1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope TFC sign Cooper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's time to get rid of legacy players and build this club optimally for the future. We're doing too much compromising in formations. 4-3-3 with Giovinco as center forward most likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Rooney...just no.

Let LAG take em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not Rooney...just no.

Let LAG take em.
    I didn't see anyone suggesting Rooney. Was that preemptive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Im surprised Bradley came back this year, TBH. His skill level isn't the main point. I think, for me anyway, that the amount of money the club pays him is not justified by overall team performance - The team plays just fine without him. 5million bucks can be spent on more impactful positions.
    and MB isnt stupid nor lacks the honour to willingly leave knowing hes not being fully utilized or money best spent for TFC

Im sure he is willing to leave for decent pay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    TFC was making money, and its highly likely they are now losing money. MB and Jozy obvious ways to go from loss to profit, but Gio is going to want some players his class around him. I think we are at a moment where management is thinking this through, that's why rumours are surfacing.. 3 home playoff games might change the financial equation though.
    Jozy is not going anywhere, hes used in a lot of marketing and the potential is clearly there to be a massive MLS player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Jozy is not going anywhere, hes used in a lot of marketing and the potential is clearly there to be a massive MLS player
    Not to be dismissive but marketing material means little. There's no bus rolling along Yonge street that says the bloody big jozy on it (and that didn't even stop them from pulling the trigger on Defoe).

I think he's more likely to stick than Bradley but you never know where things end up. Giovinco is the meal ticket, the other guys are more flexible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not to be dismissive but marketing material means little. There's no bus rolling along Yonge street that says the bloody big jozy on it (and that didn't even stop them from pulling the trigger on Defoe).

I think he's more likely to stick than Bradley but you never know where things end up. Giovinco is the meal ticket, the other guys are more flexible.
    LOL @ Bloody big Jozy :P

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I didn't see anyone suggesting Rooney. Was that preemptive?
    Yes it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it was.
    we would love a new punching bag though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Rossi in TFC Colours in 2017

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see that happening. Too expensive, that's pretty much a 4th DP. I'm content with the midfield line up we have at the moment, especially with Bradley being a beast these past few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    De Rossi in TFC Colours in 2017
    Should Bradley decide to move on, I can definitely see TFC making a move. CDM destroyer in attempt to appease Seba, checks off a few boxes. Who knows at this point of DDR decides to play out his days in Rome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS needs Villa and Gio to called to the National teams

if that happens, MLS will viewed very differently.

in the mean time, cooper type players is exactly the type we need to attract, then use as promo material for more of the same.

we also need these guys that are good with the ball to open up some clinics in N.A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt it. People will go with the narrative that they both are coming to national teams getting old & struggling a little or they are just there politically to pump the name of MLS.

Go on ESPNFC for example and go to the MLS section. Read the comments on almost any article and you will see that the average Euro-centric meathead can twist anything into MLS being a shitty retirement league. Anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Should Bradley decide to move on, I can definitely see TFC making a move. CDM destroyer in attempt to appease Seba, checks off a few boxes. Who knows at this point of DDR decides to play out his days in Rome.
    Is Atiba showing too many silver threads? He is available in 2018, but will be 34 (I think) and is $$$.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a tweet today from a guy who scouts for a Championship level team in Ireland. He won't take seriously anybody that comes from a land that uses the word soccer (the discussion was on Bob Bradley). Even when told that that the name was in common usage in the UK only 30 years ago, he still says he won't take Americans seriously because they will never be good at the game - says the guy from Freaking Ireland.

That sort of thinking will take another 30 years to get past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a tweet today from a guy who scouts for a Championship level team in Ireland. He won't take seriously anybody that comes from a land that uses the word soccer (the discussion was on Bob Bradley). Even when told that that the name was in common usage in the UK only 30 years ago, he still says he won't take Americans seriously because they will never be good at the game - says the guy from Freaking Ireland.

Don't they also call it soccer in Ireland as football refers to Gaelic football?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ur right!

On another note, a good primer on how TFC is playing now which will inform off season moves. http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...-first-mls-cup

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Don't they also call it soccer in Ireland as football refers to Gaelic football?
    That's correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care that the MLS is not Seria A or La Liga or whatever, it's the top league in my part of the world and it's the league where the city that I live in plays in so that's why I support my team , the fact that the league they play in is not the best league in the world has no bearing in my passion and interest I have in my team and league. Do you think fans in say Denmark care that their league is not the best in the world does it keep people in Denmark from following their league? When a particular team in Denmark wins their league do people who follow that particular team care less because their team won a championship in a league that is not the best in the world, so why do so many people have this hang up about the MLS not being the best in the world .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I don't care that the MLS is not Seria A or La Liga or whatever, it's the top league in my part of the world and it's the league where the city that I live in plays in so that's why I support my team , the fact that the league they play in is not the best league in the world has no bearing in my passion and interest I have in my team and league. Do you think fans in say Denmark care that their league is not the best in the world does it keep people in Denmark from following their league? When a particular team in Denmark wins their league do people who follow that particular team care less because their team won a championship in a league that is not the best in the world, so why do so many people have this hang up about the MLS not being the best in the world .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    i'm from ireland and I don't or nor any of my friends call football soccer. Gaelic football is called Gaelic, that's how we refer to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    i'm from ireland and I don't or nor any of my friends call football soccer. Gaelic football is called Gaelic, that's how we refer to it.
    i.e. Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and Irish Football Association (IFA). Sorry back on topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this too. Told him I don't take anyone seriously who comes from a land that doesn't call it fussball. He ended up favouring it so think he got my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/will-...ccer-playoffs/

Interesting comments here on Johnson's future...

“I have no idea. There’s been no talks, nothing. I don’t know if I’ll be back. It’s a good question. I want to come back, but it’s not a black or white question—it’s grey in our league in terms of the salary cap and how many good quality payers you can have on a squad. The better a team does the harder it is to keep more guys around because salaries go up when results go up, and salaries go down when results go down,” Johnson said.
    “We’ve had a very good year, so it’ll be interesting to see if they can keep this group together. In a perfect world, I stay here, but a lot of those decisions are usually out of the player’s hands. With me being a total free agent, time will tell.”
    Johnson is a veteran of ten MLS seasons with over 200 regular season games and two MLS Cup titles under his belt, so he’ll likely have several other suitors this winter.
    “There were many options out there for me coming off a broken leg in a year when I hardly played. This year has been much, much better for me that last year, and so I’m sure I’ll have a lot of options, especially in an expansion year,” Johnson offered.
    “There’s a lot of places out there that I could go, but I just have to wait and see how the discussions go with Toronto and see what they’re thinking. … This club means something special to me. I’ve put in a lot of work this year, and these things always have a funny way of working themselves out in the right way.”
    He left Portland because he fell out of a starting role, and the same thing has happened here. With the way Cooper has played and how we've looked in the 3-5-2, does Bez expose Johnson in the expansion draft? He needs a new contract, but he would likely command a decent chunk of salary, probably too much for a bench role. And apparently Cheyrou wants to come back in a bench role next year already.

I would definitely keep him if we move on from Bradley, but then we don't know what the thinking on Bradley is exactly, plus he's been a monster so far in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/will-...ccer-playoffs/

Interesting comments here on Johnson's future...

He left Portland because he fell out of a starting role, and the same thing has happened here. With the way Cooper has played and how we've looked in the 3-5-2, does Bez expose Johnson in the expansion draft? He needs a new contract, but he would likely command a decent chunk of salary, probably too much for a bench role. And apparently Cheyrou wants to come back in a bench role next year already.

I would definitely keep him if we move on from Bradley, but then we don't know what the thinking on Bradley is exactly, plus he's been a monster so far in the playoffs.
    I didn't realize there were credible rumours about the club wanting to move on from Bradley?

That being said, I can see Johnson being vulnerable due to the expansion draft, given our 3-5-2 formation. Cheyrou and Ricketts as well. Basically anyone outside our current starting lineup.

Wait, is Armando Cooper protected in our draft? I assumed he wasn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Wait, is Armando Cooper protected in our draft? I assumed he wasn't.
    I don't think he is. If Atlanta does draft him does the loan still apply? Or would they have to buy him from Arabe Unido?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheyrou isn't likely to be back, big cap hit, old and his contract is up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember reading something, maybe a Larson article or tweet, saying Cheyrou doesn't intend to retire and would like to return next year in a bench role. If we can get him on a reasonable contract I would love to keep him around, he's still a fantastic player, he just can't handle consistently heavy minutes anymore. He was huge for us this year during that stretch mid-season when Bradley and Johnson were out.