Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    maybe take advantage of the "young DP" rule.
    Isn't this gone now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Klinsmann has messed Bradley up and changed his game. Just a bit but enough to matter. Bradley goes forward far more often than he ever used to, since he arrived at TFC.

Vanney/Bez have probably been powerless to stop it. Not sure they want to. If Michael is going forward, Michael is going forward.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley played an amzing game last night, pushed up, protected the back four, was a real game changer. Was really impressed with what he brought to the table. I think with JK it really about being aggressive and making the most of your chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Klinsmann has messed Bradley up and changed his game. Just a bit but enough to matter. Bradley goes forward far more often than he ever used to, since he arrived at TFC.Vanney/Bez have probably been powerless to stop it. Not sure they want to. If Michael is going forward, Michael is going forward.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Klinsmann has messed Bradley up and changed his game. Just a bit but enough to matter. Bradley goes forward far more often than he ever used to, since he arrived at TFC.

Vanney/Bez have probably been powerless to stop it. Not sure they want to. If Michael is going forward, Michael is going forward.
    It's interesting you say that; at the start of last season Vanney was interviewed about this and basically made it sound like he and Klinsmann disagreed onhow Bradley should be used, and that Vanney and Bradley saw eye to eye on this; and for those first few games, he was primarily a defensive midfielder. Then he had a nats call up, played high, and was suddenly playing high for us too.

I think you might have something there. There might have been pressure from Jurgen to push him ahead.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley has been nailed to in front of the back line and indicated to Fox before the SKC game he likes playing there.

I would note that at the end of the first half last night Jurgen went and found Bradley and they were in a discussion that looked a lot like the ones he has with Vanney occasionally.

I get the feeling Bradley just goes for the USMNT where he is put, as long as its the midfield. I think he's the only player not played completely out of position apart from the keepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Isn't this gone now?
    Still active per 2016 roster rules. 20 yo and under = $150K cap hit, 21-23 = $200K cap hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Isn't this gone now?
    To be honest when I wrote that I was unsure myself, I hadn't seen it used in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rayo OKC - wiki this new NASL team... This team could take Chicago for sure. Lots of MLS experience - guys who made those 12-18 slots on the bench or are just past their prime.

When you look at our lack of depth - a few of these names stand out --- for ex. Ryan Johnson is back from Asia.. Could have been a perfect option behind Altidore up front.

This team is going to tear up NASL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that an MLS team would have taken a flyer on Johnson if he was still good enough for MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think that an MLS team would have taken a flyer on Johnson if he was still good enough for MLS.
    Ryan Johnson played in Chinese Super League 2014, 28 games, 4 goals. 2015, Seoul E Land, Korean 2nd div, 13 games, 1 goal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Bradley's positioning, I remember him playing high up for the US and he always dropped deep to pick it up. I think he can be very effective as an attacking midfielder. He's not a classic playmaker (though he does occasionally make some nice piercing passes in the final third) but he is effective at running in late and he is a goal threat. That being said, it is clear his mentality is to pick up the ball deep and be a first function midfielder. Often times he would drop deep for the US despite being their attacking midfielder and come even deeper than the double pivot, which caused a disconnect with the attack. I think with these types of players it is best to fit your formation and tactics around them especially considering he is one of our best players. If he was a simple role player you could force him into a position and if he doesn't abide then bench him, but with DPs you gotta maximize em.

One other thing I note is that he has a lot of mobility for a deep lying playmaker. Usually when you think of those types of players you think Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, most recent Steven Gerrard, etc. Really helps if you want to press high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard this kind of thinking expressed before but that assumes all else equal he's taking a MLS contract. Remember these contracts are not structured in the same manner and agents know this.

If you're 31 and likely on the homestretch of your playing days what sounds better:

1) a semi guaranteed contract with some compensation upside given the stage of your career.

2) a guaranteed contract, potentially at lesser money but greater length, attached to a greater sense of stability.

Most guys in his boat are taking number two. Talent leakage is not as bad as it once was but is still a thing at the back end of MLS rosters. I'd argue a good number of these guys on OKC are still MLS quality.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I've heard this kind of thinking expressed before but that assumes all else equal he's taking a MLS contract. Remember these contracts are not structured in the same manner and agents know this.

If you're 31 and likely on the homestretch of your playing days what sounds better:

1) a semi guaranteed contract with some compensation upside given the stage of your career.

2) a guaranteed contract, potentially at lesser money but greater length, attached to a greater sense of stability.

Most guys in his boat are taking number two. Talent leakage is not as bad as it once was but is still a thing at the back end of MLS rosters. I'd argue a good number of these guys on OKC are still MLS quality.
    I see your point but I would not call a new team in NASL more stable then MLS. We'll see. NASL making some moves this season now that Traffic is no longer running the show. CBS deal for some coverage announced today. Still, it all sounds more like the retirement league that MLS is often called by Eurosnobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    To be honest when I wrote that I was unsure myself, I hadn't seen it used in a while.
    Still in use. Dallas used it to sign Carlos Gruzero in the offseason.

Oh yea, given some of y'all were discussing Bradley and his position, KJ had this on it last night...http://www.tsn.ca/tfc-benefiting-fro...elder-1.462057

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point but I would not call a new team in NASL more stable then MLS. We'll see. NASL making some moves this season now that Traffic is no longer running the show. CBS deal for some coverage announced today. Still, it all sounds more like the retirement league that MLS is often called by Eurosnobs.
    I keep expecting NASL to collapse, but like a rat burrowing tunnels just fast enough to escape the rising tide, it survives.

NASL signed a TV deal with beIN. Player movements say they are getting some decent quality. Lots of smoke in terms of expansion as well.

It can all still be a ponzi scheme and the pyramid can collapse any moment, but NASL has shown to be more resilient than expected.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer is like any business, it's not just about a guy's talent. It's about his pay expectations (Rayo oKC is paying more than some MLS clubs for guys of his calibre) and fit with people who are looking. When Johnson first came into the league he looked like a real talent and had lots of overseas interest; but he ended up getting cut and playing indoor soccer for a year. The following year, he was San Jose's MVP. So it's not as easy as 'if he were good enough.' Lots of guys are good enough, available, and yet not in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you missed it in today's news thread, Kristian Jack has a piece about Bradley's role this season, and a bunch of related issues. Definitely further back now than in the past:

"TFC benefiting from Bradley as defensive midfielder"
    http://www.tsn.ca/tfc-benefiting-fro...elder-1.462057

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was expecting a much busier thread this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    I was expecting a much busier thread this morning.
    why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    why?
    I think he was referring to April Fools Day and people posting fake rumours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, right then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes in past years the April fools rumour mill was in full force, until that year Dero actually was traded on April 1..... I didn't believe it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's gotta be ricketts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was according to Molinaro.

Just say no Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts makes more sense now that we're playing a 4-3-3. I don't think he's that good, honestly, but if he's cheap depth I won't complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gross. I feel like I have less faith in Bez with each passing week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Gross. I feel like I have less faith in Bez with each passing week.
    Because we let a Canadian National team player train with us and maybe inquired about bringing him in as cheap depth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he stinks...wtf BEZ lets overpay for him to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    he stinks...wtf BEZ lets overpay for him to.
    not including our dp's, who are we overpaying atm?