Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Laba just got red carded on a BS call too. Referees are deciding this league. Very poor.

Devos is going ballistic. More reds to come I figure.
    Of course he's going ballistic.

The red is to one of his favourite players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    tired of all the excuses for this club.they are a 500 club at best this year..they would of been in last place last year if not for GIO,if you would of told me at the end of last season that lovitz and mo would be our starting wingers i would of had a crap.no balance on this team.
    I agree with this, the winger rotation right now is not great, unless you think Babouli or Chapman are going to become impact players in a hurry. No one besides Gio or Altidore ever seem like threats to score.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    I agree with this, the winger rotation right now is not great, unless you think Babouli or Chapman are going to become impact players in a hurry. No one besides Gio or Altidore ever seem like threats to score.
    Chapman has played about 20 minutes but in this league, you need to develop youth or you won't succeed long term - and youth can't get better if they don't play. Every team but TFC before this season brings in youth along with veterans. We are just not used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The referee knew he screwed up with the red although he showered tfc in the 2nd half with gifted calls. Too bad they couldn't take advantage.

I would really like to know why Perquis was subbed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    The referee knew he screwed up with the red although he showered tfc in the 2nd half with gifted calls. Too bad they couldn't take advantage.

We switched to a 3-4-2, had to sacrifice a CB to get another player on up the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was on a yellow, in addition to the tactical change. One frenchman being sent off was enough. Too much actually.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-02-2016 at 11:25 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest problem with the red card regime that seems to have been insituted is that it makes for crappy soccer.

I go and watch games because I enjoy the cut and thrust of two teams trying to beat each other.

I am not interested in the mishmash that happens when one team suddenly has to adapt to having more space and the other team has to adapt to having less players. It is almost never good football.

I get the laws of the game have to be maintained and that red cards and second yellows will happen. I am deeply troubled though by a league that has gotten to the point where a red is expected. The players are not playing significantly differently. The refs have made an adjustment that these players are finding difficult to adjust too.

I do not want to talk about refs after games. And, if this continues into the summer, the league will become a joke and fans will leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I get the laws of the game have to be maintained and that red cards and second yellows will happen. I am deeply troubled though by a league that has gotten to the point where a red is expected. The players are not playing significantly differently. The refs have made an adjustment that these players are finding difficult to adjust too.

I do not want to talk about refs after games. And, if this continues into the summer, the league will become a joke and fans will leave.
    What bugs me is there's zero indication that PRO or MLS have informed clubs of this new standard of refereeing. I think it's garbage, but if this is how they're going to ref the game, why are all these cards coming as a surprise to every manager and player? When the NHL cracked down on clutching and grabbing after the lockout, there was no surprise, everyone was made aware of the changes. You'd think someone would have informed the teams of a fundamental shift in how tackles are going to be judged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    What bugs me is there's zero indication that PRO or MLS have informed clubs of this new standard of refereeing. I think it's garbage, but if this is how they're going to ref the game, why are all these cards coming as a surprise to every manager and player? When the NHL cracked down on clutching and grabbing after the lockout, there was no surprise, everyone was made aware of the changes. You'd think someone would have informed the teams of a fundamental shift in how tackles are going to be judged.
    14 red cards through 34 games so far, or something like that. It's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was on a yellow, in addition to the tactical change. One frenchmanbeing sent off was enough. Too much actually.
    It would have made more sense to sub off Morrow. Perquis was having a great game whereas Morrow was doing very little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have made more sense to sub off Morrow. Perquis was having a great game whereas Morrow was doing very little.
    Could have been because of when he went down due to the head collision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed that Morrow was not doing much, in fact he has had a poor season so far. But Perquis was on a yellow, the refereeing is unpredictable to say the least, and he has a history of a temper. Plus in going to three at the back in a situation where you neede a goal normally you would keep the outside defenders. Can't really criticise Vanney for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think vanney did fine today. The lovitz start maybe can be questioned cause he has yet to show any consistency in his crosses but other than that, some good subs and tactical changes. Just a shame about the red ruining the game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    the teams were told at the beginning of the season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the number of reds seems to be having a negative effect on the quality of the matches. It's not clear to me that the refs are the problem though. Tonight - both of Cheroux's fouls were bookable.. and Laba's for Vanc was a studs up tack that could have easily been an ankle breaker. It's frustrating to watch - but it would be worse to see a pile of injuries take place.

Overall - I think TFC have the strongest team that they have ever put together. We are lacking depth in the striking positions and wingers - but that is about the only complaints from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    tired of all the excuses for this club.they are a 500 club at best this year..they would of been in last place last year if not for GIO,if you would of told me at the end of last season that lovitz and mo would be our starting wingers i would of had a crap.no balance on this team.
    4 games in and not even the home opener.

Calm down

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I agree that the number of reds seems to be having a negative effect on the quality of the matches. It's not clear to me that the refs are the problem though. Tonight - both of Cheroux's fouls were bookable.. and Laba's for Vanc was a studs up tack that could have easily been an ankle breaker. It's frustrating to watch - but it would be worse to see a pile of injuries take place.
    Best defenders rarely have to use desperate slide tackle to win the ball. They rely on footy IQ. Positioning. Anticipation. Reading of the game.

MLS defenders have gotten away with athleticism, IE slide tackling, to make up for their short falls otherwise. And the refs for the long time has let them get away with some gruesome tackles that has caused some serious injuries.

Now PRO is trying to put a stop to these tackles. Hence so many reds right now. Either the players wise up and stop it with the studs up challenges, or keep getting ejected from the game. If the players can't figure out that any lunging tackles with any hint of studs up is going to get you a red card, then they aren't very smart.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Now PRO is trying to put a stop to these tackles. Hence so many reds right now. Either the players wise up and stop it with the studs up challenges, or keep getting ejected from the game. If the players can't figure out that any lunging tackles with any hint of studs up is going to get you a red card, then they aren't very smart.
    I see tackles like that around the world called as fouls but not cards. I think Johnson has it right. Players are not being injured by these tackles. This is not excessive force.

Players in all leagues with any amount of speed lunge into tackles with a hint of studs up. This league decided this year to give cards for those infractions by labelling them excessive force. The interpretation of the rule is based on the words "excessive force", not lunging.

The other issue here is we have now seen at least 2 instances where refs have changed their minds from a foul to a yellow or a yellow to a straight red based on interactions with players and coaches.

And, I think this tweet applies as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only saw the highlights of this game, but looking at those tweets, our players have to stop fixating on the refs.

I did watch the Clasico yesterday, and Real Madrid won the game down a man, having just been royally screwed on a call that denied them an obvious goal. That call was worse than anything done to anyone in MLS yesterday.

You have to just keep going.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-03-2016 at 07:47 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I only saw the highlights of this game, but looking at those tweets, our players have to stop fixating on the refs.

I did watch the Clasico yesterday, and Real Madrid won the game down a man, having just been royally screwed on a call that denied them an obvious goal. That call was worse than anything done to anyone in MLS yesterday.

You have to just keep going.
    To be fair to the team, they did just get on with it and were on the front foot for much of the game. There other criticisms: back four was a bit static, Morrow was poor, Bradley looked a bit off the pace - but the team didn't hang around and sulk, they got on with it and played. A US based reporter commented on Twitter how odd it was to see Colorado delaying the game when they were up a man. That must mean we were doing something right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^In that case, I withdraw the comment. That is what you want to see.

The reffing is the only thing being discussed postgame, that is for sure!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the refereeing, Cheyrous second yellow isn't even a foul, although they sometimes get given. Happens all the time as its a natural motion to have you arms out when you jump up. In the case of Laba, if that is a card, let alone a red, then really the rule is no slide tackles. He pulled up, his foot was on the ground, not several inches above it ( which is the true ankle breaker) and the two of them arrived at the same time contesting a fifty fifty ball. Plus the LA guy faked injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^In that case, I withdraw the comment. That is what you want to see.

The reffing is the only thing being discussed postgame, that is for sure!
    yet again....

some of us stayed up and watched Vancouver and Labas sending off added fuel to an already hot fire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    4 games in and not even the home opener.

Calm down
    so far:
    mls east division 24 away games played 23 points gotten from away team 1ppg average
    mls west division 17 away games played 16 points gotten from away team 1 ppg average

tfc 4 away games 4 points they're doing as expected, nothing to panic about
    they actually could have more points if not for refereeing

basically it works out to this: if you are a slightly above average team you will average 1 point every away game and 2 points every home game
    Last edited by stevep; 04-03-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    so far:
    mls east division 24 away games played 23 points gotten from away team 1ppg average
    mls west division 17 away games played 16 points gotten from away team 1 ppg average

tfc 4 away games 4 points they're doing as expected, nothing to panic about
    they actually could have more points if not for refereeing

basically it works out to this: if you are a slightly above average team you will average 1 point every away game and 2 points every home game
    And if you add the point a game the referees have cost us.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a positive note, Will Johnson ran his ass off. Very impressive considering it was his 3rd game this week and 2nd at high altitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the case of Laba, if that is a card, let alone a red, then really the rule is no slide tackles. He pulled up, his foot was on the ground, not several inches above it ( which is the true ankle breaker) and the two of them arrived at the same time contesting a fifty fifty ball. Plus the LA guy faked injury.
    This is why I don't like the direction the officiating is going in. On the Laba play, he had the ball and it slipped away from him on the dribble so he went down almost as if to clear it. It wasn't like he was even going in for a tackle. Last season and in most other leagues this wouldn't warrant a card at all. Meanwhile both LA CBs picked up yellows for cheap 'professional' fouls in the same half as the red that were not contested whatsoever and they'll continue all season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I see tackles like that around the world called as fouls but not cards. I think Johnson has it right. Players are not being injured by these tackles. This is not excessive force.

Players in all leagues with any amount of speed lunge into tackles with a hint of studs up. This league decided this year to give cards for those infractions by labelling them excessive force. The interpretation of the rule is based on the words "excessive force", not lunging.

The other issue here is we have now seen at least 2 instances where refs have changed their minds from a foul to a yellow or a yellow to a straight red based on interactions with players and coaches.

And, I think this tweet applies as well

so it's an excessive force tackle only if a player gets injured? just because a player didn't get injured, it doesn't mean it wasn't an excessive force tackle. only takes one bad tackle like Brian Mullan on Steve Zakuani to end a career
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    so it's an excessive force tackle only if a player gets injured? just because a player didn't get injured, it doesn't mean it wasn't an excessive force tackle. only takes one bad tackle like Brian Mullan on Steve Zakuani to end a career
    no one has said that at all. What people have said were things like, Laba's tackle was not a foul, certainly not a red card because his foot was on the ground, it was a fifty fifty ball, and he started to pull out of it when he saw that the collision was about to happen. The fact that the LA player faked an injury to fool the referee supports the point that it wasn't a foul. Conversley, if he was hurt, it doesn't mean it was a foul.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.