Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    In theory shouldn't TFC have some salary cap relief come June/July as we signed Gomez and if I remember correctly his contract ran till June.. so the summer transfer will see us bring in a reinforcement or two.

That being said I think outside of a true winger or most pressing need is a back up striker for Altidore, as IMO Giovinco will not be called out to the Italian national team unless a bunch of strikers get hurt from now till the start of Euro
    You are likely right about Gio, but I hope not, for his sake. he is a difference maker, including at the National team level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh non factor, the Italians won't get far in the Euro's anyway....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    Meh non factor, the Italians won't get far in the Euro's anyway....
    People said that four years ago, probably even more so.

For anyone who might be interested, my assessment of Italy's attacking situation (including Giovinco) heading into the summer. Stats are accurate as of two weeks ago.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2016...for-euro-2016/

Basically, Conte seems adamant on front three and Seba is likely third string at LW. If he's in France this summer its because, a) Conte really wants some goalscoring form on the bench, or b) Conte is considering changing system in-tournament. His May call-up will clarify his intentions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the last time Robbie Findley did this for us (or anyone, really)?

https://youtu.be/4Qn4c2LFbJ4?t=39

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another story on Borriello from Univision: http://www.univision.com/deportes/fu...nco-y-altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    People said that four years ago, probably even more so.

For anyone who might be interested, my assessment of Italy's attacking situation (including Giovinco) heading into the summer. Stats are accurate as of two weeks ago.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2016...for-euro-2016/

Basically, Conte seems adamant on front three and Seba is likely third string at LW. If he's in France this summer its because, a) Conte really wants some goalscoring form on the bench, or b) Conte is considering changing system in-tournament. His May call-up will clarify his intentions.
    I am a big Azzurri supporter, but I have to say that this will be possibly the weakest team they have fielded since WC 1986......4 years ago there were still champions like Marchisio and Pirlo on the team and Balotelli was still thriving on potential and at least playing regularly with his club.....this year there will be no Pirlo, no Marchisio (injured out 6 months), Chiellini who has been on and off healthy through the year, and Balo is now just an afterthought.....I always want them to do well, but this is a team in transition and I will be surprised if they make it out of the group.....if Giovinco does get called, I don't think he'll be missing for a very long time....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Another story on Borriello from Univision: http://www.univision.com/deportes/fu...nco-y-altidore
    Interesting - article mentions his contract is up in June. Bosman rule would mean that we could sign him for June at any time between then and now on a free - we may be angling for moving someone in June to sign him, but I still don't see how we can fit him with the wages he's on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theoretically we get Gomez off the books in june no? Although from the Larson article it seams like they will be sticking with the kids during the international break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Theoretically we get Gomez off the books in june no? Although from the Larson article it seams like they will be sticking with the kids during the international break.
    I posted this in another thread but basically if they want cover in they have to do it before the primary transfer window closes.
    If they want cover in for the Euros and Copa they will need to bring whoever that is before the primary transfer window closes on May11th.

Euros are June 10th - July 10th
    Copa is June 3- June 26th

Herc's contract comes off the books end of June.
    Secondary transfer window where TFC should have more budget flexibility opens on July 4th
    Given their budget situation and the comments in the comments in Larsons article, nobody coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I am a big Azzurri supporter, but I have to say that this will be possibly the weakest team they have fielded since WC 1986......4 years ago there were still champions like Marchisio and Pirlo on the team and Balotelli was still thriving on potential and at least playing regularly with his club.....this year there will be no Pirlo, no Marchisio (injured out 6 months), Chiellini who has been on and off healthy through the year, and Balo is now just an afterthought.....I always want them to do well, but this is a team in transition and I will be surprised if they make it out of the group.....if Giovinco does get called, I don't think he'll be missing for a very long time....
    but man would I love giovinco to shine for those 3 games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm honestly fine keeping the team the way it is with maybe trading a CB for some depth on the wing. Give Babouli, Endoh, Chapman, Manella, Hamilton a chance to see some minutes and prove they belong because they have guys like Edwards, Johnson, Uccelo etc all pushing to be the next player signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im okay with hamilton being let go if they arent going to use him. kid needs to play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    im okay with hamilton being let go if they arent going to use him. kid needs to play
    Kid went from scoring buckets of goals in USL to being loaned to portugal to being an after thought very quick. I want him to succeed as like Osorio he truly gets the relationship between supporter and player but if he isn't in the teams plans i'm sure Ottawa or a USL club would give the guy a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...-ride_aid39151

Some interesting comments from one of Arsenal's scouts on the state of scouting in MLS:

Based on what you’ve seen, what’s your take on the general state of American scouting, both for the U.S. national teams and within individual MLS clubs?

“I would say over the past decade it’s drastically improved. Especially in terms of the youth national teams. ODP was in full effect when I was growing up. To me it was a very broken system in that, if you had a bad weekend you had to wait a year for the cycle to start over essentially. Then you had to make the state team, and then you had to make the regional pool for the regional team.

“Whereas now, it’s essentially based off how you’re doing with your club team as long as you’re in kind of a competitive part of the country, and geographically we’ll always have issues with regards to scouting. But as long as you’re in kind of a competitive part of the country, there are people watching. There’s national training centers held often that are led by (U.S. Soccer) federation coaches and scouts. And the ability and opportunity to get seen by a national team employee at any given time is far higher than it was even when I was playing and coming up.

“With regards to MLS scouts, I am very lucky to work for one of the biggest clubs in the world that has a huge emphasis on their scouting network, as many people know with Arsenal. I was able to kind of dictate my own schedule and go wherever I needed to go as long as I knew it wouldn’t be a waste of my time. Unfortunately in scouting, 99 percent of your trips are - not a waste of time because you don’t know if you don’t go to watch the game - but you’re not signing out of every trip, for sure.

“The only players that I signed in the U.S. over those eight years were Joel Campbell and Gedion Zelalem. Two players in eight years, it’s not horrendous for Arsenal, but you’re not signing a player every trip you go on.

“With regards to MLS, I think unfortunately the monetary constraints of the teams restrict them to an extent. A lot of the times I would see a lot of teams at the same events together all kind of watching the same players they’d been told about by an agent back home. I know you have to be running a very stable basis in order to give somebody free will go to find players all over the world as well.

“At times I felt bad as well, because a lot of these guys (in MLS) would find players that they weren’t able to compete for on a salary point with. They’d go in saying that we can spend X amount of money on a left winger. They’d find a left winger, but they’d find out that clubs like Arsenal, Real Madrid, Manchester City were looking at the same player and they’d say, OK, well we’re not going to win this battle, so we might as well pack our bags and go home.

“It was good to see those scouts out on the road, and I’m glad that MLS clubs are starting to kind of focus more on finding players, not only in the U.S. but in Central America, South America and other regions. But at the same time, I’m in close contact with a lot of the scouts in MLS. They’ll send me messages saying hey man, we’re looking for this and we’re able to pay X amount of money, can you keep your eyes open. And they’ll define a player, and I’m like, you want Messi for just under $100,000 a year?

“It’s unfair to them, and I understand it, but they’re trying to do their jobs as well. It’s a bit of a tough one there.”
    Last edited by notthesun; 04-28-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like our CBs are staying put, at least for the time being. Red Bulls are picking up Aurelien Collin from Orlando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Looks like our CBs are staying put, at least for the time being. Red Bulls are picking up Aurelien Collin from Orlando.
    Now Orlando's CB depth isn't that great.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think NYRB just got worse. Collin was good at SKC for one season, started to drop off, got traded and didn't exactly do all that well in Orlando. I'd say he'll just be starting to show all his flaws by the time we play NYRB again in late May.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collin was a dirty player that I always hated when TFC played against him. Then he went to Orlando, and changed completely. I'm glad TFC didn't chase him when he was on the chopping block in Kensas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    but man would I love giovinco to shine for those 3 games
    I'm not really bothered by it either way.....if I'm forced to take a side I'd rather not have him go the the Euros.....I don't think he'd play a major factor in the tournament and he'd be gone from TFC for the period of time.....in that case its lose-lose from an Azzurri/TFC fan perspective really.....and I really feel that its going to play out like that....could be wrong, but just my opinion....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I'm not really bothered by it either way.....if I'm forced to take a side I'd rather not have him go the the Euros.....I don't think he'd play a major factor in the tournament and he'd be gone from TFC for the period of time.....in that case its lose-lose from an Azzurri/TFC fan perspective really.....and I really feel that its going to play out like that....could be wrong, but just my opinion....
    I've got a nasty feeling we're going to sell Seba this summer for a bunch of money. First there was the hint that we had a shocker coming this summer, then Seba did that interview with the Guardian in which he hinted pretty strongly he'd move from M LS and doesn't consider himself the face of the league.

Business is business and TFC has both lots of red ink and little real say in what players do in an option year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I've got a nasty feeling we're going to sell Seba this summer for a bunch of money. First there was the hint that we had a shocker coming this summer, then Seba did that interview with the Guardian in which he hinted pretty strongly he'd move from M LS and doesn't consider himself the face of the league.

Business is business and TFC has both lots of red ink and little real say in what players do in an option year.
    I hear ya.....I could see him go maybe as part of Conte's rebuild with Chelsea.....but at the same time from a TFC/Italian heritage perspective, I'm going to try to enjoy every game he plays with us and try not to worry about what happens next.....if he doesn't get sold, great he can be a TFC (and hopefully city sports) legend.....if he goes, like you said business is business, but at least he'd do so on good terms and with class unlike a guy like Defoe.....but here's hoping that our management will be able to fill in the (huge) gap should he get sold.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless he just wants to be closer to home I can't see the upside of him leaving from his perspective. He makes great money here and plays every minute of every game if he is able. He has said that he really likes the city and really likes that he can go around town without any of the hassle he used to get in Italy. He is still getting called up to the national team at the moment. Sometimes it is just a family decision though I guess. Will wait and see but I hope like hell he stays. They had better not plan on raising season ticket prices just yet until that is settled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By option year are you referring to his contract? He signed a 4 year deal, so if that includes an option on the last year then his option year would be next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed , I've mentioned this before , and why I wish we'd just centre our whole team around him , every teammate , formation . Yes we have to think of the future ......Will we ever see anyone like him again ? Doubtful . Lack of support from the league , refs etc will help push him to better surroundings and higher levels of competition . Yes , can't blame him . Then we're stuck with the high priced non-productive . Not good .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then Seba did that interview with the Guardian...
    Stop right there.

Did you read that thing?

It was worse then high school newspaper in quality.

Read nothing, absolutely NOTHING into that interview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Stop right there.

Did you read that thing?

It was worse then high school newspaper in quality.

Read nothing, absolutely NOTHING into that interview.
    Totally agree with you......brutal reporting

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol the English thinking a player would obviously be going to England.

Rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwthuh.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning big decision thing Larson dropped was in Vanney related thread so you would think that the big decision was related to Vanney, contract renewal etc, not a player sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leicester coach taking over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see either of Seba or Bradley leaving before they either bring us a cup or have fallen out of favour. Both want to prove they can be one of the main components in a championship team and lets hope that 1st step is in the voyageurs cup.