Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2016 In-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc.

Now with the season started, it's time to start a new thread.

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just acquired GAM and an international roster spot from Seattle for TAM... International signing coming? Better be a striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Just acquired GAM and an international roster spot from Seattle for TAM... International signing coming? Better be a striker
    Correction, we sent an international roster spot to Seattle along with TAM. Receiving GAM in return.

My guess as to what's happening: Grant Wahl reported earlier today Seattle is looking to fill their DP hole with a playmaking attacker. So that answers the question of why they wanted TAM and an international slot.

On our end, I think Bez is most likely looking to sign a forward to fix our depth up there. We likely have enough international slots already. We probably received a bit more in GAM than we gave up in TAM since we threw in that slot for Seattle. So my guess is we sign a veteran forward on a short contract (1 or 2 years) using our remaining TAM to buy him down, and the GAM we receive in this trade is used to buy down someone else's contract (e.g. someone like Johnson or Perquis) in order to create enough cap room to add the TAM signing (TAM signings can only be bought down as far as 150k for a cap hit, so you need at least that much space to add one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know what the international spot does for us. Pretty sure we already have two open. Either way, good asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC traded away the spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes sense then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be clear, we sent them the spot and TAM for GAM. An MLS trade if I've ever seen one.
    Last edited by dantdot; 03-08-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    An MLS trade if I've ever seen one.
    Best description ever. Only in the MLS can we generate this much discussion, when nothing (yet alot at the same time) happened.
    TFC and Seattle went to the Bank of MLS, only instead of exchanging $CDN for $USD, its GAM for TAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's the opposite of what you said portu.
    Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has acquired GAM (General Allocation Money) from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) and an international roster spot.
    TRANSACTION: Toronto FC acquires GAM (General Allocation Money) from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) and an international roster spot.on Monday, March 7, 2016."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we now hv 2 intl slots left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must be a player incoming that won't earn enough to qualify for TAM to be utilized, but enough that we need to pay down the salary with GAM.

At least, I think that's what it means, lol.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-08-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we just needed some allocation to be cap compliant. TAM can't be used on players making less than the max cap hit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I think we just needed some allocation to be cap compliant. TAM can't be used on players making less than the max cap hit.
    I thought cap compliance was necessary by last week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I thought cap compliance was necessary by last week.
    It was, but then again, MLS tossed NYCFC a free international slot so that they could be roster compliant, so honestly who the hell knows. Maybe we're trying to pay off one of Moore's or Gomez' hits, or both, maybe we're over the cap and the league nudged us saying "we'll let this slide for now but you better do something about it soon", or maybe they just shrugged and wiped those contracts off the books and now we're looking to add someone else. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors besides the fact that something is definitely going on, so at a certain point you just have to forget about trying to make sense of things and just see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be that the transaction was made last week and they just announced it today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/ENBSports/status/707331404988813312

Aaron Nielsen is hinting that it may be a Canadian we sign with this deal. My guess: Junior Hoilett, whose contract expires in Summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Aaron Nielsen is hinting that it may be a Canadian we sign with this deal. My guess: Junior Hoilett, whose contract expires in Summer.
    This... could actually work. He slots right in at RW over Endoh with everyone healthy, LW if Giovinco or Altidore are missing.

I'm not sure what kind of wage he would demand though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Reports on Google shows Hoilett's wages are 2.6 million pounds. Even if it's a free transfer, not sure if Hoilett is open to a significant wage reduction to play for Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Reports on Google shows Hoilett's wages are 2.6 million pounds. Even if it's a free transfer, not sure if Hoilett is open to a significant wage reduction to play for Toronto.
    Maybe use allocation to bump him way up for the 2nd half of the year, then move out Jozy and make him a DP the year after should it work out well? IDK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC is going Canadian, I'd say Simeon Jackson is more likely than Hoilett at this point. CF who is much more affordable, also with an expiring contract.
    Last edited by Bobo; 03-08-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    If TFC is going Canadian, I'd say Simeon Jackson is more likely than Hoilett at this point. CF who is much more affordable, also with an expiring contract.
    Problem with him is that he is terrible. If getting a CF who can score some goals is the plan then Jackson isn't the guy.

For me, I'd be happy with an experienced winger, preferably one comfortable on either side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    I doubt Hoilett will get anything close to that now. When he got that contract he was much younger with a lot more upside and was scoring in the Premier league. The contract at that time was also a gamble overpaying hoping he could become a great striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett would be great and all....but don't we desperately need a striker? I know people think that Babouli and Hamilton should get any extra playing time "because Canadian". But maybe we should get an experienced striker? Especially since Jozy and Seba will be missing quite a few games this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a Canadian my guess is Tesho. Won't start at Dallas and would work out wide for us on either side. Only thing is I'm not sure what we could offer Dallas other than draft pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on salary we could be bringing in hoilett this year (half year) and using TAM to buy him down considering we have at least 800k in TAM for next year which we can't have touched yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think his form has been too good lately to consider a move to mls (Hoilett)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Problem with him is that he is terrible. If getting a CF who can score some goals is the plan then Jackson isn't the guy.

For me, I'd be happy with an experienced winger, preferably one comfortable on either side.
    Well we all know who plays on the left or plays on the right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

Agreed. All due respect to Jackson but he is not what we need here.

Would much prefer if we just signed the best player out there rather than stuck to the pool of Canadians. Something is up though with these signings. WJ in Toronto, Fraiser Aird in Vancouver.... They seem out of the ordinary. League must be pushing for these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Would much prefer if we just signed the best player out there rather than stuck to the pool of Canadians. Something is up though with these signings. WJ in Toronto, Fraiser Aird in Vancouver.... They seem out of the ordinary. League must be pushing for these.
    What? Johnson chose to come here over going to chicago. Those were his two options. The league had nothing to do with it.

And Aird was viewed as a half-decent, versatile, cheap loan signing for a team that stockpiles guys like that. I think you're reading into things too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Or they are realizing that the marketplace wants a strong Canadian content. By no means am I someone who wants to sign Canadians for the sake of signing Canadians but when/if our top national team players come available I would hope we are in the mix for them if they fit our system. Hoilett/Atiba are guys I would love to see in red.