Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think the Whitecaps hate Seattle a little more than us. Must be a tough decision for them!
    Cascadia rival since the original NASL days. The Whitcaps feel about us like we feel about Columbus, but they feel about Seattle like we feel about Montreal. It's not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Did another check of our google search results since Day 1, this month has hit the stratosphere as our highest number of searches in our history (more than even the big numbers we drew during our first 3 seasons):

https://www.google.ca/trends/explore...q=Toronto%20fc
    we have fans in Kenya?
    I think I found the source of that
    http://www.tfc.co.ke/

And this data supports what I have always thought

the suburbs of north and west and are where the most interest is coming from.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 12-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV ratings will be interesting Saturday night.

Up here in Canada between RDS's numbers likely dropping at least 50% and with the game up against sports ratings leader Hockey Night In Canada with the Leafs, Habs and Canucks all playing from 7PM - 10PM and with a separate FOX telecast of the soccer game people can watch and not be counted in the ratings - I have no idea what to expect.

South of the border - being on Network television, in Prime time with no College or NFL Football competition - but with one Canadian local market that doesn't provide a local spike for FOX ratings - it again will be interesting to see what numbers they hit down there.

Because of all the variables both sides of the border - some good, some bad - I just have no idea what to expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    TV ratings will be interesting Saturday night.

Up here in Canada between RDS's numbers likely dropping at least 50% and with the game up against sports ratings leader Hockey Night In Canada with the Leafs, Habs and Canucks all playing from 7PM - 10PM and with a separate FOX telecast of the soccer game people can watch and not be counted in the ratings - I have no idea what to expect.

South of the border - being on Network television, in Prime time with no College or NFL Football competition - but with one Canadian local market that doesn't provide a local spike for FOX ratings - it again will be interesting to see what numbers they hit down there.

Because of all the variables both sides of the border - some good, some bad - I just have no idea what to expect.
    Definitely a HUGE amount of buzz locally in Toronto, but nationally I'm not sure. It'll get great TV ratings in Ontario, but elsewhere (especially Quebec) I'm guessing not so much. Should still get a good U.S. market though, especially with a lot of USMNT talent on display.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone see numbers for the final yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.4m in the US on Fox. Nothing on Canada or the Spanish numbers for Univision yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    1.4m in the US on Fox. Nothing on Canada or the Spanish numbers for Univision yet.
    The biggest problem with the Canadian number will be those who watched on Fox will not be counted.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    anyone see numbers for the final yet?
    surprised that TSN didn't put out something on sunday or monday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The biggest problem with the Canadian number will be those who watched on Fox will not be counted.
    I was thinking that exact same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fox viewers won't be the biggest problem. The causal fan wouldn't be even aware it was on FOX since no playoffs were shown there. And FOX actually shows more Bundesliga matches than MLS on network tv.

Second, FOX production was so-so especially in terms of audio as it was very muted. The dull match was even more dull on FOX. They also missed the final penalty kick because the director was still showing a close up of Torres. They also cut away early and missed most of the celebrations and part of the trophy presentations.

While I'm not a big fan of having a TFC employee doing game analyst work, Friedel isn't much of an improvement over Caldwell. They also focused a lot on the American players. Strong kept on getting excited the ball was coming to Jozy when it was actually Ricketts. Their half time analysts are more entertaining than TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Fox viewers won't be the biggest problem. The causal fan wouldn't be even aware it was on FOX since no playoffs were shown there. And FOX actually shows more Bundesliga matches than MLS on network tv.

Second, FOX production was so-so especially in terms of audio as it was very muted. The dull match was even more dull on FOX. They also missed the final penalty kick because the director was still showing a close up of Torres. They also cut away early and missed most of the celebrations and part of the trophy presentations.

While I'm not a big fan of having a TFC employee doing game analyst work, Friedel isn't much of an improvement over Caldwell. They also focused a lot on the American players. Strong kept on getting excited the ball was coming to Jozy when it was actually Ricketts. Their half time analysts are more entertaining than TSN.
    i doubt many here were watching on FOX 1) i am avid fan and i didn't even know it was US network televison (ie. assumed ESPN or fox1) until day after; 2) why would anyone watch the visitors broadcast rather than home(r) broadcast.

personally i can't stand US broadcasts ... feel like punching alexi lalas in the face everytime he shows up on tv (usually the allstar game)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arash Madani on PTS earlier mentioned that the number was 1.2million on TSN - not including the RDS numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the game 1,430,000 average on TSN and 92,000 on RDS peaking at 2.7 million viewers during the PK's with 4.2 million having watched at least a part of the game.

The game had a 35% share of TV's turned on in the Toronto market.
    Last edited by TravelPat; 12-13-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible ratings. Too bad Seattle played a boring bunker game that probably made it seem really crappy to new viewers. The Montreal matches on the other hand were a great demonstration for the sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tis pity. This game would have had a lot of new viewers, some trying to give TFC a chance, and other soccer fans that are giving MLS a chance. This game was probably not the greatest to win over either. The stereotype of soccer is that of a boring scoreless game that ends in a tie. Mission accomplished. The stereotype of those that prefer Euro soccer to MLS is that MLS lacks skill. Perhaps weather induced, but mission accomplished there as well. A team that didn't take a single shot on net somehow wins a league championship?-what the hell is going on??

I would have to guess that Garber is happy as anything that Seattle won, but must be grinding his teeth about all of the above. Very unfortunate showcase. Hopefully the atmosphere was enough to bring in new fans to the park next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Tis pity. This game would have had a lot of new viewers, some trying to give TFC a chance, and other soccer fans that are giving MLS a chance. This game was probably not the greatest to win over either. The stereotype of soccer is that of a boring scoreless game that ends in a tie. Mission accomplished. The stereotype of those that prefer Euro soccer to MLS is that MLS lacks skill. Perhaps weather induced, but mission accomplished there as well. A team that didn't take a single shot on net somehow wins a league championship?-what the hell is going on??

I would have to guess that Garber is happy as anything that Seattle won, but must be grinding his teeth about all of the above. Very unfortunate showcase. Hopefully the atmosphere was enough to bring in new fans to the park next year.
    To that I say who cares, we don't need new fans, we have plenty already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^interesting opinion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    We have enough fans in the stands (at least in Toronto & a few other cities). Although we could also use more regular attendance throughout the year. We definitely don't have enough viewership for the league, both in Canada & the US. Long term that massively affects how much teams can spend on players & everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what the long term implications for TFC are, but getting 35% share in Toronto will become a permanent bullet point in every presentation MLS does for sponsors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I'm not sure what the long term implications for TFC are, but getting 35% share in Toronto will become a permanent bullet point in every presentation MLS does for sponsors.
    A lot of people at my work who don't normally care about football have come to me today to talk about it. Really great to see for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These numbers are impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    If you're happy for this league to forever be at the level it is now, that's a perfectly valid opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what's cooler than selling out a 30,000 seat stadium on the regular? Selling out a 50,000 seat stadium...or a 100,000 seat stadium. We can never have enough fans...we came this far in only 10 years when everyone said we'd be lucky to get 5,000 regulars. You think we can't pull off those kinds of numbers in a nother 20 years? Shoot for the moon I say!

Last edited by mistercorporate; 12-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit early in the day to be hitting the pipe, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    You know what's cooler than selling out a 30,000 seat stadium on the regular? Selling out a 50,000 seat stadium...or a 100,000 seat stadium. We can never have enough fans...we came this far in only 10 years when everyone said we'd be lucky to get 5,000 regulars. You think we can't pull off those kinds of numbers in a nother 20 years? Shoot for the moon I say!

Hopefully one day, we can sell out the Camp Nou on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    It's a bit early in the day to be hitting the pipe, no?
    I don't hit the pipe, I lay the pipe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a gig in a bar in Guelph and everyone there was into watching the game. The opening band delayed going on until after the shootout.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    These numbers are impressive.

Impressive indeed. The best ever numbers posted on either side of the border.

TSN must be gutted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    For the game 1,430,000 average on TSN and 92,000 on RDS peaking at 2.7 million viewers during the PK's with 4.2 million having watched at least a part of the game.

The game had a 35% share of TV's turned on in the Toronto market.
    35% share of GTA TV market is very impressive number.

I am sure TSN/Bell feel stupid losing Canadian MLS TV rights that will attract a lot of sponsors since it's much younger demo compare to their biggest TV program (CFL).

CBC are probably laughing hard right now and can't believe they got MLS rights for cheap.