Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the past i would have believed our FO would have released a player in a position we need within the league and paid a significant amount of his salary. This time around, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His legs will be crocked after 13 weeks of playing in Seattle. I'm not too worried about July 2nd.

I am however a bit disturbed by the prospect that we're picking up a chunk of his salary while needing someone with his skill set right fucking now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    This is more MLS's fault because they negotiated a contract that ran out in June. Not really TFC's fault to try and renegotiate.
    I wonder if MLS just bought his Liga MX contract and that's why it ended in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/24...abruptly-ended

Good stuff from Larson. Gomez said he was asked to take a pay cut, but it was too much for him to take in order for us to get him on the team and still be under the cap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez was signed in case Altidore didn't come back from his Fall injury and with the assumption that Moore would have a deal and not have to be just released with the resulting cap hit.

Turns out neither occurred.

That's on Bez.

In the end, are we better off now attack wise then we were in the Fall? I think so but a lot is going to ride on a lot of young forwards.

What sucks is the cap space used up with those 2. Again, that is on Bez.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-24-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The thinking behind some of these transactions uses a form of logic that I just can't grasp. I understand the motivation for moving HG out was to open a space but why the hell would you agree to eat his wage bill? Maybe since they are compliant right now (or close enough for apparently loose cap enforcement by MLSHQ) it didn't matter? IDK.

Exactly. If you're eating his salary.... why not keep the player?!? We need a backup striker to Jozy so why get rid of Moore, Findley AND Gomez AND eat some of their salaries?!? Gomez was/is a quality backup striker in this league and looked the part.

Really bizarre.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Herc drops the hammer
    good for him ! For whatever reason he was screwed here . I'll be rooting for him , he was ALWAYS positive , a team player .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/24...abruptly-ended

Good stuff from Larson. Gomez said he was asked to take a pay cut, but it was too much for him to take in order for us to get him on the team and still be under the cap.
    ask Bradley the same question ....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I remember he use to kill us during CCL. so he's going to score a hat trick on 2 Jul
    Every ex-TFC player does. You can bet your mortgage on it. This is a sign to me that the old TFC is still lingering around. Sign a guy for a third of season..barely give him a chance and then drop him because now we can't afford him? I hate this aspect of MLS and TFc players that are rentals for half a dozen games - it is no way to develop a solid team. We are one bad injury away from being cannon fodder the team has almost no depth at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is obviously a TFC side to the story as to why they would cut him in favour of a rookie, given that the cap hit is there either way. It is pretty weird.

Management really hurt the guy by putting him on the street when we did. Most players can't catch on once the season has begun.

He is lucky, and obviously sufficient quality to overcome it, and I am glad for him.

Criticism of tactics and personnel decisions are verboten around here these days, but I wonder how we'd have looked with Gomez playing striker alongside or in front of Gio.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the prob is we hardly ever hear from BEZ so who knows what is going on..and it seems we are playing not to lose on this road trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC loans goalkeeper Alex Bono, defender Mark Bloom, midfielder Chris Mannella and forward Mo Babouli to Toronto FC II. #TFC

wtf? Babouli? Thought he did great with the first team and was excited for him to take a bigger role.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Toronto FC loans goalkeeper Alex Bono, defender Mark Bloom, midfielder Chris Mannella and forward Mo Babouli to Toronto FC II. #TFC

wtf? Babouli? Thought he did great with the first team and was excited for him to take a bigger role.
    Nothing to be worried about , with TFC on a bye week and the Toonies opening up their season tomorrow afternoon at the Red Bulls 2 just a way to get him a good run out.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the prob is we hardly ever hear from BEZ so who knows what is going on..and it seems we are playing not to lose on this road trip.
    Yeah it'd be nice to hear from him every now and then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More on the Gomez situation from Davidson: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...453/story.html

A Toronto spokesman said Gomez's move to Seattle will give his former team "minimal" salary cap relief. The Seattle Times reported that Toronto will be paying a "significant chunk" of his salary.

Gomez, whose 2015 salary was listed at US$261,000 by the MLS Players Union, had a contract that runs through June 2016.

Parting ways with Gomez did help Toronto's accounting in one way, however.

The club is spreading its salary cap cost over 18 players rather than 20, as permitted by Major League Soccer. Getting Gomez off the books allowed the team to shift another player into the 18 while opening a spot on its supplemental roster, which covers players 21 through 28 for young forward Mo Babouli.
    So if I'm reading this right, we moved Gomez, opening a slot for a player to count against the cap. We move a player off our supplemental roster into that slot (presumably one with less of a cap hit than Gomez), which opens a slot on the supplemental roster for Babouli. So that "minimal" salary cap relief should be the difference between Gomez's salary and whichever player we now have counting against the cap in his place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    More on the Gomez situation from Davidson: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...453/story.html

So if I'm reading this right, we moved Gomez, opening a slot for a player to count against the cap. We move a player off our supplemental roster into that slot (presumably one with less of a cap hit than Gomez), which opens a slot on the supplemental roster for Babouli. So that "minimal" salary cap relief should be the difference between Gomez's salary and whichever player we now have counting against the cap in his place.
    is it just me or does that last paragraph no make much sense? If TFC is eating a portion of his salary, what difference does it make if it's spread out across 18 players or 20? Aside from the physical player being moved, the cap hit is still there... Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    is it just me or does that last paragraph no make much sense? If TFC is eating a portion of his salary, what difference does it make if it's spread out across 18 players or 20? Aside from the physical player being moved, the cap hit is still there... Am I missing something?
    im with ya, but am chalking it up to MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think we have to bear Gomez's cap hit anymore, I think his hit has been replaced with whoever we moved from the supplemental roster to the 18 player roster. That seems to be what is suggested.

Since Gomez's contract is odd and ends in June, I've seen it suggested that we're paying his salary until June, then the Sounders will extend it (or already have) and pay him for the rest of the season. We could still be on the hook for his salary, even though he's no longer part of our cap, because he was waived but we burned our free buy-out on Kantari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is obviously a TFC side to the story as to why they would cut him in favour of a rookie, given that the cap hit is there either way. It is pretty weird.

Management really hurt the guy by putting him on the street when we did. Most players can't catch on once the season has begun.

He is lucky, and obviously sufficient quality to overcome it, and I am glad for him.

Criticism of tactics and personnel decisions are verboten around here these days, but I wonder how we'd have looked with Gomez playing striker alongside or in front of Gio.
    Im with you. I really enjoy watching Jozy, but I think they could have got value for Jozy ie a winger and funny money, kept Gomez, been a better team and fit under the cap. There is something that does not quite make sense here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Im with you. I really enjoy watching Jozy, but I think they could have got value for Jozy ie a winger and funny money, kept Gomez, been a better team and fit under the cap. There is something that does not quite make sense here.
    I think you need a DP striker to be successful in this league so I'd rather Altidore than a winger that is unless the FO would consider playing Seba up top permanently

My dream would be Seba and Nani in the same side, that would be so much fun
    Last edited by portu; 03-25-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani hasn't been good for 5 years now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It had to be a question of either/or. I don't know the answer but I suspect Mo would be gone if it wasn't Herc.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think you need a DP striker to be successful in this league so I'd rather Altidore than a winger that is unless the FO would consider playing Seba up top permanently

My dream would be Seba and Nani in the same side, that would be so much fun

Agreed, but Herc ( and for that matter Luke Moore as well ) combined with Sena better than Jozy. Hopefully that changes but it's a bit like Benteke not quite working at Liverpool, not exactly, but we need a highly skilled player who Seba can play off and who will have a high work rate defensively. Herc fits that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agreed, but Herc ( and for that matter Luke Moore as well ) combined with Sena better than Jozy. Hopefully that changes but it's a bit like Benteke not quite working at Liverpool, not exactly, but we need a highly skilled player who Seba can play off and who will have a high work rate defensively. Herc fits that.
    No he doesnt. Herc is 34, so unlikely to be able to carry the heavy load of the role that you're describing. On the other hand, Jozy has been talking about how he's redefined his role for us in the off season as being exactly what you describe - A channel running bruiser. I would have prefered still having one of them on the team, but the notion that either Herc or Moore could last a whole season as the starting CF for a team with aspirations such as ours is kind of far fetched.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 03-25-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Nani hasn't been good for 5 years now.
    Neither was Seba give or take a year or two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice Ryan Johnson has signed with Rayo OKC of the NASL. That team is stacked. Might not be long before MLS and NASL have a real fight on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I notice Ryan Johnson has signed with Rayo OKC of the NASL. That team is stacked. Might not be long before MLS and NASL have a real fight on.
    But they're signing old cast offs and even older Euro players. When they develop anyone of note, then I'll take notice. Development over signings on this continent to show progress for the time being. But they are improving the standard with old vets like MLS 2.0 did. I give them that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    A team with Robbie Findley stacked?? C'mon man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will have to worry about the NASL when players go to the NASL despite MLS teams wanting them. Until that happens, they'll remain a step behind MLS. Though I think NASL's D2 status might be hurting them as much as anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    A team with Robbie Findley stacked?? C'mon man.
    and Ryan Johnson, to my knowledge, score in K League Div 2. That's like, PDL level.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano