Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I totally get that, but to me that's what these lists essentially are.....picking the individual players who have wore our shirt and imagining what it would be like if they'd played TOGETHER......that's why I make the point of how Dichio and Seba would play off of each other......there'd be no combo like it imo.....not that we've seen in our shirt anyways.....

even Dichio's 6 in 2007 is a feat considering that he is just within a couple of goals from other former TFC strikers that year playing on an expansion team.....
    Yes man. Totally get that this game is all imagination. Just sayin' my take above would've made an interesting TFC in 2007 if all pistons were firing instead of our team aquiring the same talent later.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Andrea Lombardo did so well, he earned himself a transfer to York University.
    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    where he is now working in the admissions office.

And Gabe Gala, his closest friend on the team, now works in real estate.

Those first couple years were pretty fucking insane looking back on it now.
    Yeah but they also a product of the time. MLS reserves went the way of the dodo and it took us years here to fill the gap they could've fell into.

TFC Accies wouldn't have helped them but if the Toonies were around...who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm kind of shocked to not see Laba on this list, he is still by far the best defensive midfielder this club has ever had.
    I think people want to forget that we lost him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Yes man. Totally get that this game is all imagination. Just sayin' my take above would've made an interesting TFC in 2007 if all pistons were firing instead of our team aquiring the same talent later.
    it sure would've.....but then again who knows how the others would've paired up with a guy like Seba....

besides, we would only be able to play 2 at a time....unless we used Cantona's 1-1-8

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I can't remember who mentioned Conor Casey but damn. Looking back now is just hilarious.

He whines he wants to go home and we take Ryan O'Neill who doesn't play a game for us. Colorado get only 2 goals out of him, One less than Herculez Gomez who just comes back to MLS from the minors and only one more than Jacob Peterson. Not even mentioning their draft pick Nick Labrocca.

Oh what a funny game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Mista
    Top avatar, that! Where does one acquire such swag?!

Never forget, btw (how 'bout that assist from Raivs Hscabcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz?):

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    I think the list should take into consideration who and what they were too the team when they were playing. To compare Cheyrou to Frings IMO is incomparable considering Frings (captain, easily one of our best CDMs, moved to CB to fill a reoccurring hole, and was still creating chances from there) played many key roles during his time, that Benoit would not even be put in considering the quality around him.
    If we're going by what the player meant to the club, it's got to be Tal Ben Haim—hands down!

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2013/05...n-haim-toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Top avatar, that! Where does one acquire such swag?!

Never forget, btw (how 'bout that assist from Raivs Hscabcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz?):

If we're going by what the player meant to the club, it's got to be Tal Ben Haim—hands down!

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2013/05...n-haim-toronto
    Great Minds think alike!

Tal Ben Hain!!! I completely forgot he was (on paper) a member of TFC.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams
    I've never heard a Preston North End supporter say anything good about his time there. I'm not trying to shit on the guy, I'm just saying he falls right into that Toronto 'no skill/high work rate' fandom that seems to span all sports. Fact is he scored a goal every 285 minutes throughout his career and was only fractionally better at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I've never heard a Preston North End supporter say anything good about his time there. I'm not trying to shit on the guy, I'm just saying he falls right into that Toronto 'no skill/high work rate' fandom that seems to span all sports. Fact is he scored a goal every 285 minutes throughout his career and was only fractionally better at TFC.
    by "very poor teams" I meant during his time with TFC, not in general.....look, I'm not so delusional to believe he was a clone of van Basten, but to me its very lazy to lump him in the "no skill/high work rate" category.....he was a good player for a bad team, nothing more or less.....he'd have done much better on a team like we have now, and I don't know how anyone can exclude him from the top 10 that we've had here......if you're putting that list in order, where he falls is defintely up for debate (he'd fall somewhere between 4-6 for me)....but he's gotta be in there.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'monnnn top 10 players? He's barely a top 10 striker on this team.

1. Giovinco
    2. De Rosario (because he was basically a striker for us)
    3. Kouvermans
    4. Defoe
    5. Altidore
    6. Johnson
    7. Barrett

And now take your pick between Dichio, Earnshaw, Santos, Gilberto and Gordon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Giovinco
    3. Kouvermans
    4. Defoe
    5. Altidore
    6. Johnson
    7. Barrett

difference of opinion what else can I say.....I'd definitely rate him higher than your 5-7....based on stats alone though, you could make a case for Johnson.....Altidore's success in MLS to me has as much to do with the players he got to play with (JPA in NY and Seba here, arguably the best players in MLS for the times - which is why I make the case of being able to drop Dichio in today's team with Seba; 2007-08 Dichio would imo be AT LEAST as productive as Altidore).....and Barrett is just ugh, sure he scored some (not much of a better strike rate than Dichio), but missed way to many to be considered a "best of" here.....

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Dichio fetish on here? His accolades are a product of historically low standards.

You had to be there... I'll always remember the blizzard of seat cushions onto the field!
    Last edited by Mr. Bigby; 03-11-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Personal Favourites:
    1. De Rosario
    2. Henry
    3. Giovinco
    4. Osorio
    5. Koevermans
    Pretty much my list as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    You had to be there... I'll always remember the blizzard of seat cushions onto the field!
    I was there... first five seasons for every game barring one or two. I still don't see anything other than nostalgia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    When I was in New York on the weekend they had a wall of their top 20 players in 20 years. Here are my TFC top 10 in 10 years.

Michael Bradley
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Stefan Frei
    Torsten Frings
    Sebastian Giovinco
    Amado Guevara
    Carl Robinson
    Danny Dichio
    Jermain Defoe
    Danny Koevermans
    hey Prof, it was awesome to meet you on megabus. It was hilarious how we run around buffalo looking for a bar even though our bus stopped there for only half an hour. Also, you gotta tell me how that vodka replaced by water ended up lol

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Collin Samuel?

I'll get my pie.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there... first five seasons for every game barring one or two. I still don't see anything other than nostalgia.
    Could be nostalgia, could be emotion, could be the fact that, during a time when we had some really terrible players, DD seemed to give us someone to focus on. We knew he wasn't the most skillful. God knows he wasn't the fastest! But he never gave up and he wore his heart on his sleeve for the team.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow, it's scary how many awful players have come through this club! You'd be hard pressed to only come up with 10. Maxim Usanov, Gianluca Zavarise, Eddy Viator, Matt Stinson, Dasan Robinson, Paulo Nagamura (decent enough in MLS, but screw him since he didn't want to be here a la Casey, Mulrooney, etc.), Raivis Hscanovics...the names just go on and on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Great Minds think alike!
    Would be elated to see the club adopt this variant of the badge to mark 20/25 years; wouldn't know what to do with myself to find out my touch-ups have seen me forever stitched into the fabric of our beloved club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
    2. Mo Johnston
    3. Earl Cochrane

THEY are the reason for the first 7 years of ineptitude.
    The three stooges who ruined TFC

Tom Anselmi bought a whole bunch of fans beers at the Skydome CCL game a few years back.

I refused to take one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    The three stooges who ruined TFC

Tom Anselmi bought a whole bunch of fans beers at the Skydome CCL game a few years back.

I refused to take one.
    You the real MVP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    You the real MVP.

LOL

All I meant was that I despise the guy so much that I turned down a free beer from him.

Free beer is hard to refuse no?

MVP is a bit much.

MVP of what I might ask?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    When I was in New York on the weekend they had a wall of their top 20 players in 20 years. Here are my TFC top 10 in 10 years.

Michael Bradley
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Stefan Frei
    Torsten Frings
    Sebastian Giovinco
    Amado Guevara
    Carl Robinson
    Danny Dichio
    Jermain Defoe
    Danny Koevermans

I thought I responded to this already. But I guess there was some glitch. But I have to say that I agree with this list completely. Stefan Frei is the only one that I may have taken out but I cannot say that you are wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio was a great target man for us, who scored some good goals. He created changes, he knocked the ball down, and spread it around nicely. He was not fast but he played his position very well. For a low skilled team he was a perfect CF, and even on the team today, him playing in front of Seba would produce allot of quality chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Giovinco
    3. Kouvermans
    4. Defoe
    5. Altidore
    6. Johnson
    7. Barrett

Hahahahahahahahhahaha. You would take "I cannot hit a barn even if I am standing two feet from it" Barret over Dichio, what were you smoking in the first 5 years of TFC???? You can argue the first five, but you are comparing a pure target man/CF with AM/SS types, in Giovinco, De Rosario and Defoe, Kouvermans, Altidore and Dichio are more of the same kind of 9 players. Kouvermans and Altidore were/are better finishers, but Dichio was better at getting to ball. holding it, passing it to runners, and with his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Hahahahahahahahhahaha. You would take "I cannot hit a barn even if I am standing two feet from it" Barret over Dichio, what were you smoking in the first 5 years of TFC???? You can argue the first five, but you are comparing a pure target man/CF with AM/SS types, in Giovinco, De Rosario and Defoe, Kouvermans, Altidore and Dichio are more of the same kind of 9 players. Kouvermans and Altidore were/are better finishers, but Dichio was better at getting to ball. holding it, passing it to runners, and with his head.
    not necessarily......Altidore needs maybe another season to have a true sample size, but Dichio's strike rate (14 G for 31 SOG, 48%) was actually better than Koev's (17 G for 41 SOG, 41%)......I agree with you on the rest of Dichio's assets......admittedly I'm not one to look STRICTLY at numbers, but those are the stats.....imo both Koev and Dichio are definitely in our Top 10 up to now....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I think people want to forget that we lost him.
    Based on performance for the club, I would replace Frings with Laba.
    And this is coming from a Frings fan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
    2. Mo Johnston
    3. Earl Cochrane

THEY are the reason for the first 7 years of ineptitude.
    Where's Mariner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Where's Mariner?
    Mariner was the symptom, those guys were the virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Mariner was the symptom, those guys were the virus.
    I'd argue that Mariner was worse than Mo and Cochrane. He left the club in such a mess after the 2012 season. His scouting, overpaid players and salary cap management bit us in the ass two years after he was gone.