Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC GM Tim Bezbatchenko, while restricted by league rules on disclosure of allocation money specifics, said the transaction with Seattle gives his team more options. It allows TFC to be salary compliant while positioning the team to have flexibility down the road.
    As for trading the international spot, that leaves Toronto with seven. It currently is only using five on Italy's Sebastian Giovinco, Japan's Tsubasa Endoh and France's Benoit Cheyrou, Damien Perquis and Clement Simonin.
    Seattle had run out of international spots at signing St. Vincent & the Grenadines forward Oalex Anderson last week. It may also be looking to add another elite player in the wake of the departure of DP forward Obafemi Martins.
    Bezbatchenko, meanwhile, said the club is not looking at this time to add to its strike force despite the departure of reserve forwards Luke Moore and Herculez Gomez.
    "The first eight games for us is more about being sound defensively," he said, referencing the team's lengthy opening road trip due to ongoing renovations at BMO Field. "We do think we have weapons offensively.
    "Do we have the necessary depth? Perhaps not as much as in the defence now in terms of number of bodies but we do think we have people who can score. Certainly once we get Jozy (Altidore) back which we expect is not going to be a longterm situation.
    "So I don't think anything is imminent but certainly we're looking there."
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...371460071.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Babouli and Hamilton are going to be our reserve strikers for now. If Giovinco and Altidore stay healthy, it won't be an issue if the kids play sheltered minutes, but this situation needs to be addressed at some point prior to the international call ups.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading Bez's comments it definitely seems like TFC are hoping to use a little luck in keeping our attacking players healthy and focusing more on clean sheets in the opening part of the season. Time will tell if that gamble pays off. I really hope Altidore can stay healthy for a stretch to at least build up some points before we start losing players to international duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll probably add an international veteran striker in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    What? Johnson chose to come here over going to chicago. Those were his two options. The league had nothing to do with it.

And Aird was viewed as a half-decent, versatile, cheap loan signing for a team that stockpiles guys like that. I think you're reading into things too much.
    Look at the bigger picture of the the number of USMNT guys who have come back in the last couple of years. Do these signings make sense? To a certain degree, but I think Aird is a little off the map in terms of options and WJ coming to Toronto is made easier by his national team profile. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Or they are realizing that the marketplace wants a strong Canadian content. By no means am I someone who wants to sign Canadians for the sake of signing Canadians but when/if our top national team players come available I would hope we are in the mix for them if they fit our system. Hoilett/Atiba are guys I would love to see in red.
    I like both those players but in a MLS cap environment it's hard to make sense out of those signings. And agreed, that's what I was getting at in my post - they see national team players as a way to increase the profile of the teams / league.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-09-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Reports on Google shows Hoilett's wages are 2.6 million pounds. Even if it's a free transfer, not sure if Hoilett is open to a significant wage reduction to play for Toronto.
    I doubt Hoilett will get anything close to that now. When he got that contract he was much younger with a lot more upside and was scoring in the Premier league. The contract at that time was also a gamble overpaying hoping he could become a great striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think bez is playing a dangerous game here...with the lack of depth up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    If the club wants the young guys to contribute, and they have trust in their ability to compete at his level (which it seems like they do), then there's no better opportunity to get their feet wet then during this 8 game road trip. Expectations are low - they only expect 5 points from the next 7 games - so they won't be under much pressure to perform.

It still sounds like we're making moves when the summer window opens. The club just doesn't want to wreck itself by making an impulse buy to fill the depth chart and lock up our cap space when it's not totally necessary. Smart move in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do we have such low standards with this club...lets bunker down for 8 games and hopefully we will get 2 wins and 2 ties?
    we have the highest payroll in the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do we have such low standards with this club...lets bunker down for 8 games and hopefully we will get 2 wins and 2 ties?
    That is what bugged me from Bez's comments. It sounded like that was the mentality going by what he said. Not sure if that was what he meant or maybe it came out wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) come on. How many times do we as a group that we can't talk about payroll like it has anything to do with the majority of the roster. We play by the same rules as everyone else.
    2) 8 points from 8 away games is statistically a very impressive record in this league. The average points from away games in this league is less then 1 PG. So 8 points from 8 games is a pretty fair standard, all things considered.
    3) letting kids play games with low pressure and expectations isn't setting a low bar, it's practical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i respect your passion and opinion on this,but bez is always playing catch up with the cap.throwing good money out the door with his mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you understand he's built one of the best organizations in the league from scratch, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you say so...we shall see.this thread is about player movement,so lets leave it at that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The depth up front along the front 3 is a bit more then people realise
    (not in order)

Seba
    Jozy
    Endoh
    Lovitz
    Hamilton
    Babouli
    Osorio
    Delgado

We are not playing a 4-4-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Chapman^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The depth up front along the front 3 is a bit more then people realise
    (not in order)

Seba
    Jozy
    Endoh
    Lovitz
    Hamilton
    Babouli
    Osorio
    Delgado

We are not playing a 4-4-2.
    but how many of those are MLS goal scorers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Not all forwards in a 4-3-3 are goal scorers. Some are creators, some are natural wingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes but when Jozy and Gio are gone, who will score?

I think Endoh and Babs can do it, but i wouldnt bet much money on it

Hamilton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton?
    Reading Bez's comments on who we're bringing in (or not bringing in) I think he's expecting us to eke out 1-0 wins while everyone's away. I'm still not sure I think our line-up without Seba and Jozy can do it, but I feel like that's the plan.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no teams in this league that have proven goal scorers past depth spot 3. It just doesn't work cap wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton?
    Welcome to MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure we will see some sort of cover brought in ahead of late May.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco is not gone for sure. Depends on who the Italian team selects.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys aren't proven goal scorers before they get a chance to play. We never did have proven goal scorers after Jozy & Seba anyway. Was anyone really ready to proclaim Moore and especially Gomez as proven goal scorers? I wasn't. I didn't see enough from either last season to suggest they could or would score any more than Mo or any of the other young guys could. Also as long as your rolling the dice on potential goal scoring then you pick the younger, cheaper option and also the one who have the legs to handle what it looks like we're planning on throwing out there on a weekly basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There are no teams in this league that have proven goal scorers past depth spot 3. It just doesn't work cap wise.
    But we could, if we weren't paying a ton of cap $ for Moore and Herc NOT to be playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Perquis continues his from from the end of last season and has so far this year I could see him being in the mix for Poland's squad too. Don't think he'd be a starter but he could make the cut consider their lack of depth at the international level for CB's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    But we could, if we weren't paying a ton of cap $ for Moore and Herc NOT to be playing.
    I have a very hard time believing we dumped two players but received no cap space in return, even if the rules say their cap hits should remain. I think there are shenanigans going on behind closed doors. If we weren't going to receive cap space by waiving one or both of them, why waive them? We had enough roster spots to keep both, sign Endoh and Babouli, and even if Moore & Gomez weren't going to play we could have used the time to search for a transfer for them.

It doesn't really make sense, so I have to assume we've freed up some amount of cap space by waiving them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do we know Babouli won't score goals, if he hasn't played yet?

how does that make sense?

FC Dallas gives young academy players a chance, and it's worked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. I am surprised that Ben Spencer is still wtih TFC II: https://twitter.com/bspenc9/status/707716138021609472

I don't think he had a single appearance last year, did he?