Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People tend to forget that Toronto got 18k against Panama in last WCQ cycle with zero advertising for the game and the game being on a weekday night. 95 percent of it was Canadian. It was basically identical with Vancouver's against Honduras minus the away supporters. Had this game been at BMO, I have no doubts that the game would have been sold out. Now the question would have been, would it have been pro canadian. I think it probably would have been 50/50 being unbiased, which is why i'm ok with THIS game being played there, plus the turf factor. The decider vs El Salvador shouldn't be decided because of the 50k in Vancouver, cause it would of gotten that here. All i know is, i'd rather play El Salvador on grass, because I believe we will dictate the game against them on an ACTUAL pitch (down there was a joke for a field), especially if we need a win in the last game!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Using "us" is the wrong way to look at it. There are the people on this board and the like who will likely be out rain or shine. Separately, there's everybody else you need to fill up the stadium who haven't shown up in enough numbers.

Maybe you can blame it on a market that's more catered to soccer wise but not novelty, not big games, or whatever has lead to the equivalent attendance Van is generating.
    I know the difference, roller blader, really I do, but this is where it starts and it burns me to see people disengage from ownership on this team and this city.

I refuse to take only the blame or credit for Toronto's hosting but I'll be damned to pass it off on "the rest". I think it's divisive and will keep on doing as much as I can to bring that team back. I hope more of "us" here can look at what we do with a little pride and help make the next game here even better.

Happy for Vancouver but I'll never say they should have it over Toronto.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously man, wood for the trees. Im considered by some to be a pro-Ontario anti-XYZ province troll and even i begrudgingly feel this helps our Toronto program. A lively soccer culture across Canada makes our soccer project here more sustainable and adds energy across the country for a 2026 wc bid. Give the colonies some scraps so we may grow fat in due course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i wouldnt be shocked if there are 15 to 20k Mexicans at the game friday night.
    doubt that.
    my brother on the west coast says its mostly locals buying all the tix. There is nothing going on right now with Canucks in almost last place, so this game filled a empty hole in the sports market.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    doubt that.
    my brother on the west coast says its mostly locals buying all the tix. There is nothing going on right now with Canucks in almost last place, so this game filled a empty hole in the sports market.
    Doubt all you want. There is a Mexico march planned in the thousands. I wish Vancouver luck.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Seriously man, wood for the trees. Im considered by some to be a pro-Ontario anti-XYZ province troll and even i begrudgingly feel this helps our Toronto program. A lively soccer culture across Canada makes our soccer project here more sustainable and adds energy across the country for a 2026 wc bid. Give the colonies some scraps so we may grow fat in due course
    I suppose if one uses it as a kick in the pants to Toronto to show we deserve it back? I'll use it for ammo but that's a long way from saying they deserve it and it shouldn't be here. That's ridiculous and that's what some are saying.

And I can't understand your logic here. Being Pro Toronto for hosting IS what makes the "soccer culture lively". If no one cared if Canada played elsewhere that's not very lively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I know the difference, roller blader, really I do, but this is where it starts and it burns me to see people disengage from ownership on this team and this city.

I refuse to take only the blame or credit for Toronto's hosting but I'll be damned to pass it off on "the rest". I think it's divisive and will keep on doing as much as I can to bring that team back. I hope more of "us" here can look at what we do with a little pride and help make the next game here even better.

Always admire the way you put on for our city, and how you wear the maple leaf on your sleeve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's room for both. The national team should be truly national in scope.

If they can keep things on the 20k+ mark that is a true game changer for soccer in this country. We start making money on friendlies the sky is the limit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's room for both. The national team should be truly national in scope.

If they can keep things on the 20k+ mark that is a true game changer for soccer in this country. We start making money on friendlies the sky is the limit.
    Although I disagree, well said and respect. What is my most important take away is that you believe in the long haul and aren't expecting to see what we want to see happen over night.

Keep on skatin', Ags

Has anyone in here said DeGuz is getting recognized before the match for his record caps yet? Don't know if that's official or official knowledge but I wanted it out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I disagree, well said and respect. What is my most important take away is that you believe in the long haul and aren't expecting to see what we want to see happen over night.

Keep on skatin', Ags

Has anyone in here said DeGuz is getting recognized before the match for his record caps yet? Don't know if that's official or official knowledge but I wanted it out there.
    Not sure if anyone in here has but i believe the CSA tweeted that out. Hopefully the march is done and all the V's are in stadium for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theyre leaving at 545. Should be able to make it there in time.

Which in true Vees fashion, someone idiot will leave at 535 and there will be 2 marches.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mexico vs Canada can get 40K for a friendly up here, one would happen every couple of years. It wouldn't though. I suspect that game could fill BMO, Vancouver's soccer setup and Saputo on a rotating basis. But, Mexico makes more money playing the US in Texas in front of 50 000.

If the Caribbean loses it stranglehold on CONCACAF, I suspect we will see more exhibition games played in Canada.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW.

I hope to see all of you up at Scallywags this Friday!

Please join and invite friends to the facebook event.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Which in true Vees fashion, someone idiot will leave at 535 and there will be 2 marches.
    If in true Vees fashion, some will take the bar clearing out at 5:45 as a chance to get another beer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    If in true Vees fashion, some will take the bar clearing out at 5:45 as a chance to get another beer.
    Yes, that too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be over 54k and sold out at BC Place

Go to a viewing party!

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Going to be over 54k and sold out at BC Place

Go to a viewing party!

FYI believe Hamilton will be at BP on main street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Vancouver is going to get a sellout or close to a sellout of 55 000 for the Canada vs. Mexico World Cup qualifier, if Canada makes it to the next and final round does BMO host a game say versus say Mexico or the U.S. and also bring in the temporary seating like it will for the Grey Cup and outdoor hockey to bring the capacity to 40 000 , I mean it would be the final round of qualifying where your one step away from the World Cup. I mean if Vancouver can get 55 000 for this round of qualifying shouldn't Toronto being able to get 40 000 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wont be home for this game, is there an online stream where i can watch it, preferrably with commentary?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You da man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guesses on starters for tonights match?

---------------------Larin-----------------
    --Hoilett--------Arfield-------Johnson---
    ---------JDG----------Hutchinson--------
    De Jong---Edgar---Henry---Ledgerwood
    ---------------Borjan----------------------

Alternatively:
    --------------------Larin-----------------
    --Hoilett--------Arfield-------Akindele---
    ---------JDG----------Johnson--------
    De Jong---Edgar---Henry---Hutchinson
    ---------------Borjan----------------------

Big questions:
    - who partners with Edgar?
    - How do we manage the fullback position where do don't have many good options?
    - Is Larin healthy? pray that he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guesses on starters for tonights match?
    I see this:

-------------------Larin------------------
    Hoilett----Hutchinson---Johnson----Arfield
    -------------------JDG-------------------
    De Jong----Edgar-----Jakovic---Ledgerwood
    ------------------Borjan-------------------

That midfield 3 of Atiba-Johnson-JDG will be sitting very deep for the most part, playing wide to Hoilett and Arfield to burn down the wings and get the ball up to Larin for counter-attacks. Larin should be fine, he had an illness of some sort last week but haven't heard anything since so he should be 100%. Edgar-Henry would be my preferred CB pairing but I have a feeling Floro doesn't trust Henry enough for a match this big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think you're probably closer than i am. I've seen them use 4-2-3-1 on occasion but you're right they've primarily lined up in a 4-1-4-1.

I wouldn't discount Vitoria either at the CB spot. He might be useful back there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So Vancouver is going to get a sellout or close to a sellout of 55 000 for the Canada vs. Mexico World Cup qualifier, if Canada makes it to the next and final round does BMO host a game say versus say Mexico or the U.S. and also bring in the temporary seating like it will for the Grey Cup and outdoor hockey to bring the capacity to 40 000 , I mean it would be the final round of qualifying where your one step away from the World Cup. I mean if Vancouver can get 55 000 for this round of qualifying shouldn't Toronto being able to get 40 000 ?
    Ya let's get through game day then decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I see this:

-------------------Larin------------------
    Hoilett----Hutchinson---Johnson----Arfield
    -------------------JDG-------------------
    De Jong----Edgar-----Jakovic---Ledgerwood
    ------------------Borjan-------------------

That midfield 3 of Atiba-Johnson-JDG will be sitting very deep for the most part, playing wide to Hoilett and Arfield to burn down the wings and get the ball up to Larin for counter-attacks. Larin should be fine, he had an illness of some sort last week but haven't heard anything since so he should be 100%. Edgar-Henry would be my preferred CB pairing but I have a feeling Floro doesn't trust Henry enough for a match this big.
    Agreed. This is pretty much right there.

Weaknesses on the right side of defense. Canada needs a better option at RB than Ledgerwood

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Agreed. This is pretty much right there.

Weaknesses on the right side of defense. Canada needs a better option at RB than Ledgerwood
    Floro exercises his inner Klinssman by playing Henry there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this lineup by Floro? Absolutely bizarre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets go for the nil nil win Floro..what a joke.hope im wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borjan, de Guzman, Jakovic, Johnson, Hoilett, Ricketts, Henry, Hutchinson, Straith, de Jong, Larin

wtf is this? Is Henry playing RB with Straith at CB? Fucking Ricketts instead of Arfield? Jesus christ

edit: https://twitter.com/jasondevos/statu...33449580056577

Why on god's green earth would you play Henry as a RB... and isn't Edgar healthy?
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-25-2016 at 08:33 PM.