Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This run without Irwin will be a test of managements judgement. By all means Knopka was a serviceable and affordable second option.

If Q or Bono are ready, great. Otherwise we've really shot ourselves in the foot here, big time.
    huge, way bigger injury than jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he spends precious cap space buying a 6 week keeper replacement, then Bez will be fired at the end of the season after we fail to get as far as we should with this roster.

Like it or not, we are stuck with 2 prospects. Most teams do this once every couple of seasons - play the backup or the prospects. And they survive because eventually teams figure out how to win around their keeper. Look at NYCFC this season - Josh Saunders is not even backup quality.

We have been playing the backup in these situations. Time to play the prospects. If they work out, fine. If not, then we know what we need to upgrade next season.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Julio Cesar want to come for a summer vacation and help out a little bit?

Irwin has been amazing and our record is still mediocre. Hopefully the scoring comes back for a bit to bail us out of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like those words that we have been using every season since 2007 " next season" might be words we will start using once again very shortly unless they find away of playing without a player that is a major reason their defence has improved so much, let's hope they can find away to keep the improved defence going or else it's back to talk again about "next season" .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to complete the happy thoughts in here

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    It looks like those words that we have been using every season since 2007 " next season" might be words we will start using once again very shortly unless they find away of playing without a player that is a major reason their defence has improved so much, let's hope they can find away to keep the improved defence going or else it's back to talk again about "next season" .
    Every single professional team in the world is thinking about next season during their current season. If anything, TFC has been guilty of not thinking about next season enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know i bring this up alot, but ...

Injuries is where having Bradley and Jozy on the team hurts big time. 1) they miss half the games due to USMNT service or injuries 2) they take up 950k (475+475) of cap space.

We could 4 solid/almost allstar players for that cap hit.
    Depth and competition within roster win in MLS --- you have to be 15-16 MLS-level starters deep to win in MLS .. injuries will happen given the travel and scheduling.
    Last edited by Onyx; 06-28-2016 at 02:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    --- you have to be 15-16 MLS-level starters deep to win in MLS .. injuries will happen given the travel and scheduling.
    No team outside of LAG has that.

Portland didn't last season and won the whole enchilada.

NYRB don't and they look like they might repeat as shield winners.

What teams need is 15-18 good enough players to win games in the unsure environment that is MLS, with its officiating, travel, weather and differences in player quality.

We have that.

What we do not yet have is experience of playing players with other players week in and week out for seasons - that is what occurred in Portland and what is happening in Jersey. Other teams have that squad awareness and then slot people into the system. Teams that don't know each well either struggle until they do or blow it all up to start all over (see Houston of late and TFC since day 1).

As for cap space, DP's gonna cost, no matter what. And they do get injured. That's life in MLS.

We have this assumption that every player we come up against is competent and good and a starter and all the other teams are filled with wonderful players and don't have issues and....

its a myth.

As much as we would like to think our team is specifically more crap then most of the league,

its not.

We have 6 losses.

Average amount per team in the East - 5.4.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-28-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    huge, way bigger injury than jozy
    Time for Q to shine, and for Edwards to be called in. MLS has to take the route of Dallas or Vancouver with Davies and play kids with real talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As for cap space, DP's gonna cost, no matter what. And they do get injured. That's life in MLS.
    Bradley and Jozy have worst combination of injuries and national team duty for a US team that likes to milk friendlies and has tournaments nearly every year.

Its been a mediocre investment so far for me but now it is rapidly becoming terrible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Bradley and Jozy have worst combination of injuries and national team duty for a US team that likes to milk friendlies and has tournaments nearly every year.

Its been a mediocre investment so far for me but now it is rapidly becoming terrible.
    And if Giovinco got called up think of how much time he'd be gone and how he'd look numbers wise too. But that's what happens if you want players good enough to feature for their national teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Would it matter if it's Konopka or Q/Bono flapping and missing a cross? Konopka was part of the reason why our defensive record was so poor.
    At last look Knopka was at least a par for the course MLS backup.

Neither of the other guys have proven to be on that level yet. From what I've seen at the USL level raises a few questions to say the least. All forgiven if its works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have 6 losses.
    Average amount per team in the East - 5.4.
    So we are 10% worse than the average Eastern team... highest roster in the league. What's missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Bradley has missed 5 games in this run... has Josie played 50% of the total games he's been signed for? We can do a lot better with $5-6 Million/year DP signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Time for Q to shine, and for Edwards to be called in. MLS has to take the route of Dallas or Vancouver with Davies and play kids with real talent.
    we have too many midfield prospects and not enough wingers. Mannella has shown no signs of breaking into the first team after how many seasons??? I'd like to see us cut him and sign Edwards to a homegrown deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    we have too many midfield prospects and not enough wingers. Mannella has shown no signs of breaking into the first team after how many seasons??? I'd like to see us cut him and sign Edwards to a homegrown deal
    Semi-true about Manella (although he hasn't really gotten a fair chance) , but before we talk about too many midfield prospects.. We have wayyyy too many defence options - CB speaking. Simonin, Bloom, Hagglund, whoever need to go first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    So we are 10% worse than the average Eastern team... highest roster in the league. What's missing?
    Referee eyesight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Semi-true about Manella (although he hasn't really gotten a fair chance) , but before we talk about too many midfield prospects.. We have wayyyy too many defence options - CB speaking. Simonin, Bloom, Hagglund, whoever need to go first.
    Pretty sure I Harped on our glut of defensive prospects going into this past offseason, still think we should be making a straight up swap for a depth striker. Mullins for Hagglund would be so clutch @bez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't people saying the same thing about Hamilton until he was actually given a shot? Maybe instead of clamoring for him to be released people should push for him to be given a shot?
    Last edited by Pint; 06-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Home games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Referee eyesight
    Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait? I agree that Manella has not been provided many opportunities in the first team, but he's been solidly impressive in USL for two seasons now. I would be very disappointed to cut him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    This appears to be just for one game. The question is, did we offer the same for James and Johnson that played in the other game - or Edwards for the first leg?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm reasonably sure you can sign USL players to 4 day contracts for domestic cups and CCL. I think you can do 4 at a time and a player can only sign the contract 2 or 3 times a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Good he is better than Hamilton, IMHO

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I'm reasonably sure you can sign USL players to 4 day contracts for domestic cups and CCL. I think you can do 4 at a time and a player can only sign the contract 2 or 3 times a year.
    I assume James and Johnson were signed to one of these short term deals and it was just not publically anounced but I am not completely sure. You can note that An MLS club may sign a player to a maximum of four short-term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days).

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I assume James and Johnson were signed to one of these short term deals and it was just not publically anounced but I am not completely sure. You can note that An MLS club may sign a player to a maximum of four short-term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days).
    okay so it is 4 separate deals... they only for cup competitions and friendlies as well no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Good he is better than Hamilton, IMHO
    Not exactly a parallel comparison.

We should give our young guys time to adjust and develop. Hamilton is still only 20 years old - there is a ton of upside there if we're patient. Give him a few seasons at least - not saying he needs to be playing as much as he is now, but none the less...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little confused as Edwards has already made the game day roster for a V-Cup game and other TFC II players have already played in one without a senior contract... not sure if they also signed short term deals and they just weren't announced or if there's some reason that it was necessary for Edwards this time. Regardless, happy to see him earn a chance with the first team, he absolutely deserves it.