Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Well in that case, it must be so.

Don't break your keyboard on my account. Heaven forbid someone sees a subjective call differently than you do though. But enough is enough, LOL, your asinine comment doesn't warrant further discussion.

I don't contend that there was no contact. I said originally that it likely is a foul in the modern game but I've always been of the opinion that this is a man's sport. The "push" itself was soft. From the replays I saw at least, the trip isn't 100% conclusive which is the standard of modern replay and the only way the subjective can become objective. Maybe other replays were conclusive but either way, I saw a lack of effort on Morrow's part which for me, overshadows the call. I mean, you see a dangerous play like that developing and you're strolling back ball watching? You don't deserve a call in that case. That whole play had MLS written all over it. I have no subjective reason to defend MLS officials, much less Toledo but it's the defenders' jobs to keep the ball out of the net more than it is the referees'.

As for the goal, Williams should not be biting on a shot with the goalkeeper already covering that ridiculously narrow angle when there was so much space to work with.
    I like Ives Galarcep and his blog Soccer By Ives. Well written, well read, well respected. He has no dog in this hunt and here's what his assessment of the incident was:

MOMENT OF THE MATCH
    Referee Baldomero Toledo’s decision not to whistle Brad Davis for a foul on Justin Morrow—despite pretty clear violation—allowed Davis to go on and score the game-winning goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think Gantar is worse but I don't think any of them are what I would call "good". Some are just worse than others.
    The guy we had last week, Alan Kelly, has been typically a class above since he came over from Ireland a couple years ago. Never understand why they didn't recruit another couple of those types from Europe to get a little more Reffing talent for high priority games. Having another 2-3 solid European refs in rotation could do a lot to increase the level and speed of play every weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    tough loss.....I thought TFC should've earned a point there.....no more, no less....

they do look like a much more organized team this year so that is good to see!....

thought Giovinco was just a wee bit selfish with the ball.....I remember one instance in particular around the middle of the second half where he did some nice work inside the box to make some space but was surrounded by 3-4 SKC defenders.....had Endoh wide open just to his left but tried an awkward shot instead and missed.....but beautiful vision just earlier to send Endoh in 1v1....the kid should've buried it.....

Babouli looked lively....good to see him get some action out there....
    I dont think Gio trusts endoh to finish them, infact I dont see much chemistry yet. he seemed to work much better with Mo though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I dont think Gio trusts endoh to finish them, infact I dont see much chemistry yet. he seemed to work much better with Mo though.
    except for that sick through ball by Giovinco to Endoh
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possibly, but hard to tell from Babouli's limited time out there.....though once Altidore is fully fit I expect that Endoh will see less of the field (or at least at the same time as Giovinco).....they seemed to play well together against RBNY, but not taking much from that.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbf, they did have that nice give and go in the second half where Seba played Endoh in one on one with Melia. Seba perfectly anticipated his run. They seemed like they knew what they were doing together.

Seba's reluctance to pass to people who aren't Jozy or Bradley is another matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Tbf, they did have that nice give and go in the second half where Seba played Endoh in one on one with Melia. Seba perfectly anticipated his run. They seemed like they knew what they were doing together.

Seba's reluctance to pass to people who aren't Jozy or Bradley is another matter.

he passes to Johnson. And Oso.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think Gantar is worse but I don't think any of them are what I would call "good". Some are just worse than others.
    Ganter makes a few more weird calls but Toledo has the flair for dramatic red cards and misses more. It's probably a matter of personal opinion of what type of crappy is worse. They are both terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    he passes to Johnson. And Oso.
    sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    except for that sick through ball by Giovinco to Endoh
    but that was all gionvinco, endoh just had to keep running

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but that was all gionvinco, endoh just had to keep running
    it takes 2 to tango

Endoh timed his run perfectly to ensure he was not offside
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh should have buried that shot on the break away. Beautiful gift wrapped ball from Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Endoh should have buried that shot on the break away. Beautiful gift wrapped ball from Giovinco.
    he didnt curl it, he didnt hit it low to ground or pick a corner, he pretty much hit it at the kepers hands.
    Im probably forgeting the jump in quality and speed from NCAA to MLS.

I think hes great and got tools, but why is he our our starter in 2016, why was gomez and moor let go with no replacement plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he didnt curl it, he didnt hit it low to ground or pick a corner, he pretty much hit it at the kepers hands.

I think hes great and got tools, but why is he our our starter in 2016, why was gomez and moor let go with no replacement plan
    A) cleared spots and possibly cap space for summer reinforcements. I'm willing to bet money we use our TAM on a guy who plays Endoh's spot.
    B) Let's the young guys get experience and minutes in low pressure situations.

It's a win-win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He tried to curl it around to the far post, just didn't execute. You can see him wrap his foot around it. From that spot the keeper has cut down most of the angle.

I agree he's not an ideal starter. If our offense is going to click we're going to need more than work rate on the outsides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    His run was angled against the backline to stay onside perfectly. That was actually Endoh's doing, Gio just had to hit a dead straight through ball. Endoh did blow the shot though, should've just tucked it in the corner low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    In my eyes, Morrow could have definitely stayed on his feet, in which case that goal never happens.
    I remember having a conversation with another soccer fan friend of mine during last world cup. It was about how it seems soccer players fall very easily. We both noticed that replays, though effective in determining whether or not contact is made, can make it appear like the player fell down easily. Think about it, you either have a replay shown at regular speed or in slow motion. The regular speed replay is always hard to tell if a foul has been committed because it happens too fast. The slow motion version can show where the contact is made, but the slower speed makes it look like a player falls down casually. When looking at the replays, people need to keep both in mind: slow motion for contact, real speed for context.

When I play, I know that when running, even at a moderate speed, the slightest perturbation would be enough to knock me over. So yes, it's not unexpected for someone to fall when one of their feet is stepped on. Morrow's feet were moving and he fell. Had he been standing in one spot (and not barged into), then yeah, I'd have agreed that he fell easily.
    Last edited by PAOK17; 03-21-2016 at 06:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admittedly , however Morrow 'went down' , the team seemed to have a brain cramp looking for the call but, ....I couldn't help thinking what if the play was reversed ? And Morrow did the same to Davis . Can't help thinking boom ...penalty !
    For me Toledo always ruins the flow of the game or is totally ignorant of trying to maintain any form of consistency . One always knows with him something totally shocking can happen .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Admittedly , however Morrow 'went down' , the team seemed to have a brain cramp looking for the call but, ....I couldn't help thinking what if the play was reversed ? And Morrow did the same to Davis . Can't help thinking boom ...penalty !
    For me Toledo always ruins the flow of the game or is totally ignorant of trying to maintain any form of consistency . One always knows with him something totally shocking can happen .
    Agreed. I also noticed about Toledo that after he makes a ridiculous call, he attempts to somehow cancel it out by either giving the opposite team a bad call immediately after, or let the offending team get away with a foul. It seems to me that he thinks 2 bad calls cancel each other out..,

edit: check out the Seattle vs Vancouver highlights. Geiger will always Geiger

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Admittedly , however Morrow 'went down' , the team seemed to have a brain cramp looking for the call ...
    I keep seeing that idea floated out and its just not true. Note the screenshot below - specifically, note the line of defenders and the DM racing in.

The theory that TFC didn't react after the foul and that caused the goal needs to be put to bed.

The only people having a brain cramp were supporters shocked at the no call.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-21-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Agreed. I also noticed about Toledo that after he makes a ridiculous call, he attempts to somehow cancel it out by either giving the opposite team a bad call immediately after, or let the offending team get away with a foul. It seems to me that he thinks 2 bad calls cancel each other out..,

edit: check out the Seattle vs Vancouver highlights. Geiger will always Geiger
    It's just the referee's admission of guilt. It's been a part of sports forever.

Make a shit call that could cost an outcome. Make a bunch of calls the other way to make it all look balanced on the final score sheet. Just leave it up to the victimized team to equalize the score with some make up calls and let them decide how it'll be.

It's a pathetic bit of sport but I suppose what else to do? Referee's will never be perfect, always mistakes will be had. At least he gave us some help to push back in the end, so be it. Would have been gut wrenching had he kept sticking it to us after that fuck up, but that gives us ammo to legitmately gripe. So that send off makes him escape as anyone can claim "well KC got a red card so it wasn't unfair!!!!"

Oh sports, never change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is definitely better positioning than I thought while watching it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the pic above actually helps the argument for our defenders slow reaction than it does to dispel it. Moor and Morrow are much too slow to put pressure on Davis. Moor makes a half hearted attempt to tackle him initially while Morrow doesn't sprint back quick enough. In the snap above all Morrow has to do is sprint back and let Moor show Davis the byeline. If he goes to cross it then moor blocks it for a corner, Iriwn has front post covered for any shot, and if Davis checks back then Morrow is there to block him also. Even if he did pull out a wonder trick and was able to get to byeline and cross we've 3 defenders marking 1 striker. Moor should never let Davis cut inside like that, in fact he probably should have cut out the long ball in the first place. Btw I do agree it was a clear foul but as your told as kids "play to the whistle".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    .... Btw I do agree it was a clear foul but as your told as kids "play to the whistle".
    Uh, that picture pretty much proves they did play to the whistle.

The whole sequence took 3 seconds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^interesting analysis. Except moor didn't play

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, that picture pretty much proves they did play to the whistle.

The whole sequence took 3 seconds.

took longer than 3 secs, watch it back. Williams initial reaction is to raise his hands in the air, he was slow getting back probably thinking Morrow was going to win the ball and clear it, so his initial starting position wasn't great. His biggest issue was he was too straight with Davis, he didn't show him down the line as his positioning was poor. Re reaction from Morrow, I sympathise with him as he was fouled but there was no urgency upon getting back to his feet, he really could have made an attempt to sprint instead of jogging back.
    end of the day we've 4 defenders + keeper in our box against 2 strikers, collectively we should have done better, even Perquis at the end could have made a better attempt to block the shot.
    ref got it wrong, should have been a foul, but we need to react better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...but we need to react better.
    Disagree. Almost every single team in this league, that foul happens, all the defenders stop.

Ur criticizing micro movements in the 6 yard box (I stand by my 3 second thing BTW). Truth is we had coverage and Davis found a way through. That's soccer. But there was coverage and claiming they played to the whistle is false.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Disagree. Almost every single team in this league, that foul happens, all the defenders stop.

Ur criticizing micro movements in the 6 yard box (I stand by my 3 second thing BTW). Truth is we had coverage and Davis found a way through. That's soccer. But there was coverage and claiming they played to the whistle is false.
    exactly we had ample coverage. whether you agree or not with reaction times and you don't which is fair enough, we had enough coverage in the box to deal with it. As I said in my last post, williams positioning was poor, and imo Morrow was v slow to react. Davis ultimately ends up cutting inside towards where Morrow could have been had he sprinted.By the way where are you getting the 3 secs from, from the time Davis and morrow clash there is at least 10 secs.
    "Ur criticizing micro movements"- re Willams I am criticising basic defending, you don't stand straight facing Davis in that postion, you show him down the line, your keeper has the front post covered, his only option there is to shoot which ur keeper gets or try and cross which the defender blocks it.

anyway agree to disagree on this I guess....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the pic above actually helps the argument for our defenders slow reaction than it does to dispel it. Moor and Morrow are much too slow to put pressure on Davis. Moor makes a half hearted attempt to tackle him initially while Morrow doesn't sprint back quick enough. In the snap above all Morrow has to do is sprint back and let Moor show Davis the byeline. If he goes to cross it then moor blocks it for a corner, Iriwn has front post covered for any shot, and if Davis checks back then Morrow is there to block him also. Even if he did pull out a wonder trick and was able to get to byeline and cross we've 3 defenders marking 1 striker. Moor should never let Davis cut inside like that, in fact he probably should have cut out the long ball in the first place. Btw I do agree it was a clear foul but as your told as kids "play to the whistle".
    Moor wasn't on the field it was Williams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy that replaced Borg on Instant Replay said that the Davis foul on Morrow is a good non call (his logic is bizarre), this after saying Villa handball last week was also a good non call. How do we take this guy seriously. I know this guy is an MLS lackey, but geez.