Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having Johnson and Cheyrou on the bench is sure a luxury. Remember when it was Jeremy Hall off the bench?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Having Johnson and Cheyrou on the bench is sure a luxury. Remember when it was Jeremy Hall off the bench?
    I remember when it was Maycoll (Miguel) Canizalez off the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when Bekker was in our starting lineup!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when Ryan Richter was in the starting 11?!? BTW I think he shot the winning PK in the NASL final yesterday...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I seem to remember reading something, maybe a Larson article or tweet, saying Cheyrou doesn't intend to retire and would like to return next year in a bench role. If we can get him on a reasonable contract I would love to keep him around, he's still a fantastic player, he just can't handle consistently heavy minutes anymore. He was huge for us this year during that stretch mid-season when Bradley and Johnson were out.
    Gut feeling - Cheyrou back for one more year on a cheap deal then he'll retire and coach in the academy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    First Canadian to score at BMO.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Gut feeling - Cheyrou back for one more year on a cheap deal then he'll retire and coach in the academy.
    these are the types we need to have as coaches.

brains and technical abilities over athleticism

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Continuing the French Connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wager is that Cooper will be gone as a transfer fee would put his cap hit outside of a salary that is useful. Johnson back at a reduced salary. Cheyrou retired

Also, I heard that there is an automatic bonus that has to be paid if the cup is won, that is taken out of next year's cap. If that's true it will be pretty ridiculous to lose out on a player or two because we won something. Typical forced parity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp Giampero Ventura just took the league down a few pegs. Much belly-aching heard across the twitterverse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Welp Giampero Ventura just took the league down a few pegs. Much belly-aching heard across the twitterverse.
    Old news - he did that about a week ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Old news - he did that about a week ago.
    My internet is slow :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSenCSmith View Post
    My wager is that Cooper will be gone as a transfer fee would put his cap hit outside of a salary that is useful.
    I can't stress how important it is to keep Cooper here, he's a valuable piece for the team moving forward. I am sure Bez will try everything he can to keep him here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khso11 View Post
    I can't stress how important it is to keep Cooper here, he's a valuable piece for the team moving forward. I am sure Bez will try everything he can to keep him here.
    Id be shocked if he didn't end up signing with us. My favourite player on the team after Seba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mls doesnt do loan deals without a buy option. So Cooper doesnt have to sign anything. BEz has to find the cap room and pay the agreed price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F*ck. who the hell was he? And I've seen almost every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    h

IIRC his one claim to fame was ending the notorious goal drought of season one.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    h

IIRC his one claim to fame was ending the notorious goal drought of season one.
    Bingo! It looked almost accidental too, the whole team was in shock.

This was when TFC was breaking all the wrong records.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Giovinco should salute this coach and their national team with the middle finger by becoming a Canadian citizen and playing for Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Giovinco should salute this coach and their national team with the middle finger by becoming a Canadian citizen and playing for Canada.
    I found that strange when I originally read it, as he had picked Pelle who plays in Chinese super league for the wc qualifier v Macedonia. The only reason he stopped picking him was Pelle refused to shake his hand when he was subbed off in that game.Funny thing Pelle is hardly banging the goals in for his club, whereas Giovinco has for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's appeared for Italy senior team before....he's cap tied.

I know its hard for some to look at his stats and wonder how he can't make the Azzurri, but the fact is that even when he played with Juventus, Giovinco was always a "fringe player" with the national team....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As awesome as this would be, FIFA doesn't let any player play for more than one national team once they got even one cap for a nation.

Exemptions are playing for a country up to the U-23 level then switching to another country's senior team.

OR

If you played for one country, then your ethnic affiliation is granted sovereignty. As was the case say for Valon Berisha, who played for his adoptive Norway but then was allowed to play for Kosovo since their Football Association was granted membership into UEFA.

Contrarily to the case of Bojan Krkic, who came off of the bench for one match for Spain back in 2005 i think. More recently, Serbia put in a request to UEFA to grant him exemption to the rule to play for Serbia but was then denied.

I realize that I nerded out there for a second, my apologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I found that strange when I originally read it, as he had picked Pelle who plays in Chinese super league for the wc qualifier v Macedonia. The only reason he stopped picking him was Pelle refused to shake his hand when he was subbed off in that game.Funny thing Pelle is hardly banging the goals in for his club, whereas Giovinco has for us.
    different player.....Pelle is really the only player Italy has that fits the typical target man description and is good in the air....Italy has 3 or 4 Giovinco-types that they can call on....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    different player.....Pelle is really the only player Italy has that fits the typical target man description and is good in the air....Italy has 3 or 4 Giovinco-types that they can call on....

different players of course, but when you call the MLS a "league that doesn't count for much" and have previously picked a player who plays in China, it's a bit hypocritical imo.Not sure I buy your Italy has 3-4 Giovinco types already, but if the manager feels that, then fine that's his choice, but no need to be disrespectful to the league the way he was. It's also ironic that Pelle got dropped for being disrespectful, when Ventura isn't showing much respect to mls. If he's going to preach respect then maybe he should practice a bit more himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people don't understand when they use the Giovinco was a fringe player at Juve, and a fringe player for Italy was that Giovinco had 1 bad season, his first at Juventus, and was never given his starter spot again. People forget he put up 15 goals and 13 assists with a middle of the pack Parma team. He was called off the bench a couple of times during Euro 2012. Do you guys remember his last game for Juve, where he started against Hellas Verona in the Coppa Italia? Scored 2 and added an assist, one of the goals being a beautiful free kick. I'm still of the thought that Giovinco would be start for any team in Italy not named Juventus or Napoli. And that's is not a knock. Those are legit Top 16 clubs in the world. This is from a guy who watched the league somewhat religiously for 10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

different players of course, but when you call the MLS a "league that doesn't count for much" and have previously picked a player who plays in China, it's a bit hypocritical imo.Not sure I buy your Italy has 3-4 Giovinco types already, but if the manager feels that, then fine that's his choice, but no need to be disrespectful to the league the way he was. It's also ironic that Pelle got dropped for being disrespectful, when Ventura isn't showing much respect to mls. If he's going to preach respect then maybe he should practice a bit more himself.
    Well what does one expect from the holier than thou arseholes from Europe. I am a bit fed up with this MLS doesn't count for much. There are many, many leagues in Europe and Asia that are far more inferior to MLS.
    No disrespect to our Irish and Scottish comrades but Airtricity League and SPL (which I love to watch) other than a few teams in those leagues are at par with MLS. So shut the fuck up. MLS is what we have and what we support, let it fucking develop, Poncy fucking aresholes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne who again because of his size probably the same height as Giovinco is not always starting at Napoli or for the National team is just as talented as Giovinco but a lot younger but in a few years if Insigne is still not getting the playing time he deserves is a guy TFC should target in a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo Insigne and Ciro Immobile are two right off the top of my head who would be played in front of Giovinco all day......and the Pelle situation is a bit different.....he only moved to China in the summer, and I think he's only still around as a transition to get Balotelli back in the Azzurri set up (some of the team vets were calling for Ventura to name Balo to the team in this last set of qualifiers which just passed)....if you think about it, its quite similar to the last call ups Giovinco got about a year ago....but as Pelle spends more time there, they will most likely assume his skill is eroding because of lack of competition, just like they're assuming now with Seba.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    What people don't understand when they use the Giovinco was a fringe player at Juve, and a fringe player for Italy was that Giovinco had 1 bad season, his first at Juventus, and was never given his starter spot again. People forget he put up 15 goals and 13 assists with a middle of the pack Parma team. He was called off the bench a couple of times during Euro 2012. Do you guys remember his last game for Juve, where he started against Hellas Verona in the Coppa Italia? Scored 2 and added an assist, one of the goals being a beautiful free kick. I'm still of the thought that Giovinco would be start for any team in Italy not named Juventus or Napoli. And that's is not a knock. Those are legit Top 16 clubs in the world. This is from a guy who watched the league somewhat religiously for 10 years.
    they fact that he had "1 bad season" doesn't change that he was a fringe player for both club and country.....he had his role on Juve which was to run at tired defenses and he played his role well.....though I agree with the bolded.....but in the end it was HIS choice to come to MLS.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Well what does one expect from the holier than thou arseholes from Europe. I am a bit fed up with this MLS doesn't count for much. There are many, many leagues in Europe and Asia that are far more inferior to MLS.
    No disrespect to our Irish and Scottish comrades but Airtricity League and SPL (which I love to watch) other than a few teams in those leagues are at par with MLS. So shut the fuck up. MLS is what we have and what we support, let it fucking develop, Poncy fucking aresholes
    and to be fair, how many players who play in these "inferior" European leagues star for the big countries in tournaments.....generally, the best players of the big euro teams either play domestically or in Liga/PL/Bundesliga/Serie A
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 11-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Was that the goal that ended TFC's record breaking goalless streak in something like the 2nd minute of a game? Legend.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Didn't know that... what a crap goal it was too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Was that the goal that ended TFC's record breaking goalless streak in something like the 2nd minute of a game? Legend.
    Yes it was. Everyone was in shock that the goal was scored, including the players.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto