to spot infringements. A quick look at the NHL rulebook compared to the LotG illustrates this pretty well. There's nearly 100 pages describing every conceivable foul, and they actually go out of their way to identify cases where refs should make particular use of judgment (like the description for the Boarding penalty).

Besides, try to find the word "studs" anywhere in the LotG and you'll come up empty, yet PRO is now employing a blanket interpretation that requires a straight red for any contact with them, so we may as well throw the LotG out the window at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...ce-mls-history

It seems that according to stats, red cards are slightly up from last season with same number of games played, but not terribly so.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So most want to defend the first to the ball but not talk about what a shit move it was? Sure I don't love Laba since he's gone but I can admit how well he's done in the last season with Van.

That move - not great. Lost track of the ball (or its proximity to Magee) and goes in with 2 feet to move it away. I'd not give him red for it but it was a reckless move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When just over 1/3 of games are having someone being red carded, you have a problem. The EPL, which is considered are rough league, has had their all time high of red cards this year, and that was only 1/5 of games with a red card. Will Johnson put it perfectly. If all these tackles are endangering the safety of the opponent, then why are 95 percent of these, guys flopping on the ground and are back in the game right after the restarting whistle? It isn't football when the refs decide games like this. As a hockey referee, I feel that they they don't understand how to control the tempo of the game and get lost in the heat of the moment shit. Refs shouldn't be the talking point of every damn game, but the problem is, PRO wants them calling these tackles like this. Not saying all of them didn't deserve reds but come on, 16 reds in 42 games? That's a fucken joke