Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes, this is true, and also don't forget that TSN was pretty much the only sports channel when it took on the CFL and that league gave them ratings in 8 (and sometimes 9) markets. So it isn't really a model that can work today.

But as you say, give it time and it will happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I don't know if this whole internet thing will ever take off. I mean I have 12 channels and this already
    Mehhhhhh-Mor-EEEEEs. MehhHehHehHehhh-Mor-EEEEEs.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated sports survey out shows interest in baseball has increased from 35% to 49% but only 25% of Canadians follow the sport which is unchanged YoY and runs against Rogers claim that the Jays are 'Canada’s Team'.

The Raptors have seen their following in Toronto drop from 29 to 28%. Nationally, the interest is static at 12%.

Interest in the CFL has dropped from 24 to 22%. NFL's is at 21% which dropped by 1% YoY.

People following the NHL closely to very closely has dropped from 46% to 40%. Biggest drops were in Montreal & Vancity.

Interest in the MLS remains at the 2013 level of 9%. Whitecaps are drawing the most interest at 18% while Toronto and Montreal have a following of 13%.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...154459368.html
    Last edited by mr k; 04-08-2016 at 12:34 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the Bibby survey. His methodology has been questioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By whom? Arm chair statisticians who can't count to 10? Or the ones who can't understand that polling 1500 people is more than sufficient given the error rate won't decrease meaningfully even if it was 10k. I'll give my 95% degree of confidence level to a prof vs the unwashed masses.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    By whom? Arm chair statisticians who can't count to 10? Or the ones who can't understand that polling 1500 people is more than sufficient given the error rate won't decrease meaningfully even if it was 10k. I'll give my 95% degree of confidence level to a prof vs the unwashed masses.

Its possible to question polls based on the methods used. Or on who has paid for polls in the past.

Bibby has ties to the CFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His numbers are pretty similar to TV ratings.

just forget about this stuff, and enjoy watching futbol ... although MLS has been horrible to watch so far (hopefully it gets better), premiership futbol has been great and Euro 2016 in two months.
    Last edited by Onyx; 04-08-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stats are biased!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well these TV ratings just seem very strange, the Raptors only getting 150000 the other night, they are having one of the best regular seasons ever, they have sold out all their games but yet only 150000 is what they got on TV very strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post

Oh dear. This was an online survey. The same survey found the following in 2013: The only place the MLB is less popular than Quebec is... Alberta. The MLB. Where the Expos are still an obsession and over 100,000 people attended two spring training games of non-local teams is actually weakest in La Belle Province! If this game was in Brandon there would have been 200,000.

According to this survey, the NBA is more popular in Saskatchewan than...Ontario! The N.B.A. Basketball. In vagina saskatchewan.

Oh dear. In 2013 the MLS was almost twice as popular in Manitoba than...again, Ontario! Winnipeg loves the Fire SC!

And Holy S*%$ his 2015 CAN-AM Sports Survey claims that curling is more popular in the USA then MLS is in Canada. Curling and figure skating are most popular under 35. And the world is flat.

I go to Little Rock and all they want to talk is Kevin Koe.

And Ricky Ray.

Most this idiot's headlines go something like this...CFL IS GOD'S GAME. SECOND MOST POPULAR SPORT IN WORLD. PEOPLE IN SIERRA LEONE LOVE CFL! I could do a more reliable survey with a couple drunk friends.

That is all.
    Last edited by robotfighter; 04-09-2016 at 10:46 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mic drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Well these TV ratings just seem very strange, the Raptors only getting 150000 the other night, they are having one of the best regular seasons ever, they have sold out all their games but yet only 150000 is what they got on TV very strange.
    Raptors fanbase is much younger and urban where they're most likely watch Raptor games online/IPTV. Best way to prove that theory is simply looking at their online presence and compare it to other Toronto sport teams.

Also remember that a lot of Raptor games are broadcast on secondary sport channels like Sportsnet One or TSN 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two biggest MLS markets in the country, both having fantastic early seasons, in a rivalry game with its own name...featuring Giovinco and Drogba, an MVP and a legend...etc, etc, etc...didn't crack Zelkovich's magic list this weekend. This will be reported as bad. But wasn't it on TSN4 which is called that because like 4% of people in Canada get the channel or know where to find it. Furthermore, the Raptors tragic fall in ratings this weekend amongst 50 year old prairie turnip farmers will overshadow Toronto FC's woes and give justification for ignoring basketball too (it has no future with a rapidly growing immigrant and visible minority population which travels 2,000 strong 14 hours away and fills public squares) to pump hockey (the future).

These funny guys are really grasping to their ice hockey like it's the rebel flag of Old Canada. Follow Raptors fans. That's my advice to TFC fans. You are brothers. And together you can trample the gatekeepers.
    Last edited by robotfighter; 04-27-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN4 is the MAIN TSN channel for almost all of Ontario (only the Ottawa area is TSN5). It is has the biggest reach of TSN's four regional channels (TSN1 (BC, Alberta), 3 (Saskatchewan, Manitoba), 4 (Almost all of Ontario), 5 (Ottawa Valley and East). Most people across Canada get TSN4 as part of their cable package. Not hitting 97,000 on English TV - which is the lowest number that appears on Numeris's ratings for weekend sports programs is pretty sad. I'd be curious to see what the ratings were like on whatever French language channel that covered the game were. Hopefully better than the English language ratings.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...213013737.html
    Last edited by TravelPat; 04-27-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mic drop

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I'm not doubting the TV numbers. Raptors and baseball. Lets see if the evening games get any traction.

I stand by my concerns with that survey and Bibby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    TSN4 is the MAIN TSN channel for almost all of Ontario (only the Ottawa area is TSN5). It is has the biggest reach of TSN's four regional channels (TSN1 (BC, Alberta), 3 (Saskatchewan, Manitoba), 4 (Almost all of Ontario), 5 (Ottawa Valley and East). Most people across Canada get TSN4 as part of their cable package. Not hitting 97,000 on English TV - which is the lowest number that appears on Numeris's ratings for weekend sports programs is pretty sad. I'd be curious to see what the ratings were like on whatever French language channel that covered the game were. Hopefully better than the English language ratings.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...213013737.html
    Damn, even with two Canadian teams with internationally known names on both sides and with both teams near the top of the standings we couldn't break 100,000 on TV? What's it going to take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not going to take anything, these numbers will not ever improve this is the level of interest of TFC and the MLS in Canada and North America, the TV numbers will never be great, MLSE needs to understand this and figure out how they want to go forward, if they want to continue with owning TFC in the future at all. We have too many established leagues that have been around for ever, the MLS can't compete TV numbers wise with these leagues, in Canada they will never compete with the CFL either in terms of TV numbers. There is no purpose in going over the TV numbers week out and week in they are not ever changing people, maybe a little bit of a bump during the playoffs but that is it. I've been following soccer in North America forever and TV numbers were just as bad during the old NASL in the 70's and 80's and nothing has changed TV numbers wise today with the MLS and it's not changing ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed this earlier: TFC vs. Dallas a couple weeks ago drew 107k.

And TFC vs. Vancouver drew 162k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is going on with TFC ratings? They cant even get 100 k !!!! I think whitecaps are doing much better this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV ratings are what they are. Vancouver has been better then TFC for years now - that audience was built up by consistently being on the same channel each time. That's not going to happen with TFC because 2 companies own the rights.

Cord cutters bring this down a bit but the market just isn't there. It going to take another 10 years to build up the market to watch MLS in this country - MLS itself is only starting to see decent ratings in the US this season and that's after 20 years.

The issue for TFC, as Dan Riccio indicated this morning, is if the TV ratings don't improve media companies will not see the need to cover the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TV ratings are what they are. Vancouver has been better then TFC for years now - that audience was built up by consistently being on the same channel each time. That's not going to happen with TFC because 2 companies own the rights.

Cord cutters bring this down a bit but the market just isn't there. It going to take another 10 years to build up the market to watch MLS in this country - MLS itself is only starting to see decent ratings in the US this season and that's after 20 years.

The issue for TFC, as Dan Riccio indicated this morning, is if the TV ratings don't improve media companies will not see the need to cover the team.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/mls/index....mls_are_u.html
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we should just be happy that TFC is on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early years are always a struggle.

The Raptors at one point were under 100K for regular season games. Even with all their success lately, they were still averaging about 200-250K for your normal regular season games. But they are showing signs lately of growing with million + audiences for the playoffs.

If TFC continues to draw well at the gate and they build a consistamt winner, their ratings will increase over time. Not Leafs/Jays high, but I could see them getting growing at a respectable rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPL gets an average of 150 k (I think) for Saturday and Sunday mornings. Most of my soccer friends thought my TFC pics where somewhere in Europe !!!! My point is that many soccer fans dont watch MLS.

FYI, La Liga has 4:15 pm games from Monday to Sunday this season, so MLS should stick with the 7:30 games (in US).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with the TFC ratings is that they are not on the CBC anymore, they were consistently pulling in 150K viewers in the early years, blame it on the overpriced TV packages for the garbage ratings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir FC View Post
    So we should just be happy that TFC is on TV.
    It will always be on TV, even if TSN dropped MLS when the contract expires, the two owners would show TFC games on their networks. 50% on SN and 50% on TSN. like the raptors.
    Last edited by Onyx; 07-27-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The issue with the TFC ratings is that they are not on the CBC anymore, they were consistently pulling in 150K viewers in the early years, blame it on the overpriced TV packages for the garbage ratings.
    100% agree. Part of the reason I ended up following TFC was I'd stumble on the games on CBC. Now that I'm an established fan I will hunt them down on TSN 1, TSN 2, TSN 3, TSN 4, TSN 5, SN360, SN West etc... but a casual fan is not going to stumble on the games as easily.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I beat this drum the last few seasons so I'lll simply tap it once and move on.

Personal story is that I've lost interest in the outcome of any single game in the regular season as MLS has set it up such that they aren't that important. 6 of 10 teams make the playoffs. A single knock out game is the metric with which you judge a season now (or a 2 game home and home).

Feel the same about NHL regular season as I get older. What's there to get all worked up about? Just one of many games that are basically practice for the few games that will get coaches awards or fired.

Baseball regular season is more intriguing as the playoffs are tougher to make.

I go to the games to watch the play and simple enjoyment. But if I'm too busy to go, I'm not likely to watch it either. Just don't feel as emotionally vested in the outcome.

Don't feel that way at all about EPL. All games matter in the outcome. Whether it's a relegation battle or top 4 or the championship quest.

I think people would take MLS more seriously if they did away with the playoffs. Maybe appealing to North American fans is the wrong approach. Appeal to soccer fans. Give them something that resonates.

Last drum solo on that for me.