Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Andrea Lombardo did so well, he earned himself a transfer to York University.
    where he is now working in the admissions office.

And Gabe Gala, his closest friend on the team, now works in real estate.

Those first couple years were pretty fucking insane looking back on it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings was a great player in his day but I wouldn't put him on there based on his form with TFC.

I was trying to think of a few other alternatives but struggled. Plata, Morrow, maybe Morgan?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-10-2016 at 04:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Pozniak does not belong in this category.

For this earworm alone, he gets off any list of anything involving TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda funny how this is turning into a "worst players" thread rather than "best players" (admittedly I think discussing the worst of the worst is a bit more fun). On that note, Andy Iro. Probably the worst CB I've ever seen. Obvious case of being promoted through the ranks just because of his size. No mind for the game, zero ball skills, and the agility of an oil tanker. And we traded Tchani to get him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, 10 most competent players?

In no order

Dichio, Koevs, Bradley, Seba, Osorio, Morrow, Moor, Irwin, Johnson, Guevera

Yeah, I picked 3 guys who've played 1 game with us - think about what that means to the efficacy of any list involving this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kind of shocked to not see Laba on this list, he is still by far the best defensive midfielder this club has ever had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Kinda funny how this is turning into a "worst players" thread rather than "best players" (admittedly I think discussing the worst of the worst is a bit more fun). On that note, Andy Iro. Probably the worst CB I've ever seen. Obvious case of being promoted through the ranks just because of his size. No mind for the game, zero ball skills, and the agility of an oil tanker. And we traded Tchani to get him.
    Diaz Cambere (if that counts). He was a 2008 one game signing from the whitecaps in the days of scattered MLS rosters.

From where I sat in the south stands he looked like a track star someone accidentally put a soccer ball in front of. He played RB, do not believe he completed a pass in his time on the field, was frequently out of position. Of course minimal training with your teammates doesn't help - but I got the feeling they could have pulled a few guys out of the stands that could play better.

In terms of more regular players that were awful? Adam Braz was pretty bad, Lombardo was in over his head, and Andy Welsh was resoundingly useless. I might have to go with Welsh given the amount of underserved opportunities he had to be on the field. It was like watching a limp wristed 14 year old get blown by on each end of the field and whiff crosses into the stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All time XI Before the 2015 season is

Frei
    Brennan
    Cann
    Henry
    Wynne
    Edu
    Frings
    De Guzman
    De Rosario
    Dichio
    Koevermans

Please give your opinion and say who you think should have made the list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    All time XI Before the 2015 season is

Frei
    Brennan
    Cann
    Henry
    Wynne
    Edu
    Frings
    De Guzman
    De Rosario
    Dichio
    Koevermans

switch Cann with Marshall, De Guzman with Robo. Otherwise I think that's pretty accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For this earworm alone, he gets off any list of anything involving TFC.

Holy shit this ad, I loved this ad

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    Are you looking for content for a blog or something?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the thing with "TFC top 10 players of first 10 seasons," as well as with "bottom 10" -- there are so many ways to define these things. Just a few ways:
    - Individual quality of play while at TFC?
    - Impact on play at TFC? E.g., someone who played longer at TFC, or who had memorable moments (positive or negative), will score higher this way. (Like Dichio with the first goal; or Ruiz with the Gatorade jug.)
    - Overall quality of a player throughout their career? (E.g., Frings; even Defoe.)
    - Performance at TFC relative to expectations or salary? (Why players like Defoe or Mista get downgraded.)

And of course it's a team sport. Our opinion of a players is coloured by the overall success (or general malaise) of the team while they were here. (Perhaps one reason Mo Edu didn't make anybody's list.)

BTW I would want Laba on a "top 10" list, but he only played 16 games for TFC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I don't know, I think a bottom ten might be even harder - though I'm sure we'll all agree on Cunningham and Garcia
    1. Conor Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
    2. Mo Johnston
    3. Earl Cochrane

THEY are the reason for the first 7 years of ineptitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khso11 View Post
    Kilian Elkinson

Geovanny Caicedo
    edit: ^beat me to it

How can anybody forget Elbekay Bouchiba as well.
    Yeah, that was a Winter special, if I recall. Like Elmer I don't think he ever actually played for us. They paid him to sit injured for a year, then released him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, that was a Winter special, if I recall. Like Elmer I don't think he ever actually played for us. They paid him to sit injured for a year, then released him.
    I wonder what was really going on behind the scenes back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im just gunna do a top 10 personal favourites (No active players):

1. De Rosario
    2. Brennan
    3. Guevara
    4. Kouvermans
    5. Frings
    6. Frei
    7. C. Robinson
    8. R. Johnson
    9. Plata
    10. Serioux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what was really going on behind the scenes back then.
    There have been a few telling signs that there are a lot of side deals and side money exchanging hands in MLS; during the whole Phil. Union lawsuit against Nowak, it was mentioned that Shep Messing, the former keeper and NYRB broadcaster, had some role in brokering players; we've also heard that Preki's brother was cutting deals here and in Sacramento, and Mariner had some deal to consult in Bermuda, where Hall was from. I believe Elkinson's family was rich and from there, too, and it makes you wonder.

All sorts of weirdness, and that's before we get to the fact that Mo and Earl signed most of our players for three years through just a couple of agents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been a few telling signs that there are a lot of side deals and side money exchanging hands in MLS; during the whole Phil. Union lawsuit against Nowak, it was mentioned that Shep Messing, the former keeper and NYRB broadcaster, had some role in brokering players; we've also heard that Preki's brother was cutting deals here and in Sacramento, and Mariner had some deal to consult in Bermuda, where Hall was from. I believe Elkinson's family was rich and from there, too, and it makes you wonder.

All sorts of weirdness, and that's before we get to the fact that Mo and Earl signed most of our players for three years through just a couple of agents.
    Man, the shocking thing is the league might be part of these deals as well.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't believe it's been 10 years!
    What???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Favourites:
    1. De Rosario
    2. Henry
    3. Giovinco
    4. Osorio
    5. Koevermans

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, Geovanny Caicedo was apparently an "Anti-Aron Winter" special. I just found the interview with John Molinaro: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...earl-cochrane/

"But Winter paints a different picture, claiming that Mariner and Cochrane had greater influence than they’re letting on. As an example, he pointed to the acquisition of Geovanny Caicedo, a defender from Ecuador, who the club signed in January but parted company with two months later before he even played in a regular season game.

Caicedo wasn't up to snuff and Winter didn't want to bring him in at all, but he claims it was done at the behest of Cochrane. Several other questionable trade deals and prospective player signings presented by Cochrane and Mariner were turned down by Winter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nope, Geovanny Caicedo was apparently an "Anti-Aron Winter" special. I just found the interview with John Molinaro: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...earl-cochrane/
    jloome was talking about Elbekay Bouchiba, but surely Caicedo was anti-Winter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jloome was talking about Elbekay Bouchiba, but surely Caicedo was anti-Winter.
    Oh good point, I mis-read jloome's post. I don't forget many TFC players, but I totally forgot about Elbekay Bouchiba!

PS It seems that Bouchiba hasn't played anywhere professionally since he was released by TFC in early 2012 at the age of 32.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-11-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Oh good point, I mis-read jloome's post. I don't forget many TFC players, but I totally forgot about Elbekay Bouchiba!

PS It seems that Bouchiba hasn't played anywhere professionally since he was released by TFC in early 2012 at the age of 32.
    The amount of players that have played for us, it’s easy to let one or two slip through.

Personally I think Bouchiba is already done before signing with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Interesting that Dichio is still that high. Love the guy but the older this team gets, the more one has to ignore the numbers and look at the sentimental.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the Dichio fetish on here? His accolades are a product of historically low standards.
    Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams.....expected because TFC was just starting out, but you can't even look at numbers alone, because he offered more than that imo.....hold up play, football smarts, etc.....he was the key to our offence in our early years and the fact that we were never able to replace his classic #9 style should show why he is/was a "top 10" player of our history.....

here's a question....plop Dichio in the team we have now (ie. playing the #9 next to Seba) and what kind of numbers do you think he'll have......better than Altidore?.....I definitely think so.....those two would've been unstoppable together!!.....granted, having a talent like Seba next to him would be a cause for the better numbers, but great players make each other better too....and to me Altidore doesn't necessarily make Seba "better", but I think Dichio would.....

anyways, here's my 10 in no order.....
    Giovinco
    Robbo
    Guevara
    Dichio
    Koevermans
    DeRo
    Bradley
    Frings
    Brennan
    Morrow
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 03-11-2016 at 08:00 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams.....expected because TFC was just starting out, but you can't even look at numbers alone, because he offered more than that imo.....hold up play, football smarts, etc.....he was the key to our offence in our early years and the fact that we were never able to replace his classic #9 style should show why he is/was a "top 10" player of our history.....

here's a question....plop Dichio in the team we have now (ie. playing the #9 next to Seba) and what kind of numbers do you think he'll have......better than Altidore?.....I definitely think so.....those two would've been unstoppable together!!.....granted, having a talent like Seba next to him would be a cause for the better numbers, but great players make each other better too....and to me Altidore doesn't necessarily make Seba "better", but I think Dichio would.....

anyways, here's my 10 in no order.....
    Giovinco
    Robbo
    Guevara
    Dichio
    Koevermans
    DeRo
    Bradley
    Frings
    Brennan
    Morrow
    I got the shirt at home and love the guy for what he did at the time but there are things to look at now as we exhume those first years (for fun):

2007:

Altidore's 2nd year at Red Bulls he gets 9 on a team that has the 2nd place scorer Angel with 19
    Robbie Findley has 8
    Chad Barrett has 7
    Carlos Ruiz is tied with Barrett
    Then DeRo still at Houston with 6
    Ties Dichio's 6

There are tonnes of comparisons to make and NONE of them are exact apples to apples, I concede that. But that 2007 team had a Cunningham that scored 3 when the year before he won the boot with 16!

When we look at "plopping" players from a certain year into some other year that just could've worked if all the chemistry and health worked perfectly, sure, we can imagine the best ever 10.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
    2. Mo Johnston
    3. Earl Cochrane

THEY are the reason for the first 7 years of ineptitude.
    groan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm kind of shocked to not see Laba on this list, he is still by far the best defensive midfielder this club has ever had.
    As I'm sure you're aware, he's about to pass his 62 apps for Argentinos Juniors with VWFC. Special day for his fans.

But, hey, Beitashour may help us out in the back, no?

Now if young Hellmann gets to the first team and starts lighting it up for VAN then I'll be miffed!
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-11-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I got the shirt at home and love the guy for what he did at the time but there are things to look at now as we exhume those first years (for fun):

2007:

Altidore's 2nd year at Red Bulls he gets 9 on a team that has the 2nd place scorer Angel with 19
    Robbie Findley has 8
    Chad Barrett has 7
    Carlos Ruiz is tied with Barrett
    Then DeRo still at Houston with 6
    Ties Dichio's 6

There are tonnes of comparisons to make and NONE of them are exact apples to apples, I concede that. But that 2007 team had a Cunningham that scored 3 when the year before he won the boot with 16!

When we look at "plopping" players from a certain year into some other year that just could've worked if all the chemistry and health worked perfectly, sure, we can imagine the best ever 10.
    I totally get that, but to me that's what these lists essentially are.....picking the individual players who have wore our shirt and imagining what it would be like if they'd played TOGETHER......that's why I make the point of how Dichio and Seba would play off of each other......there'd be no combo like it imo.....not that we've seen in our shirt anyways.....

even Dichio's 6 in 2007 is a feat considering that he is just within a couple of goals from other former TFC strikers that year playing on an expansion team.....