Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2069
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the all time great TFC trivia question, no one ever gets it
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post

they fact that he had "1 bad season" doesn't change that he was a fringe player for both club and country.....he had his role on Juve which was to run at tired defenses and he played his role well.....though I agree with the bolded.....but in the end it was HIS choice to come to MLS.....
    The point I was trying to make was that just because he couldn't start for Juve, doesn't mean he wasn't a very good player and him destroying the MLS shows how shit the league is. Juve at that time, were in my books, a top 16 team, even though they stumbled in the group stage. Just because he couldn't start for them, people have this theory that he isn't good. That in my mind is a bunch of garbage, and he showed that he could be a top striker in Serie A and still should be getting called to the national team. Not as starter, but as he showed last year, a great option off the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    The point I was trying to make was that just because he couldn't start for Juve, doesn't mean he wasn't a very good player and him destroying the MLS shows how shit the league is. Juve at that time, were in my books, a top 16 team, even though they stumbled in the group stage. Just because he couldn't start for them, people have this theory that he isn't good. That in my mind is a bunch of garbage, and he showed that he could be a top striker in Serie A and still should be getting called to the national team. Not as starter, but as he showed last year, a great option off the bench.
    oh I don't disagree with that at all....in fact as some one who sounds like they follow(ed) Serie A, you should know that many of the taking heads there years back were calling him the "next one"....Giovinco was supposed to be the guy for Juve who took the torch from Del Piero, but for some reason it never happened. He's not garbage at all, but the fact is that he was a substitute for club and country before he came here.....skill was never a question, size maybe.....imo his size doesn't affect him as much in MLS because with the background that he has, he's always thinking ahead of the defender, so he can work around it.....but against world class defending, it may not be the same story...

I just bring up the point that he was a sub, because the way I read people's opinions in the summer before the Euros and again now, I'm thinking people who may have not paid attention to him or Serie A before look at his resume and assume he was a top player, when its not the case.....he was very hyped as a young player, but kinda settled into the "not elite, but better than average" tier.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh I don't disagree with that at all....in fact as some one who sounds like they follow(ed) Serie A, you should know that many of the taking heads there years back were calling him the "next one"....Giovinco was supposed to be the guy for Juve who took the torch from Del Piero, but for some reason it never happened. He's not garbage at all, but the fact is that he was a substitute for club and country before he came here.....skill was never a question, size maybe.....imo his size doesn't affect him as much in MLS because with the background that he has, he's always thinking ahead of the defender, so he can work around it.....but against world class defending, it may not be the same story...

I just bring up the point that he was a sub, because the way I read people's opinions in the summer before the Euros and again now, I'm thinking people who may have not paid attention to him or Serie A before look at his resume and assume he was a top player, when its not the case.....he was very hyped as a young player, but kinda settled into the "not elite, but better than average" tier.....
    So he's Italy's version of nani? except nani got a shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Welp Giampero Ventura just took the league down a few pegs. Much belly-aching heard across the twitterverse.
    This i found sort of entertaining....Its not like this guy has ever accomplished anything in pro football...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imo his size doesn't affect him as much in MLS because with the background that he has, he's always thinking ahead of the defender, so he can work around it.....but against world class defending, it may not be the same story...
    Is Ciman is a World-Class defender? He played in the Belgian World Cup Qualifier matches. Would he be a good one to benchmark Giovinco against this Tuesday?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Soccer/To.../22684117.html

Looks like Will Johnson is going to explore free agency for a team that'll give him a starting role
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Not too surprising. WJ is finding himself in the same spot he was in Portland. I think that money coming off the books goes straight to Cooper.

I will be interested to see the "evolution" of the roster next year. We can start to get a flavour of if the academy is going in the right direction or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's about whether Bradley is leaving.

I like Johnson but I wouldn't keep him, almost at any price, unless Bradley leaves. I want Delgado to be Bradley's replacement when Bradley is away, he got lost in the formation switch, Delgado needs/deserves the minutes.

If Bradley goes, though, Johnson would be a critical piece next year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's about whether Bradley is leaving.

I like Johnson but I wouldn't keep him, almost at any price, unless Bradley leaves. I want Delgado to be Bradley's replacement when Bradley is away, he got lost in the formation switch, Delgado needs/deserves the minutes.

If Bradley goes, though, Johnson would be a critical piece next year.
    If Bradley leaves, I'd reinvest that DP money into another CDM. Always said Johnson was an unnecessary luxury, even before Cooper arrived to push him down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    If Bradley leaves, I'd reinvest that DP money into another CDM. Always said Johnson was an unnecessary luxury, even before Cooper arrived to push him down.
    If Bradley leaves, it'd be precisely because the FO has concluded that you shouldn't use DP money on a CDM. There's no marketing return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradley leaves, it'd be precisely because the FO has concluded that you shouldn't use DP money on a CDM. There's no marketing return.
    I'd imagine there's a greater likelihood of Bradley desiring a new challenge than MLSE concluding that a mistake was made, especially with two attacking DPs already on the roster. The (immediate) marketing return depends more on the name than the position, though I'd argue there's quite a bit of allure drawn to a CM who can make his presence known and help dictate the pace of the game. Bradley's and Frings' marketing returns have been a heck of a lot higher than that of Gilberto's and Mista's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley only leaves if he wants to and can find a team to pickup his current wage. It's not up to MLSE to determine that. It's all in his hands. I wonder if the MLS would try and move him to another team in the league, NYCFC has some openings. The benefit for him is that he keeps his current wage. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the FO's position on Bradley is probably a bit complex. He is a bit of an enigma in MLS, he is a true systems player who needs better teammates to show his skills.

I think they'd listen to anyone who would take the contract on, but aren't willing to take salary to make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a shame to have Johnson leave with the Champs league games coming next season, dude has tons of experience would be great to have him boss the mid field on Wednesday nights. There is going to be lots of playing time for everyone if the team can make a run in Concacaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with Bradley being very relevant in the decision on Johnson. As I said a couple pages back, if Bradley leaves then you keep Johnson, because he slides right in as the starting DM. Johnson is not the kind of guy to stick around if he thinks he doesn't have a starting role nailed down. And he doesn't in this formation while Bradley is around.

It's hard what to make of Bradley... between off-field stuff, his impact on the field versus the money he makes, you can imagine spending it on a player with a greater impact. But he's also the captain and clear leader of the team, and has never looked better than since we switched to the 3-5-2. If management was considering moving him, I guarantee there's been some waffling due to his performance in the playoffs so far. And then there's obviously what Bradley himself wants.

Anyways, I think Bez has to expose Johnson in the expansion draft. Since he's a free agent, any club that is picking him would only get the rights to negotiate with him prior to the opening of free agency. Johnson could just end up re-signing with us (or another team) in free agency despite being picked. That's a big risk for Minnesota or Atlanta to take on, especially for a guy who's now publicly said he'll test the market.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the FO's position on Bradley is probably a bit complex. He is a bit of an enigma in MLS, he is a true systems player who needs better teammates to show his skills.

I think they'd listen to anyone who would take the contract on, but aren't willing to take salary to make it work.
    As much as it pains me to say it...LAG fits that bill and is in desperate need of a QB D thinking midfielder. Whether Bradley would want to go there is another matter. I think he would prefer to go back to Europe if given the choice.

I still think Bradley stays here. Manning wants CCL success, and knows what it takes to get there. Which is why I think if anything Johnson goes and Cooper stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it...LAG fits that bill and is in desperate need of a QB D thinking midfielder. Whether Bradley would want to go there is another matter. I think he would prefer to go back to Europe if given the choice.

I still think Bradley stays here. Manning wants CCL success, and knows what it takes to get there. Which is why I think if anything Johnson goes and Cooper stays.
    I can say with a great deal of certainty that 1) Bradley and his family love it in Toronto and would be thrilled to finish his career here and 2) He won't be going to another MLS team and 3) While teams are interested in acquiring him, it would have to be the perfect scenario for him to leave. He ain't leaving to go play for Bologna, guys. Right now, most signs point to him staying.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    I can say with a great deal of certainty that 1) Bradley and his family love it in Toronto and would be thrilled to finish his career here and 2) He won't be going to another MLS team and 3) While teams are interested in acquiring him, it would have to be the perfect scenario for him to leave. He ain't leaving to go play for Bologna, guys. Right now, most signs point to him staying.
    Very good to hear!
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    but what about the rumours?

Glad we have you to calm our fears.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting confused with all the talk of Bradley potentially leaving. Why would MLSE dump him? Why would he leave? I haven't heard any serious rumours surrounding that possibility. Anyone care to elaborate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see Johnson stay & given a chance. He broke his leg scoring the winning goal for us against Vancouver - the guy gives everything for the team. It's been a hard slow return to full match fitness - but when he is 100% he is a starter for me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ Not too surprising. WJ is finding himself in the same spot he was in Portland. I think that money coming off the books goes straight to Cooper.

I will be interested to see the "evolution" of the roster next year. We can start to get a flavour of if the academy is going in the right direction or not.
    It's unfortunate breaking his leg but it is what it is. He can either fight for his spot or relegate himself to a weaker team.

I'd love to keep him for.the simple fact,above all else, that he put his heart into the Vancouver game and literally won us the Canada cup and took us to champion's league. There will be plenty of room for squad rotation next year. hopefully he and management can come to an agreement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does winner of mls cup get extra allocation money? I rmeember reading this somewhere but not 100 % sure. Would definitely help keeping the roster together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    I'm getting confused with all the talk of Bradley potentially leaving. Why would MLSE dump him? Why would he leave? I haven't heard any serious rumours surrounding that possibility. Anyone care to elaborate?
    There were some stories about a month ago says ng that Bradley might go on loan to Europe in January. There were some ridiculous names (AC Milan), others that might make more sense (Swansea City, with his Dad). Loans can turn into transfers pretty easily, for players at Bradley's age/stage.

I think MLSE would have to think about it if the opportunity presented itself, as he is not really worth the money he is paid, in part because his game doesn't work well in a secondary lead.

But I agree with those who say nothing will happen unless Bradley wants it to happen, and you have Larson's post above on that.

I do think he may go out on loan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Does winner of mls cup get extra allocation money? I rmeember reading this somewhere but not 100 % sure. Would definitely help keeping the roster together.
    Not exactly. There is extra allocation for getting into the CCL, which TFC has done already. A US team can get into the CCL by winning the MLS Cup (and get allocation that way) but a Canadian team can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    So he's Italy's version of nani? except nani got a shot
    not an identical comparison, but close enough.....

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Is Ciman is a World-Class defender? He played in the Belgian World Cup Qualifier matches. Would he be a good one to benchmark Giovinco against this Tuesday?
    Ciman is not a "world class defender" imo.....but based on his international resume, I'd guess that he would have a better idea of how to contain a guy like Giovinco, as opposed to a typical MLS born and bred defender.....at the very least I think Ciman's ability to read the game is better than the typical MLS defender....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is the salary cap going up next year (including Garber bucks)?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    How much is the salary cap going up next year (including Garber bucks)?
    Garber bucks are secret between owners, so you won't know the exact amount. Everything else is in here (page 31 is where "Team Salary Budget" or colloquially the "cap" is discussed. Page 39 is the minimum allocation a/k/a "Garber biucks", but the league typically gives teams much more): https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Collective%20Bargaining%20Agreement%20-%20February%201,%202015.pdf

Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-21-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...en-to-mls-move

Zlatan already bored at Man U. I'd say he's in LA or NY this winter or next summer.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano