Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Probably has something to do with the fact that he is shit along with wanted to much money to play in MLS.
    I would've taken him for Casey in '07 though. But...Mo.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I would've taken him for Casey in '07 though. But...Mo.
    Maybe then due to what we had but I always viewed him as a scrub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I'm wondering if TFC enquired about Georgios Samaras or any other MLS team I mean how much could he have been asking if he signed for an NASL team?
    I remember we inquired about him during the Nelsen era.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe then due to what we had but I always viewed him as a scrub.
    He was making a go of it at the time. THAT time it made sense, this time was like an old home party with his US National buddies (Findley was on that Colorado team, too)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably has something to do with the fact that he is shit along with wanting to much money to play in MLS.
    I don't think he's that bad, but I also don't think he's any better than Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Countdown to Altidore hamstring injury #2...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief. Between the USMNT callups and the injuries I really question whether this can go on.

For the money we are paying we could easily pry another Piatti out of South America and have zero concerns about missing time for NT games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Good grief. Between the USMNT callups and the injuries I really question whether this can go on.

For the money we are paying we could easily pry another Piatti out of South America and have zero concerns about missing time for NT games.
    Luckily after the Sporting KC game we have a bye week so Jozy wont be missing any TFC games. But I do question if his hamstring can hold up. But you also do make a good point, thats a lot of money for someone who misses a lot of club games, but its what we had to do to get rid of Defoe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until he plays for a bit for the team that pays his salary their shouldn't be any international call ups. They need to put something in future DP contracts. He seems to be good for USMNT duty most of the time but TFC time is questionable. He better stay healthy for a bit this time...but I am not holding my breath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Luckily after the Sporting KC game we have a bye week so Jozy wont be missing any TFC games. But I do question if his hamstring can hold up. But you also do make a good point, thats a lot of money for someone who misses a lot of club games, but its what we had to do to get rid of Defoe.
    If the FO was smart in the Defoe situation they would have sold him in the summer of 2014 instead of waiting it out hoping we could salvage playoffs

I can imagine there's a market for Jozy remember he turned down a shit ton of clubs to come here but no moves should be made on the Jozy front without having a surefire replacement lined up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If the FO was smart in the Defoe situation they would have sold him in the summer of 2014 instead of waiting it out hoping we could salvage playoffs

I can imagine there's a market for Jozy remember he turned down a shit ton of clubs to come here but no moves should be made on the Jozy front without having a surefire replacement lined up
    That would be smart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Until he plays for a bit for the team that pays his salary their shouldn't be any international call ups. They need to put something in future DP contracts. He seems to be good for USMNT duty most of the time but TFC time is questionable. He better stay healthy for a bit this time...but I am not holding my breath.
    But then you get into that question of Club or Country. In this day and age the playing for Country pride and all that shit is a Myth.
    You have to perform and work hard for the job you are getting paid for first(Club), the other stuff (Country) is extracurricular
    Just an honest opinion

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they tried to sell him, but no one was willing to pony up enough cash. Given MLS cap rules, a trade passes uncovered costs onto the Jozy contract rather than leaves us with unusable cap wastage. Any straight sale for less than what TFC paid would leave a cap amount uncovered.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    But then you get into that question of Club or Country. In this day and age the playing for Country pride and all that shit is a Myth.
    You have to perform and work hard for the job you are getting paid for first(Club), the other stuff (Country) is extracurricular
    Just an honest opinion
    Jaded, and honest. If you want take a different angle that may or may not be considered so jaded: Players use Country as a stepping stone to a better club. A shop window for their talents on a larger level of exposure.

But that's not how I treat it. The best of them know what it means to us and appreciated at the same time. The best of them don't use it as just another tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lot of these guys have endorsement deals driven by national team profiles and get a stipend from their countries for playing. It's not as altruistic as it sounds at first glance.

The transfer market is another element as well. National team appearances are often a criteria used to justify work permits. And just wait and see who is the over-priced hype coming out of the next euros. Your very own Milan Baros awaits the lucky buyer.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-18-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lot of these guys have endorsement deals driven by national team profiles and get a stipend from their countries for playing. It's not as altruistic as it sounds at first glance.

The transfer market is another element as well. National team appearances are often a criteria used to justify work permits. And just wait and see who is the over-priced hype coming out of the next euros. Your very own Milan Baros awaits the lucky buyer.
    I think these are all fair points. But staying away from the country vs club debate -- from a team construct perspective national team commitment is absolutely something to consider when signing a DP. Having two DPs from the US, who by far have the most interruptions in the MLS schedule, is not the most efficient way to spend that large of a percentage of our cap. Adding Jozy's injury issues and it is absolutely ridiculous how few games we'll get from him this season.

I think that is reason enough to look to replace him. Bradley - one on that team is fine and the guy can take the extra workload and abuse.

And I agree - Jozy's should get healthy and play for TFC before running off to the national team right now - he's under too much pressure and risks pushing himself too much with Klinsman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    I think these are all fair points. But staying away from the country vs club debate -- from a team construct perspective national team commitment is absolutely something to consider when signing a DP. Having two DPs from the US, who by far have the most interruptions in the MLS schedule, is not the most efficient way to spend that large of a percentage of our cap. Adding Jozy's injury issues and it is absolutely ridiculous how few games we'll get from him this season.

I think that is reason enough to look to replace him. Bradley - one on that team is fine and the guy can take the extra workload and abuse.

And I agree - Jozy's should get healthy and play for TFC before running off to the national team right now - he's under too much pressure and risks pushing himself too much with Klinsman.

Getting rid of a DP like that is extremely difficult though, especially with the wages Altidore is on.

I still think he is a beast though and his 13-goals last season is a good return.

The issue of international games affecting the club matches is a league problem and something that will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the USMNT had someone other than JK in charge I bet players would come out of their camps a lot healthier and this wouldn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ all said and done though, it's still extra games missed and wear-and-tear.

Someone made a good point above regarding this being a backdoor out of the Defoe deal rather than a signing we'd make under ideal circumstances. Certainly a fair point.

I still think some of the American teams would get excited about having him in the roster from time to time. He's a recognizable player and put up 10+ goals last year. I think that's something teams would gamble on, although I'd be skeptical if they are making the right decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Jaded, and honest. If you want take a different angle that may or may not be considered so jaded: Players use Country as a stepping stone to a better club. A shop window for their talents on a larger level of exposure.

But that's not how I treat it. The best of them know what it means to us and appreciated at the same time. The best of them don't use it as just another tool.
    True enough, I just don't like seeing injuries happen during friendlies and it happens so often, I think players are hesitant and overcautious and that is when injuries occur.
    And I honestly think Klinssmen is a complete arrogant ass. Now back on topic, sorry guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ all said and done though, it's still extra games missed and wear-and-tear.

Someone made a good point above regarding this being a backdoor out of the Defoe deal rather than a signing we'd make under ideal circumstances. Certainly a fair point.

I still think some of the American teams would get excited about having him in the roster from time to time. He's a recognizable player and put up 10+ goals last year. I think that's something teams would gamble on, although I'd be skeptical if they are making the right decision.
    I think it is right to suggest Jozy's contract would be hard to move. He isn't worth that money. Would have to be within MLS for that marketing perspective. Even if we don't get much of a return- I think we could lay him off on someone. Colorado and Chicago are absolute clown shows at the moment....

Altidore for Gilberto swap?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love how people talk about Altidore being injured then suggest a guy who is even more injury prone, just because he was here once.

(Yes, I saw the emoticon but his name has come up before)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Maybe they tried to sell him, but no one was willing to pony up enough cash. Given MLS cap rules, a trade passes uncovered costs onto the Jozy contract rather than leaves us with unusable cap wastage. Any straight sale for less than what TFC paid would leave a cap amount uncovered.
    They had a sale to an English team - Tim L said so in his exit interview. Stopped above him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    I think it is right to suggest Jozy's contract would be hard to move. He isn't worth that money. Would have to be within MLS for that marketing perspective. Even if we don't get much of a return- I think we could lay him off on someone. Colorado and Chicago are absolute clown shows at the moment....

Altidore for Gilberto swap?
    Only way I'd be okay with Altidore moving within the league is if we got Villa or Keane in return

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only way I'd be okay with Altidore moving within the league is if we got Villa or Keane in return
    Just give me the cap room.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just give me the cap room.
    $374K?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$374K?
    Well and the DP slot / salary off the books to be clear.

We can get a better player for that money in the market. Why bother trading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to quit abusing proven goalscorers who havent given us reason to demonize them (the way people bad mouthed defoe was pretty bad too, before they had any proof). Lets make Altidore feel welcome until he starts to suck, which he hasnt yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Jozy beong on our team, he is excellent in this league, is professional, and is a great personality. The photo of him after scoring the penalty against Vanouver in the season opener last year is priceless. My big concern is that the team has not figured out how to play 4-4-2 with him and Seba. It's not his fault, but we are almost better off by selling him, keeping Moore, and using the money to have the right players to play the outside midfielders in a four. Jozy is a great addition to the club. The question is, is he the right man to play with Seba?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I love Jozy beong on our team, he is excellent in this league, is professional, and is a great personality. The photo of him after scoring the penalty against Vanouver in the season opener last year is priceless. My big concern is that the team has not figured out how to play 4-4-2 with him and Seba. It's not his fault, but we are almost better off by selling him, keeping Moore, and using the money to have the right players to play the outside midfielders in a four. Jozy is a great addition to the club. The question is, is he the right man to play with Seba?
    you're right but, .......everyone is missing the point about Josie , he's an injury waiting to happen . Unfortunately ! His hammies will never be the same .....He's all heart and it's a shame . He won't give up but I simply don't see a full season from him .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana