Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmmm Gilberto being bought out by Chicago. Likely heading home to Brazil.

I'd take him over Ricketts at the same price but his head might be too far gone.
    Yeah, I think that ship has sailed. I've always thought Ricketts was underrated, which probably won't be a popular opinion. He's been in a lot of situations where he only got a few minutes a game. It's hard to play consistently like that. But he's quite an athlete, and seeing how well Creavalle has adapted in Philly week-in-and-out (he's second in the league in tackles as an anchor) I suspect maybe there's more to come from him.

I'd be more interested in us loaning Guiseppe Rossi from Fiorentina; his Levante loan is about to end, according to ESPN, and there's no indication the Italians want him back. Also said he now wishes he'd chosen the US over Italy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, I think that ship has sailed. I've always thought Ricketts was underrated, which probably won't be a popular opinion. He's been in a lot of situations where he only got a few minutes a game. It's hard to play consistently like that. But he's quite an athlete, and seeing how well Creavalle has adapted in Philly week-in-and-out (he's second in the league in tackles as an anchor) I suspect maybe there's more to come from him.

I'd be more interested in us loaning Guiseppe Rossi from Fiorentina; his Levante loan is about to end, according to ESPN, and there's no indication the Italians want him back. Also said he now wishes he'd chosen the US over Italy.
    Yeah it helps when your actually played in your proper position.

The idiocy of Vanney playing him at fullback constantly was astounding, I always thought he was getting the short end of the stick here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A free Gilberto? Yes please

(I know there is zero chance of it happening)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A depth striker/winger that misses games due to national team duty (same time Altidore would be gone) can't be a good signing. Hope he proves me wrong and tears this league apart lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto would be fantastic, but I would have settled for M. Santos as well.
    Last edited by starter; 05-31-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is broken, cest finis

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Gilberto would be fantastic, but I would have settled for M. Santos as well.
    I always liked Maicon. Gilberto wouldn't be bad either. Doubt we could afford any of them with the current cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A player like gilberto would be a great TAM signing 500-650k bought down to 250k, probably not worth a true DP slot at this point but a good starting caliber player and gives you the ability to place another DP in mid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    A player like gilberto would be a great TAM signing 500-650k bought down to 250k, probably not worth a true DP slot at this point but a good starting caliber player and gives you the ability to place another DP in mid.
    He has yet to prove in this league, over 2+ seasons, that he is worth $300K total much less talking about TAM. He is no guarantee to reach double digits in goals and if we're rewarding players who hustle and cover a lot of ground on the pitch then bring back Weideman and give him $150K because he covered about the same amount of ground but scored less goals. Also, Gilberto has basically been on one team per season for his career so far. On one hand that points to poor performance but more likely poor character. I know the guy has a fan club around here but seriously, the guy is a typical MLS bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He has yet to prove in this league, over 2+ seasons, that he is worth $300K total much less talking about TAM. He is no guarantee to reach double digits in goals and if we're rewarding players who hustle and cover a lot of ground on the pitch then bring back Weideman and give him $150K because he covered about the same amount of ground but scored less goals. Also, Gilberto has basically been on one team per season for his career so far. On one hand that points to poor performance but more likely poor character. I know the guy has a fan club around here but seriously, the guy is a typical MLS bust.
    5 goals and 2 assists (10 games, 8 starts) after joining the fire last season is a Bust?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 goals and 2 assists (10 games, 8 starts) after joining the fire last season is a Bust?
    Gilberto has a high work rate, good at creating chances, and somewhat poor finishing.
    I would like to think that finishing could be improved as he settles in, but IMO he was not given enough time for that.
    Wish we could give him another shot.
    And IMO, Weideman is not in 'the same league' as Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. You're ignoring the fact he was loaned out by Internacional for years. Which is normal in Brazil.
    2. He was well liked in the dressing room here. After the Fire game last season pretty much all the players went to him for a handshake or hug and he walked off the pitch talking with Bendik and a few others.

He absolutely hasn't lived up to his transfer fee or salary but there is a player in there that could do very well playing on a non shitshow team. Which TFC/Vasco/Chicago all are/were

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's no Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with Ultra. Sorry but Gilberto just isn't good enough. We took a flyer on a guy with 1 impressive season in his career and he ended up being about what you'd expect: decently talented but very inconsistent. Pair that with fitness problems (some of his own doing, he didn't keep himself in shape during the off-season so he'd always start the year out injured or quickly pick up an injury) and what I saw as a fairly transparent jealousy towards Defoe due to all the hype/celebrity around him, I have no desire to see him return. He's had some good stretches of play in MLS but he's had even longer stretches of producing nothing. I think people remember him as being better than he was because of his work rate. The guy misses a ton of chances.

If we're spending TAM we could probably do a lot better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now it's 5 in 19 with 16 starts after another fine run out to start 2016. So he's 12 in 47 total now and for me 1 in 4 is a bust when it eats the max on the salary cap and eats a DP spot.

Jozy is better than this, contributes more to our offensive success, and disrupts defenses a lot yet he is widely seen as a bust. Plus he is apparently gold in the locker room. Going by the standards set and maintained for Jozy for the past year and a bit, then no, Gilberto is not worthy of a DP or TAM spot. He is a bust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think people remember him as being better than he was because of his work rate. The guy misses a ton of chances.
    This is the reason I brought up the Weideman line a few posts up. That guy ran like nuts and was crap. If we're handing out big paycheques based on hard work (which all pro players should do anyway) then we're back in MLS 1.0 when that's about the best you could hope for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Gilberto has a high work rate, good at creating chances, and somewhat poor finishing.
    I would like to think that finishing could be improved as he settles in, but IMO he was not given enough time for that.
    Jozy scored at a better rate, created good chances for others with hold up play, and had pretty good finishing for the amount of shots he had last year and people wanted him out last summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if gilberto was 200k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    what if gilberto was 200k?
    would jump on that, but naw, he isn't coming back here on $200/yr, even as good as exchange is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk in Brazil is that he is going to Botafogo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    would jump on that, but naw, he isn't coming back here on $200/yr, even as good as exchange is.
    Maybe we can pull an LA since he's getting bought out, shouldn't that mean him being open to a lower contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather give Jham more minutes than sign Gilberto again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    1. You're ignoring the fact he was loaned out by Internacional for years. Which is normal in Brazil.
    2. He was well liked in the dressing room here. After the Fire game last season pretty much all the players went to him for a handshake or hug and he walked off the pitch talking with Bendik and a few others.

He absolutely hasn't lived up to his transfer fee or salary but there is a player in there that could do very well playing on a non shitshow team. Which TFC/Vasco/Chicago all are/were
    Okay, he's alright but in the grande scheme of things I'd describe the desire to bring him back as familiarity bias.

All else equal I'd roll the dise on an unknown signing rather than see if he finally puts it together in his third outing with a new team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 4 weeks, July is around and we got cap space.

IF the 3rd striker is Ricketts, I'm going to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In 4 weeks, July is around and we got cap space.

IF the 3rd striker is Ricketts, I'm going to
    Should be Jhams. He deserves his shot. He's been called up twice now to the senior team and scored three goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Should be Jhams. He deserves his shot. He's been called up twice now to the senior team and scored three goals.
    Pretty sure he has two legitimate pro goals for us but I have to support this overall sentiment, Tosaint is not a good enough reason to not play Jordan imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Pretty sure he has two legitimate pro goals for us but I have to support this overall sentiment, Tosaint is not a good enough reason to not play Jordan imo
    He scored against Tottenham on his other senior callup. They were playing hard, it was a competitive game. In fact, anyone who watched it would have known right away that Harry Kane was about to have a breakout season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Okay, he's alright but in the grande scheme of things I'd describe the desire to bring him back as familiarity bias.

All else equal I'd roll the dise on an unknown signing rather than see if he finally puts it together in his third outing with a new team.
    Fair

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the reason I brought up the Weideman line a few posts up. That guy ran like nuts and was crap. If we're handing out big paycheques based on hard work (which all pro players should do anyway) then we're back in MLS 1.0 when that's about the best you could hope for.
    Crap? But I know a coach who called him "the greatest finisher of the modern era."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Crap? But I know a coach who called him "the greatest finisher of the modern era."
    That's true. Who am I to question the greatest football mind of our generation. We were fortunate to bask in his brilliance for half a season.