Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fixation on "studs up" is ridiculous. There are so many other aspects of a tackle that can lead to endangering the opponent, or not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-07-2016 at 03:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    According to what? According to who? Him?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there we have it. MLS stands alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This goes completely against the spirit of the Laws of the Game, which as I wrote in another post are purposefully written in such a way that referees are given the authority to enforce the rules according to their common sense and the context of the game. "No leeway". That's how you get straight reds for completely harmless tackles like Felipe's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE OtD's post above, and "Peter Walton on RC criteria." What is massively missing from Walton's criteria (unless Walton was not fully quoted): the relative direction of movement of the two players at the time of the challenge. A "traditional" slide tackle often comes from the side, from an opponent who's running more or less in the same direction as the ball carrier. Sure these challenges can also be dangerous, but obviously if there's contact or collision, the force & danger will be much less, since the players are moving generally in the same direction -- compared with a frontal tackle.

Funny that MLS wants to teach the rest of the world how they should be officiating games?!

Is this red-card crackdown based on any kind of analysis of injury risk?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha. Like this is some kind of principled stand.

Ask yourself: why would MLS want to take judgment and discretion out?

(Hint: which costs more to develop and pay? officials who can exercise judgment and discretion, or those who don't need that experience or skill set?)

I hope they enjoy their TV ratings. I am someone who watches more soccer, but less MLS, as time goes on. 5 years ago I always picked a non-TFC MLS game over a Euro game, today, most likely not. There is really nothing better than Champions League in HD on a 55 inch set. There must be others like me.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-07-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is frankly an incredibly embarrassing stand from MLS. I hope this get's so out of control that they have to walk this back, but they don't usually back down on shit like this. It's hard to say where this goes from here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Parsing through it all it seems the events of 2011 scared MLS management to the point where they said "go fix it." They brought in people who believe statistical analysis of fouls can be applied to refereeing.

We seem to be in an American exceptionalism state now. Its all very City on a Hill ish.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Because like much of the American sports world, they believe that statistical analysis can solve anything. Remember where most of these guys running this league come from - the NFL or large corporate wealth. These guys, and its pretty much all men, firmly believe that there are formulaes for anything.

Flow and discretion is not as important as being correct.

Note how they think they know the amount of red cards that should be happening in a game based on what behaviour warrants a red and asking refs to get to that point. No discussion of in game variables - decisions are in a vaccuum based on the tackle You are either within the law or not. And that they believe that they are applying the law correctly while the rest of the world isn't just feeds into the American exceptionalism that deep down most US sports and business potentates believe.

MLS is a city on a hill.

Somebody (probably Walton and a few others) have sold them on being able to create a good league by applying quantitative analysis. What they are not getting is the amount of variables involved in a single soccer match, which is always judged on the micro level.

They should be applying complex systems theory but US sports management doesn't like to believe in that - it doesn't provide for good powerpoint presentations or for doable and attainable goal manipulation.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-07-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Hint: which costs more to develop and pay? officials who can exercise judgment and discretion, or those who don't need that experience or skill set?)

I hope they enjoy their TV ratings. I am someone who watches more soccer, but less MLS, as time goes on. 5 years ago I always picked a non-TFC MLS game over a Euro game, today, most likely not. There is really nothing better than Champions League in HD on a 55 inch set. There must be others like me.
    I've made no secret of the fact that I've traditionally watched every game, every week for nine years. This is the first year where I have little desire to watch anything other than TFC, and even that will start flagging if this shit continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    That is frankly an incredibly embarrassing stand from MLS. I hope this get's so out of control that they have to walk this back, but they don't usually back down on shit like this. It's hard to say where this goes from here.
    At a time when NASL is threatening to sue for Div. 1 status. If foreign money keeps sinking bucks into that league and it allows proper play, it won't necessarily make NASL a hit, but it could draw enough away from MLS to make it a money pit. It's already a league that, from the way clubs report financially, is obviously a corporate writedown machine for American franchises. But we don't necessarily have those advantages here; here, it's supposed to be part of a "package" of top teams MLSE offers. Not much chance of that if we finish every game down to 10 fucking men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Hint: which costs more to develop and pay? officials who can exercise judgment and discretion, or those who don't need that experience or skill set?).
    I've already been thinking, PRO and MLS have probably gotten so tired of all the (deserved) criticism of their referees. If you have a bunch of terrible refs, moving to a no judgment necessary interpretation of the rules starts to look like a really appealing solution. Suddenly the refs aren't bad, they're just carrying out orders from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    That's what I want to see. It's laughable that they justify this by going back 5 years to three bad tackles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well this proves soccer is a religion and we now have an american interpretation of soccer's bible.

Soon Refs will be able to hand out multiple red cards at a time to the same player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano