16- M- Scott Arfield | ENG / Burnley FC
    17- FB- Marcel De Jong | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
    18- GK- Milan Borjan | BUL / PFK Ludogorets Razgrad
    19- CB- Steven Vitória | POR / Benfica
    20- FB / CB- Karl W. Ouimette | USA / New York Red Bulls
    21- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
    22- GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK Fotbol
    23- W- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-18-2016 at 02:15 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Osorio again

CMNT picked up Scott Arfield
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its gonna be exciting watching these guns next Friday.... and all swagged out in our new kits!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing. Osorio left out again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure who you'd take out for Osorio based on the game Osorio showed last season. Its not like they called up Bekker. Even at the outsides, Hume and Ricketts are both nailed onto the Floro perch - he ain't moving them.

That having been said, if Osorio keeps up his play from the last 2 games, he'll be in that squad for any fall games. His defensive work has been much better this season and he hasn't run out of gas. The CMNT should be hard to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, with Arfield now in the mix, who do you take out for Osorio? I'd argue maybe Akindele but there's not much else in the winger/mid position to question. Now if Bekker was in again instead of Osorio, then maybe it would be more of a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol OG, beat me to it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure who you'd take out for Osorio based on the game Osorio showed last season. Its not like they called up Bekker. Even at the outsides, Hume and Ricketts are both nailed onto the Floro perch - he ain't moving them.

That having been said, if Osorio keeps up his play from the last 2 games, he'll be in that squad for any fall games. His defensive work has been much better this season and he hasn't run out of gas. The CMNT should be hard to make.
    Piette or JDG

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to believe Tosaint Ricketts provides anything of value. He is like a slower, less-skilled Dominic Oduro. Yes he's a forward but all else equal we should call useful players. De Guzman has long since lost his legs and Piette is a speculative prospect, not game ready IMO.

Osorio isn't omitted on merit, he's omitted because he showed up the coach in prior games. Full stop. They have actually called Bekker since then over him, it's a joke.

We'll see how much longer Floro can hide behind his facade... The team hasn't been much in the result department.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-18-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I refuse to believe Tosaint Ricketts provides anything of value. He is like a slower, less-skilled Dominic Oduro. Yes he's a forward but all else equal we should call useful players. De Guzman has long since lost his legs and Piette is a speculative prospect, not game ready IMO.
    ?? Not sure if you've watched the last two rounds of qualifying? Ricketts did score four goals in the second and third rounds. Granted they were poor teams, but without his goals we'd have beaten Belize 1-0 at home lol. If he's slower than Oduro I doubt it's by that much IIRC he was a pretty good track athlete before focusing on soccer. I'm not his #1 fan, but to say he doesn't provide any value I think is a stretch. Piette is not a speculative prospect, by all accounts he was capable of playing for the first team at Fortuna Dusseldorf but the coach thought he should go back to the second team for another year and Piette was looking to sign a senior team contract. Added, I doubt Depor would waste their time on a speculative prospect when they have players already in their system. He was integral for their B side last year, so I would be surprised if he is not in their future plans.

I'm not saying Osorio should not be called, but truthfully I don't see him cracking the starting XI for these games so at this stage of his career, and age, I'm fine with him to keep getting the starting minutes at TFC instead.
    Last edited by spark; 03-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're about to play 180 minutes of 11-men-behind-the-ball bunkering soccer, I'm fine with Osorio not getting a call for these two games. Not that he couldn't be in the team, but it does make... some... sense.

We're going to bunker and counter with speed on the wings (Hoilett, Arfield, Akindele and Ricketts). With that gameplan in mind, there's no obvious role for Osorio. That doesn't make his past omissions any more logical though. Bekker should never be in the team, Bustos getting a call ahead of him, etc... nor do you need like 7 DMs to beat Belize in a tie. Floro needs to bury the hatchet and show a little more ambition when we're playing lesser teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over 46000 tix sold for Canada vs Mexico game at Vancouver.

I think toronto has lost its spot as home of cmnt

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Vancouver won that role fair and square, hats off to them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup Vancouver has done an amazing job with tickets to this game, in Toronto this game would be lucky to get 16000 . On Osorio , he should be there, I don't get what coaches and people see in Piette, I've seen enough of him over the years even with the various Canadian age group national teams and he never impressed me with those teams, just don't see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    ?? Not sure if you've watched the last two rounds of qualifying? Ricketts did score four goals in the second and third rounds. Granted they were poor teams, but without his goals we'd have beaten Belize 1-0 at home lol. If he's slower than Oduro I doubt it's by that much IIRC he was a pretty good track athlete before focusing on soccer. I'm not his #1 fan, but to say he doesn't provide any value I think is a stretch. Piette is not a speculative prospect, by all accounts he was capable of playing for the first team at Fortuna Dusseldorf but the coach thought he should go back to the second team for another year and Piette was looking to sign a senior team contract. Added, I doubt Depor would waste their time on a speculative prospect when they have players already in their system. He was integral for their B side last year, so I would be surprised if he is not in their future plans.

I'm not saying Osorio should not be called, but truthfully I don't see him cracking the starting XI for these games so at this stage of his career, and age, I'm fine with him to keep getting the starting minutes at TFC instead.
    Well I agree he's likely not a first IX player for these games. But in the larger picture: he has some qualities most Canadian players don't, that's why I think he'd be useful on the squad.

Ricketts potting a few against weak teams is meaningless. He's ineffective against good teams - that's really what matters for qualification.

Piette's actual performance for the team vs. the pedigree is what makes him a prospect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piette or JDG
    But it's not like for like, this doesn't make sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldnt be shocked if there are 15 to 20k Mexicans at the game friday night.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio isn't omitted on merit, he's omitted because he showed up the coach in prior games. Full stop. They have actually called Bekker since then over him, it's a joke.

We'll see how much longer Floro can hide behind his facade... The team hasn't been much in the result department.
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post

Agreed, spark, I don't understand the comparison. Ricketts and Oduro were both scoring goals last year for country and club respectfully. Both have been game changers. Neither are what one builds a team around but useful pieces to a team.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was always a contention and an experiment to have a home stadium in a country so big. Sad but a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Vancouver won that role fair and square, hats off to them!
    For this one game? Sure. Against the team it's easiest to get a sellout.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Yup Vancouver has done an amazing job with tickets to this game, in Toronto this game would be lucky to get 16000 . On Osorio , he should be there, I don't get what coaches and people see in Piette, I've seen enough of him over the years even with the various Canadian age group national teams and he never impressed me with those teams, just don't see it.
    Bullshit. Mexico could bring 16k in any stadium in Canada. If you honestly believe BMO could not sellout against Mexico I suggest you get to some more games.

People have some incredibly short memories when talking this way. Vancouver was half full just months ago and we're ready to cede all games to them? Where's supporting your local?

I give them credit for the sellout and am glad there will be a decent crowd for next week but I'm shocked how people can within posts of each other

Laud Vancouver for a sellout

Be critical of our teams success for the lack of serious or quality competition

These things affect one another, folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver had what close to 20000 for the last game versus Honduras, do you honestly think we would have had 20000 for that game at BMO? During the WC Brazil qualifying BMO field did not come close to selling out in any of the games in Toronto during this same round that Canada is playing in now in Vancouver, I think BMO got around 16000 on average for all three home games played at BMO during the Brazil 2014 qualifying, already in two games of the same round that BMO hosted the last time around, they have beat that number quite easily it's not even close, please!
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 03-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, have to agree. Based on the numbers they've done a better job thus far.

We should be talking more about Arfield. This is a huge win for the team.

A few fence sitters latter plus Larin and this roster has gone from horrific to half decent. I may actually have hope for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone want to take a shot at the starting lineup?

-----------Larin
    Hoilett - Arfield - Akindele
    ----Hutchinson - Johnson
    De Jong - Vitoria - Edgar - Ouimette
    -------------Borjan

I have no idea but there are 6-7 no brainers which is a nice feeling. Guys that would or could start in a lot of good leagues. Larin, Hoilett, Arfield, Hutchinson, Johnson, Vitoria. I wonder if Arfield or Akindele could play a central attacking role? Maybe Akindele will likely be a super sub the same way he's used in Dallas.

Larin BTW is on fire. He has scored in every single game. He's looking like he will be a better player then Altidore. and i like Altidore!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG will start.

Guaranteed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Vancouver had what close to 20000 for the last game versus Honduras, do you honestly think we would have had 20000 for that game at BMO? During the WC Brazil qualifying BMO field did not come close to selling out in any of the games in Toronto during this same round that Canada is playing in now in Vancouver, I think BMO got around 16000 on average for all three home games played at BMO during the Brazil 2014 qualifying, already in two games of the same round that BMO hosted the last time around, they have beat that number quite easily it's not even close, please!
    20k and a half empty stadium is worth giving up hosting to you? No wonder.

The comparisons are irrelevant. Different rounds in different years with smaller teams.

They decide the men can play on plastic and Vancouver celebrates Mexico finally coming to town in an important game and its decided for some.

No fucking wonder.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, have to agree. Based on the numbers they've done a better job thus far.

We should be talking more about Arfield. This is a huge win for the team.

A few fence sitters latter plus Larin and this roster has gone from horrific to half decent. I may actually have hope for the future.
    Thus far, indeed. Let's not pretend this isn't a shiny new object for them. 20k against Honduras as their first game does not impress me. I don't know why we're falling over ourselves to wave on the team past our own backyard.

Like it has nothing to do with us.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG will start.

Guaranteed.
    Yes, The night is all about him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To FYR's point, Vancouver has had several things in their favor.

1) I have never seen so much marketing go into a World Cup Qualifier since I've started following the team.
    2) I have never seen as much skill and hype in the media about a Canadian team during WCQ.
    3) Honduras (after the 8-1 debacle) and Mexico are two solid draws; not to mention Dminica isn't
    4) Vancouver hasn't hosted a game in decade(s).
    5) Both games are on a Friday. One being a holiday on a long weekend.

I don't know anyone hating on Vancouver (and I LOVE to hate on Vancouver for sport), but let's acknowledge they got a great deal and lot of $$$ behind them. Or at least $$$ spent wisely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Thus far, indeed. Let's not pretend this isn't a shiny new object for them. 20k against Honduras as their first game does not impress me. I don't know why we're falling over ourselves to wave on the team past our own backyard.

Like it has nothing to do with us.
    Using "us" is the wrong way to look at it. There are the people on this board and the like who will likely be out rain or shine. Separately, there's everybody else you need to fill up the stadium who haven't shown up in enough numbers.

Maybe you can blame it on a market that's more catered to soccer wise but not novelty, not big games, or whatever has lead to the equivalent attendance Van is generating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also got the hype train of major commitments to drive sales.
    Also seams like the partnership between the voyageurs and the CSA has really taken off since the women's world cup.

Personally I want the game in set back here but with a potential jays run, 10,000 hockey events going on here I'm afraid it will get vastly overshadowed in the marketplace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio isn't omitted on merit, he's omitted because he showed up the coach in prior games. Full stop.
    This part is what stops me from completely losing my shit, especially without knowing any further details; could easily be more to this, with what we witnessed being it boiling over.

That said, if there really wasn't much more to it than him making a bit of a fuss when being substituted, then I really just don't know. I mean, don't you WANT your players DESPERATE to stay on the pitch?!

I suppose we'll never know, but it irks me, every time, to see Oso left out, if only for what a player with his skill-set represents, in a setup like ours.