Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Really eager to see the ratings after this one.

What a night.

Everything that could be right about MLS; 62,000 and loud. Combined with everything wrong; delaying the start because of the measurements on their painted concrete and possibly losing casual viewers who tuned in between 8-8:30.

This one was 1M plus worthy entertainment. Hopefully, they at least break the 600k mark and set a record.
    I think the delay hurt bigtime. Game might as well have been in MST.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, that was a clownshoes moment from a clownshoes organization. A chance for the sport and the league to look great after all that buildup and they pull that shit.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bigly numbers

RDS alone drew 392,000 viewers for #IMFC vs. #TFCLive last night, with a peak audience of 834,000. That’s enormous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Bigly numbers
    I predicted 750k for this game earlier. I think it's going to end up somewhere around there - RDS numbers are historically a little higher than TSN's. 392k is an RDS record for MLS. We should know TSN's numbers pretty soon - this definitely broke the all-time Canadian record for an MLS game audience, they will probably put out a press release.

What's more, the game did extremely well in the States:

The highest U.S. rating for an American channel in these playoffs before this was 302k for LA-Colorado. Only Seattle-SKC has had higher total viewership, because it was simulcast on UniMas (207k on FS1 + 256k on UniMas). So two Canadian teams crushed all the American audiences so far (in fairness the Seattle-Colorado numbers were definitely hurt by their kickoff being pushed back by the line painting fiasco).

I think this has to point to the league moving to mid-week playoff games. Make Tuesday and Wednesday MLS playoff night through the post-season. Imagine the numbers in the States if this had been the Red Bulls vs. NYCFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TORONTO (November 23, 2016) – Last night’s thrilling MLS Eastern Conference Championship featuring Montreal Impact vs. Toronto FC game had it all – including record-breaking ratings. Overnight data from Numeris confirms that an average audience of more than 1 million viewers watched the Impact’s 3-2 victory over TFC on TSN (595,000*) and RDS (429,000*) – making it Canada’s most-watched MLS game ever.
    Overall, more than 3.6 million unique viewers watched some part of the Leg #1 match on TSN and RDS, with audience levels peaking at 10:27 p.m. ET in the final minute of regular time.
    Last night’s audience nearly doubles the previous all-time record of 587,000 on TSN and RDS for the TFC-Impact playoff match on October 29, 2015.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/rec...mls-game-ever/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit! 1 million!

This is totally against precedent - RDS outdrew TSN in last year's knockout round game, and has outdrawn TSN so far these playoffs. But TSN just outdrew RDS, and comfortably. Is TFC starting to draw in more casual eyeballs?

This is an incredible number. I thought there was an outside chance at 1 million - for the 2nd leg. Now I can't wait to see how the 2nd leg does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN say's at least 3 million people watched at least part of the game last night.

Everything is coming up Millhouse, it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That number is even more remarkable considering TSN4 had the Leafs game through a good chunk of the game and TSN5 Ottawa Valley and east + RDS in the Canadiens region had the Habs - Sens game on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look this is a surprise but it should not be because we know that soccer in general does draw good ratings for World Cups both men and woman and all the other top international soccer tournaments, so therefore we know that people will watch the potential is there. Our three MLS Canadian teams get good attendances the interest is there, on a participation level soccer is more or less on par with hockey in Canada. Soccer is a thing in Canada it's becoming part of Canada's sporting culture it's there and games like last night and ratings like this prove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See what happens when you have two good Canadian Teams going head to head You will get good Tv numbers I think there will be more next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see the Reds at BMO outdraw the Grey Cup at BMO. Would like to see the beer sale stats as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TSN really put their muscle behind this, including bigtime profile during the Grey Cup telecast, they can possibly deliver a big number for the second leg.

They don't have a totally clear path, but it's not bad. Raps play at 730pm, but on Sportsnet One. Leafs play on Sportsnet, but game doesn't start until 8.30pm that night.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Holy shit! 1 million!

This is totally against precedent - RDS outdrew TSN in last year's knockout round game, and has outdrawn TSN so far these playoffs. But TSN just outdrew RDS, and comfortably. Is TFC starting to draw in more casual eyeballs?

This is an incredible number. I thought there was an outside chance at 1 million - for the 2nd leg. Now I can't wait to see how the 2nd leg does.

What is the highest TV rating for an MLS game in the US?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For regular season, it was 1 million for Galaxy vs San Jose in June 2016 aired on not on English tv but on Univision. Why so high? It was right after opening Copa America match between USA & Colombia.

For English tv, it was 616k on ESPN 3 days earlier for Sounders vs NYCFC.
    Last edited by mr k; 11-23-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind also that the US' population is almost 10 times larger than Canada's population. Therefore 616k of 318 million, aint shit on 529k of 35 million, even just using the English channels. With 3 million unique viewers tuning in at one point or another, that's over 8% of Canada's population vs less than 0.1% of US' population for that LAG VS SJ game. Not bad!

TSN advertised heavily for 3 hours before Tuesday's game... if they give it a decent effort for a few days leading up to the game, we could easily beat the first leg's ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, amazing numbers. And they were treated to a pretty crazy exciting game, so way more likely to come back. Although I really hope the return leg is a bit calmer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome numbers. A little media exposure goes a long way...hope it doesn't disappear after this playoff run.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over one million viewers. And the game and the crowd were pure eye candy.

TSN must be gutted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have been very happy with 600,000. Over 1 million is just a dream.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post

TSN must be gutted.
    I dunno, maybe for next year, but think what they can get for broadcasting an MLS Cup featuring a Canadian team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ONE! MILLION! VIEWERS!

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I dunno, maybe for next year, but think what they can get for broadcasting an MLS Cup featuring a Canadian team.
    Pretty empty achievement when they're not covering MLS next year. It's not like TSN have ever worked hard to promote MLS.

The last thing they would have wanted in a fiasco-filled Grey Cup week in Toronto was to have TFC and Montreal alive and kicking with the sort of audiences they're getting on TV and fully paid up at Olympic Stadium and BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes this is something Naylor failed to mention the effect that TFC and Montreal still alive in the playoffs has had on the Grey Cup in Toronto, I'm sure the CFL was keeping a close eye on the MLS playoffs hoping at the very least that Toronto would not have advanced this far. Now BMO is not even allowing the teams to practice at BMO or even host any on field media conferences until just the day before on Saturday. I'm sure if there was no MLS game on Wednesday they would have had more on field access by both teams and media at BMO, now teams are practicing a holding media conferences at an indoor soccer domed field in the eastern part of Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see the rating for this game. I think it's going to be big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    It will be interesting to see the rating for this game. I think it's going to be big.
    I think so too. Anecdotally I know a bunch of people who don't watch soccer that watched on tv since they knew I was going to the game and I kept talking about this amazing playoff run at work. They all thought it was fantastic. One of my coworkers who is a Raptors fanatic said she watched more of the TFC game than the Raps last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    I think so too. Anecdotally I know a bunch of people who don't watch soccer that watched on tv since they knew I was going to the game and I kept talking about this amazing playoff run at work. They all thought it was fantastic. One of my coworkers who is a Raptors fanatic said she watched more of the TFC game than the Raps last night.
    I had a similar experience. I drop my girl off at school every morning, wearing my TFC cap as I do. I never see any TFC gear on the other parents apart from one other dad who I know is a fan.

This morning though, several parents who have previously shown zero interest in the game or TFC itself, approached me and said what a great game they watched last night and did so with genuine enthusiasm and excitement. Awareness of the final is also seemingly very high.

Anecdotal evidence again, but I'm eager to see the numbers...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

typically, what is the time frame for these sort of stats to come out?
    very eager to see what the numbers look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    For record-breaking or big event broadcasts, TSN puts out a press release the day after. So, today at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    It was 5:30 the day after the first leg when Bell made their press release so i'd wager the same or tomorrow morning for last nights figures.