Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC media coverage.

I think we need a thread on who to watch,listen and read for TFC coverage.if not delete this thread MODS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone need to invite Doug Smith to the Supporter's Section this weekend.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_...upporters.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I think we need a thread on who to watch,listen and read for TFC coverage.if not delete this thread MODS.
    Would tend to agree, the Argos thread is a bit of kicking the Argos while they're down (deservedly) and a bit of bitching about media coverage of TFC. Should be a separate thread as you have started here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone listen to Joey Vendetta on Fan 590 this morning? He was in for Jeff Blair and during his 8:45 blab with Blundell talked a lot of TFC (wherein Blundell patted himself on the back for always saying TFC deserved more coverage). Interestingly, Vendetta was pimping his TFC talk on his upcoming show more than he was the Pittsburgh Steelers GM and Baltimore Orioles owner he was scheduled to have on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick google news check an hour after the game showed more than double the usual number of TFC related articles. Hat tip to Kurt Larson of the Sun and his excellent articles and twitter feed for getting this team on everyone's radar, hope he keeps pumping out those articles to get the buzz going. We as fans can also do our part by arriving at the games early to pump up our team, intimidate our opponents and make a tangible difference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN could help here by actually having a pre game show like every other sports team in the city does. And some post game analysis would be nice as well. The coverage right now just sucks

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty74 View Post
    TSN could help here by actually having a pre game show like every other sports team in the city does. And some post game analysis would be nice as well. The coverage right now just sucks
    it's not worth the money for TSN to spend more time on TFC. the ratings don't justify the time, more importantly ad slots
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it's not worth the money for TSN to spend more time on TFC. the ratings don't justify the time, more importantly ad slots
    As much as I'd like to see more pre and post game stuff you are completely right. Not sure if I saw one ad last night that wasn't a main sponsor of MLS (Audi, Continental Tire - non stop).
    That means nobody else is buying spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    This is a very, very bad take. There's a market for winning and excitement and people wanting to be part of something.

And I can tell you, a certain ex-league executive I talk to is very disappointed with how this club is being handled on TV/Radio .
    Last edited by KurtLarSUN; 08-25-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this thread is a great idea; We need to show support in numbers to those in the media who cover the team and actually care. I personally will not listen to mclown as he disparages many sports including soccer and then babbles on about the business of hockey in arizona for petes sake. that is not entertainment. Make sure you are logged in to kurt larsuns twitter account. He provides valuable information almost everyday.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing TFC's win earn front page coverage in both the Star and Sun's print edition sports sections, I watched the morning sports casts on both TSN and Sportsnet with interest. The story wasn't buried, but naturally took a back seat to the Jays on Sportsnet. You know something is amiss when Sportsnet put up a more informative report than the network who hold Canadian broadcast rights for MLS. Worse, TSN never bothered to use the time in the report to spotlight the upcoming Toronto-Montreal game on Saturday which they are televising.

Is there anything grimmer than listening to Darrel "Grain Silos for Goalposts" Dutchyshyn try to talk soccer? You can't fake it pal. You know nowt about the game and you've bad-mouthed soccer for years before TSN lost the hockey deal and had to scramble other properties on board. He spent as much time seriously intoning the negative side of the largely irrelevant Hope Solo suspension as he did on the TFC game. Bet he enjoyed that, too. Their website has Noel Butler writing columns on English soccer but nothing lately about MLS. Kristian Jack is notably absent from the site.

One gets the impression that TSN took on MLS so they could strategically muffle coverage and manage it in a manner to not outshine the CFL in any way. Yet the three biggest markets in Canada all feature MLS clubs increasingly outdrawing their CFL counterparts. Slowly and steadily whittling away their importance.

CBC's website is also pathetic at covering MLS. You have to really want to find it and when you do, what little there is is lame.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 08-25-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe how atrocious TSN's coverage of local (Canadian) soccer is. Just checking now and TFC doesn't come up until the 9th headline on their site. This, after the club has been on fire, drawing great crowds and sitting first in their conference. Meanwhile the CFL has 5 articles about this?!?!!?!?!? Absolutely horrendous.

I'd love for another network to pick up MLS rights and treat it with some respect. Leave TSN with their CFL and Curling rights, which considering the demographics that likely watch those sports is right on par with TSN's prehistoric attitude towards soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact that TSN didnt send luke or kristian to do the game last night shows they dont care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    After seeing TFC's win earn front page coverage in both the Star and Sun's print edition sports sections, I watched the morning sports casts on both TSN and Sportsnet with interest. The story wasn't buried, but naturally took a back seat to the Jays on Sportsnet. You know something is amiss when Sportsnet put up a more informative report than the network who hold Canadian broadcast rights for MLS. Worse, TSN never bothered to use the time in the report to spotlight the upcoming Toronto-Montreal game on Saturday which they are televising.

Is there anything grimmer than listening to Darrel "Grain Silos for Goalposts" Dutchyshyn try to talk soccer? You can't fake it pal. You know nowt about the game and you've bad-mouthed soccer for years before TSN lost the hockey deal and had to scramble other properties on board. He spent as much time seriously intoning the negative side of the largely irrelevant Hope Solo suspension as he did on the TFC game. Bet he enjoyed that, too. Their website has Noel Butler writing columns on English soccer but nothing lately about MLS. Kristian Jack is notably absent from the site.

One gets the impression that TSN took on MLS so they could strategically muffle coverage and manage it in a manner to not outshine the CFL in any way. Yet the three biggest markets in Canada all feature MLS clubs increasingly outdrawing their CFL counterparts. Slowly and steadily whittling away their importance.

CBC's website is also pathetic at covering MLS. You have to really want to find it and when you do, what little there is is lame.
    I've been wondering the same thing, hope the MLS leadership observes this and insists on better and consistent coverage, the same way they insisted in the US.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tosaint Ricketts is coming up on Prime Time Sports tonight. At least Jeff Blair in hosting tonight and not Bobcat because if he was the interview would be a joke. Now to be honest is Bob was not on holiday and was there this interview would likely not been booked.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty74 View Post
    That drives me insane.

This team is worthy of a 30 minute pregame show with in-depth analysis. Instead we gt a crummy 30 second briefing and then goes straight to kick off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Network doesn't promote show.

Show doesn't get eyeballs.

Network claims show isn't good enough to get eyeballs.

Is that how this works? I'm sure NBC didn't promote Seinfeld at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Network doesn't promote show.

Show doesn't get eyeballs.

Network claims show isn't good enough to get eyeballs.

Is that how this works? I'm sure NBC didn't promote Seinfeld at all.
    you forgot the network that hides show on channel nobody has and compares ratings to show that is on 4 channels included in most cable packages.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note

Saturday night game is on 3 TSN channels. Will be a good ratings check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrap around programming is critical for building an audience.

Partially it is on the networks for not seeing that as a necessary part of the coverage but it is also on the league for a) not pushing harder on the networks about the issue and b) not doing it themselves via their own media operations. Could crank out a 30 minutes weekly highlights show that networks could throw into the schedule here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Wrap around programming is critical for building an audience.

Partially it is on the networks for not seeing that as a necessary part of the coverage but it is also on the league for a) not pushing harder on the networks about the issue and b) not doing it themselves via their own media operations. Could crank out a 30 minutes weekly highlights show that networks could throw into the schedule here and there.

great idea, they could be used instead of 30 year old Argo games during rain delays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Note

Saturday night game is on 3 TSN channels. Will be a good ratings check.
    Plus we are playing the scum from Montreal, so we get the benefit of adding the RDS and TSN ratings together.

With the added media coverage over the last few weeks, I would hope for 300,000 but would be happy with 250,000.

Small steps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we do have a section for news. that is posted every day with that is found.

Todays News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I can't believe how atrocious TSN's coverage of local (Canadian) soccer is. Just checking now and TFC doesn't come up until the 9th headline on their site. This, after the club has been on fire, drawing great crowds and sitting first in their conference. Meanwhile the CFL has 5 articles about this?!?!!?!?!? Absolutely horrendous.

I'd love for another network to pick up MLS rights and treat it with some respect. Leave TSN with their CFL and Curling rights, which considering the demographics that likely watch those sports is right on par with TSN's prehistoric attitude towards soccer.
    i don't think there is anyone else. SN treats TFC worst than TSN and walked from the whitecaps due to nhl rights cost cutting.
    no other options other than maybe putting the games on leafstv, rogers cable, or even facebook (like CCL games) if TSN walks.
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-26-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a sad state of affairs when you only have two major sports broadcasters in Canada and both of which don't give a crap about TFC and soccer in general.

If only the CBC had its sports budget increased to what it was a few years ago, maybe then we would have respectable coverage.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-26-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBC did a very effective, even enthusiastic, job covering TFC in the early days. I think there's a lingering bitterness from when they lost the deal. Scott Russell is a soccer enthusiast as is Andi Petrillo. Put Nigel Reed in the play-by-play chair, get Kristian Jack in as analyst. Make Vic Rauter do some heavy lifting with reporting from the stands. It would work well, moreso if they had the other two Canadian teams, which wasn't an option back in the day.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 08-26-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    i don't think there is anyone else. SN treats TFC worst than TSN and walked from the whitecaps due to nhl rights cost cutting.
    no other options other than maybe putting the games on leafstv, rogers cable, or even facebook (like CCL games) if TSN walks.
    If Thursday morning's sportscasts are anything to go by, the opposite is true. TSN had that forkwit farmboy D'urrwood Dutchyshynyn doing the verbals to the highlights and he was out of his league. Gerry Dobson is calling TFC games for SN and, in his final season of broadcasting, is still putting in a workmanlike effort.

Plus, SN has the very talented John Molinaro doing broadcast and writing on their website, where he gets solid play. He and Larson at the Sun are the best we have covering TFC. TSN can't come close to that and they are the principal MLS rights holder in Canada. Pathetic.

Don't think for a second that TSN aren't smelling catfood as far as the CFL goes long term. Bell have tried to prop the CFL up with money and blowjob journalism on their networks (TSN, CTV) or in corporately aligned outlets like the Globe and Mail. And it isn't remotely having the effect it needs to have in Canada's three major markets. They need soccer. Maybe more than they realize.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 08-26-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    If Thursday morning's sportscasts are anything to go by, the opposite is true. TSN had that forkwit farmboy D'urrwood Dutchyshynyn doing the verbals to the highlights and he was out of his league. Gerry Dobson is calling TFC games for SN and, in his final season of broadcasting, is still putting in a workmanlike effort.

Plus, SN has the very talented John Molinaro doing broadcast and writing on their website, where he gets solid play. He and Larson at the Sun are the best we have covering TFC. TSN can't come close to that and they are the principal MLS rights holder in Canada. Pathetic.
    More referring to TV coverage at SN - they stick every game on their worst channel.

I get the feeling the TSN is slowly transitioning to putting all their soccer focus on european rights like NBC did.
    We will get more and more of ol' vic because of this
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-26-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing, hope the MLS leadership observes this and insists on better and consistent coverage, the same way they insisted in the US.
    The Conspiracy Theory is strong with you two

What possible gain does a media company get by burying one of its properties?

Rogers keeping TFC down to show the Jays? Or TSN trying to keep them under wraps in order not to take away from focus on the Argos?

Sports coverage can coexist. Any shortage of Leafs and Raptors while in season?

TSN doesn't own the Jays. If anything there would be cause for a strategy to prop up something else to take viewers away. Don't forget MLS and CFL seasons start months apart.

It's not covered mainstream because there isn't mainstream demand for it to be covered. It's grown though. There used to be only enough demand for GolTV and The Score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears the only real answer is for MLS to stop selling the rights nationally, and sell to local stations, then not black out games on MLS live and make money from your streaming service.