Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the11.ca/2016/03/24/after-ano...-looks-to-mls/

Ricketts in discussion with MLS teams.
    Could TFC be looking to add some cheap attacking depth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    and Ryan Johnson, to my knowledge, score in K League Div 2. That's like, PDL level.
    This offseason the Cosmos signed 3 South American internationals and a Croatian international (not sure if Kranjcar still gets capped) that's stacked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    http://the11.ca/2016/03/24/after-ano...-looks-to-mls/

Ricketts in discussion with MLS teams.
    Could TFC be looking to add some cheap attacking depth?
    I'd be okay with that 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts would be Oduro 2.0. Could maybe offer a decent option off the bench to run past defenses late in the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Ricketts would be Oduro 2.0. Could maybe offer a decent option off the bench to run past defenses late in the game
    Oduro's doing pretty well at Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i'd be okay with Ricketts coming in.
    I'd think he'd be pretty cheap and has speed to burn.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need wide right midfielders/forwards.

Endoh
    Delgado
    Osorio
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-26-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fail to see how Ricketts solves anything. We already had one really fast guy with cinder block feet last year (who we cut), why pick up another? We'd be horrified at the mere thought of this if he didn't have a Canadian passport.

If we pick up anything for the wide forward spot it needs to have more quality than the other options discussed. Osorio isn't suited for the wide spot. That's too far up the park for him. He doesn't have the speed or the instinct in front of net. Delgado fits a little better and Endo does fine but neither should be relied on as a primary options.

We need a player who can consistently punish teams for keying on giovinco with multiple defenders. There's space out there, we need to capitalize.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I fail to see how Ricketts solves anything. We already had one really fast guy with cinder block feet last year (who we cut), why pick up another? We'd be horrified at the mere thought of this if he didn't have a Canadian passport.

If we pick up anything for the wide forward spot it needs to have more quality than the other options discussed. Osorio isn't suited for the wide spot. That's too far up the park for him. He doesn't have the speed or the instinct in front of net. Delgado fits a little better and Endo does fine but neither should be relied on as a primary options.

We need a player who can consistently punish teams for keying on giovinco with multiple defenders. There's space out there, we need to capitalize.
    I agree I'd only consider this as a depth move and pay for that much - NOT a Canadian premium. The more I think about the Gomez thing it isn't far from this sitch. He's been floating US National caps rep for years.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Gio and Altidore miss significant time in the summer, we are pretty thin with experianced attacking options. (Babouli-Hamilton-Endoh fron three??)
    If he comes for cheap I don't see how it could be a negative thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Play the kids. Bringing in experienced who can't score is not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should go for Larin...he's not going to be a big name for Orlando - they will want a DP soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    We should go for Larin...he's not going to be a big name for Orlando - they will want a DP soon.
    They have a couple more years before they have to sell him to somewhere in Europe. No reason for them to trade him inside the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    How many people would be okay with a Larin for Altidore straight swap? I mean in the global transfer market it doesn't make much sense but in MLS it does because we'd get a quality striker and wipe a full DP cap hit because Larin is a GA and they get a local guy with mad exposure and USMNT experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    How many people would be okay with a Larin for Altidore straight swap? I mean in the global transfer market it doesn't make much sense but in MLS it does because we'd get a quality striker and wipe a full DP cap hit because Larin is a GA and they get a local guy with mad exposure and USMNT experience
    Make it happen boss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why would orlando do that..they get great crowds already,larin and jozy roughly score the same and jozy s injuries,not to mention the money..100k to 4.5 mil...and plzzz no to ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    why would orlando do that..they get great crowds already,larin and jozy roughly score the same and jozy s injuries,not to mention the money..100k to 4.5 mil...and plzzz no to ricketts.
    I think someone said it already.. Larin is on the cusp of being a DP/being sold so:

1.I don't think they're ready to offer Larin the seven figure salary it'll eventually take to keep Larin from going to Europe/Mexico.

2. On the other hand I think they would be prepared to pay for a legitimate USMNT name like Jozy especially in what is going to be a position of need for them when Larin inevitably leaves them.

3. The league would have to be on our side with this. They'd love to have Jozy or Bradley in a major US market so that's one check for Jozy to Orlando. They'd obviously love to keep their young talent here so that's the second check for Larin to Toronto. And the third check comes from having Larin in Toronto from a marketing perspective as a CMNT/ local guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin is going to be sold to Europe if he has another solid season. Orlando is going to cash in big time.

Orlando's DP strategy also looks to SA/Europe instead of US. Altidore won't put more bums in the seats, especially when Orlando moves to their new arena. Orlando is pursuing a marketing strategy targeting Brazil. Altidore is irrelevant in that regard.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Larin isn't sold to Europe within the next year I would be shocked. They won't be trading him or doing anything other than cashing in when someone offers 7-8 figures for him.

If looking in league you probably look at Tesho or outside of league maybe Hume but not sure he leaves India for a backup role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin is going to be sold to Europe if he has another solid season. Orlando is going to cash in big time.

Orlando's DP strategy also looks to SA/Europe instead of US. Altidore won't put more bums in the seats, especially when Orlando moves to their new arena. Orlando is pursuing a marketing strategy targeting Brazil. Altidore is irrelevant in that regard.
    I think Larin's upside is actually greatly underappreciated in our league. He's exceptionally fast, extremely strong, good in the air, has great movement off the ball AND, most importantly, an ungodly quick release. He gets HARD shots away, accurately, without much perceptible backswing.

I think he could probably start and be effective in the championship right away, and after a few years of playing a more structured tactical game move up to a top league. He's not going to Europe, I would guess, for anything less than $5M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for mentioning his quick shot/releaae. Doesnt seem anyone else appreciates that. Its the reason he scores, keepers dont have enough time to react. Its just a straight shot to the corners. Deadly like quick wrist shot in hockey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so much a strategy as doing what's easiest. Their owner is Brazilian and has a ton of connects to Brazilian agents and insiders. It's not on overt attempt to build bring Brazilians into the club for footballing or culture reasons. It's just what's in front of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It's not so much a strategy as doing what's easiest. Their owner is Brazilian and has a ton of connects to Brazilian agents and insiders. It's not on overt attempt to build bring Brazilians into the club for footballing or culture reasons. It's just what's in front of them.
    It absolutely is a strategy. Orlando is full of Brazilian ex-pats and tourists, why do you think a Brazilian bought the club? They've done quite a lot to position themselves as "Brazils MLS team"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I would love this AFTER he goes to Europe. I fear that the extra pressure we put on our own may affect his club game here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It absolutely is a strategy. Orlando is full of Brazilian ex-pats and tourists, why do you think a Brazilian bought the club? They've done quite a lot to position themselves as "Brazils MLS team"
    In what way? They've only just signed their third brazilian player. The other two are Kaka, who IIRC the owner knew personally before he bought his stake in the club, and Pedro Ribeiro, who grew up in the U.S. They also have just as many Englishmen on the team. And We have two and a half french players - are we France's MLS team?

And I don't know why Da Silva bought a controlling stake in the club. Why did an Englishman set up a USL team in Austin and then move it to Orlando? When you have that much money it really doesn't matter. I'm sure it's nice that it worked out that way for Da Silva, what with a lot of Brazilians coming through Central Florida for some reason, but the team isn't bending over backwards to sign Brazilians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    In what way? They've only just signed their third brazilian player. The other two are Kaka, who IIRC the owner knew personally before he bought his stake in the club, and Pedro Ribeiro, who grew up in the U.S. They also have just as many Englishmen on the team. And We have two and a half french players - are we France's MLS team?

And I don't know why Da Silva bought a controlling stake in the club. Why did an Englishman set up a USL team in Austin and then move it to Orlando? When you have that much money it really doesn't matter. I'm sure it's nice that it worked out that way for Da Silva, what with a lot of Brazilians coming through Central Florida for some reason, but the team isn't bending over backwards to sign Brazilians.
    Here is a quote from Da Silva when he bought the club ""The potential of soccer is great and I will take Orlando City to the MLS. We have chosen this team because Brazilians love Orlando"
    Signing Brazilian players is part of a wider strategy to make the club more visible down there but they've also done the below

Hired Brazilians to front office and business roles
    Had Brazilian clubs come to play in Orlando
    Attracted Brazilian National Team to Orlando area for camps and friendlies. They'll also play one of their Copa America games there.
    Gone to Brazil for training camps and friendlies
    Partnered with the Magic and Orlando Tourist board to offer tickets to games as part of package tours to Brazilian tourists.

They haven't got a lot on the roster currently but they've tried to sign Robhino and Ganso and are regularly linked to journeymen from the Brazilian league.I believe they've had quite a few trialists from Brazil for their USL team too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Here is a quote from Da Silva when he bought the club ""The potential of soccer is great and I will take Orlando City to the MLS. We have chosen this team because Brazilians love Orlando"
    Signing Brazilian players is part of a wider strategy to make the club more visible down there but they've also done the below

Hired Brazilians to front office and business roles
    Had Brazilian clubs come to play in Orlando
    Attracted Brazilian National Team to Orlando area for camps and friendlies. They'll also play one of their Copa America games there.
    Gone to Brazil for training camps and friendlies
    Partnered with the Magic and Orlando Tourist board to offer tickets to games as part of package tours to Brazilian tourists.

They haven't got a lot on the roster currently but they've tried to sign Robhino and Ganso and are regularly linked to journeymen from the Brazilian league.I believe they've had quite a few trialists from Brazil for their USL team too.
    Huh. well, thanks for the info I guess. Color me wrong.

I still find it amusing that people, especially Brazillians, think Central florida is a prime tourist spot. I wonder how many went only to be confronted with the Urban Sprawl that rivals the worst parts of Brazil in terms of aesthetics and significant amounts of poverty. There's soooooo many other places they could go. I want to know who the guy is in Brazil who thought it would be hilarious to mislead people so badly. He's an evil, evil man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    If Larin isn't sold to Europe within the next year I would be shocked. They won't be trading him or doing anything other than cashing in when someone offers 7-8 figures for him.

If looking in league you probably look at Tesho or outside of league maybe Hume but not sure he leaves India for a backup role.
    No way he goes for 8 figures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the beat View Post
    No way he goes for 8 figures.
    Miazga would have gone for 8 figures if his contract wasn't running down. If Larin continues his trajectory this season I don't see why teams in Europe wouldn't pay a premium for a big young striker who has proven that he knows how to finish at a very high level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore was sold for 10 mil. Miazga went for 5 mil. 10 mil might be too much but I can see Larin go for 7-8 mil if he pots 15+ goal again.

It'll depend on financial condition of European teams though. England is hard to get into pending on work permit
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano