Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Depends on whether he is slowing down.

I just think there is a potential with Alitdore to have an asset for the next 7 years, whereas with Podolski, we are talking about 2.5.
    Altidore gets paid way too much though for what he offers. Id gladly keep him but not on a DP contract. He just isnt that great and the ~5m or whatever he gets paid could be spent much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this is legit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on whether he is slowing down.

I just think there is a potential with Alitdore to have an asset for the next 7 years, whereas with Podolski, we are talking about 2.5.
    The thing with a designated players is that you don't really need them around for long term success, you bring them in to to put your over the top, Giovinco/Bradley being the glaring exception because they are coming in their prime.

There is no shortage of quality players if we continue to offer 5M+. Getting a new DP every 2-3 years isn't that bad of an idea if they are star like Podolski.

We are in the win now mentality so Altidore has to perform soon.

These rumors interesting though.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-12-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swapping Podolski for Altidore would be a brilliant bit of business. Not getting my hopes up though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the beat View Post
    Swapping Podolski for Altidore would be a brilliant bit of business. Not getting my hopes up though.
    No it wouldn't. That swap would only exacerbate our problems of our best players not fitting perfectly together. It would be more of a disaster in terms of roster set up then anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No it wouldn't. That swap would only exacerbate our problems of our best players not fitting perfectly together. It would be more of a disaster in terms of roster set up then anything else.
    Yeah having Giovinco and Podolski attack MLS defenders would be a total disaster. You're right, silly me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah having Giovinco and Podolski attack MLS defenders would be a total disaster. You're right, silly me.
    Having two guys who like to play the same way in the same position would not be a good idea. If we are going to spend that much cap space, I'd rather have complementary players.

That's a lot of money that can buy something complimentary.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya a swap would shock me. In a good way.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having two guys who like to play the same way in the same position would not be a good idea. If we are going to spend that much cap space, I'd rather have complementary players.

That's a lot of money that can buy something complimentary.
    If Lovitz is playable on the left side, I'm sure Podolsky could be accommodated. Would you turn down Bale because our attack on the left is shored up? Would you have turned down Giovinco if it meant playing someone in their secondary position?

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Ya a swap would shock me. In a good way.
    Not a swap per se but we'd obviously have to free up a DP spot. But yes, I'd take Podolsky over Altidore every day of the week. Still can't see it happening though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Lovitz is playable on the left side, I'm sure Podolsky could be accommodated.....

Seba is better from the left. Its two players that are better in the same position.

We can find somebody else who can play in a way complimentary to Seba.

Geez, you guys make it sound like Podolski is the only possible $8 million a year player out there.

If we are going to do the dropping of Jozy thing, there are better choices.

We swim in a MUCH larger fish tank now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a swap deal is possible. We can still register players as our window is still open, however there's is closed meaning if we did swap Altidore for Podolski they wouldn't be able to register him until the summer.

Basically: if podolski comes in then Altidore goes out in a seperate deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we were going to drop Altidore I'd have thought it would be during the off-season.

Not going to put much stock in this for now - wouldn't be the first time we're linked with a big name but nothing happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems to be a winger capable of playing on the left and the right, having a better FIFA rating when playing on the right
    It may make sense in that he wont be gone for many international games given his age and yet seems to be a good fit for our new playing style. Would be a shame to see Jozy go given he is a proven goal scorer in this league but theoretically Lukas does seem like the better fit.

Seba - Endoh - Lukas ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba is better from the left. Its two players that are better in the same position.

We can find somebody else who can play in a way complimentary to Seba.

Geez, you guys make it sound like Podolski is the only possible $8 million a year player out there.

If we are going to do the dropping of Jozy thing, there are better choices.

We swim in a MUCH larger fish tank now.
    This^ there are a lot of quality strikers (Balotelli please) out there not named podolski if this is the route the FO are going down..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This^ there are a lot of quality strikers (Balotelli please) out there not named podolski if this is the route the FO are going down..
    Balotelli?? Id rather have Bekker, Bitchy the Hawk or my Grandma putting on boots, he is a walking disaster waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Balotelli?? Id rather have Bekker, Bitchy the Hawk or my Grandma putting on boots, he is a walking disaster waiting to happen.
    But losing with balo would be so much more fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Balotelli is a sideshow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One X factor that could be in play with Galatasaray is that they have been banned from European play for a year for breaching Financial Fair Play. I can imagine that they are looking to dump salary.

If I put my MLS conspiracy hat on, what are the odds that the league opens up a 4th DP? There were rumours around the CBA, which probably turned into the TAM situation, but with China splashing money around and post Euro is a prime time for players to move on to other leagues..... not the craziest thing I've heard. However, until I hear more, I would imagine that this is just agent talk. I also think that Jozy *could* have a breakout year. I can't see Seba or Bradley going until at least this off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's 30 and injury prone. Overpaying to get him here for 4 years would be a terrible deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit we have come a long way since 2007. I cant help but grin ear to ear when I see this discussion. Podolski is the kind of player who has name recognition with all soccer fans. He will sell a shit load of shirts. Not to mention hes got 125 caps for Germany and hes one of the best goal scorers on the international stage in recent history.

Whether we get him or not, I love seeing TFC's name linked to players like this. I feel like TFC wants to be the big fish in the MLS pond. Few clubs have aspirations like ours in the MLS. Just enjoy it! Someday that cap will be gone and we can spend like the big boys.

Even at Altidores best he is not in the same league as a 30 yr old Podolski.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Re-vised headline: TFC seeks "bargain" No. 9

I asked Vanney about it last night in our brief one-on-one

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/11...of-nycfc-clash
    thanks, interesting and good luck to Konopka. Best at saving penalties we've had. And great club spirit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtraffordPEI View Post
    Holy shit we have come a long way since 2007. I cant help but grin ear to ear when I see this discussion. Podolski is the kind of player who has name recognition with all soccer fans. He will sell a shit load of shirts. Not to mention hes got 125 caps for Germany and hes one of the best goal scorers on the international stage in recent history.

Whether we get him or not, I love seeing TFC's name linked to players like this. I feel like TFC wants to be the big fish in the MLS pond. Few clubs have aspirations like ours in the MLS. Just enjoy it! Someday that cap will be gone and we can spend like the big boys.

Even at Altidores best he is not in the same league as a 30 yr old Podolski.
    I find it funny that people are spanking for a guy that's never scored well other than for the national team, is often injured, and is over 30. No way ever does Podolski manage even what Altidore did last year, with his international leaves and injuries.

edit; and he will cost almost $4m a year more according to reports. You Gooner lovers are hilarious.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 03-12-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    CNN of all outlets does not touch rumour mill material so there must be something to it, I would have to believe.
    No, there's no such thing as a major commercial outlet anymore that doesn't report unconfirmed rumors. They just wait until it cycles through a reputable outlet before they report it.

It's as easy as this:

Mlsrumors, a highly unreliable twitter feed, reports Toronto is looking for a #9 and has anyone heard who, in the hopes of scaring up a rumor to report.

An agent sees this on twitter and tells a reporter at an outlet that doesn't require a hard confirmation that it might be Podolski. I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, he tells the young and less-than-well-trained journalist. He reports it on a local news or sports website and it is picked up by other European outlets. Maybe one of them calls the original paper or agent and maybe not; either way, they get a vague "maybe this is really happening" answer.

Presto, everyone else picks it up from the other outlets, as they're owned by big companies, often even chains that share stories on an internal network.

The only people who genuinely avoid this most of the time are the publicly funded outlets, Associated Press, the Canadian Press and the British Press Association.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No, there's no such thing as a major commercial outlet anymore that doesn't report unconfirmed rumors. They just wait until it cycles through a reputable outlet before they report it.

It's as easy as this:

Mlsrumors, a highly unreliable twitter feed, reports Toronto is looking for a #9 and has anyone heard who, in the hopes of scaring up a rumor to report.

An agent sees this on twitter and tells a reporter at an outlet that doesn't require a hard confirmation that it might be Podolski. I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, he tells the young and less-than-well-trained journalist. He reports it on a local news or sports website and it is picked up by other European outlets. Maybe one of them calls the original paper or agent and maybe not; either way, they get a vague "maybe this is really happening" answer.

Presto, everyone else picks it up from the other outlets, as they're owned by big companies, often even chains that share stories on an internal network.

The only people who genuinely avoid this most of the time are the publicly funded outlets, Associated Press, the Canadian Press and the British Press Association.
    Pretty much accurate. I can't count the amount of political "news" especially, that comes from anonymous sources - and is typically someone trying to put a specific narrative out there, which the press are all too willing to oblige, if it gets them an "exclusive".

I've seen all kinds of "news" spread over the internet, that all leads back to one unsourced report which was picked up by a blog, then picked up by an aggregator website like HuffPo or Buzzfeed, then the Buzzfeed report is picked up by ABC or CNN - everyone assuming their respective source along the chain had done due diligence (or not caring, which is worse).

I think wire services are pretty much the only bastion left, and they have their own problems.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    We seem to have a pretty good group of guys, and a healthy locker room culture going on. Balotelli would be throwing a hand grenade into that.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I find it funny that people are spanking for a guy that's never scored well other than for the national team, is often injured, and is over 30. No way ever does Podolski manage even what Altidore did last year, with his international leaves and injuries.

edit; and he will cost almost $4m a year more according to reports. You Gooner lovers are hilarious.
    Umm Poldi has accomplished more than anyone on TFC. Futhermore when he got the chances he always banged them in....LOL you are seriously comparing a terrible player in Altidore that couldn't hack it in Europe to Podolski???

Seriously?? He has a better scoring record then Giovinco who only managed like 15 goals in his entire time at juve. A much much better scoring record than Altidore. I assume you're American and massively biased...
    Last edited by vortexdr; 03-13-2016 at 08:12 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

It's as easy as this:

I watch CNN all the time and don't even know where they would even come across such a story. With the 24 hour news cycle and all that is going on in the world for them to even give such a small story a run.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue of not wanting Podolski is not because of an infatuation with Altidore. If we could get better, I'd trade even Seba. (if you wouldn't trade him for one of Barca's big 3, ur not thinking this through)

I don't care how great Podolksi has been. He's too old for the investment and doesn't fit with the league MVP.

This idea you can take player x and have him work with player y automatically has shown itself to be false all over the world.

Podolski - great player, doesn't fit our system, not worth the investment.

No, if we were to move Jozy on, we would be picking up a 27-29 year old #9 who is not getting minutes for some top European team but has a high soccer IQ. Go find that guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC is not signing Podolski.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy does not justify his $4.5m/year salary, time to ship him out. Gilberto would have scored the same amount of goals,if not more, last season, if played uptop with Seba.