Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to think the CBC would be interested in picking up MLS tv rights for all three Canadian teams. I can't imagine they would try and go after a league that doesn't exist at the moment and would be at the level of USL-1.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBC had TFC rights for the first years of their existence. While the ratings were better than they are now, it still was low (100-150k). CBC's first priority sportswise is showing sports in the Olympics to build up interest in the sport and profile of Canadians competing. And these sports can get 100K viewers at a fraction of the cost of producing MLS matches since CBC just piggybacks on the world English feed.

MLS doesn't fit this agenda as well as CPL can. Plus, CPL is an all Canadian league. At best, CBC would be interested and have the resources in showing 1 MLS match on Saturday or maybe Sunday afternoon.

TSN/CTV have World Cup, so not much reason for CBC to support MLS in this regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmm....Armen doing some serious digging and finding out something

As he shared, the filing is here
    Or they're making a sitcom about a pub league in Yellowknife. Or a drama, with the CBC anything is possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about ratings and revenue. The MLS Canadian teams can give them that better than a lower level league created by CFL owners looking to fill dates for their stadiums.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I would have to think the CBC would be interested in picking up MLS tv rights for all three Canadian teams. I can't imagine they would try and go after a league that doesn't exist at the moment and would be at the level of USL-1.
    plus if MLS went with CBC, CBC won't show all the game due to programming schedule. TSN/SN would probably drop all promotion for MLS -- even obligations under cross ownership with MLSE -- leaving MLSE scrambling to find a network for rest of TFC games.

agree, can't imagine CBC would show CPL games.
    Last edited by Onyx; 10-23-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....Armen doing some serious digging and finding out something

As he shared, the filing is here
    CPL would be wise to give the rights to CBC. Larger audience with the CBC plus it's not like CBC Sports has much else to show. I imagine they would promote the crap out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If CPL goes to CBC, then most games will be online streaming.

i really enjoyed the coverage today from TSN. Nice pre-game show and highlights after the game as well. They do it for PL so why not for a local team. If TFC stays on one channel instead of moving around, it'll help the ratings.

Any idea when the Wed/Thur will be decided? I am hoping for Thursday night now or TSN4 for Wednesday at least.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been preaching this type of format for years. A double header with Canadian content every Saturday evening. Make it happen CBC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip to 54:40 of this podcast

Rollins says TSN, who's broadcasting contract for MLS is up after this year, is choosing to drop their MLS rights, and CBC will be picking them up. That's why CBC filed for the "Soccer Night in Canada" trademark recently. The thought is TSN will grab the rights to the CPL when it starts up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few juicy lines from Cathal Kelly today:

Not to start, at least. Toronto FC shares the same problem of most Major League Soccer teams – it has a few thousand committed fans, and all of them are at the games.

Ten feet outside the perimeter of the stadium, this team is a non-entity on the Toronto sports scene.

The Leafs and Raptors were big arena rock shows. TFC was the Stones at the El Mocambo. Getting in wasn’t a function of paying through the nose. It was a being-in-the-know sort of thing. People love being in the know. onsidering the attention span of the average 21st-century urbanite, that sense of a secret everyone wanted in on lasted a long time.

Toronto FC won’t do it with one win. Or even with two. But if it is on its way to a conference championship, that could be enough to bring back the jaded supporter who gave up a few years back. Going beyond that just might be the excuse to get them painting the town. Toronto has proved in the past that it likes winners more than it likes any sport in particular.

But blow it early and we’re back to square (minus-) one. Toronto FC will have confirmed everyone’s opinion of it – that its only purpose is to absorb all the negative energy in a town emerging from its Age of Sports Darkness.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle32487043/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Skip to 54:40 of this podcast

Rollins says TSN, who's broadcasting contract for MLS is up after this year, is choosing to drop their MLS rights, and CBC will be picking them up. That's why CBC filed for the "Soccer Night in Canada" trademark recently. The thought is TSN will grab the rights to the CPL when it starts up.

I assume on cbc it will be combination of network games and streaming games. I might pick up MLS live next year.

If TSN doesn't want to broadcast MLS, why would they broadcast CPL. They are doing what NBC did in the states, focusing on the european rights. You could see this in the way they allocated talent in fall toward their England/PL coverage.
    Last edited by Onyx; 10-24-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    I assume on cbc it will be combination of network games and streaming games. I might pick up MLS live next year.

If TSN doesn't want to broadcast MLS, why would they broadcast CPL. They are doing what NBC did in the states, focusing on the european rights. You could see this in the way they allocated talent in fall toward their England/PL coverage.
    CPL will be significantly cheaper for TSN to broadcast, and they probably figure they will get similar viewership (50k-150k most of the time).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers/Bell have very little foresight, but that's what happens when you basically have a government protected oligarchy, you can play it safe.

Soccer is a global game with untapped potential in Canada, but because ratings aren't good right now, Bell/Rogers aren't interested.

The CBC would be a good option for the MLS as it reaches a lot of people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPL will be significantly cheaper for TSN to broadcast, and they probably figure they will get similar viewership (50k-150k most of the time).
    doubt it. TSN an SN's MLS coverage was pretty bare bones.

TFC was only getting 38k this year. CPL isn't going to top that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer Night in Canada on CBC, I sense a long-term relationship! This is the best possible outcome if it happens!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't really care about Cathal Kelly. Guy lost his sources then didn't have to care anymore cause he went to the Globe.

He peddles the same stuff about MLS at least once a year. Best to ignore him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be interesting to see how CBC handle showing MLS games in Spring/Fall with HNIC still running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how CBC handle showing MLS games in Spring/Fall with HNIC still running.
    despite them trademarking "Soccer Night in Canada" - i can't see them showing games in primetime and dumping regular programming.
    my guess is it will be in a similar time slot as the games used to be and that they use for their current sports programming - midday on weekends

My understanding the CBC/Rogers partnership goes 2 more years after this one (it was just for first 4 years of Rogers 12yr NHL deal), unless extended.
    Last edited by Onyx; 10-24-2016 at 08:21 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think this is CPL. Friday night or Sunday night games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Duane Rollins, TSN has dropped MLS for broadcasting rights. Thus CBC picking up the rights. https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/...anada-in-2017/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't really care about Cathal Kelly. Guy lost his sources then didn't have to care anymore cause he went to the Globe.

He peddles the same stuff about MLS at least once a year. Best to ignore him.
    It also shows some misunderstanding about Toronto. The fate of the local team rests almost entirely on the fate of the league - if MLS become s a big deal so will the team in Toronto. If the league doesn't, then it won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It also shows some misunderstanding about Toronto. The fate of the local team rests almost entirely on the fate of the league - if MLS become s a big deal so will the team in Toronto. If the league doesn't, then it won't.
    Well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few Q's:

- If CBC becomes the primary rights holder, would that be just for TFC games or all Canadian teams?

- If it is all Canadian teams, then how much pull do you think they would have in scheduling? Ideally they'd want an east coast game early and a west coast game late (similar to HNIC).

- I think it has been mentioned but would Nigel Reed then become the voice of TFC? (For the record, I do like him).

- Does CBC make a push for CCL games as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Few Q's:

- If CBC becomes the primary rights holder, would that be just for TFC games or all Canadian teams?

- If it is all Canadian teams, then how much pull do you think they would have in scheduling? Ideally they'd want an east coast game early and a west coast game late (similar to HNIC).

- I think it has been mentioned but would Nigel Reed then become the voice of TFC? (For the record, I do like him).

- Does CBC make a push for CCL games as well?
    1. It would primarily be national broadcasts for the three Canadian teams. It depends how the deal is structured, but most likely some games would still be distributed regionally (like the current deal gives Sportsnet a handful of TFC games, or RDS and TVA Sports have some Impact games). Most would be on CBC nationally though, like most were on TSN this season.

2. The league will want to work with CBC to do the best they can to get the ratings up. But with CBC having Saturday nights taken up with Hockey Night in Canada for at least 2 more NHL seasons, I would suspect all our home games broadcast by CBC would have to be either Saturday afternoons or on Sundays. CBC doesn't have a second national channel to broadcast on like TSN does with TSN2. So any Saturday night games would have to be regional broadcasts. Given the "Soccer Night in Canada" trademark, I'd guess they're looking at making Sunday night games a regular thing, unless they go mid-week, which I find unlikely.

3. Good chance of that, but who knows, they could recruit Wileman. If TSN doesn't have MLS, Wileman will only be used there for Champions League hosting, which isn't much.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-25-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBC getting full rights would be the best news for TV ratings in years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    CBC getting full rights would be the best news for TV ratings in years.
    Yep, although being dumped on our asses by the sports networks doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Like the idea of the CBC though. They need a revitalization project or two after being gutted with budget cutbacks in recent years. MLS needs a good plug as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. It would primarily be national broadcasts for the three Canadian teams. It depends how the deal is structured, but most likely some games would still be distributed regionally (like the current deal gives Sportsnet a handful of TFC games, or RDS and TVA Sports have some Impact games). Most would be on CBC nationally though, like most were on TSN this season.

2. The league will want to work with CBC to do the best they can to get the ratings up. But with CBC having Saturday nights taken up with Hockey Night in Canada for at least 2 more NHL seasons, I would suspect all our home games broadcast by CBC would have to be either Saturday afternoons or on Sundays. CBC doesn't have a second national channel to broadcast on like TSN does with TSN2. So any Saturday night games would have to be regional broadcasts. Given the "Soccer Night in Canada" trademark, I'd guess they're looking at making Sunday night games a regular thing, unless they go mid-week, which I find unlikely.

3. Good chance of that, but who knows, they could recruit Wileman. If TSN doesn't have MLS, Wileman will only be used there for Champions League hosting, which isn't much.
    Wileman would probably be shared between the 2 networks (like Andi Petrillo is for Leafs Lunch/Champions League/Olympics)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN 2 agaaaaaaain!!!! Why? There is nothing on TSN 5 at 7 pm, what's the matter with TSN? How do u expect to the get ratings if the most important game of TFC is not on the main channels?

This is just sad and I dono how we can let TSN know (if they care). I am so upset it beyond explaining, this is why I have zero respect for other sports. When was the lat time they put a playoff game on TSN2 for hockey, baseball or basketball? In US, you can get a much better coverage of MLS playoff.

Montreal game at home is on TSNGO, wow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We few...we happy few.

Back to TSN - they are committed to the NFL game.