Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Piette seems to have a poor opinion of MLS from previous comments. Maybe his mind has changed since then. I assume if he were to come back, he would more likely go to the Impact.
    i think he signed with a 2nd div spanish side.he ave at best,i rather have delgado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    With equally leaden feet. Osorio's strength is his touch. The only value to playing him is offensive. I think Og is right about surviving by adapating, I just don't think he has the tools to do it. He either starts opening up defenses with passing and vision or he ends up a utility bench player, maybe not even that (given how most bench lifers in MLS can play multiple positions.)
    I kept on thinking (hoping) Vanney/Fraser can drill some purpose into his game play. Reason he's not effective to me is the lack of a determined objective to accomplish. Giovinco/Bradley can dictate tempo and read the game and influence its direction because they instantly know (football IQ) at any given moment, where open space is and runners position to make a play. Osorio receives with his good touch, then have no idea or not making up his mind on where the ball should be played to. He then back passes, or hold on to it too long, or elects less effective options with passing or penetration. Occasional technical brilliance here and there but cannot dictate play as AM.

Maybe just me though.. some rigid tactical drill may help.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Considering MLS counts the second assist, I wouldn't rely on those statistics, other than the obvious drop off in goals.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't rate him at all. Wouldn't stutter for a second if he was traded.
    Without 2nd assists the count would be 0, then 2, then 5. Still trending well.

My opinion is that he broke into a team that was frankly garbage offensively and had to carry more weight going forward, so he came in and scored a handful of goals. As the team improved he dropped deeper (and was also shifted to LM), but the perception of him as a guy that you expect to chip in with a goal every so often still remains. Most people from my experience point to the drop in goals but ignore the rise in assists and passing percentage year over year.

That being said. He has 1 direct assist this year (two 2nd assists) and his passing percentage is the lowest it's been since entering the league. By the stats and the eye test, he's having a down year. I would be sad to see him go, but if I'm being honest with myself it would mostly be because he's a hometown Canadian kid, not entirely because of the player we'd be losing. I really hope he can turn it around though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    I kept on thinking (hoping) Vanney/Fraser can drill some purpose into his game play. Reason he's not effective to me is the lack of a determined objective to accomplish. Giovinco/Bradley can dictate tempo and read the game and influence its direction because they instantly know (football IQ) at any given moment, where open space is and runners position to make a play. Osorio receives with his good touch, then have no idea or not making up his mind on where the ball should be played to. He then back passes, or hold on to it too long, or elects less effective options with passing or penetration. Occasional technical brilliance here and there but cannot dictate play as AM.

Maybe just me though.. some rigid tactical drill may help.
    I think he is beyond that. He will always double clutch, take extra touches, wait until there are no options, and get caught standing around because he's been doing it for so long. It is his nature now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think he is beyond that. He will always double clutch, take extra touches, wait until there are no options, and get caught standing around because he's been doing it for so long. It is his nature now.
    Well he did move from having to take 2 touches a few weeks ago to having to take one touch in last week's games....its an improvement of sorts.

BTW don't expect us to go looking for another forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust in Greg "Seba is an AM" Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well he did move from having to take 2 touches a few weeks ago to having to take one touch in last week's games....its an improvement of sorts.

BTW don't expect us to go looking for another forward

Why would we want to look for another forward though? We have Giovinco, Altidore, Hamilton, Babouli and now Ricketts.
    As Tim B alluded to we need an attacking midfield playmaker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Vanney believes Giovinco is an AM. I think that was just a rumour that was created either on here or by the media.
    Correct me if I am wrong though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do that with anyone. I'll give it a couple tries.

Trust in Sir Alex "bought Anderson for 30 million pounds" Ferguson.
    Trust in Jose "called Eden Hazard a pussy too many times" Mourinho.
    trust in Arsene "thinks Jack Wilshere is a world class player" Wenger.

A very extensive and thorough examination of a coaches ability, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Why would we want to look for another forward though? We have Giovinco, Altidore, Hamilton, Babouli and now Ricketts.
    As Tim B alluded to we need an attacking midfield playmaker
    4-3-3(*)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe that Vanney believes Giovinco is an AM. I think that was just a rumour that was created either on here or by the media.
    I absolutely remember them playing him up as an AM. Where did he play when he got here? Was it as a forward from day 1 or did they ever line him up as an AM?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody but Seba was saying that he was an AM when he came here. He was asked what his best position is in his first interview - he said striker. He was a striker from game one of the friendlies. The Vancouver game he was playing recessed in a 4-4-1-1.

Slagging Vanney for saying this at the time is kinda silly.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-21-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I absolutely remember them playing him up as an AM. Where did he play when he got here? Was it as a forward from day 1 or did they ever line him up as an AM?
    started the first road trip playing solidly under Altidore as an AM. He was playing as a second forward by the time the team played their first game in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post

Well out of those examples Mourinho at least got it right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Osorio - New & improved - Now 50% more efficient

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At any rate, I think we need to spend a DP slot to get a proper AM. So that is likely a close season item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not defending Bekker but the Impact start him too so it's not just Floro. I think he's crap but others see things in him. I think only our managers see a lot in Osorio. Not sure he'd start anywhere else in MLS.
    Spiteful moves towards us comes from many places it seems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

started the first road trip playing solidly under Altidore as an AM. He was playing as a second forward by the time the team played their first game in Toronto.
    A man of ability makes his own way in this world and defines his own self. He was brought in as an AM, he manouvered from that to 2nd striker to finally being our primary prima donna striker lol. The only thing missing is he isn't biting center backs' ears off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    A man of ability makes his own way in this world and defines his own self. He was brought in as an AM, he manouvered from that to 2nd striker to finally being our primary prima donna striker lol. The only thing missing is he isn't biting center backs' ears off.
    give him time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the presser where Seba was unveiled. Vanney's calls him a 10 and then Seba says he's a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Watch the presser where Seba was unveiled. Vanney's calls him a 10 and then Seba says he's a striker.
    Well I'm sure he doesn't think that anymore lol.
    But in all seriousness, people using that on here to try and discredit Vanney is just being silly.
    And I also do believe that some people consider a number 10 as a second striker playing behind a target man.
    However, I don't think it really matters at this point who thinks what, he is our main goal scorer and that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol wow are you seriously comparing one of Vanney's many mistakes to failed risks made by the biggest and most successful managers on the planet?
    I get that it pains you to see any drop of negativity aimed at TFC but that's just idiotic.

Vanney/Bez said in the presser that he thought Seba was best as an AM seconds before Seba said he was best as a Forward. Funny how that doesn't come up in a conversation prior to the actual presser.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every single TFC journo thought he was an AM or a LAM, and that included those who follow Juve like Molinaro and Riccio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol wow are you seriously comparing one of Vanney's many mistakes to failed risks made by the biggest and most successful managers on the planet?
    I get that it pains you to see any drop of negativity aimed at TFC but that's just idiotic.

Vanney/Bez said in the presser that he thought Seba was best as an AM seconds before Seba said he was best as a Forward. Funny how that doesn't come up in a conversation prior to the actual presser.
    Some players don't necessarily know their best roles.

I'm probably in the minority - but I think Seba is best at AM and running at defenders from deep. He's not a poacher and he don't hold the ball up particularly well - but he's class with the ball at his feet running at players. When I think of the goals Seba has scored, his best have been running from outside the box with a TFC player in front of him. He's deadly from range. Lately Seba has played an isolated striker role and it doesn't work for him IMO. He needs to play next to a big man, or running from deep, and never alone as the sole striker, that isn't his strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I was implying that it was a poor argument. I don't have a problem being negative about the team so long as it's earned and the positives about the team and the organization are weighed similarly. People on here get very stuck on the negatives sometimes, and it's hard to cut through the negative rhetoric and look at the bigger picture.

If you want people to agree with your assessment of Vanney's ability, you're going to have to show more of your work is all I'm saying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm sure he doesn't think that anymore lol.
    But in all seriousness, people using that on here to try and discredit Vanney is just being silly.
    And I also do believe that some people consider a number 10 as a second striker playing behind a target man.
    However, I don't think it really matters at this point who thinks what, he is our main goal scorer and that's all that matters.
    On your last point - you don't have to be a "striker" or playing the no.9 position to be the main goal threat.

There is no doubt that Seba is our main goal threat. But main goal threats can come from deep. Look at Ronaldo - he's always been best coming from deep and doesn't usually play the "no.9" position. I would call Ronaldo an attacking midfielder more than a "striker".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    On your last point - you don't have to be a "striker" or playing the no.9 position to be the main goal threat.

There is no doubt that Seba is our main goal threat. But main goal threats can come from deep. Look at Ronaldo - he's always been best coming from deep and doesn't usually play the "no.9" position. I would call Ronaldo an attacking midfielder more than a "striker".
    Totally agree with you. That is why I referred to him as our main goal scorer regardless of what his position may be. Just look at Frank Lampard as a good example of a non-striker who scored goals by the boatload his entire career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably in the minority - but I think Seba is best at AM and running at defenders from deep. He's not a poacher and he don't hold the ball up particularly well - but he's class with the ball at his feet running at players. When I think of the goals Seba has scored, his best have been running from outside the box with a TFC player in front of him. He's deadly from range. Lately Seba has played an isolated striker role and it doesn't work for him IMO. He needs to play next to a big man, or running from deep, and never alone as the sole striker, that isn't his strength.
    I agree with you there. He also tends to drift into that role anyway if he's not getting decent service, or if we need a goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a couple players like that E.g. Totti, Dempsey, David Villa that skirt the line between forward and attacking mid. I believe Brendan Rogers described them as 9 and a halves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    It's going to take alot more than 12 million for MLSE to consider it. I wonder if a team came in at like 36 million; then they might have to think about it.
    Really? Didn't we get him for free?
    Last edited by Lennon; 07-21-2016 at 02:56 PM.