Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    NYC won 4–3, but I agree with the three points being on the table for us. Do you one better: I'm feeling a 3–1 scoreline for the good guys, at the whistle.

This always feels forced, unless in a tribute thread/banner or coming from a colour-commentator.
    Still, admire your passion!

My thoughts, exactly, with Chapman and Delgado coming on for the two, respectively (unless the latter starts in place of Lovitz).

This is incredible, really.
    TFC should appeal him being able to play. There's video of him slapping another player in the box, and that is enough for a fine, but not a suspension? A fine for a yellow card offence? A yellow card offence in thebox that is missed by three officials?

More MLS/PRO hijinks.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    NYC won 4–3, but I agree with the three points being on the table for us. Do you one better: I'm feeling a 3–1 scoreline for the good guys, at the whistle.
    Bah! Slip of the typing finger on my part. And you could totally be right about the result. Oso, Bradley, even Endoh could be a threat to NYCFC's back line unless they really recover themselves from last weekend.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    So if Altidore is healthy...

Giovinco-------Altidore----------Endoh

Osorio---------Bradley---------Johnson

Morrow---Moor---Perquis---Beitashour

-----------------Irwin--------------------

That's a strong lineup.
    1 player really makes a HUGE difference. Can't believe some people are okay with Lovitz starting in Altidore's absence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    1 player really makes a HUGE difference. Can't believe some people are okay with Lovitz starting in Altidore's absence.
    well it can't make that big of a difference, seeing as we pulled it off against the reigning shield winners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then... Lovitz ruled out after suffering concussion-like symptoms in training: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/11...of-nycfc-clash

My guess is Vanney wants to keep the same midfield three, I doubt we see Osorio move up. I would guess it's either Delgado or Babouli that starts at LW now. Delgado probably has the edge but it depends on whether Vanney thinks he can play as well on the left as he can on the right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado should be fine, inverted wingers should be preferred on a pitch like Yankee Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    Delgado should be fine, inverted wingers should be preferred on a pitch like Yankee Stadium.
    Isn't Babouli an inside winger as well? Or is he left footed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Isn't Babouli an inside winger as well? Or is he left footed?
    Babouli is right footed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Babouli is right footed
    Gotcha, so the difference between Marky and Babouli comes down to pace then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado is more defensively responsible and effective, and also more experienced at this level. If Vanney wants just as much defensive effort for this game I suspect he starts Delgado (both he and Endoh will put in a real shift defensively). With the smaller pitch and less space, and that Delgado isn't as good on the left, maybe Babouli does get the start though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Delgado is more defensively responsible and effective, and also more experienced at this level. If Vanney wants just as much defensive effort for this game I suspect he starts Delgado (both he and Endoh will put in a real shift defensively). With the smaller pitch and less space, and that Delgado isn't as good on the left, maybe Babouli does get the start though.
    Or maybe the smaller pitch allows him to play Cheyrou in the middle of the park (less running for Benoit) and move Oso to the wing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Babouli could be used as a late game sub if we need pace on the wings. Morgan (who was subbed in at left wing last week) is also an option if you really want to bunker down defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or maybe the smaller pitch allows him to play Cheyrou in the middle of the park (less running for Benoit) and move Oso to the wing
    This. You want players with vision and high IQs to make the most of that ugly backyard of a pitch.

So is this the weekend the new kits are introduced? Obviously the red is the better fit against light blue but you know they are just aching to show off the whites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    well it can't make that big of a difference, seeing as we pulled it off against the reigning shield winners.
    We won't win playing like that 2 weeks in a row. We were terrible... We stole a win. Just like we did against Seattle 2 years ago with Defoe in the opening game.

We should not be content with that game. Possession was 63 - 37 New York. They dominated us all game. Midfield was terrible. Link up play was terrible.

We had one great run and a friendly foul in the box on Endoh. Giovinco converts and we win.

Our second goal was because New York was pressing hard in the last 10 minutes.

Be happy with the result, not the performance.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less space/ground to cover, sure, but I find that a small pitch almost always results in a fast paced, back and forth game that favours the quicker/high energy players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I agree but for different reasons.

It was a tactical decision to play on the counter but for me if you have the highest payroll in the league you should be imposing your game on others.

I get it was the first game but I want to see us flex our muscle against everyone no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won't win playing like that 2 weeks in a row. We were terrible... We stole a win. Just like we did against Seattle 2 years ago with Defoe in the opening game.

We should not be content with that game. Possession was 63 - 37 New York. They dominated us all game. Midfield was terrible. Link up play was terrible.

We had one great run and a friendly foul in the box on Endoh. Giovinco converts and we win.

play Delgado please
    We had 5 shots on target, plus we hit the post, compared to their one shot on target. We wore them down and then hit them on the break twice, a standout away performance.

Do you really think possession is an indicator of who played better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. We were outplayed for most of the game and lucky to come out with 3 points.

Hope to see better performance vs ny.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    We had 5 shots on target, plus we hit the post, compared to their one shot on target. We wore them down and then hit them on the break twice, a standout away performance.

Do you really think possession is an indicator of who played better?
    This. They did exactly what they tactically set out to do in a road game in MLS, which we already know is a 2/3 losing proposition. They absolutely were not terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play Delgado please
    I was very happy with the performance, it's one thing if we were trying to play a possession kind of game but we very clearly weren't, I thought we played a very successful counter attacking, defensive and high pressure game

And btw there is nothing wrong with the way we played at the beginning of 2014, it's a legitimate style

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

It was a tactical decision to play on the counter but for me if you have the highest payroll in the league you should be imposing your game on others.

I get it was the first game but I want to see us flex our muscle against everyone no matter what.
    highest payroll suggests TFC has best player in all positions. or something close to it.

reality is TFC has the best player in the league, but the rest of starting 10 is not. MLS parity rules *shrug*
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a quick MLS live question, may not be able to watch this game as it happens, so I'm thinking of signing up for a month of MLS live just to get the on demand of the game. Does anyone know how soon after full time the game goes up, if it's possible to play it without finding spoilers (mlssoccer.com highlights section is very annoying for this) and if it works via chromecast?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The day we go to the defending supporter's shield home, the team with the most potent offence in the league, who schooled us there last year with a style we could not handle, and expect to impose our will is the day when we don't have to go do things like that again.

i.e. When we are the feared team.

That day has not arrived yet.

We are not feared yet. The lag from our past is still around the league - everybody looks at those last two games against Montreal and thinks we are defensive push overs. For Pete's sake, there are NYCFC people who think they are going to waltz through our defence again, cause that's what TFC is - porous defence. Until we have 8 games of solid away defensive displays, we should be in no position to feel we should impose our will when on the road.

We are in a good position to get points here. BUT, impose our will? In that bandbox? Nope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

baffled by a sunday game again... Looks like I'll just have to drink again tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were not terrible. Is there room for improvement? Without question.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admirable, but rather naive. TFC had a plan to stop the Red Bulls attack, and executed to perfection.

If that means conceding possession and springing a counter when the Red Bulls line press high, so be it. In the end, shots on goal/target is the better indicator of attacking threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the plan worked, but hardly perfection. Room for improvement certainly.

Edit: what Thomas said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All our payroll suggests (especially in a salary capped league with DP exemptions), is that we have a few players making a ton of money.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play Delgado please
    We played a classic counter-attacking road game - low possession, turtling defensively to prevent scoring chances, and then catching them on fast breaks. The foul on Endoh was fortunate, but also at least partially forced by us putting the defender on his heels like that. And then we got the second goal when they were forced to press late, instead of our defense buckling for a late goal like every other TFC team in history would have done.

It was by no means an aces performance, but it was also the first game of the season; we limited them to one shot on target, a clean sheet, and stole three points on the road, from the Shield winners. We can get better, but it wasn't even close to a poor performance.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Lovitz is out with a concussion. Maybe we'll see Mo upfront.