Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dreaddogs View Post
    I think BEZ will be moving Bradley before Altidore...... reports from Italy.. football-italia.com states that Sampdoria and Torino are looking at Bradley..... Bradley interested as his wife is from Italy and he speaks Italian.....

If he goes then definitely Blanco will be coming shortly....

Altidore will be moved during the winter transfer window... just my opinion....
    i don't think it's impossible at all for them to move MB and replace with Blanco. The new head of MLSE came from Air Canada, obviously to control costs. If they save $4 million on the annual contract, it's significant. Same with moving Jozy, although who the replacement would be is unclear, and I don't think they could get away with moving both at the same time. Bradley out Blanco in they could defend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    i don't think it's impossible at all for them to move MB and replace with Blanco. The new head of MLSE came from Air Canada, obviously to control costs. If they save $4 million on the annual contract, it's significant. Same with moving Jozy, although who the replacement would be is unclear, and I don't think they could get away with moving both at the same time. Bradley out Blanco in they could defend.
    we're not selling the heart of our team and our captain. especially to clubs who's entire payrolls don't add up to what Bradley's making here. Bradley is going to retire here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    we're not selling the heart of our team and our captain. especially to clubs who's entire payrolls don't add up to what Bradley's making here. Bradley is going to retire here.
    I wrote the same thing in another thread but I think this case is over stated. The team is already constructed to perform without michael bradley because it has to factor in his USMNT duty. On the leadership end we now have lots of guys who fit the bill: Irwin, Moor, Cheyrou, Johnson, to name a few. Of course Bradley is unique and none of the players I listed can fully replace his image, quality on the field, or position in the lockerroom. But I fully believe the team is capable of moving on and signing someone solid who plays an attacking role form midfield could work wonders.

In the end Seba is the guy who is hard to replace. Without his influence on the field it looks like we lack an identity. And I'd stand by that statement even if it was an 11 with Bradley and Altidore in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Bradley's the heart, Seba's the backbone and guys like Irwin and Morrow are the reliable arms. Cheyrou's the brains and Johnson's the foot we kick up our rival's backsides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Bradley's the heart, Seba's the backbone and guys like Irwin and Morrow are the reliable arms. Cheyrou's the brains and Johnson's the foot we kick up our rival's backsides.
    Is Jozy in the mix?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Is Jozy in the mix?!
    He'd probably be the other foot with the pulled hamstring
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 07-27-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Anybody catch Bez on Toteras show? Anything of interest pop up?
    Anyone???

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my goodness....3 TFC players make what an average NHL player makes (okay maybe a bit more) and they sell 30, 000 seats a game in a sport that is growing, and a team that boasts the highest number of seasons ticket holders in Toronto. I can tell you the CEO of MLSE is not one bit concerned about those 3 players salaries. He is concerned about hemorrhaging money with stadiums and other assets. The teams are allocated their operational budgets and are autonomous from the CEO in that regard - That's why the Raps, Leafs and TFC have focused presidential types running their respective brands.

If TFC moved Bradley, Seba or Altidore, the money goes in the MLS and it the remainder has to stay within the TFC silo. When the rest of the team is capped at 3 million, its peanuts guys and it makes no sense to move them until either a) the player wants out or b) the contract expires.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    my goodness....3 TFC players make what an average NHL player makes (okay maybe a bit more) and they sell 30, 000 seats a game in a sport that is growing, and a team that boasts the highest number of seasons ticket holders in Toronto. I can tell you the CEO of MLSE is not one bit concerned about those 3 players salaries. He is concerned about hemorrhaging money with stadiums and other assets. The teams are allocated their operational budgets and are autonomous from the CEO in that regard - That's why the Raps, Leafs and TFC have focused presidential types running their respective brands.

If TFC moved Bradley, Seba or Altidore, the money goes in the MLS and it the remainder has to stay within the TFC silo. When the rest of the team is capped at 3 million, its peanuts guys and it makes no sense to move them until either a) the player wants out or b) the contract expires.
    Maybe an average NBA basketball player but not an average NHL player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone???
    Bez outright denies Totera's claim that they were targeting Blanco. He states that under the current salary cap space, it would not be possible. Totera later stood his ground, says he'd die by his source. Obviously, Blanco is still under contract with another team and Bez cannot really say anything, but he continued to press him unnecessarily, as if to say "So it's a lie? You calling my source a liar?" But later he did manage to say he's got a lot of time for guys like Bez to come on his show on short notice and address rumours up front.

I like Totera's fanatic passion for Canadian soccer and the grassroots soccer in this country, but as a journo, I think there are opportunities for tact... I remember him asking Jozy about his scoring slump that clearly upset him... "You haven't been scoring, but you are paid to score." Altidore was visibly pissed at the framing of the question as saying he not doing what he's paid to do. He's not wrong to ask about the slump, but damn dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Bez outright denies Totera's claim that they were targeting Blanco. He states that under the current salary cap space, it would not be possible. Totera later stood his ground, says he'd die by his source. Obviously, Blanco is still under contract with another team and Bez cannot really say anything, but he continued to press him unnecessarily, as if to say "So it's a lie? You calling my source a liar?" But later he did manage to say he's got a lot of time for guys like Bez to come on his show on short notice and address rumours up front.

I like Totera's fanatic passion for Canadian soccer and the grassroots soccer in this country, but as a journo, I think there are opportunities for tact... I remember him asking Jozy about his scoring slump that clearly upset him... "You haven't been scoring, but you are paid to score." Altidore was visibly pissed at the framing of the question as saying he not doing what he's paid to do. He's not wrong to ask about the slump, but damn dude
    Thanks, appreciate the recap. I missed the first half of the interview when it was live last night and the replay vid wouldn't work for me this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totera has passion, and Canadian soccer needs a giant jolt of it

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Totera has passion, and Canadian soccer needs a giant jolt of it
    he also need to exercise tact sometimes. Otherwise he's going to burn a lot of bridges.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/201...schmid-unhappy

Clint isn't happy in Seattle.

I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't mind moving Jozy and bringing in Clint to play the true #10 role. Don't know if Sounders need a striker though.
    Keep Dempsey far, far way from this team. Especially dropping a good team guy like Altidore to pick up this dumpster fire of a personality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Keep Dempsey far, far way from this team. Especially dropping a good team guy like Altidore to pick up this dumpster fire of a personality.
    plus, if people are irritated by the perceived low productivity of JA, they would go insane with Dempsey. He's a poacher, most of the rest of the time he looks like he's waiting for a bus to arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    plus, if people are irritated by the perceived low productivity of JA, they would go insane with Dempsey. He's a poacher, most of the rest of the time he looks like he's waiting for a bus to arrive.
    Is that how Seattle are playing him? I don't watch their games, but from his time in Pl where I did watch him a lot he is not a poacher, he plays off the main striker. Maybe that's part of his unhappiness right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    he also need to exercise tact sometimes. Otherwise he's going to burn a lot of bridges.
    meh, theres enough PC talk / line walking to go around, the consequences are his problem.

For entertainment, I like his style

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a dumpster full of oil soaked rags waiting for somebody to toss in a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the comparison
    too close? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Maybe an average NBA basketball player but not an average NHL player.
    Let's not get started on NBA salaries. An average NBA starter is going to earn more than a whole MLS team in a year or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listened to part of the interview while at work and from what I heard Bez said "he isn't a target of ours for this year". My guess is he is someone they are keeping tabs on and that a team in MLS inquired about him and that could have even been us but was more a feeling out of what a future cost could look like instead of filling a current opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let's not get started on NBA salaries. An average NBA starter is going to earn more than a whole MLS team in a year or two.
    For 16-17 the average NBA player is making $6.01 mil so almost double our salary cap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Is that how Seattle are playing him? I don't watch their games, but from his time in Pl where I did watch him a lot he is not a poacher, he plays off the main striker. Maybe that's part of his unhappiness right now.
    Ok, maybe that wasn't the best description. Some of both but definitely not carrying the load up front. When Martins left Dempsey was expected to do a lot more for himself.

Even last season, he's become ill-tempered and surly. I'm not even going to try to unpack that.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 07-28-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a few players that might fit that criteria...

(as mentioned by others, Stanciu seems like he could be one of the better fits)
    Player Country Club Team Age
    Karol Linetty Poland Lech Poznan 21
    Filip Starzynski Poland Zaglebie Lubin 25
    Bartosz Kapustka Poland Cracovia Kraków 19
    Olcay Sahan Turkey Besiktas 29
    Nicolae Stanciu Romania Steaua Bucharest 23
    Adrian Poppa Romania Steaua Bucharest 28
    Viktor Kovalenko Ukraine Shakhtar Donetsk 20

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Larson's piece on our search for an attacking mid: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/27...r-window-shuts

To summarize, he says we aren't signing Blanco because he can't fit under our cap. We have targets within MLS but we'd probably have to give up a good young player, which the team doesn't want to do, so at this point an international signing is looking more likely. Team is trying to get it done before the August 4th transfer deadline. And this hint is dropped:

Ideas? I'm guessing this would be a TAM-level player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chance on Kapustka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chance on Kapustka.
    He just signed with Leicester City Yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's official but yea, he's on his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

They brought this guy in to control costs, otherwise it makes no sense to have him. if you can have an equal team and save 3-4 million a year, he'll do it in a heart beat.

I am not saying this will happen, just that it is possible and we should not be blind to it. Also that we should enjoy Seba, The General, and Jozy while we have them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Ok, maybe that wasn't the best description. Some of both but definitely not carrying the load up front. When Martins left Dempsey was expected to do a lot more for himself.

Even last season, he's become ill-tempered and surly. I'm not even going to try to unpack that.
    plus he punched our player in the nuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sahan and Poppa are the most likely out of those. I would imagine the rest have better offers/deals in front of them the we could offer. No chance on Kovalenko or Stanciu especially.