Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 2 - Let Us Root, Root, Root for the Reds - TFC @ NYCFC Sun March 13 5 pm

Game on ESPN 2 and Sportsnet 1 - Blacked out on MLS Live

Bandbox soccer returns. NYCFC defence suspect but offence is very good. I'm thinking we got a chance here to grab a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the highlights from NYC - CHI and man, I think 4 goals for really flatters NYC. Chicago looked absolutely pathetic defensively. NYC weren't really anything to write home about in that category either.

This one is winnable for sure. We should be able to pose a more consistent threat offensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we play with the same level of intensity defensively, we should be able to limit their offensive opportunities. We need to step up our possession and sustained offensive pressure to come away with a result again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC did not look good today. They only won because it was Chicago, and their GK had an awful game.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I worry about NYCFC at home is that fact that the teams make 2-3 passes and can quickly go box to box. NYCFC is used to this kind of confined play and I am sure know how to use the lack of space to their advantage. TFC seemed to have trouble with this when they played there last year. Hopefully TFC can get the job done though. Would be a great start to get a good result there and NYCFC are a beatable team for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Watching the highlights from NYC - CHI and man, I think 4 goals for really flatters NYC. Chicago looked absolutely pathetic defensively. NYC weren't really anything to write home about in that category either.

This one is winnable for sure. We should be able to pose a more consistent threat offensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    NYCFC did not look good today. They only won because it was Chicago, and their GK had an awful game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    The thing I worry about NYCFC at home is that fact that the teams make 2-3 passes and can quickly go box to box. NYCFC is used to this kind of confined play and I am sure know how to use the lack of space to their advantage. TFC seemed to have trouble with this when they played there last year. Hopefully TFC can get the job done though. Would be a great start to get a good result there and NYCFC are a beatable team for sure.
    My sons house league team could have scored 4 on Chicago today. You match any other team in the league up against NYCFC yesterday and they struggle for a point. Lampard is out for who knows how long and I think Bradley should be able to mark Pirlo well. Our speed will be our advantage and Yankee stadium this year I think. I'd like to see Mo up front for this game. I think he would be a better threat and drop Oso to where Lovitz was playing. I think we should take 3 next Sunday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I'd like to see Mo up front for this game. I think he would be a better threat and drop Oso to where Lovitz was playing. I think we should take 3 next Sunday.
    Lovitz was the left forward. Osorio was shuttling.

Assuming Jozy starts and Seba moves to the left, I think we bring in Cheyrou for Osorio.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-07-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeh, if the game is too open, they have enough creativity/quality to take advantage, as their goals-for show (also a high-scoring affair last we were there), especially on a smaller pitch, making it easier on the legs & lungs of their vets (fully capable of making one or two touches/passes to get up the pitch, and make the ball work for them).

I have every confidence, mind, in our defence, after that last game, and our offence started similarly, with glimpses (not particularly sharp), last year, as well… so, it should only get better. The size of the pitch favours a similar counter-attacking approach, as we took last time out.

Hoping to see more of Delgado and an appearance for Babouli and maybe a late sub for Cheyrou, to take the sting out of the game, as we look to pad our possession stats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those in the UK, this is live on sky sports at 9pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can contain NYFC offense I think TFC will try to play on the counter. We should not be underestimating these guys I believe they grabbed about 8 points from 9 form us last year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    If they can contain NYFC offense I think TFC will try to play on the counter. We should not be underestimating these guys I believe they grabbed about 8 points from 9 form us last year.
    How does that work? Mathematically? :P
    I think you mean 7 out of 9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine that high pressing style on that tiny Yankee Stadium pitch... We're going to destroy them, Pirlo and Villa are going to have play out of their skins to get anything by us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the Chicago condensed. Based on that one game, Viera seems highly idealistic, almost Winter-like and he had the same problems. He tried to play possession and out of the back consistently with CBs that are poor on the ball. We need to press high and stifle Pirlo. If we do that, I think we have a very good chance to get something out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A high press against their backline could work out well for us. Same game plan as employed against NYRB.. force them into tough passes through the pressure game and then move forward with a counterattack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if Altidore is healthy...

Giovinco-------Altidore----------Endoh

Osorio---------Bradley---------Johnson

Morrow---Moor---Perquis---Beitashour

-----------------Irwin--------------------

That's a strong lineup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

That's a strong lineup.

With Delgado, Cheyrou, Babouli and even Lovitz as the FWD/MID options off the bench looks pretty solid. Its when out bench will become our starters for a month (or more) thats when it may get a little worrisome.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a strong lineup.
    I prefer to see us in 4-2-3-1, keeping Gio in the middle where he's most dangerous as a free-roamer.

-------------------Altidore---------------

Osorio----------Giovinco----------Endoh

----------Bradley------Johnson----------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    I prefer to see us in 4-2-3-1, keeping Gio in the middle where he's most dangerous as a free-roamer.

I like that as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a strong lineup.
    Agreed, and this looks like our current best eleven. I just wonder if, indeed, we'll see Altidore START against NYC; he'd be a great option off the bench, and would be well fired up to leave his mark, after watching the guys perform well, from the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Note game time is 5 pm EDT

Clocks go forward this weekend.
    Lovely; hour earlier for me, here… so, 10p, then.

Thanks for the heads up. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    With Delgado, Cheyrou, Babouli and even Lovitz as the FWD/MID options off the bench looks pretty solid. Its when out bench will become our starters for a month (or more) thats when it may get a little worrisome.
    Oh, wow—classy avatar, bro! Where does one find such style?! #GreatMinds

I think we're seeing that we've some decent depth; we have done for the last couple years, but it's steadily improved, for me (Cheyrou to come on and take the sting out of games, for example).

You look at us offloading Gomez, Warner and Moore—all decent options, but lacking the hunger our youth brings; there was a certain complacency about them, seemingly content in second-stringer roles. I think, especially with the new adds, the kids are getting exposed to a proper professional environment in which to develop and are witnessing, first hand, the increase in compete levels and quality. This, and their natural hunger should see them do well, the odd slip/mistake notwithstanding.

Must also help knowing they will have their chance, during such difficult stretches in the schedule, and that Vanney has shown he will work them in (with injuries & suspensions to cover for).

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post

This is probably my favourite line-up and formation, currently. Again, just a question whether Altidore will start (can't play this way, otherwise); maybe he just gets 60 minutes or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a strong lineup.
    1 player really makes a HUGE difference. Can't believe some people are okay with Lovitz starting in Altidore's absence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    1 player really makes a HUGE difference. Can't believe some people are okay with Lovitz starting in Altidore's absence.
    well it can't make that big of a difference, seeing as we pulled it off against the reigning shield winners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    well it can't make that big of a difference, seeing as we pulled it off against the reigning shield winners.
    We won't win playing like that 2 weeks in a row. We were terrible... We stole a win. Just like we did against Seattle 2 years ago with Defoe in the opening game.

We should not be content with that game. Possession was 63 - 37 New York. They dominated us all game. Midfield was terrible. Link up play was terrible.

We had one great run and a friendly foul in the box on Endoh. Giovinco converts and we win.

Our second goal was because New York was pressing hard in the last 10 minutes.

Be happy with the result, not the performance.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won't win playing like that 2 weeks in a row. We were terrible... We stole a win. Just like we did against Seattle 2 years ago with Defoe in the opening game.

We should not be content with that game. Possession was 63 - 37 New York. They dominated us all game. Midfield was terrible. Link up play was terrible.

We had one great run and a friendly foul in the box on Endoh. Giovinco converts and we win.

play Delgado please
    We had 5 shots on target, plus we hit the post, compared to their one shot on target. We wore them down and then hit them on the break twice, a standout away performance.

Do you really think possession is an indicator of who played better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. We were outplayed for most of the game and lucky to come out with 3 points.

Hope to see better performance vs ny.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were not terrible. Is there room for improvement? Without question.

play Delgado please

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play Delgado please
    We played a classic counter-attacking road game - low possession, turtling defensively to prevent scoring chances, and then catching them on fast breaks. The foul on Endoh was fortunate, but also at least partially forced by us putting the defender on his heels like that. And then we got the second goal when they were forced to press late, instead of our defense buckling for a late goal like every other TFC team in history would have done.

It was by no means an aces performance, but it was also the first game of the season; we limited them to one shot on target, a clean sheet, and stole three points on the road, from the Shield winners. We can get better, but it wasn't even close to a poor performance.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note game time is 5 pm EDT

Clocks go forward this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradley has another strong (and more importantly smart) game at DM we should be fine. The first 2 goals against Chicago New York was allowed to stroll up to the backline. I imagine Pirlo will be annoyed by WJ after 90 minutes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pirlo looked slooooowwww against Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The defense looked solid, no Earth shattering brain mistakes, just solid. WOW I cant believe I said that about a TFC defense.

I would give Morgan a run in place of Lovitz, he has game experience, can dribble up the pitch fast, and can put in a decent cross.