Page 25 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the CAC pre-game coverage on Fox, Grant Wahl said that Altidore met with the USMNT team doctor and they believe they have determined what is causing the chronic hamstring issues. Didn't say anything on what needs done, time line, etc so I'd say it's promising but I'm not celebrating yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its surgery, the interwebs are going to be full of venom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the text

Hamstring breakthrough for Altidore?

U.S. forward Jozy Altidore is out for the Copa América with a hamstring injury, but he may have had a breakthrough in solving the chronic problem. Altidore says he got a second opinion in L.A. from U.S. team doctor Bert Mandelbaum this week, and he thinks they've finally found what's causing his issues, which have either limited him or kept him out of multiple major tournaments for the U.S. over the last five years.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    That's true. Who am I to question the greatest football mind of our generation. We were fortunate to bask in his brilliance for half a season.
    We were clearly not worthy of him. Now he spreads his brilliance around by occasional punditry on television.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We were clearly not worthy of him. Now he spreads his brilliance around by occasional punditry on television.
    A mind like that needs to shared to the world not just a city like Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news for Jozy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of quality individual talent in this copa america and I bet for cheap too. I hope we are scouting this tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    A lot of quality individual talent in this copa america and I bet for cheap too. I hope we are scouting this tournament.
    Why would we? We've got Tosaint Ricketts on his way!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez..only scouts MLS rejects

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Bez..only scouts MLS rejects
    His signings from within the league have been pretty damn good so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are still a average team with all his mls signings,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    His signings from within the league have been pretty damn good so far.
    Yeah but outside the league? Sceptical at best.

Cheyrou? Success.
    Perquis? When factoring in his high salary, borderline.
    Giovinco? Success, but there is an argument to be made that Bez failed when signing Seba because he signed him with the expectation that he would play as a number 10, not as a striker.
    Jozy? Borderline.
    Kantari? Bust.
    Gomez? Bust.
    Orr? Success.
    Julio? Success.
    Bradley? Success.
    Gilberto? Bust.
    Defoe? Bust.

That tallies up for an overall record of 5 successes, 4 busts and 2 border lines. Problem is that every single one of his busts was big big money and if Jozy doesn't sort out his injuries you can tally up Bez as having failed in 3 out of 5 DP's that he's signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Giovinco? Success, but there is an argument to be made that Bez failed when signing Seba because he signed him with the expectation that he would play as a number 10, not as a striker.
    Huh?

Agreed with the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Huh?

Agreed with the rest.
    Watch the presser where Seba is introduced Vanney goes to say he sees him as a 10 and then Seba immediately afterwards says he's a striker. It's even further evidenced in the fact that for a little while at the beginning he was playing as a 10, which he would never do now. In that it can be seen that Bez got lucky that Seba was so good as a striker. It's like if I sign a player with sole intention of playing them as a winger and they end up succeeding as a DM on my team, can I really take credit for the success of that signing?
    Last edited by portu; 06-06-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren`t Gilberto and Defoe signed before Bez came to Toronto FC? And even then, a case can be made that some on the list were more like Lieweike and/or MLSE board signings

Cheyrou? Success.
    Jozy? Borderline.
    Kantari? Bust.
    Gomez? Bust.
    Orr? Success.
    Julio? Success.
    Bradley? Success.
    Gilberto? Bust.
    Defoe? Bust.

That tallies up for an overall record of 5 successes, 4 busts and 2 border lines. Problem is that every single one of his busts was big big money and if Jozy doesn't sort out his injuries you can tally up Bez as having failed in 3 out of 5 DP's that he's signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone bar Bradley from Orr down was Nelsen driven/identified. Bradley fell into their lap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the presser where Seba is introduced Vanney goes to say he sees him as a 10 and then Seba immediately afterwards says he's a striker. It's even further evidenced in the fact that for a little while at the beginning he was playing as a 10, which he would never do now. In that it can be seen that Bez got lucky that Seba was so good as a striker. It's like if I sign a player with sole intention of playing them as a winger and they end up succeeding as a DM on my team, can I really take credit for the success of that signing?
    Honestly yeah, you could. You're always signing the player for who he is before position or tactics come into it, if he improves the team the GM gets to take credit in my opinion regardless of whether or not things played out exactly as he might have envisioned. Anyways, I always took the comments from that presser to be more along the lines of management seeing him as a creative, playmaking force on the pitch, rather than actually playing a traditional #10 role or being a guy that hovers around the box looking for goals (I thought they were trying to make it clear he wasn't a Defoe replacement but a new type of player).

Also I don't agree with qualifying each acquisition as being a Nelsen, Bez, Leiweke, etc. signing, despite how true those qualifications might be at times. If you're GM you take responsibility for player movement, full stop. So Defoe is very much a Bez bust in my eyes, same as Giovinco is a massive Bez success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheyrou? Success.
    Jozy? Borderline.
    Kantari? Bust.
    Gomez? Bust.
    Orr? Success.
    Julio? Success.
    Bradley? Success.
    Gilberto? Bust.
    Defoe? Bust.

No doubt that Bez hasn't been flawless, which manager has? I only commented on reggies post because he said that Bez only scouts MLS rejects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bez seems to overpay for all his signings,other then Irwin,i really like WJ,but at 400k for a grinder is steep,you could get a really good AM or winger from SA for that money,he cant seem to find that diamond in the rough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Everyone bar Bradley from Orr down was Nelsen driven/identified. Bradley fell into their lap.

also forgot who said it but Kantari was a Lieweke signing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody but Giovinco thought he was a #10. People who followed Juve were saying that at the time.

If you go back to the transfer thread for that off season, we all pretty much thought that. If Bez is at fault on that, we all were.

My understanding is serious scouting by MLS teams of all the talent at Copa America has been going on for years

However, we have no clue what scouting TFC does. Its not talked about. The default assumption some people have is none, but that is highly unlikely.

It would be a good idea if somebody in the media asked Bez about what scouting TFC is doing and where - it never seems to come up.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-07-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Everybody but Giovinco thought he was a #10. People who followed Juve were saying that at the time.

If you go back to the transfer thread for that off season, we all pretty much thought that. If Bez is at fault on that, we all were.

My understanding is serious scouting by MLS teams of all the talent at Copa America has been going on for years

However, we have no clue what scouting TFC does. Its not talked about. The default assumption some people have is none, but that is highly unlikely.

It would be a good idea if somebody in the media asked Bez about what scouting TFC is doing and where - it never seems to come up.
    You listen to the latest TFC Pitchside interview with Bez? Said they have 2 scouts going to Copa America games.

All we know about TFC scouting is that they have a director of scouting named Jack Dodd. He came to TFC from Scout 7 http://info.scout7.com/en/

They have "ground scouts" in the States that watch NCAA games too.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 06-07-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    You listen to the latest TFC Pitchside interview with Bez? Said they have 2 scouts going to Copa America games.
    This is not scouting, this is tourism. Scouting is living in Jamaica or Costa Rica or Uruguay and watching a guy play 50 games, knowing why he might come here instead of Mexico or Holland, and getting to know his family, his coach, his agent ...

Most of the players in this tournament aren't MLS candidates. They would mostly be DPs. There may be a guy on Jamaica or Haiti, sure. You won't "scout" them here, you had better already know them, because lots of others do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still have a couple contracts that need to be cleaned up from the TL era, we have dead space from Moore, Gomez right now. Perquis and cheyrou i believe are out of contract after the season and i would imagine Cheyrou is in his last season here and Perquis would need to accept a much lower number to stay. We will have a good amount of space open up over the next 6 months with most of our players locked up already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is not scouting, this is tourism. Scouting is living in Jamaica or Costa Rica or Uruguay and watching a guy play 50 games, knowing why he might come here instead of Mexico or Holland, and getting to know his family, his coach, his agent ...

Most of the players in this tournament aren't MLS candidates. They would mostly be DPs. There may be a guy on Jamaica or Haiti, sure. You won't "scout" them here, you had better already know them, because lots of others do.
    I agree. However, what you describe is becoming less of a norm these days - it's mostly video based now. Bar the European clubs that have existing networks that they have built up over decades and even then they mix new school with old school.

Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela would be good targets for signings along with the two you mentioned.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't think any sport uses people like that now, except possibly baseball and then only in the Dominican.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't think any sport uses people like that now, except possibly baseball and then only in the Dominican.
    Depends on the investment. For a guy earning *maybe* 100-300k it's doubtful that level of diligence is economically feasible.

That said, there is a certain amount of homework required on all transactions. My gut feeling is that we haven't often cleared the bar. We should have a minimum of 2-3 guys with permanently bloodshot eyes from watching so much video.

It's also worth pointing out that the guy who is our GM has zero experience evaluating talent prior to being put in his current position.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

It's also worth pointing out that the guy who is our GM has zero experience evaluating talent prior to being put in his current position.

Yeah, Except that's not actually true at all. His role at MLS HQ was to evaluate every single player coming in and out of the league and manage their contracts accordingly. Just because he wasn't doing it for a single club doesn't mean he doesn't have experience evaluating talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Yeah, Except that's not actually true at all. His role at MLS HQ was to evaluate every single player coming in and out of the league and manage their contracts accordingly. Just because he wasn't doing it for a single club doesn't mean he doesn't have experience evaluating talent.
    Being a lawyer and a professional second guesser does not make you a scout of talent. He evaluated "every player that came into the league?" That in itself is discrediting considering it wouldn't be feasible.

I use lawyers frequently in my line of work. Not all of them are suited to jump over to the business side. Drawing up a structurally sound contract is different from understanding the underlying drivers of a transaction and its value to the person they represent.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Being a lawyer and a professional second guesser does not make you a scout of talent.
    What does make someone a scout of talent then?

Despite what many say, it is possible to do two things at once. It just so happened that his legal background made him ideal for doing a certain part of his job. being able to comprehend and draft every contract was a minor part of his job. The bulk of his work had to do with evaluating talent.